• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

I signed them, but I'm a bit cynical about any petition actually doing anything to change GF's mind. :c
Even if it doesn't change GF's mind, it can still bring attention to the issue. Game of Thrones fans made a petition to remake season 8. The petition even said that they knew the cause was fruitless, but they just wanted a way for fans to express their displeasure with that shitty season. Thanks to all the noise people made through that, negative reviews and other methods, the show's flaws were brought to light to the general public.

How do you know they don’t have plans already? They made one announcement about one thing. There is no reason to assume they don’t have a plan in place. And I know that means that they might not have one, but until we know more about everything coming out, we shouldn’t jump the gun.

If I get a quarter for everytime someone says that we shouldn't jump on the gun, I'd be a millionaire by now but seriously, I'm very tired of people using that same argument over and over again.

They literally just said that they're undecided on what to do about the Pokemon that isn't in Sword/Shield game as seen from the interview yesterday. So yes, it's safe to assume that they don't have any plans with Pokemon that got cut off from the game and they didn't really say anything about if they have any plans or not two days ago in the Treehouse Live, just that some Pokemon are cut off from the game.

Even if it doesn't change GF's mind, it can still bring attention to the issue. Game of Thrones fans made a petition to remake season 8. The petition even said that they knew the cause was fruitless, but they just wanted a way for fans to express their displeasure with that shitty season. Thanks to all the noise people made through that, negative reviews and other methods, the show's flaws were brought to light to the general public.

SO MUCH OF THIS!! Even if it doesn't change anything, best it can do is to bring the company into the light so more people would be aware that they just don't care about what fans think so it can affect the company to be in a bad place unless they actually do something about it.

So by now we've all heard the bad news that Sword and Shield (and future games onward) will not only limit the number of Pokemon available, but also make old Pokemon that aren't in the regional dex non-transferable. Admittedly, Masuda's explanation was vague and didn't convey the issue properly. However, this thread on reddit "Why it's IMPOSSIBLE to have a National Dex from now on, explained by a Game Artist" explains the issue quite well. In short:
  • Pokemon on the Nintendo Switch takes up 15 MB on graphics alone based on LGPE
  • With 904 unique Pokemon models (unique species and forms) that's over 13.5 GB for existing Pokemon
  • In comparison, LoZ: BoTW requires 13.4 GB
  • If they introduce 70 - 100 new Pokemon that's already 14.6 to 15.1 GB on Pokemon models alone.
People have argued that Pokemon, as the highest-grossing media franchise above the likes of Star Wars and the MCU, should be able to afford the staff needed to make all these models. The issue, however, is that because Nintendo uses proprietary cartridges for their consoles, equivalent software tend to be more expensive on Nintendo consoles than other systems because of cost of manufacturing, and while larger cartridges are in development, cartridge size add to the game's cost, with most Switch games using 8 or 16 GB. By these calculations, Pokemon will already have to use the most expensive cartridges currently available. In the end, limiting the Pokemon seems to be due to a desire to keep Pokemon games (relatively) affordable on the Switch (again, as affordable as these games get).

So where do we move from here? Both Microsoft and Google are pivoting to cloud-based gaming, where everything is handled server-side and games are streamed to consoles. This may not be an ideal solution, but at the end of the day, due to storage capacity issues, its possible that the only way we'll see all Pokemon in the same games again is through cloud gaming.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
This has been discussed in the main thread. It's been pretty much rendered moot by a counter Reddit post, which actually accounts for compression and reduces the LGPE size to 831KB per model. If you multiply that by 1000, which is Masuda's estimate for total number of species+forms, then it's 0.83 GB. You can multiply that by 2 if Game Freak don't know how to resize models sensibly (and there is no excuse for that if so), and it will still be just 1.66 GB. The rest of the game doesn't exactly scream Breath of The Wild, does it? There shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with patches if a cartridge isn't big enough, or why 32 GB is off-limits when Dragon Quest Heroes and Witcher 3 use it. Cloud-basing gaming is an extreme solution right now.

Last edited:
This has been discussed in the main thread. It's been pretty much rendered moot by a counter Reddit post, which actually accounts for compression and reduces the LGPE size to 831KB per model. If you multiply that by 1000 which is Masuda's estimate for total number of species+forms, then it's 0.83 GB. You can multiply that by 2 if Game Freak don't know how to resize models sensibly, and it will still be just 1.6 GB. The rest of the game doesn't exactly scream Breath of The Wild, does it?

Also, I don't see what's wrong with patches if a cartridge isn't big enough, or why 32 GB is off-limits when Dragon Quest Monsters and Witcher 3 use it. Cloud-basing gaming is an extreme solution.
I hadn't seen the compression comments because I had read it much earlier and didn't post until now, but yes it is a pretty moot point. Trying to give Game Freak the benefit of the doubt, but of course that's never really advisable lol

I mean it could be part of the motivation, but GF are so incompetent as programmers that they had to constantly outsource things to the late great Iwata, so it's a mixture of practicality and incompetence I guess you could say? For instance, Maxing in Pokemon SwSh has seperate models for each Pokemon instead of pumping up the Pokemon's model or shrinking the size of the stadium. My husband says that shrinking the size of the stadium would pretty much create the same effect and be more practical given that Maxing can only take place in certain areas - so far either in Gym Stadiums or the Red Void of Max Raids - which would make shrinking the background relative to the Pokemon models even more space-saving.

I mean it could be part of the motivation, but GF are so incompetent as programmers that they had to constantly outsource things to the late great Iwata, so it's a mixture of practicality and incompetence I guess you could say? For instance, Maxing in Pokemon SwSh has seperate models for each Pokemon instead of pumping up the Pokemon's model or shrinking the size of the stadium. My husband says that shrinking the size of the stadium would pretty much create the same effect and be more practical given that Maxing can only take place in certain areas - so far either in Gym Stadiums or the Red Void of Max Raids - which would make shrinking the background relative to the Pokemon models even more space-saving.
After learning how Iwata's amazing programming skills basically saved the series I actually wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have the ability to properly compress the models but hey they've done it once with LGPE...

Maybe Masuda should step down ¯\(ツ)

I remember reading somewhere that a game (I think it may have been an X-Box game) was too big for a disc (I'm talking about Blu-Ray-sized disc in regards to memory), so required a patch to unlock everything, and that patch was 45GB (bigger than Nintendo's propriety cartridges, which currently has a maximum of 16GB). So I think it is possible to unlock all Pokemon via a patch once Sword and Shield is released via a patch if memory is at a premium on the cartridge, and this is because broadband internet is becoming more common and downloading can be faster via broadband.

After learning how Iwata's amazing programming skills basically saved the series I actually wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have the ability to properly compress the models but hey they've done it once with LGPE...

Maybe Masuda should step down ¯\(ツ)

I think it's just that aside from them being bad game programmers, GF just doesn't have the manpower to turn out a AAA game every year or even every 2 years, and that's what Pokemon is now. There needs to be a system where GF handles character design and an outside technical team handles basically everything else.

I was afraid that Dynamax would cost more valuable assets from being utilized, and from what I've been seeing with Game Freak's coding abilities that practically confirms it. Of course, it's apparent now that there would be issues even if Dynamax weren't in these games; Game Freak needs to reroute their priorities.

Things are going to have to change from the ground up on this area in particular. Imagine what kind of game would be possible if a competent coding and graphics design studio could work separately on the technical issues as you put it. Perhaps it's time for Nintendo to just seize their share of the company assets and develop in-house.

I...

Can they take a coursera course or something. How could Game Freak, as a company, exist for so long and not learn how to code better. Or hire people who can code better.

I (don't) hate to say it but I hope this is the fall of Game Freak and that Nintendo and TPC (owning two thirds of the franchise collectively) gets someone else to make the games. But then again, there's no accountability. Unless SwSh flops (it won't) there's no reason for Game Freak to get better at anything because they know they can give suboptimal games and still maximize profits.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie. I've let out a mad cackle or two after hearing how grossly incompetent these guys are with their programming. I'm very far from being good at coding. I couldn't code the simplest thing on my own. But even I know there's gotta be a better way to code models than to HAVE ONE OF EVERY MODEL PRESENT IN CODING FOR EVERY LOCATION THEY'RE FOUND IN.

Sweet crisps get some skilled young adults in there.

did you all though that they really could have not had the time to code them all into the games 800 pokemon, we got features with moving ones in the wild, battle animations, new game mechanic, I understand that they could have had not the time to code them all into this game.
Also fans wanted gen 8 so fast. People should be happy that they have old pokemon at all. I think this issue will be solved in 1,5 or 2 year when next games come out... I hope that they will not create hard to animate new things in gen 9 and focus to use what they alredy got more when it comes to animations.

Hope they take the word simple more to heart.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom