• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

The best way to get the point across is not to buy the games, although that's up to every person's preferences and not a boycott. Game Freak don't care about people offering help because that would mean hiring people with sketchy experience; there is no such thing as free help when it comes to a company. You seem to be telling others to help instead of doing that yourself.
You make a good point in regards to that front. It is definitely their right as creators to decline said help. I only said that because what the fan base is currently doing is more likely to make thing worse, so I made a suggestion about something that's much more respectful.
Also, once I gain more experience in the programming department, I actually do intend to help depending on my availability in terms of working hours.

Home hasn't been promoted as a battle simulator and the very name implies something casual. You do realize that if all the Pokemon were playable in Home from the get-go, that would prove that Game Freak could patch them into SwSh in time for Home? It wouldn't be a good look.
And allowing them to be transferred in with no intention of them being used is just as bad since it makes the company seem negligent and uncaring. I doubt Game Freak wants that kind of reputation given that what we do get from the games has a lot of effort put into it around 80% of the time, and they'll be called out for being lazy regardless. It's a situation that calls for the lesser of two evils: will they risk being called out simply for laziness, or will they risk being called negligent on top of that? Of course, there's also the third option of just limiting the Pokémon that can be transferred until such a time comes where they can be used again, which is preferable to the way Pokémon Home is currently said to operate.

The problem here is not 2-3 extra months, either. It's a new direction or policy change (take your pick): They want a smaller pool of Pokemon for SwSh and at least future initial versions.
Wasn't that new policy made with deadlines in mind though? They're clearly doing that because they don't want to keep us waiting; they said so as part of that announcement. Why would they say that if they weren't worried about time constraints? so they probably have the pressure of time constraints currently.

They've patched bad and exploitable glitches in the past, so why would they leave SwSh all glitchy if they want good reviews? Even in LGPE, there was a repair patch when the games wouldn't connect with GO during the first Shiny Meltan event.
Not for SwSh, but it could get to that point in future if they continue down this road.

I just hope that was a mistranslation. Game Freak has to have plans for all Pokémon over the coming year, otherwise people will give up, the franchise dies, and by 2025, everyone would be avoiding it like the plague. Again, we're still five months away from release, so anything could happen. And by now, Nintendo would be aware of the backlash.

While I do agree that limiting the amount of Pokemon going forward does sound potentially problematic, I don't think that it could spell the end of the franchise. Maybe it's because I take forever to transfer over my Pokemon from older to more recent games, but I keep seeing these kind of remarks and it only sounds like huge exaggerations to me. Assuming that they are going in this route for future games, I don't see Game Freak sticking with it if it drastically impact sales or make people want to avoid Pokemon games like the plague.

Pokémon is first and foremost a game for children, and you can bet that children will buy and enjoy the new games. If you’re going to deprive yourselves of a potentially amazing game out of sheer spite, well, that’s your choice.

The thought that not willing to shell out $60 to play a game where your all time favorite Pokemon may not be there is "spite" is itself spiteful though. I don't get why some people have to interpret this like that.

Besides, I only get very limited enjoyment out of Pokemon these days. The highs I get off stuff seem lower these days.

The thought that not willing to shell out $60 to play a game where your all time favorite Pokemon may not be there is "spite" is itself spiteful though. I don't get why some people have to interpret this like that.

Besides, I only get very limited enjoyment out of Pokemon these days. The highs I get of stuff seem lower these days.

Because some of those people who were singing praises about the games now want the producers’ heads because they aren’t getting things their way. I can understand being mad about something that you dislike about the games — in my case, I’m still a bit sad about the lack of following Pokémon — but suddenly ditching something that you liked so far just because of one thing is simply something that I cannot fathom.

Because some of those people who were singing praises about the games now want the producers’ heads because they aren’t getting things their way. I can understand being mad about something that you dislike about the games — in my case, I’m still a bit sad about the lack of following Pokémon — but suddenly ditching something that you liked so far just because of one thing is simply something that I cannot fathom.

I'm not ditching it. I'm just revising my plans to buy it. I can still enjoy looking at new Pokemon online. No big deal.

It's not like I'm heartbroken. Just a bit disappointed. It's no major thing like you're implying.

Pokémon is first and foremost a game for children, and you can bet that children will buy and enjoy the new games. If you’re going to deprive yourselves of a potentially amazing game out of sheer spite, well, that’s your choice.
I haven't forgotten about them. In fact, one of my biggest complaints about Game Freak's decision is that some kid is going to transfer their favorite Pokémon over to Pokémon Home only to find out that they can't use it and it's stuck in there. Why allow all of the Pokémon from Bank to be transferred over if they're most likely never going to get to use their buddy going forward? Little Tommy and all the other kids out there aren't going to be happy with that whether they understand why or not.

Last edited:
I think people are jumping to conclusions too fast.

For starters this really only affects online play and post game since being limited to certain Pokémon during the main story isn’t a new thing.

Competitive play is a large part of Pokémon, and I’m sure they have a plan to alllow for those competitive battlers.

There is also the fact that we don’t know how many are in the dex and what considers them to be in the dex. People are assuming we’re going to have only about 150ish but we know that Galar is introducing around that in new Pokémon, which may or may not include forms. And in addition to that we know there are tons of Pokémon from other generations thanks to the trailers.

And Pokémon is more than just transferring over ones from previous games. If that’s all people see Pokémon as then gamefreak is better off developing a different game and abandoning the franchise.

Also as for kids transferring pokemon, their parents have to be willing to pay for switch online first.

Lastly about outside help, that’s very risky. Just look up Inazuma Eleven Ares and see what happened to that game. It’s by level five, which while not as big as Nintendo, it’s a decent company being the creators of several dragonquest, the Layton series, and yokai watch. They had outside help and this we’ve had a game constantly delayed.

I love petitions
I like the absolute silence they make as they fail to do anything

How's that Game of Thrones rewrite coming along? How about the Sequel Trilogy remake?

....Yeah, those are the same thing as 'patch this'. A fix is different from a remake.

In the quiet words of Angry Videogame Nerd

what were they thinking?

They are literally on the most powerful console they've ever worked on, and now they want to ditch scores of Pokemon (no doubt someone's favourite will be lost). I mean, it's just some bloody numbers, you've already got ALL of the models since they're not changed from 3DS era. There's basically no extra work involved for the old Pokemon.

Every game becomes more about style over substance. This isn't difficult, Game Freak, it's just Game Freak being difficult.

As far as I'm concerned, either a hard, hard reboot, or carry over everything to the next game. You cannot have it both ways. We know we're missing an n% of the game, of the experience.

I feel the same with Spyro fans. Activision makes him the leading character of the Skylanders franchise, and they end up getting terrorist threats. Delay Spyro Reignited Trilogy by two months, and flame wars persist. And even when the game comes out and is well-received by most people, they'll still find an excuse to whine.

The Spyro controversy was not because of the delay, it was because they only included the first level of Spyro 2 and Spyro 3 in the disc, and you had to download the rest. So people that don't have an Internet connection or do have a crappy one are screwed.

EDIT: Also, Spyro is more of a cameo character in Skylanders, and it was a recolor of another character that didn't make it into the games (I think it was called Fire Dragon or something?). So, he's not the main character.

About this petition, to quote Dr. Jordan B. Peterson:

"Yeah, well, good luck with that".

Last edited:
Can someone explain why it's that important to have a regional Dex available in SwSh?

I feel like some people are roaring about this when it's just a point, a feature that is not included, perhaps not understanding or seeing the recent history of the main Pkmn games' development.
This may be only my opinion but from what I've been reading for the past years, Game Freak has two teams and they'll switch the team that is working with Pkmn and the one working with other titles, so right here we have a detail that reveals that we'll perhaps not get coherence between games, because they're made by different people with different ideas and even priorities and hence, like I've said before, this might turn out like the multiple teams that make Assasin's Creed games.
Secondly, it was said a few years ago by GF that they try to cater to newer audicences always, so here you'll know what's their focus: children. They do this by trying to always come up with new features and forget older fans. Evidence: how badly Kanto starters were shoved in XY and how Alolan forms just for Kanto were made. This says that GF thinks that "older" fans are always or most likely Gen. I players when it might not be the case and even if it was, they could expand it.
Tied to all of this, we all know how GF tries to tie a specific feature to a certain region/Gen. so they do not care of having something that I find important: a staple on which to build the new games. So, as you can see we never had Seasons again as a feature and instead we're getting a Safari Zone with "dynamic weather" (Arceus, I'm so sick of hearing about this feature in game, which most of the time means random weather created and changed just for show). DOn't be surprised when something gets removed or added.
GF is getting more like Hideo Kojima: both have a series that made them successful but are somewhat tired of just doing that but since it's requested, it keeps coming but getting worse and worse until there's war between what the fans believe they're entitled to, what the creators want and what the company responsible wants.

PS: ASOR was most certainly known internally by GF and yet Mega Blaziken was revealed in XY; Mega Flygon didn't come to be due to artist's block and now we have "amazing" Turner...oh well.

Last edited:
I think a petition is more reasonable than the sheer amount of hate comments they're getting. I'd rather people just sign this rather than threatening and cussing at the devs.
This I agree with.

Showing hate towards the creators in such a way is just wrong.

Honestly I think people should have more faith in GF. Yes sometimes they’ll screw up, but they do strive to improve. For example the horrible story that was xy. But then in SM we got a pretty good one. Lack of non unova Pokémon in BW, changed in BW2. Crappy examples probably but they show that GF strives to make our experiences better.

They just made the announcement, so no doubt they have other plans with it, but that won’t matter if people don’t give them time and stuff.

I used this link (feedback form on official Pokemon site) earlier to express my frustration, making my voice be heard about how some Pokemon got cut off and I'm sure that it would help if more people actually reached out to the Pokemon company itself to give their voice.

....I don't envy the support staffers.

Staff: Masuda-San, there are hundreds of support emails about your comments at E3, they are all negative.

Masuada: ....Pull Metroid People to fix this, no one cares about that franchise!

Could this be the generation that "jumps the Sharpedo"? There is a saying what's goes up must come down, and this could be the generation that will start the decline of Pokemon, and would not be helped by this controversy in regards to the Galar Pokedex in which you can't import Pokemon into the game if it isn't in the Galar Pokedex. From the look of it, I feel torn between buying a Switch for these games or skipping the generation (I skipped Generation III).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom