• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Haven't pokemon experienced sales drops before, especially recently? Would this really effect them that badly or concerned?

....Sun and Moon were fairly on par with the Gen 6 games, while I suspect they were not expecting super sale totals for USUM and LGPE.

To a point it could, but my one economic class in college (it was a side part of my major, early tenure thing) taught me anything, it is at some point you plateau at a peak point of profit in the balance of cost and people buying it.

Why do I keep need to reminding people of this: just because there will be profit doesn't be the effect would not be felt. To us earning....I don't know 700 million instead of 800 million isn't so much, but to companies that is noticeable. Game Freak isn't also the only part of this chain, so a noticeable effect on things like switch software/hardware sold or merchandise sold will cause the other two parts of our pie: Nintendo and Creatures, to take notice.
Yes and obviously it will take a lot of boycotting to make a $100 million dent so this doesn’t really refute what I said at all...

I honestly don't see GF be at a point of losing sales to the point it concerns or scares em. If a game like LGPE can break records despite having even less than SwSh, little to no chance we'll leave that big of a dent. Let alone convincing many people to ban together like this. I expect 14, maybe 15 mil at worst?

It likely won't have any effect at all:

His perspective seems like one that is looking at things from outside of a fan's perspective, the cold hard truth of the matter. I had no idea the merchandise sold that much more... well, that honestly explains quite a bit. There is never going to be an AAA title then at this rate.

Yes and obviously it will take a lot of boycotting to make a $100 million dent so this doesn’t really refute what I said at all...

Oh how I am glad I kept this image bookmarked

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/game-pie-465x296.jpg

The age of digital media makes it not entirely the easiest thing to break down in full, but if we assume that, say, Game Freak gets 9 dollars per game sold as the developer (with 18 going to Publisher Pokemon CO and 12 dollars to Nintendo...I'll admit this could be different for them),

This is assuming 100% physical sales

100,000,000​
11,111,111.11​
8,333,333​
5,555,556​
9​
12​
18​
...100 million probably not the best example I could have given, though I like to think it is a nice way of showing that each major part of the equation here gets to a point of noticing this amount at different points.

At say, 100% digital it takes even less

100,000,000​
4,761,904.762​
4,166,667​
3,333,333​
21​
24​
30​

Have the number be something less than 100,000,000...

1,000,000​
47,619.04762​
41,666.67​
33,333.33​
21​
24​
30​

1,000,000​
111,111.1111​
83,333.33​
55,555.56​
9​
12​
18​

Suddenly doesn't seem as taking that much, does it?

It likely won't have any effect at all:

His perspective seems like one that is looking at things from outside of a fan's perspective, the cold hard truth of the matter. I had no idea the merchandise sold that much more... well, that honestly explains quite a bit. There is never going to be an AAA title then at this rate.

...And Merchandise sells from quality. Also too much hyperbole.

For context this channel made a video about how Avengers Endgame is the 'end' of Superhero movies.

6 HMs/actions (Surf, Fly, Strenght, Waterfall, Sub, Rockclimb). The professor invented a device that allows you to teleport a pokemon from the box at need. You select 6 pokemon that are able to performe those actions (even if they don't know those moves). Do you need to surf? "The water looks beautiful. Do you want to bring Lapras from the box?". You teleport Lapras. You surf on Lapras. It's basically pokeride but with an explanation. Is it really more incredible to believe than a surfing bike possessed by a ghost pokemon?
that part is easy. there's no real limitations on how that works. the problem comes with the execution of road blocks. HMs, Secret Techniques, PokeRide, all have been there as a part of road blocks. how do you implement those while still having the game make sense. it wouldn't make sense that suddenly you can fly on Noctowl's or surf on Greninja's back.
Why not though? Is it really hard to imagine Lapras waiting to ferry humans across the water at specific points? Especially when their actually lore states that's exactly what they like to do.
and then what happens when you have small ponds? what happens when you want to have islands in your surfing area? the Lapras concept works well on paper, but due to how surfing works, the whole concept of a Lapras Taxi just doesn't execute nearly as well as a Corvinight Cab.

that part is easy. there's no real limitations on how that works. the problem comes with the execution of road blocks. HMs, Secret Techniques, PokeRide, all have been there as a part of road blocks. how do you implement those while still having the game make sense. it wouldn't make sense that suddenly you can fly on Noctowl's or surf on Greninja's back.
Well, in Gen V you didn't need to have any specific badge to use HM moves. For example, thanks to PkHex, I managed to obtain the Energy Ball TM in Aspertia City as soon as I could just because I had a Pokémon that could Surf.

Well, in Gen V you didn't need to have any specific badge to use HM moves. For example, thanks to PkHex, I managed to obtain the Energy Ball TM in Aspertia City as soon as I could just because I had a Pokémon that could Surf.
and in Gen V you can't legally get HMs prior to the badge anyways. (and in Gen 6 onwards the badge restriction was reinstated anyways.)

The age of digital media makes it not entirely the easiest thing to break down in full, but if we assume that, say, Game Freak gets 9 dollars per game sold as the developer (with 18 going to Publisher Pokemon CO and 12 dollars to Nintendo...I'll admit this could be different for them),

100,000,000​
11,111,111.11​
8,333,333​
5,555,556​
9​
12​
18​
...100 million probably not the best example I could have given, though I like to think it is a nice way of showing that each major part of the equation here gets to a point of noticing this amount at different points.

100,000,000​
4,761,904.762​
4,166,667​
3,333,333​
21​
24​
30​

1,000,000​
47,619.04762​
41,666.67​
33,333.33​
21​
24​
30​

1,000,000​
111,111.1111​
83,333.33​
55,555.56​
9​
12​
18​
dunno why you bothered to keep that image bookmarked; it's mostly bunk. (seriously, 15% goes to marketing; what?? that's just a literal cost associated with the game.) there's other sources that give a better indication of where the money ends up (1, 2, 3), but really no one quite knows exactly how revenue is split.

it doesn't seem to take as much, but that's also if you're unaware of the realities. the most recent video for SwSh? less than 30k dislikes. r/pokemon even at the peak of the dex drama? top posts are sub 60k upvotes. could the controversy cause a drop in sales of $1m? sure. that seems realistic enough. much more than that? highly unlikely.

I too am also skeptic about the power of merchandise sales. I will concede that it probably does make up the largest bulk of revenue. And that Game Freak are likely forced into a strict schedule due to the anime, TCG, and manga. But I'm not entirely convinced that Game Freak makes games solely for the sake of merchandising. Do they even directly get merchandise revenue when they are not even the ones making it in the first place?

It's kind of funny actually. The video places such heavy emphasis on merchandising, but I barely see much of that where I live. At most I see clothing apparel, action figures, and the TCG at toy and video game stores. But plush dolls and such aren't really that common.

I too am also skeptic about the power of merchandise sales. I will concede that it probably does make up the largest bulk of revenue. And that Game Freak are likely forced into a strict schedule due to the anime, TCG, and manga. But I'm not entirely convinced that Game Freak makes games solely for the sake of merchandising. Do they even directly get merchandise revenue when they are not even the ones making it in the first place?

It's kind of funny actually. The video places such heavy emphasis on merchandising, but I barely see much of that where I live. At most I see clothing apparel, action figures, and the TCG at toy and video game stores. But plush dolls and such aren't really that common.
The Pokemon Company is made up of Game Freak, Nintendo, and Creatures, Inc. the merchandise sales revenue goes to TPC, which sends cuts to GF, Nintendo, and Creatures. that's how that works. also Pokemon merch is fairly ubiquitous, especially in places like amusement parks and ticket arcade things. and of course, apparel and Nintendo stores and The Pokemon Centers.

There is also the problem that merchandise sales can also dip: I mean plenty of Porg merch sold, but I am pretty sure that I've seen people say that merch sales on Star Wars dipped in that time frame as Disney looked to revamp their take on it.

(....I'd check, but I am both exhausted right now and really, really, REALLY do not need to be looking for the people who give their takes on why the profits are down. Clicking even one new channel about this Pokecrisis got me videos on my feed with interpretations of the reasons that make me roll my eyes, (The people crowd at the Star Wars attractions are high but not at the projected levels, WOKENESS KILLED STAR WARS), I do not want to see what happens if I actually look into that info myself too directly. I do not need reccomendations to look at people ranting about Rey on my case.)

The Pokemon Company is made up of Game Freak, Nintendo, and Creatures, Inc. the merchandise sales revenue goes to TPC, which sends cuts to GF, Nintendo, and Creatures. that's how that works. also Pokemon merch is fairly ubiquitous, especially in places like amusement parks and ticket arcade things. and of course, apparel and Nintendo stores and The Pokemon Centers.
That's fair. I figured it all went to TPCi, though I was skeptic of Game Freak getting a cut on merchandise when they don't even make that.

I think merchandise is only part of the problem though. TPCi (and maybe Nintendo) are likely the root of it. I get the sense that Game Freak really wants to do something different but have no choice but to do what they say. At least those are my suspicions.

That's fair. I figured it all went to TPCi, though I was skeptic of Game Freak getting a cut on merchandise when they don't even make that.

I think merchandise is only part of the problem though. TPCi (and maybe Nintendo) are likely the root of it. I get the sense that Game Freak really wants to do something different but have no choice but to do what they say. At least those are my suspicions.
I believe that's what Gear project was made for. Pokemon's kinda mandatory for them so that's why they put people in separate teams to spread their wings a bit. And this doesn't seem to effect pokemon in any way, so it seems like a decent solution to take breaks from pokemon while still working on it.

For context this channel made a video about how Avengers Endgame is the 'end' of Superhero movies.

Would it not rather sell from advertisement and popularity despite quality? These aren't mutually exclusive.

Tbh, he said that they would slowly decline due to Endgame being the end of a decade+ long story arc, as well as Superhero burnout from the market being over-saturated with so many films of the genre. He also used Cowboy flicks as a reference of the past; overall, I don't see that as hyperbole.

and then what happens when you have small ponds? what happens when you want to have islands in your surfing area? the Lapras concept works well on paper, but due to how surfing works, the whole concept of a Lapras Taxi just doesn't execute nearly as well as a Corvinight Cab.

Small ponds work by simply not designing any to be "small." Making them designated fishing but not surfing areas would also work I suppose. As for islands, simply hop off the Lapras and explore the island? I am suggesting some form of control for a Lapras "ferry," or they could easily give you the option to make a pit stop.

Nothing here is impossible to implement, though the easiest thing to do is simply bring back riding Pokemon like what LGPE had.

100,000,000​
11,111,111.11​
8,333,333​
5,555,556​
9​
12​
18​

100,000,000​
4,761,904.762​
4,166,667​
3,333,333​
21​
24​
30​

1,000,000​
47,619.04762​
41,666.67​
33,333.33​
21​
24​
30​

1,000,000​
111,111.1111​
83,333.33​
55,555.56​
9​
12​
18​

What are these projections even based on? If you’re trying to convince me that it won’t take much for TPCi, GameFreak or however many other companies that fall into the supply chain for Pokémon games to feel any sort of capital impact from the boycott of a game mechanic you haven’t. Obviously they are not invincible. But if consumers are going to send a message to these companies (at least one of which is a billion-dollar corporation) it is going to take a very significant decrease in sales.

What are these projections even based on? If you’re trying to convince me that it won’t take much for TPCi, GameFreak or however many other companies that fall into the supply chain for Pokémon games to feel any sort of capital impact from the boycott of a game mechanic you haven’t. Obviously they are not invincible. But if consumers are going to send a message to these companies (at least one of which is a billion-dollar corporation) it is going to take a very significant decrease in sales.

E.A was visibly horrified when Battlefront 2 sold a million less than expected and Activision had problems for only making 500 million in three days. Remember suh things.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom