• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site, or it's archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

• Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

jonathan keller

Reaction score
There are legit modelers on Twitter showing the models side by side, if the models were really remade, then Sw/Sh Gyarados's whiskers would've been curvier than 3DS Gyarados's whiskers, which clearly isn't the case.
Exactly. The have the bumps and curves in exactly the same places.

swiftgallade46

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
your last sentence changed nothing. i saw it. it was there. and as i had said: you'd be surprised how many tech companies (and esp gaming companies) do not follow "best practices."
Thats fair, you just could have said this in the first place without the sassy retort lol. I had edited that last sentence in, which is why I pointed it out.
And I am well aware that many companies (my own included) don’t always follow best practices. I was just commenting on it for those wouldn’t know otherwise.

Reaction score
There are legit modelers on Twitter showing the models side by side, if the models were really remade, then Sw/Sh Gyarados's whiskers would've been curvier than 3DS Gyarados's whiskers, which clearly isn't the case.
why would the whiskers have to be curvier? why would there have to be demonstrable differences for them not be the same model? it's Gyarados; i think at this point the team knows what it looks like. and as i had already said: they can simply had remade them.....the same as they had.

consider: i put on a table in front of you two cubes covered in fabric. one has been draped in red and the other blue. now, are these the same? okay, you point out the differences in color. i refine the question: are the shapes the same? yes. they're both cubes. i ask one final question: ignoring the difference in fabric color, are these identical? you answer yes. i remove the fabric. one cube is a "standard" cube (you know, the kind that just has plain squares for faces); the other is made up of a variety of shapes and polygons. now replace all of this with models and textures. you understand now? like, without seeing the actual assets in the files, you're simply guessing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i mean the "benefits" of a smaller roster are entirely subjective. so...what's your point?

Reaction score
but like, players value different things. for me a smaller roster that resulted in higher-quality animations means.....little to nothing. there are players that say "the graphics can be garbage but you know what i can have every pokemon and so that's fine." some players might be happy that a smaller roster might mean not seeing Tentacool every generation. there isn't like an equivalent trade-off here.

hell, there's even further to go with that like still not knowing the number of Pokemon available. finding out that the dex is 200 or 700 will certainly change people's opinions regarding Game Freak's decision. and the games are going to be datamined anyways, so that doesn't really matter. and then on top of that, i was not saying the models would've been made to be better since they reworked them; i was simply saying that without looking in the files themselves, there's no way you're going to be able to just eyeball that the models are the same.

Joker901

Reaction score
why would the whiskers have to be curvier? why would there have to be demonstrable differences for them not be the same model? it's Gyarados; i think at this point the team knows what it looks like. and as i had already said: they can simply had remade them.....the same as they had.

consider: i put on a table in front of you two cubes covered in fabric. one has been draped in red and the other blue. now, are these the same? okay, you point out the differences in color. i refine the question: are the shapes the same? yes. they're both cubes. i ask one final question: ignoring the difference in fabric color, are these identical? you answer yes. i remove the fabric. one cube is a "standard" cube (you know, the kind that just has plain squares for faces); the other is made up of a variety of shapes and polygons. now replace all of this with models and textures. you understand now? like, without seeing the actual assets in the files, you're simply guessing.
We have seen the models for Vaporeon from both 3ds and switch match exactly, they even share the exact same amount of polygons. It's just too difficult to believe they remade the models in the exact same way. Not even a polygon was changed. And even if this was the case (in a parallel universe where evidence does not exist), why would they choose to recreate the same exact models if they had the chance to go back and made new ones? It just makes no sense, sorry.

Silktree

Unown Seer
Reaction score
@godiego The point is that there should be a trade-off so that at least some (most) people get something out of the cut. Surely that'd be better than Game Freak (Creatures) just making their lives easier. Why should I care if the models aren't exact replicas if they seem to be just that when I play?

Poke Dragon

The boundary between opposites.
Reaction score
First off, there's no point whatsoever to remake a model the exact same way and secondly, it's next to impossible to remake it the same exact way. That model was imported from the 3DS games, it's undeniable. The whiskers still look like a bunch of thick sticks stuck together rather than one smooth curl, that's clearly Gyarados's 3DS model.

Here's a video to prove that fact:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_0b0sTkYI

Last edited:

TechSkylander1518

Reaction score
There is a good difference between strings of data and models.
Okay, but you said "program", which is clearly more relevant to putting in data.
the more there is to program,
Besides, these models shouldn't be any harder to deal with. Switch models can be ripped onto PCs and edited the same as the 3DS models. The LGPE models look identical to the 3DS ones, down to the skeleton. And there wasn't any trouble using Hau's animations on Hop's model.

and copying all that data is mainly used as a failsafe way to not make the games crash or break if someone purposely hacks them, like for example trying to import unavailable Pokémon to LGPE by bypassing the locks and stuff.
In addition to swiftgallade's point that making hacking safe wouldn't be Game Freak's priority, the game would still have an error because it wouldn't have a model to load for that Pokemon. Unless they went to the trouble of including all models in anyways-and I seriously doubt they care more about hackers being able to do so safely than they do
Also, at times it can be risky to remove chunks of data, and there have been cases of corruptions in the games because the devs removed something that kept things together. So, it’s usually better to import data that will simply be disabled than it is to remove something without knowing what it’s going to affect.
Pokemon are defined as a set of attributes-learnset, base stats, etc. The code that defines the actual effects of these attributes is stored in other sections. That's why Metronome can call a move that a Pokemon doesn't know, and why moves like Simple Beam, Soak, and Entrainment work. And even if the code had any specific reason to check what species a Pokemon was, the Pokemon itself wouldn't need to exist. If you ask a computer "Does Pikachu's species=Zeraora", every trait of Zeraora wouldn't need to be defined-it would just recognize that, no, Pikachu's species isn't Zeraora, and return false.

Also, your original point was that with more Pokemon, there's more to program, and so removing Pokemon was a good thing-now you're arguing that removing Pokemon from the code would be too much unnecessary work. That doesn't exactly make the dex removal sound any better.

SeanWheeler

Reaction score
With all those assets copied from the 3DS games into the Switch games, it really doesn't make any sense to remove half of the Pokémon. If Sword and Shield was another generation on the 3DS, maybe that would have made more sense. But their jumping from handhelds into the console competing against the Playstation 4. The Switch game could probably hold 4,000 Pokémon and five regions if they want to max out the space on the card. The Ice Climbers in Super Smash Bros. couldn't work in the 3DS, but they worked in the Gamecube, Wii, Wii U and Switch. They were only cut from the Wii U for compatibility with the 3DS version. The consoles have always been superior to the handhelds, and every generation of consoles were a step up to the previous gen. If they are worried about when there becomes too many Pokémon for a console to handle, going from the 3DS to the Switch is not the time.