• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site, or it's archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

• Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Leaf_Ranger

Reaction score
I think the issue a lot of people have is worrying about their favourite pokemon no longer being in the game series.
Thankfully, all but alolan raichu have been confirmed as far as my own favourites go but one of my friends LOVES whimsicott which is not likely to make an appearance. It's sort of the base for her party every time.

The change also starts the question of will they ever put some of these pokemon back into the main games or will it be 'bye, you aren't popular enough'. I personally expect a swsh 2 situation that adds all the pokemon in a few years.

Also i do have to question the fact that TRUBBISH has been confirmed for the Galar dex. It is rubbish (Though probably someones favourite mon too).
I can somewhat understand people being taken by surprise with this, namely due to the crappy explanation but like I've said, after a series of bad decisions and constant makeovers, I'm not surprised and people should be prepared for this and worse, just in case, not creating high expectations.

I honestly think that it would be more acceptable and useful storywise if they were to say that there's a ban in Galar on foreign Pkmn due to invasive species in order to take advantage of Brexit and Trump's Wall!!

Leaf_Ranger

Reaction score
Nintendo should be more involved with Game Freak much like Iwata was at the time.
Yesterday I thought on how Game Freak should search for a new Iwata to solve this mess just like he saved space back in Gold/Silver and allowed the inclusion of Kanto.
GF's justification seems like the one from Ubisoft when saying that they didn't had the resources to make a female protagonist in Unity when most of the times, Ubisoft recycles animations from one protagonist to the other!

Reaction score
It is and I find myself more excited for it than I ever have been with SwSh.

I think people are focusing too much on one statement I made in my post. Especially when I actually do agree with the criticisms for this decision. My main point with my contribution is that TPCi, Nintendo, and GF have gotten too greedy and it's led to them pumping out releases without any significant developments. The last few generations have honestly been lazy and essentially rehashes of the same-old. SM was a small step in the right direction (though I honestly suspect the only reason GF did what they did with that was because Yokai Watch was growing more popular), but the execution of it was poorly done and honestly feels like a step back to me than a step forward.

Granted, Level-5 hasn't been much better with how they released three major "generations" (if the YKW games can even be called that) on one platform alone. But they did see a dip in sales with YKW 3 and from the sounds of it they did recognize that fact and are looking to improve. Which we can see with YKW 4. So I at least have to commend to Level-5 that they are willing to take feedback and actually take risks with their series.
GF unlike Level 5 does admittedly have the advantage of partners like Nintendo who are realiable and probably wouldn’t screw them over. So they should look to take advantage for those trustworthy allies for future games if they are having coding issues. If Nintendo can’t help them with trustworthy people, then that’s worrying.

Juztiz

Pronounced like "justice"
Reaction score
Yesterday I thought on how Game Freak should search for a new Iwata to solve this mess just like he saved space back in Gold/Silver and allowed the inclusion of Kanto.
GF's justification seems like the one from Ubisoft when saying that they didn't had the resources to make a female protagonist in Unity when most of the times, Ubisoft recycles animations from one protagonist to the other!
Even if they found a new Iwata, though, then the whole mess solving is only on the shoulders of one person and that just feels so highly inefficient in comparison to....well, taking care not to make a too big mess to begin with?
I mean if there's always someone to solve your mess, would you even really care about the mess you make anymore if it's of not much consequence to you?

Leaf_Ranger

Reaction score
Even if they found a new Iwata, though, then the whole mess solving is only on the shoulders of one person and that just feels so highly inefficient in comparison to....well, taking care not to make a too big mess to begin with?
I mean if there's always someone to solve your mess, would you even really care about the mess you make anymore if it's of not much consequence to you?
Indeed, but just like I've replied on another thread, they should hire more people and have a much larger and Pkmn dedicated team, instead of switching internal teams.

Juztiz

Reaction score
Indeed, but just like I've replied on another thread, they should hire more people and have a much larger and Pkmn dedicated team, instead of switching internal teams.
Well, yeah. If they want to keep their pace with when they release games, and can't manage, they need more people and probably also more skill. I mean, if you try to bake a big cake, it doesn't matter if it's just 3 people who never tried baking before or 10 people who never tried baking before, their cake will just never match the one 5 people who are real professionals would make.

I'm not saying Game Freak doesn't have professional employees but the way they cut corners just lets me personally believe that they need to expand in quantity as well as in quality... or just keep cutting content and eventually accept defeat because I think there'll be a limit on what people will accept.
These petitions, the dislikes on a YT video are just a start and reputations can spread pretty fast.

Leaf_Ranger

Reaction score
Well, yeah. If they want to keep their pace with when they release games, and can't manage, they need more people and probably also more skill. I mean, if you try to bake a big cake, it doesn't matter if it's just 3 people who never tried baking before or 10 people who never tried baking before, their cake will just never match the one 5 people who are real professionals would make.

I'm not saying Game Freak doesn't have professional employees but the way they cut corners just lets me personally believe that they need to expand in quantity as well as in quality... or just keep cutting content and eventually accept defeat because I think there'll be a limit on what people will accept.
These petitions, the dislikes on a YT video are just a start and reputations can spread pretty fast.
Another option would be to just end their patterns. Pkmn doesn't need to come out every X years and having "new game, remake, better version"! I prefer to wait and have a good experience than just receiving rushed stuff only to have latter a "final/complete" version sold again (which isn't cheap). I bought Emerald and Platinum, but after the late I was disapointed on how it was only a little upgrade so I didn't bought UMUS and I've decided that I'll wait for Sh2Sw2 and even if it doesn't come, I can deal with it.

Blockhead Pippi

Previously known as 'Isamu Akai'
Reaction score
While I absolutely agree that GF shouldn't be pumping out releases so quickly (though I also highly suspect that the blame also lies on Nintendo's and TPCi's shoulders if they're pressuring them), pacing themselves still won't lead to an improvement of their programming if they're not actually taking steps to streamline it.

At best, pacing themselves and slowing down on the releases would have only delayed the inevitable. We would have still gotten to the point where GF throws in the towel and admits "We can't keep including everything anymore." Although if they were given more breaks and room to experiment with other projects, then maybe GF would have had more opportunities to actually learn.

It's as I said, we've come full circle.

Juztiz

Reaction score
Another option would be to just end their patterns. Pkmn doesn't need to come out every X years and having "new game, remake, better version"! I prefer to wait and have a good experience than just receiving rushed stuff only to have latter a "final/complete" version sold again (which isn't cheap). I bought Emerald and Platinum, but after the late I was disapointed on how it was only a little upgrade so I didn't bought UMUS and I've decided that I'll wait for Sh2Sw2 and even if it doesn't come, I can deal with it.
Honestly, not forcing oneself to release a game every x years should be the most obvious thing, but for whatever reason (whether it's Nintendo, TPCi, or really just Game Freak we don't 100% know either way) they're not doing it, and well, it still printed money and people (including me) went along with it, not complaining much, or at least not enough.

I also would prefer to wait for a good experience. If Ruby/Sapphire, or even Diamond/Pearl were never a thing and Emerald or Platinum just happened to begin with, it would've been great. I wouldn't miss those versions, because once their improved version released, I never felt any urge to play them ever again. Diamond wasn't bad, but why play Diamond if you have Platinum? What I disliked about USUM was that overall it felt just like too much cheaper than SM in how Emerald and Platinum were a final version that basically combined their initial two games, and USUM was just... DLC content slapped onto the cartridge, to again be sold full price. (At least that's how it felt)
BW2 are a whole different matter, as they're sequels although even then there could have been one sequel to combine them, probably. But that's all in the past.

If SwSh2 or any of those variations come, I won't really be interested anymore. It needs a bit more than GF possibly caving now due to petitions and complaints to get back at their games. I'd be willing to consider it once it feels they got their stuff completely together overall, should that happen, but not before that.

While I absolutely agree that GF shouldn't be pumping out releases so quickly (though I also highly suspect that the blame also lies on Nintendo's and TPCi's shoulders if they're pressuring them), pacing themselves still won't lead to an improvement of their programming if they're not actually taking steps to streamline it.

At best, pacing themselves and slowing down on the releases would have only delayed the inevitable. We would have still gotten to the point where GF throws in the towel and admits "We can't keep including everything anymore." Although if they were given more breaks and room to experiment with other projects, then maybe GF would have had more opportunities to actually learn.

It's as I said, we've come full circle.
Very much this. Although as much as I, too, suspect it's not entirely on Game Freak, I'm not sure who's to blame to what degree with their release pace.
I've already said this in the other thread but Game Freak could have realised at gen 3 that they will not be able to keep putting all their Pokémon into every single game and started making different rosters for different games, so that each Pokémon in existence gets some opportunities to shine.
If you're making your third games, and you already exceeded the double number of what you initially started with (gen 1 having 151 Pokémon, gen 3 had 386) then it's a point, where you should consider if it's a good idea to always support all the monsters you create. Not only think for this game, and maybe the next after, but also think ahead for in 10 years.

There would have been an outcry had it been done earlier, it wouldn't have been smooth at all. But gen 3 already got an outcry for not allowing transfers from gen 2, and had gen 4 not allowed for transfers either, it would be our reality now and we wouldn't be able to miss it at all now, and no transfers would also have made a national dex useless.

Overall I absolutely agree with you, though.

Kyriaki

Steven Stone For Life
Reaction score
I really hope there's going to be an eventual patch or a third version release with the national dex.

PinkIceFox

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
I don't want a third version release at all.

What I want is a SEQUEL like Black/White 2. If they're gonna make two separate versions it might as well be a whole new story so I can at least PRETEND I don't think they're massive money sucking slugs. : P

Meta Boss

Ace Trainer
Reaction score
No, seriously. This third version crap needs to stop.

You are on the Switch now, Game Freak. It's about time the initial pairs like SwSh start having enough content to not require a third version later on.

Just don't release a game until you consider it third-version-tier-complete.

Last edited:

Blockhead Pippi

Previously known as 'Isamu Akai'
Reaction score
The only time I'd take a third version (oh I'm sorry, I should actually be saying third versions, with a plural, considering that's what GF is now doing) is if it fixed a lot of the problems in the first paired versions. But that's what patches and DLC are for.

In the same light though, the problem with patches and DLC is that they no longer become available once a console's online service ends.

Silktree

Unown Seer
Reaction score
In the same light though, the problem with patches and DLC is that they no longer become available once a console's online service ends.
That's a minor concern, but they could re-release the games with the added content.

Rockapheller

Trainer since late 90's
Reaction score
I am personally not very uncomfortable with the decision, but this is mainly because I tend to not use older Pokémon in the games either way. It may be as bad as everyone assumes, but let's see how it will work out first, I'd say. I also think there will be benefits of this decision as well. I think first time in the past 6 years, we might be getting a new generation with 130+ new Pokémon. I'd actually say having 130+ new Pokémon with some particular older ones is better than sticking with older Pokémon on loop with less amount of new Pokémon.

I'd often complain Pokémon being repetitive and relying too much on older elements. Thus I am fairly okay with the decision for the time being.

Poke Dragon

The boundary between opposites.
Reaction score
Just let third versions die already, it's such a tired idea of releasing the same game with alterations in another year and I hated whenever they did so.

Lilac~♡

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of this news either, but I thought petitions were supposed to be about serious issues. This just seems so childish, and I'm not signing either one.

Leaf_Ranger

Reaction score
Honestly, not forcing oneself to release a game every x years should be the most obvious thing, but for whatever reason (whether it's Nintendo, TPCi, or really just Game Freak we don't 100% know either way) they're not doing it, and well, it still printed money and people (including me) went along with it, not complaining much, or at least not enough.

I also would prefer to wait for a good experience. If Ruby/Sapphire, or even Diamond/Pearl were never a thing and Emerald or Platinum just happened to begin with, it would've been great. I wouldn't miss those versions, because once their improved version released, I never felt any urge to play them ever again. Diamond wasn't bad, but why play Diamond if you have Platinum? What I disliked about USUM was that overall it felt just like too much cheaper than SM in how Emerald and Platinum were a final version that basically combined their initial two games, and USUM was just... DLC content slapped onto the cartridge, to again be sold full price. (At least that's how it felt)
BW2 are a whole different matter, as they're sequels although even then there could have been one sequel to combine them, probably. But that's all in the past.

If SwSh2 or any of those variations come, I won't really be interested anymore. It needs a bit more than GF possibly caving now due to petitions and complaints to get back at their games. I'd be willing to consider it once it feels they got their stuff completely together overall, should that happen, but not before that.

Very much this. Although as much as I, too, suspect it's not entirely on Game Freak, I'm not sure who's to blame to what degree with their release pace.
I've already said this in the other thread but Game Freak could have realised at gen 3 that they will not be able to keep putting all their Pokémon into every single game and started making different rosters for different games, so that each Pokémon in existence gets some opportunities to shine.
If you're making your third games, and you already exceeded the double number of what you initially started with (gen 1 having 151 Pokémon, gen 3 had 386) then it's a point, where you should consider if it's a good idea to always support all the monsters you create. Not only think for this game, and maybe the next after, but also think ahead for in 10 years.

There would have been an outcry had it been done earlier, it wouldn't have been smooth at all. But gen 3 already got an outcry for not allowing transfers from gen 2, and had gen 4 not allowed for transfers either, it would be our reality now and we wouldn't be able to miss it at all now, and no transfers would also have made a national dex useless.

Overall I absolutely agree with you, though.
I think that we have to blame GF and Nintendo on different measures and times. Nintendo sells their consoles grounded on their IP so PKMN is a must for every new console, more so with the power the series has. As for GF, at first they might would want to stop making it (at GSC) but they had to do more and perhaps they thought that doing it would allow them to have more resources and make other games (this can be seen recently on some declarations in which they say they are focused on a non-PKMN game) but due to the popularity of the series and what I've said about Nintendo, they can't be "released".
If this goes on, we'll perhaps have a situation like Konami vs Kojima!! Again, the stories of Mega Flygon, Sugimori's artist block are evidences of tiredness.

Our Wasted Years

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of this news either, but I thought petitions were supposed to be about serious issues. This just seems so childish, and I'm not signing either one.
I think in situations like this it's used more as a data tool to show the company "hey we have X amount of people who don't like your ideas/practices/etc". It's a way to get their attention and also show in some quantifiable way how many people are displeased with the current state of things. I do agree with you though, it's pretty annoying to see it - it's like they are used for any and all types of internet outrage these days.

I saw a post on reddit where someone linked some kind of link on the Pokemon website which is used for feedback to the developers, and that's probably the best way to handle this. The petition stuff is becoming overused, and more and more people will just refuse to take them seriously as time goes on.