• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theorymonning: What if this Pokemon had...?

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
There are many of us in the battling community that really like imagining what some Pokemon could do with certain moves, Abilities, and whatever else, AKA theorymonning. There's a branch of this practice that covers moves, Abilities, etc. that Pokemon don't have, but could really use if they did. I'd like to bring that branch to the BS&T.

In this "what if" machine thread, we can discuss how Pokemon could use certain benefits that they don't actually have (but could reasonably have) and talk about how it could impact the metagame, be the benefit small but helpful (e.g.: Earthquake on Zekrom or Water Absorb on Blastoise), flat-out game-breaking (e.g.: Shell Smash on Salamence or Huge Power on Slaking), or anywhere in between. Wish this Pokemon had that move/Ability/whatever? Tell us all about it here!

Of course, I have to regulate discussion a little. Let's keep things reasonable to a degree, meaning no outright unreasonable or evidently trolly buffs to things like stats (luvdisc with 999 sp atk lololololol), or straying from serious "how could this affect the metagame" discussion. Failure to comply will result in a Wrong/Banned Topic warning/infraction. Game-breaking move/ability placement is acceptable.

The only time I theorymon is when I'm in the process of team building. I tend to situations in my head. For example, if Pokemon A dies, how will Pokemon C deal with Counter A and B if Pokemon A was the counter to the Counter

My favorite type has pretty much always been Rock, so I'd love to have a priority Rock attack. If it's physical, that would probably boost the usage of a lot of UU Rock types. For example, just think of how good Rampardos could be with a Rock-type Quick Attack or Sucker Punch from its massive Attack stat.

Flareon, Flare Blitz, need I say more?

Stoutland needs Earthquake. It looks strong enough to pull it off, and it would of course give it something to hit Steels with other than Fire Fang. And there's precedent, Torkoal couldn't learn Earthquake in 3rd gen but it can now.

Emboar badly needs better STAB Fighting moves. Even if only Focus Punch and/or Mach Punch were added to its movepool, it would be much better than it is now.

I guess I'll start it off. I believe that if Golurk gained Stealth Rock (which doesn't seem that Farfetch'd), it would be OU. It would be the first Spin Blocker with SR, and been very similar to Lead Metagross in Gen 4, being a very anti-lead-metagame pokemon. It could run Special Defense EV's (Just enough to ensure survival) and Shadow Punch for Starmie, and Defense EV's and Hammer Arm for Tyranitar. A type-resist Berry would be needed for either dependent on what it wouldn't survive. It also supports an immunity to Fake Out, so it'd become a fairly popular lead.

What if Persian had better stats?

Then I would use it in every team.

I was talking to Angad a few months ago and he said that Flareon would benefit better from Sacred Fire

I think Weaville should of had earthquake.

Every other poke and their mothers have it :/

Well, Weavile's kinda small, light, and cat-like (though it is more weasel-like). Other Pokes of that stripe, like Persian, can't have EQ, so I don't see where you're going there. Besides, with its Fighting moves, it has no need for Earthquake.

It would like to abuse Technician, though. It certainly has enough moves (Bite, Ice Shard, Low Sweep, etc.) to use it with, and it'd help with its "base power syndrome", as Tech Bite would become stronger than Night Slash (90 > 70), and Low Sweep would be better than the weaker Brick Break and the less reliable Low Kick. Plus, Ice Shard would hit so much harder!

This would be one of its better sets:

461.gif

Tech Band
Jolly / Choice Band / Technician
- Bite (Total power: 135)
- Pursuit (Total Power: 90 on non-switchers, 120 on switchers)
- Ice Shard (Total Power: 90)
- Low Sweep (Total Power: 90)
252 Attack / 6 Defense / 252 Speed

How much would the meta change if U-Turn was say 60 Power, vs. its current 70

How much would the meta change if U-Turn was say 60 Power, vs. its current 70

Not much. Seeing as most people use U-Turn as a scouting move on pretty much any pokemon it's on, it's not being relied on for damage. It barely does any damage as it is now unless you get a favorable match up, or it's STABed(there are exceptions). A drop in power would most likely not even be noticed.

Not much. Seeing as most people use U-Turn as a scouting move on pretty much any pokemon it's on, it's not being relied on for damage. It barely does any damage as it is now unless you get a favorable match up, or it's STABed(there are exceptions). A drop in power would most likely not even be noticed.

I mean more for Technician usage

Scizor and Ambipom would appreciate it most, but that's the only truly noticeable change.

Why doesn't whiscash get simple(ability)?
It has dragon dance and with simple,it could atleast come out of nu.
And its not that impossible, because only dumb looking pokes get simple,and imo whiscash looks dumb.
With simple, it can get to +2 atk/speed with one dd.That would really help it.

Why doesn't whiscash get simple(ability)?
It has dragon dance and with simple,it could atleast come out of nu.
And its not that impossible, because only dumb looking pokes get simple,and imo whiscash looks dumb.
With simple, it can get to +2 atk/speed with one dd.That would really help it.

Yeah, even with Whiscash's low Speed, Simple Dance is a pretty tempting concept, especially since it has a great typing in both offense and defense and quite a bit of bulk, easily allowing it to get to +4 in Attack and Speed in most cases.

I like the idea of Tech Weavile and Simple Whiscash, I really do. Tech Weavile needs to happen!

Anyway, how about Flygon with Tinted Lens, Quiver Dance + Dragon Dance? All three make perfect sense.

I'm not understanding Quiver Dance on Flygon, but otherwise it does seem logical. If Levitate Pokemon has Dream World abilities, I'm certain that it would have Tinted Lens, which would give it a Niche over Salamence, and with Dragon Dance, it could have had a niche over Garchomp.

But flygon already has perfect coverage in three moves(dragon/ground/fire).
I would say that ferrothorn should get rapid spin.It looks like a poke who can spin and he can easily come in against bulky waters and spin the hazards away.
And he can also beat jellicent and gengar if he uses power whip on the switch.

Starmie should get Regenerator.Then a trick set would be especially deadly, as long as one can keep pursuit users at bay.

The Levitate ability, along with Angad's suggestion of Stealth Rock, would allow Golurk to check the most powerful rapid spinner, Excadrill, and set up Stealth Rock on its own. With those changes, I could definitely see Golurk being one of the most viable spinblockers in OU.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom