• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theory:Original Sprite/Monochrome Pokemon

ToddMann10000

Pokemon Collector
Reaction score
When X & Y came out, i understand there was a minor glitch in the game, which caused some Pokemon to come out looking like they had no coloration. I never encountered any, so i don't know how true it is. All i know is, when i heard about it, people were calling them "Monochrome Pokemon" and likening them to Shiny Pokemon.

Then we had the original game being re-released on the eShop, and confirmation that you would be able to transfer your Pokemon from Red, Blue and Yellow to Sun and Moon.

My theory is, that when/if we Do transfer these pokemon, if/when we withdraw the Pokemon from Pokemon Bank, instead of them appearing in their full 3d models, we will have the original sprites instead. A 2d, black and white sprite in a 3d battle environment.

It would be a simple skin change, so would be very easy to implement, and as the originals didn't have battle animations (other than the attacks) not much, if any, extra coding would be required.

Would this be a cool feature? Or is it as pointless as Shinies? Would you use a monochrome Pokemon, given the chance? Will this even be a thing or am i babbling complete nonsense again?

A 2D sprite in a 3D environment would be a wayyyy bigger change than just a Pokemon with no palette. Not gonna happen.

Black and white monochrome Pokemon would be do-able, but I doubt we're getting Dot Pokemon like the Dot Digimon in certain Digimon games.

I don't think this would happen in my opinion. Shiny pokemon, mega evolutions and alternate forms are enough versions of pokemon in my opinion.

I do kind of like the idea of Gen 1 transfers being monochrome (though not relevant at all for yellow version), but I agree that 2D would require more work than just a color filter, thus unlikely to happen.

Monochrome Pokémon from the VCs is a seriously brilliant idea, but making them 2D would be a bit much and I think it would look very awkward with everything else.

Fair points on the "2d sprites not being possible/hard to do" comments.

I'm imagining it like the sprites from the original Doom games, where, no matter which way you looked at them, they always looked "towards" you. Considering how old those games are, and how advanced our consoles are now, i cant imagine that being too hard to implement.

I'm not disagreeing with the previous comments; just trying to add some weight to my argument. I have No experience with coding, thus no real idea how easy or hard it is.

Personally, I didn't like the original sprites, so even if they announced this, i still wouldn't be buying the vc games. Just thought it'd be a cool Easter Egg.

I'm imagining it like the sprites from the original Doom games, where, no matter which way you looked at them, they always looked "towards" you.
The technical term for this is "billboarding", and it was used rather extensively in the early 3D era (other examples: Super Mario Kart on the SNES, collectibles in Super Mario 64).

But where Pokemon is concerned it would definitely be distracting from the modern 3D rendering of Pokemon.

The sprites would only work if there was like another mimic pokemon and used them to hide behind or transforms into them. Like another artificial or digital pokemon that has bad early 3D effects is its gimmic. The pokedex entry could be something like "nobody has ever seen this pokemon's back. It seems to always be facing it's trainer even in battle."

But yeah. Ain't gonna happen otherwise. Pokemon has been, for the most part, realistic. It would be like if you came across pointy two inch thick gameboy green colored cat on the street. It's like the start of a creepypasta or something. Goodness knows pokemon has a surplus of them.

Monochrome coloured models of Pokemon to make them stand out would be cool, but not sprites. It'd just be jarring.

More unique looking pokemon sounds awesome to me. :D I've always loved shiny pokemon (though a lot of them need to have their colors tweaked to be not off-fuchsia and puke-green-yellow), as long as they're not hyper impossible to find that'd be cool. Though like others have said, not sprite form. That just would not fit in the world of pokemon.

I agree that 2D sprites wouldn't work, but monochrome pokemon would be incredible.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom