• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theorymonning: What if this Pokemon had...?

What if Braviery were to become a Flying/Fighting type with Stone Edge and EQ in its arsenal?

Personally, Stone Edge wouldn't mean jack shit since its not boosted by Sheer Force (97.5 damage for Rock Slide plus Sheer Force is only a little weaker than 100 damage Stone Edge and more accurate). Earthquake with Braviary's high attack might pose a greater threat to electrics than it currently does now.

And of course, its weakness to rock would be gone.

On a side note, would removing Archeop's defeatist ability and replacing it with defiant shatter the metagame?

Last edited:
On a side note, would removing Archeop's defeatist ability and replacing it with defiant shatter the metagame?

Well, I'm sure Azumarill and Scizor would go up in usage.

What if Hydreigon had 100 Base Speed or even 101 Base Speed?

Well, I'm sure Azumarill and Scizor would go up in usage.

What if Hydreigon had 100 Base Speed or even 101 Base Speed?

Wouldn't have to rely on Scarf. But, it does come in and out a fair bit so I wouldn't say a drastic change

What Pokemon could have beneffited from Harvest? Snorlax would surely but I could see it being sent straight to Uber then.

What Pokemon could have beneffited from Harvest? Snorlax would surely but I could see it being sent straight to Uber then.

Garchomp + Yache Berry. Volcarona + Charti Berry. Anything with Outrage + Persim Berry. Those are the ones I could name off the top of my head.

Harvest only activates sometimes outside of the sun. Inside the sun, it can use it every turn.

What if Fog could be started by a move or ability? Would it be used to combat weather teams, and be a means of maintaining both synergy and weather control, or would other weathers still be chosen over it? Would the accuracy drop brought on by fog be broken and detrimental to the metagame?

What if Fog could be started by a move or ability? Would it be used to combat weather teams, and be a means of maintaining both synergy and weather control, or would other weathers still be chosen over it? Would the accuracy drop brought on by fog be broken and detrimental to the metagame?
D8
It would be detrimental, annoying and would help those annoying stallers.I dont think i want to see that..

I really don't understand why Ferroseed or Ferrothorn can't learn Rapid Spin. It would benefit them greatly, and it makes sense based on their appearance, too.

I also really wish that Scraggy and Scrafty had Sucker Punch: that move would make them even more-viable options. I'm assuming the Move Tutors will return in the next Gen 5 game, and both of these moves will be available to them.

I really don't understand why Ferroseed or Ferrothorn can't learn Rapid Spin. It would benefit them greatly, and it makes sense based on their appearance, too.

I also really wish that Scraggy and Scrafty had Sucker Punch: that move would make them even more-viable options. I'm assuming the Move Tutors will return in the next Gen 5 game, and both of these moves will be available to them.

Yep, i said that rapid spin thing a few days back and that would be the reason for foretress's downfall.(as if it hasn't fallen already.)

I 'm not sure whether sucker punch would really help scrafty.Crunch is reliable and if you use dd set, you'll be outspeeding quite a lot of things anyway.Whats more a smart player can easily outpredict those sucker punches and outstall the pp.And finally, the best scrafty counters are fighting types, who take a pitiful amt. of damage from sucker punch.Even drain punch fails to do a lot to things like conkeldurr.

Swift Swim Gyardos with the addition of hurricane. Hurricane, Surf, Thunder, Rain Dance. Oh yeah.
Anything that could have Simple, Shell Smash, Guard Swap and Baton Pass backed up with decent stats would also be incredible. Imagine handing that off to a No-Guard Pokemon.

I don't think that Swift Swim would help Gyarados very much. Intimidate gives Gyarados the ability to force out some physical attackers that could otherwise threaten it.

I'd also like to point out that Gyarados is pretty much unviable as a special attacker in rain because it is severely outclassed by a large number of other Pokemon.

I don't think that Swift Swim would help Gyarados very much. Intimidate gives Gyarados the ability to force out some physical attackers that could otherwise threaten it.

I'd also like to point out that Gyarados is pretty much unviable as a special attacker in rain because it is severely outclassed by a large number of other Pokemon.

That's very true. I just want something that will strike first and always hit with powerful status spreading moves.

[...]
I think Swift Swim Gyarados would be good--Gyarados certainly wouldn't mind having two choices for a non-hidden ability, and its usability would further go up, as well as its potential set factor (making Gyarados, ultimately, harder to predict).

There are two bad adjectives that can describe Intimidate: 1) useless (at times--as it can be useless at times), and 2) idle (once the trigger-off effect is gone). Swift Swim would differentiate itself at times, and, if used with intent, would tend to not be useless. (Not that Intimidate is useless--far, far from it: it can just end up that way.)(And not that Swift Swim can't be useless or idle either.)

What if held items had never been implemented? What kinds of Pokemon would dominate an environment like that?
Likewise, which Pokemon would be completely non-viable without them?

Assuming Swift Swim + Drizzle is still banned, I highly doubt that Swift Swim would increase Gyarados's usage at all.

IMO, what sets Gyarados apart from other physical water types is its good defensive typing combined with Intimidate. Gyarados's ability to set-up on forced switches made it a fairly reliable sweeper, especially in metagames such as pre-Salamence ban DPP OU. With Swift Swim in place of Intimidate, Gyarados would become little more than a Swords Dance-less Kabutops with a resistance to Mach Punch and Bullet Punch.

What if held items had never been implemented? What kinds of Pokemon would dominate an environment like that?
Likewise, which Pokemon would be completely non-viable without them?

Stall would start dominating as bulky boosters would become necessary in the absence of choice items and lo.Sandstorm would be even more devastating.I think it would be similar to Gsc(except for the leftovers part)

Stall would start dominating as bulky boosters would become necessary in the absence of choice items and lo.Sandstorm would be even more devastating.I think it would be similar to Gsc(except for the leftovers part)

I would have thought there would be an increase in usage of boosting moves in general - offensive and defensive. It seems like the aim of a battle would be to simply get to +6 whatever before your opponent does. I don't think stall would "start dominating" - I think stall would be hit as hard as offensive teams by the change, what with them losing their main items - Leftovers and Eviolites.

I would have thought there would be an increase in usage of boosting moves in general - offensive and defensive. It seems like the aim of a battle would be to simply get to +6 whatever before your opponent does. I don't think stall would "start dominating" - I think stall would be hit as hard as offensive teams by the change, what with them losing their main items - Leftovers and Eviolites.

The stall pokes would just use Roar/Haze/Whirlwind to make all those boosts go down the gutter.Whats more offensive pokes lack recovery moves while stall mons have recovery moves which means that offensive mons would be worn down quickly by entry hazards.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom