• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[Theory] All Regions will appear in Fifth-Gen

Baby Becca

Reaction score
I came across this entry on Bulbapedia:

In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, Professor Oak explains that Sinnoh, Kanto, and Hoenn (and probably Johto and others) are part of a larger country, whose name has yet to be revealed.

What if, in Fifth-Gen, you wander around the ENTIRE COUNTRY! ["Yet to be revealed" = Nintendo Clue???]

Imagine how EPIC that game would be?

- Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Sevii Island, ______ [perhaps Nintendo will add a new "state" to this unnamed country?]

In HeartGold and SoulSilver, the Sinnoh Gymleaders made cameos, as well as Hoenn Champion Steven Stone.

Instead of Easter Eggs, maybe Nintendo was alluding to them being united under one game!

LOL, just a thought....

EDIT:

Memory would not be an issue; following Moore's Law.

You can buy a flash card up to 32 gig's.

Last edited:
And how could the DS's memory keep all of that? Not gonna happen.

that would be awesome, its very unlikely but A-W-E-S-O-M-E i would pay double possible triple the normal price for that.

Well, it is Theory Thursday...

But, that idea is very large. It would be such a cool game. The only thing about it would be (in my opinion) that it wouldn't be a 5th gen. game; maybe a 7th or 8th (if they make one); or there would be a large time-gap between gen. 5 and gen. 6. It would take a LONG time to incorporate all the aspects of every region. If this game were to be made, it would most likely signal the end of the Pokemon games...

Anywho, nice thought!

Last edited:
And how could the DS's memory keep all of that? Not gonna happen.

Um, you do realize the amount of Flash Memory doubles approximately once a year?

It's known as Moore's Law.

You can buy a flash card up to 32 Gig's.

In fact, the price of Flash Memory has gone down so much in the past two years, a game like this wouldn't have been possible in 2007. [Well, you'd be paying 80 bucks a game].

Um, you do realize the amount of Flash Memory doubles approximately once a year?

It's known as Moore's Law.

You can buy a flash card up to 32 Gig's.

In fact, the price of Flash Memory has gone down so much in the past two years, a game like this wouldn't have been possible in 2007. [Well, you'd be paying 80 bucks a game].

Sure, flash does; but DS cartridges have an upper limit. There's only so much the DS can take... on a technological timescale, it's now quite antiquated. Reputedly, the largest DS cartridge can accomodate 512MB. Even assuming that were large enough to accomodate all four regions (without any Gold/Silver-esque cutbacks to any of them), such a game would strain a DS to the breaking point in regards to processing power, and the pathetic quantity of RAM it has.

I wouldn't say all the regions in a single game...that'd be a bit too much (not memory, but just...huge game). I can see Hoenn returning...but the others? I doubt it.

2vjueyb.jpg

No, no, no. The levels, like with Tohjo, would be insanely spread out and leveling up would be a pain.

Sure, flash does; but DS cartridges have an upper limit. There's only so much the DS can take... on a technological timescale, it's now quite antiquated. Reputedly, the largest DS cartridge can accomodate 512MB. Even assuming that were large enough to accomodate all four regions (without any Gold/Silver-esque cutbacks to any of them), such a game would strain a DS to the breaking point in regards to processing power, and the pathetic quantity of RAM it has.

Well, the fifth Gen. Pokemon game is being made for the 3DS, is it not?

I'm sure Nintendo would upgrade their hardware's RAM and general processing powers.

As for the regular DS's memory limit - I've used 2G homebrew cards.

Is the 512MB limit a firmware issue? [I've..."edited" my firmware]

If the firmware won't recognize cards over 512MB, that might be an issue...

Also, concerning the DS's low RAM [which is actually noticeable if you play Platinum on the original DS - the moves have lag - especially Thundershock - it can freeze the game]

Low RAM is manageable for a game of that size, however; the graphics would have to use a low framerate.

& it wouldn't take forever to make - The Regions Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh are already updated.

All they'd have to remake is Hoenn and the Sevii Islands.

& it wouldn't take forever to make - The Regions Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh are already updated.

All they'd have to remake is Hoenn and the Sevii Islands.

What I meant was: all of those regions you mentioned and the new 5th gen. region wouldn.......................................................................................it sounded better in my head.........................*I don't know how the people that make the games make the games,* so I don't want to assume anymore...

But still, nice idea!

I love how the misuse of the word theory to make this seem like its an original idea supported by a lot of evidence.

Bulbapedia is a fan edited encyclopedia. The reason it says all these regions are part of a larger country yet to be named is because these places are called regions and not countries themselves and the fact that they are based off of regions in Japan. Game Freak has no obligation to reveal "Japan"'s name.

The wording in the entry isn't foreshadowing anything, its just the person wrote the entry, and it isn't at all misleading except for people who manage to pull anything out of nothing (which is like 80% of this fandom). There is a possibility that it would be given a name, but there is no obligation to, nor do they have to add all the regions in one game when they can just make a passing reference to it in that region's Library or from an NPC if they get creative and actually have you as a foreigner.

Well, the fifth Gen. Pokemon game is being made for the 3DS, is it not?

I'm sure Nintendo would upgrade their hardware's RAM and general processing powers.

Oh, the 3DS will likely have the processing muscle of a Gamecube. But Gen V for the 3DS isn't a sure thing... in fact the popular opinion here is that Gen V will be a regular DS release.

As for the regular DS's memory limit - I've used 2G homebrew cards.

A flashcart with a microSD isn't the same thing as a real cartridge. I've used 16GB microSD cards with a flashcart on my DS. These flashcarts are built to support SD cards of this size. However, real Nintendo cartridges use a type of solid-state mask ROM, which is written to during the actual fabrication process. Just saying you can go out and buy 32GB MicroSDs doesn't mean it's equally cheap to manufacture mask ROM memory at that size. Also, the larger the cartridges get, apparently the access-time suffers as well. Not a good combination if you're planning a massive game.

However, it's been stated many times that due to whatever reasons (be it some hardware limitation of the DS itself, the manufacturing process of cartridges, etc.) the maximum cartridge size Nintendo manufactures and offers to their developers is 512MB. Even if it could change (which I doubt, as it probably is a hardware limition of the DS), it's not going to now.

Is the 512MB limit a firmware issue? [I've..."edited" my firmware]

The DS Phat/Lite firmware isn't upgradeable, so even if it were a firmware limit (which I doubt), this would be irrelevant.

Also, concerning the DS's low RAM [which is actually noticeable if you play Platinum on the original DS - the moves have lag - especially Thundershock - it can freeze the game]

Low RAM is manageable for a game of that size, however; the graphics would have to use a low framerate.

D/P/Pt/Hg/Ss already had to resort to half the framerate of the GBA Pokemon games, and they're still noticeably sluggish. Going with a framerate any lower than Gen IV's wouldn't be feasible.

Last edited:
I would prefer, if they did this (which I sure hope they don't) that things would go down anime style and you would restart your team after each region/every 2 regions/whatever because the game would be insanely long and changing the teams would keep it interesting (note: you wouldn't lose your pokemon).

I don't see this happening. But what they could do is remake each region partially, like, the 8 Gyms and E4 from the main region, and 3 Gyms per region for the other region, or only the E4 for every region (Except the main region, with the E4+8 Gyms)

Well I would hate the levels.
They could just do this
Pokemon (TBA title) would have Johto and Hoenn
Pokemon (TBA title) would have Kanto and Sinnoh
That way one of the two gen 5 games would have two regions and the other would have the other two regions...
Wait I totally forgot about the TBA 5th region itself...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom