• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

The harsh reality is that Pokemon is a multimedia franchise. The game, the anime, merch, and card game all have to be released within a certain window and companies involved have projected earnings to consider. Delaying the game to 2020 would probably have a seriously negative effect on their finances so in their eyes that wasn't an option.
These other medias have gone through other years just fine without a main series game. They've had longer gaps between generations, like the 2-year gap between Emerald and DP, or between ORAS and SuMo. Why would one year without one a main series game make so much of a difference?

Which would be fine. The problem is that they’re not planning on adding them at all. The new company policy is to never have the complete Nat Dex in a single game ever again. That’s what’s pissing people off.

I can't imagine they're not at least looking for a solution cause they're in danger of permanently damaging their brand for a lot of people. I will agree that not even implying that they'll add them later was a big mistake.

really all they have to do to solve the animation issue is put in a hack check for offline play as well. that's what PBR did. if you try to put in an illegal pokemon, you get a bad egg. you can still hack in a 'legitimate' pokemon, but any pokemon with illegal movesets or wonky data is made into a bad egg. the animation work doesn't go away per se, but then you don't have to make edge case animations or have to worry about them.
I'm sorry, but what. I don't see the correlation....

Standardized move animations work like HTML fontlists, conceptually -- when an attack script needs to call a specific animation, it also specifies secondary animations that can be used as a fallback if the object doesn't have the first one(s) on the list. Definitely not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Honestly, I would have been fine if in, say, Gens IV or V, they revamped the whole system and stripped down the number of attacks to something more manageable if it meant giving each individual Pokemon animation.
That's part of what makes the animation work in Smash Bros. and Pokken so amazing. I may not like Braixen from a design standpoint, but its animations in Pokken have so much charm and personality that it's about my favorite fighter on the roster. Contrast something like Delphox where, although I like the design, the limited animations just plain suck.

(Oh, and speaking of Smash Bros., remember what they said about Kirby -- every time they add a new fighter they also have to include the corresponding Kirby hat....)

If we’re gonna have to make the best of this less than stellar situation, then I want a variety of “adventures” for my Pokémon to go on.

I want Sinnoh remakes with Megas, Let’s Go Johto with Z-moves, new Mystery Dungeon and Conquest games, a real-time battle game a la Tales of Symphonia, and possibly some other stupid mini game stuff too like the Magikarp app. And I want them all to connect to and from Home and every Pokémon able to make at least one jump over.

The harsh reality is that Pokemon is a multimedia franchise. The game, the anime, merch, and card game all have to be released within a certain window and companies involved have projected earnings to consider. Delaying the game to 2020 would probably have a seriously negative effect on their finances so in their eyes that wasn't an option. The devs likely had their hands tied because there was no way to finish all of the new animations in time. On top of that, the new animations were probably a demand from upper management as well.

It really sucks but all we can do now is hope that they'll be added at a future date.

Not all the pokemon have to be in upon release. They should be patched in, batch by batch at the very least. Not shut out completely.

These other medias have gone through other years just fine without a main series game. They've had longer gaps between generations, like the 2-year gap between Emerald and DP, or between ORAS and SuMo. Why would one year without one a main series game make so much of a difference?
What Gligarman means is that the all the cards for the TCG, the episodes for the next anime series, manga I'm betting too, and all that other fun stuff, would have all been made in advance. They're set to release when the games do.

What Gligarman means is that the all the cards for the TCG, the episodes for the next anime series, manga I'm betting too, and all that other fun stuff, would have all been made in advance. They're set to release when the games do.
Oh, I think I was interpreting "delay to 2020" as being the decision at the start of development, not a delay during.

I don't really see why we need both Scratch and Tackle, or Leer and Tail Whip.
To be fair though, not every Pokemon has claws.

Though I guess they could have just streamlined it by calling a basic physical attack "Strike" or "Blow" and that could apply to any Pokemon. One thing though I liked about the variety of moves was that they reflected the Pokemon's individual characteristics. But I guess that goes back to the argument of how GF used moves to get around the lack of Pokemon animations.

But you know, this could just be me. I personally never thought moves to be the issue. But I can concede that there are too much.

Most definitely. No matter how big your company is, a delay like that can be a disaster. Look what happened to Enix when they had to delay Dragon Quest VII in Japan by a year. They had the biggest JRPG series in Japan and that delay messed up their finances to the point that they pretty much had no choice but to merge with Squaresoft.

They're reusing the same models from XY tho. They already have the assets. It's just a matter of porting them over.
Sadly, even if I worked for Game Freak, I wouldn’t be allowed to explain the details of the whole “Galar dex” issue with you guys.

Things were easier in the past because all of the Pokémon were 2D sprites.
2D sprites were always changed in pose and style every time, though.

With models, we can compare them and see that, like Envoy said, they've been using the same ones they did in XY, with just slight changes.

While it might be harder to make a 3D model than to make a sprite, it's definitely harder to make a new sprite every generation than it is to use the same model as a past game.

Also, animating 2D sprites would be harder than animating 3D models, because the frames of the sprites have to be drawn separately, while you only need one model to animate.

I terms of re-balancing or reworking the system, I kind of wish they'd take a page from Pokemon Go and allow any move that's 50 damage or under be assigned as a Pokemon's fifth "auto-attack" move with infinite PP. I like that idea a hell of a lot better than Struggle. It would give all the weak moves reason to exist outside of the early game.

Also, I'd have to learn Japanese to work at Game Freak...and I only know English.

And I'd have to be a computer expert, which I'm not.

Also, animating 2D sprites would be harder than animating 3D models, because the frames of the sprites have to be drawn separately, while you only need one model to animate.

The sprites of Gen V were animated by splitting it into little parts, and then animating all the parts separately.
Using Pikachu as an example, the tail, ears, face and arms are all separate files which the game stitches together and moves about to give the impression of animation.
I'm not sure if that's more efficient than drawing it frame-by-frame, but there you go.

Also, you do only need one model to animate, but you still have to put it into the right poses each frame which can take a lot of time. I'm not entirely sure how 3D animation works though, don't take my advice on it.

The sprites of Gen V were animated by splitting it into little parts, and then animating all the parts separately.
Using Pikachu as an example, the tail, ears, face and arms are all separate files which the game stitches together and moves about to give the impression of animation.
I'm not sure if that's more efficient than drawing it frame-by-frame, but there you go.
Oh, so it's like Paper Mario. Except Paper Mario did it with flat models, but the execution was the same.

This whole situation reminds me of when Final Fantasy XIII was released without towns, large areas to explore, nor non-linear dungeons. Their reasoning was basically that given the visuals it would have been too much work. It's not unreasonable for fans to react negatively to being told a feature they loved was removed for the sake of graphics.

Last edited:
Splicing parts still takes work since, really, the original base sprite itself still has to be drawn.

Whereas with the models, you just input code to move them. You don't have to change anything else about it unless it is to fix polygons or update textures.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom