• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[THEORY] 5 move slots in Sun/Moon?

As a semi-frequent competitive battler, this is a scary prospect. I really do hope that we're just misinterpretating some entirely separate new mechanic here. Even if this fifth moveslot is exclusively for HM moves, Surf and Waterfall are both good moves on their own and I'm not sure if I'd want to be seeing stuff like Azumarill, Mega Gyarados, and Mega Sharpedo abusing this aspect of convenience...
On the other hand, what if they separate the field move aspect of hms from the moves used in battle? Waterfall just becomes a good move, and the ability to climb waterfalls goes into this 5th slot, to be used only outside of battle?

Or maybe the field moves are shown in battle (still separate from the battle moves they used to be) and they can be used to clear stuff on the battlefield, like in XY, but now you waste a turn if you want to do that. And in online play it would be totally useless? It's an idea.

But if they need to have a button for Mega Evolution, where would they place Fusion Evolution if we do have such a mechanic?
Presumably you can't do both at the same time. The Mega Evolution button only appears when you have a Mega Stone so I don't see an issue.

Presumably you can't do both at the same time. The Mega Evolution button only appears when you have a Mega Stone so I don't see an issue.
That's true. I assumed that both would be present at the same time. Possibly Fusion will be available to a select few, maybe the starters and Iwanka, and Mega to final evolutions.

I have to agree with the statement of Mega and Fusion button placement not being an issue. That said, I still don't know if I like the idea of a 5th move slot, but it'd add a nice twist and reduce the 'Ugh, another HM' problem...

there is a switch symbol,maybe we will get extra move slots to switch moves between battles, that would be useful, that you can use only 4 but you can have more and switch them from a battle to another.
pokemon Fussion rather not, but mega evolution via move could be posibble.

Last edited:
I highly doubt they would add a 5th move. They did want to do that back when Ruby and Sapphire were being made, but later scrapped the plans to do that. Same goes for changing the starters typing from the traditional Grass/Fire/Water trio like a rumor stated back before Gen 4 came out, and the same goes for how many Gyms there will be (even though we have yet to meet any Gym Leaders), it's one of those things that's traditional for the franchise, so I don't expect it to change.

Fifth moveslot would be broken.. If they will be used in battle.

I think the fifth one would be a temporary space to save us the trouble of going to move deleters for HMs and relearning TMs all over again..

We already know that during battle there will be 4 moveslots only. The 5th one appearing during Pokemon selection. I believe that the ones available for the battle would be the first four moves only and the 5th is like a reserve. We can of course rearrange the moves. It'd be a nice touch.

As much as I wish we were getting 5 attacks, because its on the stat page but not the battle phase, leads me to believe its a 5th slot for learning a move when you have to delete one. This from the OP's list of theories:
  • This screen will also be used when a Pokémon learns a move and thus showing 5 moves of which you have to delete one.

There may be added relevance to this theory now with the recent site update teasing moves that have "never been seen before," or such. I'm paraphrasing.

It being coupled with Professor Kukui studying Pokemon moves and there being anecdotal evidence that the mysterious new wristbands are given to you earlier than later, an alternate or fifth move activated in a unique manner seems entirely possible.

It's either a slot for these special moves or a separate slot for HM's so you don't have to waste a slot on Cut or Rock Smash.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom