• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

What exactly do you want him say other than "We'll add them in later"? Cause that's more so just what you want to hear than just a response.
"We'll add them later" would be the best case scenario. I expected them to acknowledge the fan concerns, and give the actual reason why full compatibility cannot happen. And maybe say that the next games would include all the Pokémon. Why leave out the already optimised SwSh models out of the next games?
Reassuring that every Pokemon will be available in a generation was the least they could do, but even that was dismissed as "may", not a certainty.

If they say nothing the fans will claim that they don't care cause there'd be no response. But as they announced they're sticking with their decision makes fans think they don't care. Nothing they'd do would make a difference.
They literally managed to fuse both your situations and create the worst case scenario: telling us that they don’t care in an official response.
This was worse than no response at all, and just sparked the fan outrage all over again.

This is literally a no win situation. If they say nothing the fans will claim that they don't care cause there'd be no response. But as they announced they're sticking with their decision makes fans think they don't care. Nothing they'd do would make a difference.
There was. They just said the umpteenth dumb thing like they did in the last 2 years. They could have said "Ehi, we had to cut half of the pokemon to focus on content and new pokemon", they could have shown some cross-gen evolutions , some new features, whatever. What did they say instead? That they had to cut the pokemon to realize better animations and graphics. That's just lying and being aware of it. I mean, what the hell were they thinking that no one would have noticed the obvious low res textures or the recycled models and animations from a 6 years old 3ds game? Of all the things to justify the cut, they choosed graphics and animations, something we all know GF is very well known for in the industry. (sarcasm here).
The campaign of usum was something terrible, the campaign of let's go was even worse, now this. I would like to meet the marketing director of the Pokemon Company, cause that man/woman has courage to take these absurd marketing decisions for a billionaire company.

Literally no game developer ever talks about certain flaws of their games. Their job is to sell not self critique, even if other people's criticisms are made known. Again, the "We don't care" response is just giving an answer you don't want to hear. Doesn't mean they don't care, it's a simple no. No need to take it as such a harsh response.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Masuda did not write a single word of that letter. Usually it's the marketing who takes care of this kinda of stuff.
Do you really believe that his hands are tied in all this? He's a leading member of Game Freak's board of directors. He isn't Ishihara or Nintendo's lackey.

I do agree that it isn't just Game Freak's fault.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Colosseum also has like only three animations per Pokémon, and while they do look better than the 3DS games, it is not by much. I mean, they even removed Blastoise's cannons for no reason at all.

Ah, I didn't know that. Colosseum was on the N64, though, right?

Sign the Petition

Sign the Petition

Yeah yeah yeah, online petitions. However the simple fact is that it is doing something, and that is always better than doing nothing at all. Also a few things

1: This issue is also in Japan, meaning that both sides of the Pacific are complaining.

2: Youtube downvoting is also a thing

3: Can Pokemon and Nintendo afford the controversy while Pokemon's the big Holiday title?

4: Mass Effect 3, anyone remember that?

Anyway, shall we try something other than complaining on internet forums about this one?

Dunno if the Problem is in Japan. Japanese Twitter Account never put out the message, The English Account put out.

The reality is that casual players will still buy these games, along with people who aren't aware of the changes, and people who don't mind them (which is fine). I don't expect SwSh to have unusually low sales.

Nah, its all part of the technique, LGPE introduced new fans. Casuals + New Fans + Majority, the game will easily sell over 20 Million +.

the game will easily sell over 20 Million +
I really doubt that. Because:

1) the games now cost 60 bucks instead of 40, discouraging many people from buying both versions (since buying both versions surpasses the psychological barrier of 100 bucks)

2) Switch costs a lot more than a 3DS, discouraging people (like me) who only buy Nintendo consoles for Pokémon

3) Even Pokémon Go (in its early days of extreme hype) didn't boost the sales of ORAS or SM even near to such numbers.

Last edited:
Smash and Spalatoon haven't sold anywhere near to 20 million+, afaik.

So that's a poor counterargument to what I stated...

Last edited:
Smash and Spalatoon haven't sold anywhere near to 20+ million afaik. So that's not a good counterargument to what I stated.

Smash could sell 20 million, but it also has always sold for about 60 dollars. Pokemon doesn't quite have that to its name.

They could have said "Ehi, we had to cut half of the pokemon to focus on content and new pokemon", they could have shown some cross-gen evolutions , some new features, whatever. What did they say instead? That they had to cut the pokemon to realize better animations and graphics. That's just lying and being aware of it.

Whatever you think of the animation quality, I don't really see how you come to the conclusion that they were in a situation where that wasn't the issue, and yet they decided to "lie" and claim that it was instead of just... saying what the actual and, according to you, more understandable and sympathetic problem was. Saying that "they could have said x" is just wishing that they'd lied to you and given you an excuse that you'd have an easier time believing than actually being upfront about an issue that seems improbable, even though none of us can actually see inside the sausage factory here.

Last edited:
I just realized that they never announced a Switch bundle that comes with Sword/Shield. I'm a little surprised they haven't. I guess they figured that the LGPE Switch bundle would be enough for people (which clearly it isn't).

The comparison I was making that even simplistic games also cost about sixty. Smash only has it's roster and some more stage, but that's mostly it compared to the last smash. I suppose you can argue the world of light campaign counts as content but outside of long time playability it's still not as grand.

....Wait, aren't we the ones who have heard they aren't happy about it either? That seems off...
No, the Japanese fandom have been very vocal about it too. And it's kind of a bigger deal coming from them, since Japan has a drama-free culture. So when they speak up, you know you screwed up.

Whatever you think of the animation quality, I don't really see how you come to the conclusion that they were in a situation where that wasn't the issue, and yet they decided to "lie" and claim that it was instead of just... saying what the actual and, according to you, more understandable and sympathetic problem was. Saying that "they could have said x" is just wishing that they'd lied to you about something you'd have an easier time believing than actually being upfront about an issue that seems improbable, even though none of us can actually see inside the sausage factory here.
I was talking about the marketing side of the statement and yes they should have said something else. Clearly people know the models of all pokemon and most of the animations are recycled from a 6 years old 3ds game. How could they focus on the animations if most of the animations and all the models are the exact same of x and y? That's a lie, come on. They did it for gen 6 and 7 and now their problem is the animations of the moves (that didn't actually change that much btw)?

We could have double the amount of current models and the game will still fit on an 8GB cartridge.
To be fair, we don't know how much the region, story content, character models, system programming, etc, would take up.

I'm not defending Game Freak by any stretch, I'm saying these should also be considered.

Well some moves did get animation changes, and some pokemon did get new animations, albeit slight
Did that cost 400 pokemon? A movement of 0.5 seconds on a Machoke costed 400 pokemon? If they want to animate pokemon properly they can cut 800 pokemon and I would be ok (unless the remaining are all gen 1) but that's not animating pokemon. That's what they did till gen 4, barely change the aprite animation to look different from a game to another. We are in 2019, Pokemon is in 3d and you cannot add a 0.5 seconds movement to a pokemon and pretend now that pokemon is properly animated.

That letter by Masuda is the most corporate, nothing statement I've seen. Literally the only thing it accomplishes is making people mad again, right when people finally cooled down again. It's clear that the only thing Masuda should be doing is just developing the games, he's become a walking PR disaster since gen 6.

He's too busy going on vacation to even care about developing the games imo. I can't believe that Game Freak has become such a meme lately.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom