• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(Theory) Good vs Evil and A Death Mechanic

So? Why can't kids be exposed to death in Pokemon? Exposing children to the concept of death is Taboo because of overly concerned parents and overly concerned fools, who want nothing more than to hide their kids from the realities of life and of human fatality.

Not like Pokemon will turn into a free for all death match or torture game like Saw.

Because, here it comes, we'll have parents complain about it. And I'm sure GameFreak doesn't like that. Also it'll get a higher agerating, and GameFreak loses a big target audience.

So that's why. I mean, Australian parents already complained that pokémon was supposed to be occult, so you can foresee how those parents react on pokémon death.

If gambling is not allowed in Pokemon, why would pokemon visibly dying be allowed. Referencing it, getting death past the radar in subtle way like they did with Marowak and Gary's Raticate or Giovanni himself, is not easy and is seldom done. If a pokemon visibly dies on screen, or multiple deaths occur, or death replaces fainting, POKEMON WOULD BE IN A LAWSUIT LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE. If gambling gets just protests, outright death would get hell.

I don't see how cause parents will get mad is a reason, and I did ask why should kids not be allowed to have death more involved in Pokemon.

1) If your Pokemon dies in battle, that pretty much implies that the trainer let it die. And that you suck.

But how is that a reason to prevent including death more in Pokemon. Alot of other games involve death alot more freely and are easily available to children.

I don't see how cause parents will get mad is a reason, and I did ask why should kids not be allowed to have death more involved in Pokemon.

Because their parents don't want them to play games that involve death. That should be argument enough.

And of course the result of this, will be less profit for Nintendo, which of course also is a no-go (because the goal of almost every companies, is the biggest possible profit).

"I'm very careful about violence in games. I'm not interested in creating violent effects...I was really careful in making monsters faint rather than die. I think that young people playing games have an abnormal concept about dying. They start to lose and say, "I'm dying." It's not right for kids to think about a concept of death that way. They need to treat death with more respect."
-Satoshi Tajiri

Yeah, no.

But how is that a reason to prevent including death more in Pokemon. Alot of other games involve death alot more freely and are easily available to children.

There's a huge difference between something being "available to children" and something being "aimed at children."

"I'm very careful about violence in games. I'm not interested in creating violent effects...I was really careful in making monsters faint rather than die. I think that young people playing games have an abnormal concept about dying. They start to lose and say, "I'm dying." It's not right for kids to think about a concept of death that way. They need to treat death with more respect."

/thread. The player's Pokemon should not die, end of story.

I think Pokemon having a rather active lack of "death" content in it is nice.
People can play the game and not worry about such a serious reality-hitting subject. Very much like escapism. While Pokemon does have elements that dance around the subject, such as Pokedex Entries for some of the Ghost Pokemon, and certain locations & events (dead Marowak in R/B/Y/FR/LG being key), it never hits home on it which in a way is a nice reality for (especially younger) children to live in. If kids want to play games that feature death, then something like the aforementioned Monster Rancher is more suitable. Or a Psychiatrist.

Just throwin' my penny in the fountain n' all that.

-Satoshi Tajiri

Yeah, no.

I think you are the coolest new member we've had in a while. Thank you.

-Satoshi Tajiri

Yeah, no.
Huh, I didn't know that. Well, if the "death" mechanic I proposed was referenced to differently would it be more except able? Perhaps if it was referenced to as a lose of spirit, or will, or something like that. The Pokemon faints, and loses its spirit. The evil team promises to bring its spirit back, if they join, but never do. That sounds a little more plausible. I mean, everyone has been so focused on the death aspect that not a single person has thought of the mechanic and how it could still legitimately play into a plot. Most people have just been posting silly irrelevant pictures to flame me for proposing this.

So yeah, if it was more along those lines do you think it would be excepted?

I am agreeing that what Pokemon need now is a gritty reboot. The main character should say things like 'FUCKING SHIT COCKS GODDAMN!!!' Are you listening, GamefReak!!? US POKEMON FAns can handle swear words!

Also,
33272wi.jpg

314bh5d.jpg

2jb7ct4.jpg

20p7uok.png

289l4h.png

2vww6qw.jpg

I find these to be relevant.

What the hell?

i would hate a death mechanic for pokemon. Monster Rancher for Ps1 Had it.
I hated it so darn much.

in Monster Rancher I would train my Monsters make them learn attacks and enter contests and the BOOM (head-shot) DEAD. restart the process again.

It was so hard to get anywhere.

the same can be said with the Digimon game for ps1. =( THEY ALWAYS DIE

I pray to God that Pokemon NEVER goes down that Horrid path.

Yeah, but Monster Rancher used that concept effectively. My Fly Eyeball Monster lived way beyond his life expectancy, and when he died another one of my monsters was born with a "curse" that planted a skull on its chest. When I eventually combined it with something else, I had a ghost monster with a top hat that I named Jr. While this is off-topic and probably too dark of a concept for Pokemon, the death of my Eyeball monster eventually produced a Ghost Monster that I couldn't have gotten off of any CD.

Huh, I didn't know that. Well, if the "death" mechanic I proposed was referenced to differently would it be more except able? Perhaps if it was referenced to as a lose of spirit, or will, or something like that. The Pokemon faints, and loses its spirit. The evil team promises to bring its spirit back, if they join, but never do. That sounds a little more plausible. I mean, everyone has been so focused on the death aspect that not a single person has thought of the mechanic and how it could still legitimately play into a plot. Most people have just been posting silly irrelevant pictures to flame me for proposing this.

That's still pretty much the Shadow mechanic then.

I think you are the coolest new member we've had in a while. Thank you.

Thanks. :)

That's almost exactly like the shadow mechanic. I could see it in an XD sequel, but nowhere else. A main series game isn't going to borrow a concept a spinoff.

Interesting that most people don't want 'death', yet, in ALL of the Pokemon Games, there is a Cemetary :/

I do believe that death is in this game, just in a way that kiddies won't notice.

Interesting that most people don't want 'death', yet, in ALL of the Pokemon Games, there is a Cemetary :/

I do believe that death is in this game, just in a way that kiddies won't notice.

There's a big difference between death as a subtle story element (like Marowak) and death as an actual game mechanic that happens as you play.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom