• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

If I made things worse with my comment, I apologize. I just do not see the problem I guess. Sure I never transferred Pokémon forward like a lot of people. Again, I fail to see the issue. I think that it’s good that they gave most Pokémon the boot. Less models to work with means better graphics and animations. Sure I too will be bummed if a favorite of mine is cut.

Less models to work with means better graphics and animations.
Marginally, and it's a false trade-off because they have worked with other companies before.

I think that it’s good that they gave most Pokémon the boot.
Sure I too will be bummed if a favorite of mine is cut.
Which is it? There's at least a 50% chance that Greninja isn't in these games.

Oh great the pessemists....

Or do they call themselves 'realists'?

...I almost wish he Pitchforded the response, as I'd almost rather deal with fury than Pesserealistists.

If I made things worse with my comment, I apologize. I just do not see the problem I guess. Sure I never transferred Pokémon forward like a lot of people. Again, I fail to see the issue. I think that it’s good that they gave most Pokémon the boot. Less models to work with means better graphics and animations. Sure I too will be bummed if a favorite of mine is cut.
For me, it's not really about the graphics or the "my favorite" thing. For me, it's because I keep my old teams together as families when I transfer them around. So when I get the chance to transfer, and I get to, say, one of my Hoenn teams, it'll be hard to justify transferring my Pelipper when all of its teammates won't be able to go with it.

Like, I fully get the necessity for restricting it, but that honestly clashes with the whole ideas they've built up over the years about always having your old favorites with you.

Guys, let’s calm down. I knew this would happen. We are almost at 1000 Pokémon. Here is a question: Would YOU want to animate 1000+ Pokémon with the number growing larger with each new set of games? I wouldn’t. I would be ok with doing like 300. Sure, I agree that the switch would be able to support all the Pokémon.
Yes, I would be ok too. But what did we get in exchange? When x and y were released they had to create 3d models for all the pokemon + 3d models for all the environment + moves animations + all mega evolutions and we got all the 700 pokemon in the games on a console that has 1/10 the power of the switch.
They spent the same time developping sw/sh and yet the models are the same, dynamax didn't take that long considering It's just a bigger model of the pokemon, the moves animations barely changed and they litterally deleted any animation of normal damaging moves during dynamax, the graphics are the least we could expect for a Switch game, the camera is locked for most of the game. Let's say we will have the same amount of gygantamax forms that we had for megas. Exactly what took so long to justify the cut?
There's a simple answer to this question: the (already) small team they had in 2013 has been split in three (four?) parts and they simply cannot manage to work on so many games with a yearly schedule.
I can forgive the lack of 400 pokemon, I simply don't understand why I have to. They truly didn't show any good reason yet. I just see excuses that make things worse.

Yes, I would be ok too. But what did we get in exchange? When x and y were released they had to create 3d models for all the pokemon + 3d models for all the environment + moves animations + all mega evolutions and we got all the 700 pokemon in the games on a console that has 1/10 the power of the switch.
They spent the same time developping sw/sh and yet the models are the same, dynamax didn't take that long considering It's just a bigger model of the pokemon, the moves animations barely changed and they litterally deleted any animation of normal damaging moves during dynamax, the graphics are the least we could expect for a Switch game, the camera is locked for most of the game. Let's say we will have the same amount of gygantamax forms that we had for megas. Exactly what took so long to justify the cut?
There's a simple answer to this question: the (already) small team they had in 2013 has been split in three (four?) parts and they simply cannot manage to work on so many games with a yearly schedule.
I can forgive the lack of 400 pokemon, I simply don't understand why I have to. They truly didn't show any good reason yet. I just see excuses that make things worse.
I did read about the message they made about this, the second message. They did say the decision was DIFFICULT. They understood that the ever growing number of Pokémon is a problem. At some point, it had to happen. Sure, the switch could handle all the old and new mons, but as the number grows, the space in the cartridge shrinks.

Let's be honest: Dexit is Nintendo's fault. They literally forced Game Freak to develop for a home console, since there is no dedicated handheld now.
Game Freak never wanted to make Home Console games; if they did, they would've done it long ago, on GameCube, Wii or Wii U. They always chose handhelds when given the opportunity to choose.
No, Game Freak has stated before that even including all Pokemon in Sun/Moon had proved to be a challenge for them. SwSh being home console games has nothing to do with that.

I did read about the message they made about this, the second message. They did say the decision was DIFFICULT. They understood that the ever growing number of Pokémon is a problem. At some point, it had to happen. Sure, the switch could handle all the old and new mons, but as the number grows, the space in the cartridge shrinks.
Totally fake. This is not a space problem. And even if it was patches exist. Let's just not pretend this could be an excuse.

Totally fake. This is not a space problem. And even if it was patches exist. Let's just not pretend this could be an excuse.
I fail to see your point. I was talking about later generations of Pokémon, not just gen 8.

Sorry about the double post. This post came after my post above this one.

I just want to say that this has truly been the wildest month for the Pokemon community and I am blessed to have been a part of it. How amazing it was that tempers cooled with the Pokemon Masters trailer, only to flare right up a day later with this. I'm not even mad. I'm living the time of my life right now.

I fail to see your point. I was talking about later generations of Pokémon, not just gen 8.
The switch can run BOTW with a massive map and thousands of monsters.
There's no place in the pokemon world where you can encounter more than 20 pokemon at the same time. The space problem is irrelevant. All the pokemon + animations will be compressed in the end, which means no more than 2gb. The switch is the most powerful nintendo console in history. If space was the problem they would have said they had no space and not that they needed time for the (not) good animations.

That was a very good response and I agree, though since neither of us are actually involved in datamining, the evidence we know of, and in turn, the conclusions we can draw are very limited.
While that's true, we can still draw conclusions based on what the people who did datamine have revealed.

I recently found the screencap about Lillie, and they did say that it was done for every character, so we at least have an answer on that one.
And keep in mind ALL software development in general has a pragmatic definition of "broken": How do you know when something's broken if there are smply no clues to spot any problems by? Just because something is easy to spot in the final compiled package doesn't mean it would have (necessarily) been spotted in development, especially if it was a byproduct of their compiler toolchain. Who actually has the time to sit down and rifle through compiled code or assets looking for optimizations?
I don't really see why "not noticed" would be the same as "not a problem"? Just because something's not noticed at first doesn't mean it's not something that could be fixed. And realizing that they're referring to multiple models is as simple as just looking at what assets they're referring to. They don't need to set aside any time to find that out.

Here is a question: Would YOU want to animate 1000+ Pokémon with the number growing larger with each new set of games?
If it was my job that I got paid for, on one of the best-selling games? Why not? It's not like it's one person animating all of them, either-it's a whole team, and they're using existing models.

With cartridges up to 32GB, I don't think we'll get any problems with space until the Switch is already outdated.

I guess the other reason why I fail to see the problem is that I am more interested in the story than the graphics (granted, if it was really bad, I would not play it).
Pokemon aren't "graphics" - they're the main content of these games that goes beyond the story. Graphics are just an excuse to remove a chunk of them.

If what you meant is that you don't play the games beyond the story, then okay. Even then, wouldn't you want to replay SwSh or a future game with the ability to use any Pokemon (under a level restriction)? Otherwise, no Greninja for you for a long time, probably.

The e-mail surveys will probably be considered for future games only, but the fact that Masuda's message doesn't even imply a change for future games doesn't give me a great outlook.

The e-mail surveys will probably be considered for future games only, but the fact that Masuda's message doesn't even imply a change for future games doesn't give me a great outlook.

....Then we can only hope that Nintendo is listening and that they can 'suggest' they listen.

....Look GF vs Nintendo is probably not black and white here, but frankly I've never really liked how isolated Pokemon tends to be from the rest of Nintendo. I'd call it something to fix.

With cartridges up to 32GB
the existence of the 32GB and 64GB cartridges means nothing.

developers and companies will shoot for the 8 and 16 GB ones because they're just so much cheaper. devs will instead opt to compress and cut the game up before that. hell, even if the game managed to get that big, they'd just do a Day 1 patch.

storage is pretty much irrelevant. period. the only consideration made towards it should be that Nintendo likes to keep its games smaller for easier downloads, but even still it's not even likely that Pokemon would balloon that much.

assuming that the survey responses are what you want them to be. make no mistake yall: the backlash is not nearly as large or significant as you think it is. the only reason Nintendo would even care is if it managed to hurt their bottom line. Pokemon is so "isolated" from Nintendo simply because there's no reason for Nintendo to get hands-on about it.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom