• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theorymonning: What if this Pokemon had...?

I do agree with Ferrothorn getting Rapid Spin, C'mon, Ferroseed's sprite is clearly spinning in its animation!

I'm wondering what would've happened if Explosion hadn't been nerfed.

Ferrothorn getting Rapid Spin would probably lower Starmie and Forretress usage.

Well, Ferrothorn can hit the some predominately OU ghosts rather hard with Gyro Ball for Gengar, and Power Whip for Jellicent, although with Rapid Spin, it would likely have to sacrifice one of the moves for it.

I would say it would also increase the usage of Fire attacks, but lets be honest I don't think they can increase any more xD

Regigigas would be interesting with Rest and/or Protect. I was having this discussion with Blitzle, but I really don't think he would be overpowered in today's game. The most 'centralizing' he would do would be ensure that most people run powerful Fighting types or appropriate phazers. I would have to do a calc, but I would think something like Mienshao HJK would be sufficient to take him out. Protect would let him get past slow start sometimes, but that makes him setup bait if he does it too predictably. There is also Skarmory to phaze in OU (Fire Punch won't do that much until he gets his full Attack stat).

Tinted Lens Flygon would actually be pretty fearsome (I won't even think about Dragon Dance + Tinted Lens, that would be unstoppable outside of Ice priority/Scarfed Ice moves). Beyond revenge killing it, it's pretty hard to tank unresisted CB Outrage or CSpecs Draco Meteor. Outrage has a decent chance to 2HKO physically defensive Skarm after SR (45.8%-53.9%). Draco Meteor would do 57.4-67.6% to standard Ferrothorn. Not a 2HKO without significant hazard damage, but can definitely wear it down. Of course, on the specs set you could try to use your Fire move to kill him anyway, or forego the Specs. Life Orb Modest Flygon would do 49.4-58.2% with Draco Meteor. You could easily 2HKO with the following Fire Blast.

Regigigas would be interesting with Rest and/or Protect. I was having this discussion with Blitzle, but I really don't think he would be overpowered in today's game. The most 'centralizing' he would do would be ensure that most people run powerful Fighting types or appropriate phazers. I would have to do a calc, but I would think something like Mienshao HJK would be sufficient to take him out. Protect would let him get past slow start sometimes, but that makes him setup bait if he does it too predictably. There is also Skarmory to phaze in OU (Fire Punch won't do that much until he gets his full Attack stat).
I'd like to imagine that there would be teams that would based off Regigigas in that situation, but I don't think Sub+Protect would help him all too much considering the threats that you mentioned. Magnezone and Stallbreaker Mew would be two very good friends to it, but Conkeldurr would be a burden to the team, though.

Still, it's a shame that Regigigas had to be denied Rest and Protect. Slow Start is more than enough to keep this golem king from being broken; Game Freak tried way too hard to keep it down.

By the way, I was thinking a little more about Huge Power Slaking. That thing is hilarious. Nothing can avoid a 2HKO from Choice Band Return except Rock/Steel types and Steelix with Defense investment (Standard Steelix with 252 HP / 252 SpD will be 2HKO'd).

Huge Power Slaking would make the ultimate Choice Scarf revenge-killer and the ultimate Choice Band wall-smasher. No doubt it'd be Uber. XD

Yeah, you may be able to get your Aggron or something in there on Return once, but if it uses any other move you are in big trouble. You can't OHKO it with priority either, it's a scary thought.

I would say that ferrothorn should get rapid spin.It looks like a poke who can spin and he can easily come in against bulky waters and spin the hazards away.
And he can also beat jellicent and gengar if he uses power whip on the switch.

Seeing Ferrothorn in Pokedex 3D, I have to say that Rapid Spin would be very unorthodox with it's anatomy.

I think that Pure Power Slaking in OU would certainly be be analogous to Reckless Staraptor in UU. It wouldn't last very long before being banned.

Rapid Spin on Ferrothorn would be nice, but I think that it would make the Pokemon suffer from moveslot syndrome. Ferrothorn more or less needs both Power Whip and Gyro Ball to check various threats.

@Angad
Ferroseed is clearly spinning in b/w sprites.

I think that Pure Power Slaking in OU would certainly be be analogous to Reckless Staraptor in UU. It wouldn't last very long before being banned.

Rapid Spin on Ferrothorn would be nice, but I think that it would make the Pokemon suffer from moveslot syndrome. Ferrothorn more or less needs both Power Whip and Gyro Ball to check various threats.

Lets not forget that forretress also has rapid spin and almost the same kind of attacks.And foretress functioned fairly well in Gen4.
A set of:
Rapid spin
Spikes
Power whip
Leech seed /gyro ball
can work.

And gengar takes a crap load from power whip due to its stupid defenses anyway.

@Angad
Ferroseed is clearly spinning in b/w sprites.

Lets not forget that forretress also has rapid spin and almost the same kind of attacks.And foretress functioned fairly well in Gen4.
A set of:
Rapid spin
Spikes
Power whip
Leech seed /gyro ball
can work.

And gengar takes a crap load from power whip due to its stupid defenses anyway.

4 HP Gengar takes 35.2% - 41.4% from Power Whip, Hidden Power Fire always KO's Physically Defensive Ferrothorn, and almost 1HKO's Specially Defensive Ferrothorn, It just needs some prior damage.

4 HP Gengar takes 35.2% - 41.4% from Power Whip, Hidden Power Fire always KO's Physically Defensive Ferrothorn, and almost 1HKO's Specially Defensive Ferrothorn, It just needs some prior damage.

gengars always carry focus blast and not hp fire.ttar just laughs at hp fire.

If Ferrothorn was a spinner, and a team relies on Gengar to spinblock, Hidden Power Fire might a bit more valuable. I think Magnezone would increase in usage, but then Shed Shell would too. I'm not accounting for rain, though.

Klinklang has nice defenses and one of the best sweeping moves in the game, it could probably be half-decent if its movepool wasn't as bad as it is.

Klinklang definitely needs a better Ability. The only remotely useful one it has is Clear Body, and that's its unreleased DW Ability! Since the entire Klink family floats in the air, Klinklang would definitely appreciate Levitate.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom