• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Every time I think about this pokedex limiting all I can think about is just how hard they worked to get two regions into Gold/Silver. They really went all out for those games, and several other titles since, but I feel like since Gen 6 they don't go all out anymore, they just do what they need to do to make the games sell, without as much care and devotion to the games as they use to have.

...Casual fans don't play Star Wars?

I don't know enough about the other demographics to say, but if you seriously are arguing that, I will have to get the 'stop being a pessimrealist' bat.
You listed other games, not just Star Wars. I don't exactly want to argue this anyway.

And no, there is no lack of RPGs on the Switch. It has quite a lot of them in fact.

You listed other games, not just Star Wars. I don't exactly want to argue this anyway.

Because I have no idea what casual gamers buy on other consoles but Nintendo. I couldn't say if any of none of them count but Star Wars.

Agree. And when they introduced abilities, physical/ special split etc these felt like improvements, but recent generations the fandom refer Megas, Z moves, now Dynamax as ‘gimmicks’.

There have been plenty of good things introduced, I’m referring to the centrepiece game mechanic change.

It is still very unclear what is so much harder this time around.

I can't say I fully get it either, because I'm not an animator (although I will say that in 2016, I started a personal project to compile every single Pokédex entry along with some basic information about every Pokémon and form into a Wordpad document by going from page to page on Bulbapedia and copying the information and pasting it in, and I didn't end up finishing it until a week ago because hoooooooooly fuck it was tedious and tiring, and at the very least I assume that their job is probably a bit harder than that), but again, if it legitimately weren't as difficult as they say, I don't see why they wouldn't already be doing it and avoiding this controversy altogether. The game without this negative response hanging over it would be objectively better off than the game with it, regardless of how much it ultimately affects sales. And yet they've chosen to just bite the bullet.

Could anyone here explain to me in precise terms the process of getting these models and animations from a system like the 3DS onto a system like the Switch, and polishing them sufficiently so that they meet a standard that is considered appealing and marketable to audiences, all within a certain (probably predetermined) budget? I keep seeing people acting as though it should be an essentially trivial task, and I don't know what to make of that, because again, I have no animation experience. Equally, for that same reason, I don't know what difficulty Game Freak are citing specifically when they talk about this decision, but what I can see is that they've chosen to take what they're aware will be a hit to their reputation with some fans and potential buyers. If there weren't something to what they're saying, then... well, what's up with that?

Last edited:
Asking out of genuine interest for myself - what RPGs on Switch are there? (Especially ones that aren't ports/available on other platforms)

Just sort by genre and look for role-playing. There are quite a lot, but I don't know which ones are ports aside from obvious ones and I Am Setsuna, which is a game I recognize thanks to a LP.

They should announce another direct with substantial / exciting info soon to at least distract or lessen the blow of the unfavorable news. Other than Yamper and Impidimp, this is the last piece of info we've been having to sit with.

Reveal a widely loved returning feature like contests or something, reveal the starter middle evolutions, or some big reveal to get people excited for the games again. They just need to do something soon to counteract at least a little bit of the negativity surrounding the game for the past week and a half.

Last edited:
They should announce another direct with substantial exciting soon to at least distract or less the blow of the unfavorable news. Other than Yamper and Impidimp, this is the last piece of info we've been having to sit with.

Frankly at this point the only way they could be getting worse publicity is if Game Freak became the next Netherrealm/Treyarch/Telltale/Bioware/Riot/Epic/insert studio with severe crunch and staff abuse.

They have the benefit of being Japanese to hide behind, but the more focus the abuse gets the more likely either an employee leaks something bad like the above, or someone hacks them and plops out something to the world wide web that isn't abuse, but would make things worse.

Say strategy memos or internal communications.

Honestly Nintendo might be trying to see what they can get people to announce in a direct as announcements so they can try and keep things positive. They could not touch Pokemon or Town, but it would probably be a tylenol on this headache.

(At the very least they could send someone to tell Gamefreak employees to not say something Pitchfordy. With how even a fairly neutral comment was handled, do you want to see what happens if some employee says something negative like...

"Fans want too much."

"Fans are entitled"

"No one liked Stunfisk to begin with"

or something. (You could probably replace Stunfisk with a lot of Pokemon, I just used one that has a Walugi esc fanbase).

Just sort by genre and look for role-playing. There are quite a lot, but I don't know which ones are ports aside from obvious ones and I Am Setsuna, which is a game I recognize thanks to a LP.
I actually specifically asked someone who claimed there are many because I tend to browse the eshop or physical copies once in shops once in a while looking for a game interesting enough to pick up (as in: worth the full price, good enough that people actually would recommend it, etc.) and haven't been able to find much.

Browsing a mere quantity list of games that are RPG is one thing, but actually getting a number & the names of RPGs on the level of Pokémon or better is a whole different matter.
Then again, I'm not dependent on Switch RPG titles, I got my PS4.

Thanks for the answer and link anyway, though - I should've made clear what I specifically asked for to begin with. :)

Pardon Me for reusing a popular meme here... But here's my impression of that official statement:

Really, though, it pretty much regurgitates the information we've already been given by Game Freak. I suppose it might just say they are real rigid obout the decision because of how they repeated it all... But not much else for speculation.

76, Battlefield 5, SW Battlefront 2, Andromeda and Anthem by extension....i am sure I can find other examples to hit people like you with the 'stop being defeatist Archeopses' stick as needed.
That's not a proper comparison tbh. All those games had several factors for the decline in sales and not just backlash from fans due to one reason. Anthem was not an established franchise and was a departure from the games Bioware usually make. It had no established fanbase so ofc the negative reviews and downgrades severely affected the sales. As for the other ones, with the exception of 76, you'd notice everything is an EA product. Those have been on a steady decline thanks to its own policies. They receive constant flak. Yes, the backlash resulted in sales declining but to say that it was the only factor would not be correct. Battlefield V is maybe the only game which is comparable and we still have the EA factor there. Andromeda was just a bad game. Unless SHSW is going to be bad, which the exclusion of pokemon doesn't guarantee, I don't see that happening. F76 was literally unplayable with glitches and was also a departure from previous fallout games. Battlefront 2 already had less of a fanbase going into it thanks to Battlefront being in general not that great, but the lootbox and grinding didn't help either.

I actually specifically asked someone who claimed there are many because I tend to browse the eshop or physical copies once in shops once in a while looking for a game interesting enough to pick up (as in: worth the full price, good enough that people actually would recommend it, etc.) and haven't been able to find much.

Browsing a mere quantity list of games that are RPG is one thing, but actually getting a number & the names of RPGs on the level of Pokémon or better is a whole different matter.

Thanks for the answer and link anyway, though - I should've made clear what I specifically asked for to begin with. :)
RPGS are my favourite games. The Switch has some great ones but not as many yet as its predecessors like the 3DS but that makes sense. In 2 years we've gotten some quality ones like Octopath Traveller, Xenoblade 2, Valyria Chronicles 4, and ports of other great ones like TWEWY, DQXI, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim etc etc. But it still needs some more. Upcoming rpgs however looks amazing. We have Trials of Mana, SMT V, Oninaki, FE, Town, Yokai Watch 4, etc.

I will be perfectly honest with you: I've never owned a Playstation (not true, I had the first incarnation but I lost it) and I'm not super big on PC gaming. I've almost exclusively stuck with Nintendo platforms (call me a fanboy, I don't care). So a lot of the releases on Switch are "new" to me. And besides, I said that the Switch has a lot of RPGs in general. And as a RPG junkie who didn't get to play the majority of them, I'm on cloud nine. Nonetheless the Switch does have original RPGs, or is otherwise at least one of the supported platforms with modern multi-plat releases. If you're curious, then maybe it might be better to send me a PM about it because this is getting off topic.

To be fair, the last time they said it was in Famitsu (IIRC? Or was it Coro Coro?) and that will only reach a limited demographic. Now that it's on the site, everyone can see it.

I know it doesn't change matters, but it's a technicality.

They should announce another direct with substantial / exciting info soon to at least distract or lessen the blow of the unfavorable news. Other than Yamper and Impidimp, this is the last piece of info we've been having to sit with.

Reveal a widely loved returning feature like contests or something, reveal the starter middle evolutions, or some big reveal to get people excited for the games again. They just need to do something soon to counteract at least a little bit of the negativity surrounding the game for the past week and a half.

it's practically July now so it's about time for another news burst anyway, no?

You guys wanted an answer, and he gave you one. Up to you how you take that answer.
If an answer is repeating yourself then by sure means, accept this as an answer. For me it was a repeated telecast.

He could have at least said something about SwSh being (fully) compatible with future games. I guess they won't.
That got me thinking, if every game has a limited regional dex compatibility with little to no overlap (as should be the case since if its not Pokemon will be left out of entire generations, and that’s more outrage) then no Pokemon game is going to be compatible with other. You could not come up with a Kalos Rules scenario since there's very little overlap in the Dex.

They were never going to reverse course and all of a sudden say, “We’ve found some time, coders and budget to do the national dex over the summer.
People weren’t expecting that. They expected intention to patch in the Pokemon later, or have the next games feature the entire Pokemon collection.

Could anyone here explain to me in precise terms the process of getting these models and animations from a system like the 3DS onto a system like the Switch, and polishing them sufficiently so that they meet a standard that is considered appealing and marketable to audiences, all within a certain (probably predetermined) budget?
From what I’ve seen, the models and animations were already high quality enough for HD, and were downscaled for the 3DS. (Some say that its the thing that caused 3DS to lag, but I’m not sure on the validity). So the part of 'getting' the 3DS models on the Switch is done, mostly. Something that I think should be noted that models were done by creatures and not Gamefreak.

As for textures, that’s probably the part that needed upgrading to match the SwSh art style. Someone more educated on the matter could elaborate, but people on Reddit have analysed the textures and have deduced that just a new lighting effect has been used which doesn’t seem too complex to implement.

The animations, I think really shouldn’t be much of an issue since they're taken from the 3DS mostly and the models were already HD. The bulk of the budget would’ve gone in making the model mesh HD and that was already done. I just wish GameFreak were a bit more transparent on their reasoning.

reveal the starter middle evolutions,
If Ohimori's famitsu interview is any indication, they’re going to use this to mitigate the negativity.

but they did say that they were currently undecided on the matter and they could still be figuring out how to handle the Pokedex issue for Sword/Shield, as well as for future games.
And they just reiterated for now that they’ve got no plans to add all Pokemon to the next games.

but as the number grows, the space in the cartridge shrinks.
I fail to see your point. I was talking about later generations of Pokémon, not just gen 8.

Sorry about the double post. This post came after my post above this one.
the existence of the 32GB and 64GB cartridges means nothing.

developers and companies will shoot for the 8 and 16 GB ones because they're just so much cheaper. devs will instead opt to compress and cut the game up before that. hell, even if the game managed to get that big, they'd just do a Day 1 patch.

storage is pretty much irrelevant. period. the only consideration made towards it should be that Nintendo likes to keep its games smaller for easier downloads, but even still it's not even likely that Pokemon would balloon that much.
All of this is completely irrelevant anyway since all the Pokemon we have till now take around 2GB. We could have double the amount of current models and the game will still fit on an 8GB cartridge.

There's still one thing I've seen no answer for- if they coded in the Pokemon for SwSh, why remove that roster from the next games in favour of the new one? Why not have the SwSh Galar Dex Pokemon compatible with the Eternal Diamond and Infinite Pearl games even if they’re not in the Dex? It’s not as if every Switch game will have a new art style.

Continuing this policy beyond SwSh feels even more absurd to me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom