• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theory: Gen Seven's Third Game

The problem with DLC is not everyone would have access to it. I think Game Freak would rather sell the games as a whole rather than leaving a chunk out that you have to download. It would probably make the games unpopular if we have post game content restricted to DLC. Mythical pokemon getting download is okay since they are mythical but content from the game itself wouldn't be very popular in my opinion.
And I certainly do agree, but when the game is called Pokemon and is all about Pokemon I personally feel it's a bad idea to lock pokemon behind DLC. And yet GameFreak has done it in every generation. Now, certainly this DLC is easier to acquire than ever thanks to wireless events, but it still remains as downloadable content that will be released whenever GameFreak remembers to (there were 4 DLCs planned for platinum that never saw the light of day).

Really, based on their practices I don't think it's implausable for GameFreak to do more with DLC related quests and areas. In fact, they're already done stuff like that. I will never again be able to do the Giovanni event in HGSS Without hacking.

but when the game is called Pokemon and is all about Pokemon I personally feel it's a bad idea to lock pokemon behind DLC. And yet GameFreak has done it in every generation.

The next game after Sun and Moon, whatever it is, should really just be the ultimate: every Pokémon available in one version, even Mythicals.

The next game after Sun and Moon, whatever it is, should really just be the ultimate: every Pokémon available in one version, even Mythicals.
I think that is impossible. How would Game Freak stick every pokemon in the game including mythical? If they were to do that then it should be for the final pokemon game in the franchise but I doubt it would happen since Pokemon is too popular to end in my opinion.

But why exactly "should" the next game after SM be "ultimate"? Is there any particular reason for why gen 7 should have every pokemon crammed in one game but the others shouldn't?

No particular reason, but maybe once they reach Generation X(10) they should make the ultimate. I was merely suggesting it for a final game, which could very easily be in Gen VII, though very unlikely.

If Sinnoh remakes happen in Generation VII (I think it's a bit early unless we got 1-2 more games after SM, and still) they may bring a sense of "closure" to the series, especially if we get to deal with Arceus.

I did hear a theory yesterday that SuMo would be the last of the series before a complete franchise reboot.

I personally think that's ridiculous, but it's always possible.

But why should the series get a "closure" to begin with? The series is selling in millions and millions of copies. So unless it started to signifiantly decrease in sales, i don't see why should it get a "closure" now.
A sense of closure to the plot threads that past games have opened wouldn't be a bad thing. There is still enough room for new games to be made.
Gen IV itself felt like a closure with its mythology explaining "everything" at the time, but that wouldn't stop them from creating Gen V.
I did hear a theory yesterday that SuMo would be the last of the series before a complete franchise reboot.

I personally think that's ridiculous, but it's always possible.
"Complete reboot" is a vague term in itself. Gen V felt like a reboot as well... but was it "complete"? What does define "complete"?

I agree that it's ridiculous, because as already stated several times, the franchise is still selling so there shouldn't be any reason for it to really change that drastically.

I think a reboot would be pointless since they could just carry on the current games that they are doing. The only we know what would come after Sun and Moon is when everyone has played the games for a year or two. At that time, the next game(s) would be revealed and we will know by then.

I suppose I should remind everyone that Game Freak has done DLC for Pokemon since pretty much Gen 2 (the celebi cell phone event thing with the GS ball). Since then we've had all sorts of nintendo events with exclusive pokemon downloads, the gamestop offers, mystery gift, even the event legendaries such as Arceus or Diancie. And while most people don't consider them DLC because they are free, that's not necessarily the right mindset to have. We've been telling GameFreak for years that so long as they make their DLC widely available to everyone then we will use it. Even the Pokemon Bank, according to the last stats I saw, is still decently popular even with the annual fee.

Basically, if GameFreak decided that they wanted to put out a downloadable expansion for their base game rather than release a whole new game, they probably could and would do that. And in this day and age of gaming it might actually be the most efficient method to expand the current generation.
The mythical events are not DLC, or at least not downloadable as much as on cartridge AOC. Of course its a pretty insignifanct amount of content to even treat that as a measuring stick for GF of how accepting the fanbase is of DLC. Same thing for Pokemon Bank, there has been a console based storage solution from gen 1 to store Pokemon out of the games, gen 5 was the odd man out actually.

In general DLC for GF is a very fickle matter and I can't see it happening. Hell the reason there is no 3rd version anymore has to be the advent of DLC, as it would be more then hypocritical to release one after Masuda's statement on DLC.

I think a reboot would be pointless since they could just carry on the current games that they are doing. The only we know what would come after Sun and Moon is when everyone has played the games for a year or two. At that time, the next game(s) would be revealed and we will know by then.
Besides that, Gen VI was already kind of a reboot in the first place. Another one so soon would be a little silly imo.

Pokemon needs as much closure as Mario needs closure. It doesn't, Nintendo will keep making more Pokemon games until no one wants any more.

Pokemon needs as much closure as Mario needs closure. It doesn't, Nintendo will keep making more Pokemon games until no one wants any more.
That's like what I was thinking - eventually they'll have to finish the series, and when they do, it'll have to be the most complete game ever.

That is to say, every single Pokémon would be obtainable in one game, even mythicals.
Plus stuff like battling every Gym Leader, Elite Four, Champion, etc. would be awesome.
Oh. Eeeh, that would be a bit of a game design nightmare imo. I don't know how that could be done well unless you took the B&W2 route for battling all the previous Gym Leaders, Elite Four, etc a la the World Championship.

Am I the only one who just rolls his eyes and goes not again whenever the subject of returning to Kalos pops up again and again?
Well, it could be handled in a manner like Gold/Silver/Crystal and the remakes. You clear Alola and then go back and explore Kalos.

It worked with G/S/C because Johto was relatively small by itself and Kanto took up half of the game. I don't think that Alola is going to be just one half of the game. While I'm not flat out against a return to Kalos if they can make it work and I can understand why people would want to go back, I'd much rather see them use the space to flesh out Alola some more. What little we've seen of the region already makes it look gorgeous and full of life in my opinion. I'd prefer seeing more of that with the various islands than fly back to Kalos at some point.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom