• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

That official statement in a nutshell:

Image result for sorry not sorry gif

I knew it, they're just gonna go ahead and do what they want while giving us lip service with this official statement. At least Gamefreak's PR team finally talked about the backlash even if it's in such a lethargic, predictable way. I bet it took them 2 whole minutes to type that up.

I appreciate that he took the time to respond, but this...literally said nothing new.
It did at least confirm something: the backlash won't make them change their stance.

Not even a hint of a possible future patch. Not even a "we'll think about it" PR statement.

I actually appreciate Masuda's straightforwardness this time.

Last edited:
I had a feeling it wouldn't. This isn't anything like adding the battle frontier, or thinking of keeping customization. This is a big decision they know full well can effect the fans in many ways. The fact they had to make the decision only show they have their own reasons for making it. Now don't take this a defense of GF, like everyone else I'm also disappointed, but I acknowledge they have their reasons.

I didn't expect a change either, because of the kinds and many explanations they gave for making the decision regardless how people feel about those explanations.

Let's be honest: Dexit is Nintendo's fault. They literally forced Game Freak to develop for a home console, since there is no dedicated handheld now.
Game Freak never wanted to make Home Console games; if they did, they would've done it long ago, on GameCube, Wii or Wii U. They always chose handhelds when given the opportunity to choose.
this isn't really Nintendo's fault. even as they've been developing SwSh, they've described it as more of a "handheld" game. like, quite literally: they said LGPE was meant to be the game that utilized the docked mode whereas SwSh was meant to be more handheld.

furthermore, they've been dreading this inevitability since even before the switch to the Switch. they talked about it during press stuff for the 3DS era where they mentioned they were becoming concerned with the ever-burgeoning number of Pokemon and instead felt that it would be more practical to make new twists on old friends.

Guys, let’s calm down. I knew this would happen. We are almost at 1000 Pokémon. Here is a question: Would YOU want to animate 1000+ Pokémon with the number growing larger with each new set of games? I wouldn’t. I would be ok with doing like 300. Sure, I agree that the switch would be able to support all the Pokémon.

Guys, let’s calm down. I knew this would happen. We are almost at 1000 Pokémon. Here is a question: Would YOU want to animate 1000+ Pokémon with the number growing larger with each new set of games? I wouldn’t. I would be ok with doing like 300. Sure, I agree that the switch would be able to support all the Pokémon.
I'm not even sure anyone here is riled up. Disappointed maybe. I'm not sure we need to calm down so much as cheer up. If being optimistic at least there are new pokemon and some old ones that I personally like. It's just hard because there is a lot of uncertainty and a lot of difficult changes happening right now: more expensive games, more things to pay for (online membership, bank, home, switch for some who don't already have one), and objectively less content than before (less pokemon now, less post game for a whole now). That's tough for people who have stuck with the series

Also to your point, no I wouldn't want to animate 1000+ pokemon models. But I'm also not a game developer (modeler). But I also don't work at a game company with one of the most successful game IPs ever and connections to a larger company with more resources and partial ownership of said IP.

Regardless, I know what you mean. That's a lot for anyone and for a lot of game companies. Gamefreak could do more but none of us really know at what cost. Also I would prefer closer to at least 400-500, but at this point I think we get what we get.

Honestly I'm just more upset that this is going to make the fighting and insulting worse. It did nothing to actually calm anyone down and while I respect the attempt to at least acknowledge the mess, the community didn't need anything else to fuel the fire.

That's pretty much how I felt about the response. I respect that they did want to address the backlash and I don't think that they're trying to dismiss fans' anger. It's typical nice sounding PR response, but it doesn't come off as belittling, at least as far as I can tell. It's just going to add fuel to the fire and make fans more upset. It doesn't really do anything to calm the situation besides reassuring that Pokemon not appearing in Sword/Shield doesn't mean that they won't appear in future games.

A part of me was hoping that they'd announce some DLC to include the missing Pokemon at a later date just so the backlash could hopefully calm down and the whole National Dex issue wouldn't overshadow everything else about Sword/Shield, but I'm also not too surprised that didn't happen. That would greatly reduce the backlash, but they did say that they were currently undecided on the matter and they could still be figuring out how to handle the Pokedex issue for Sword/Shield, as well as for future games. My main disappointment with this announcement comes from how it's just going to get people more upset. I definitely understand why fans are upset though. I was hoping that some of the backlash had cooled down, but that might have been too optimistic of me. I still try to avoid most threads about Sword/Shield just because leaks are everywhere and people will rarely put them in spoiler tags.

Wasn't the problem unique to Lillie, though, not with the other models? If it was just a matter of how the game referenced things, then we should have seen the same thing with all the other models in the game-a model of Hau every time he appeared, a model of Pyumuku every time it appeared, etc.

And if it doesn't just apply to Lillie, and there really is a new model made for every NPC appearance, I'd say it's definitely a case of "it's broke, fix it". That'd be way too much space taken up by duplicates.
That was a very good response and I agree, though since neither of us are actually involved in datamining, the evidence we know of, and in turn, the conclusions we can draw are very limited.

And keep in mind ALL software development in general has a pragmatic definition of "broken": How do you know when something's broken if there are smply no clues to spot any problems by? Just because something is easy to spot in the final compiled package doesn't mean it would have (necessarily) been spotted in development, especially if it was a byproduct of their compiler toolchain. Who actually has the time to sit down and rifle through compiled code or assets looking for optimizations?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom