• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

I used to be starkly adamant that only Game Freak should handle the main series because they know that series best. But in light of recent developments and the reveal of how grossly-incompetent their programming is, my opinion is starting to change.

I still think GF should absolutely be in the lead as far as designing the Pokemon games (though I won't lie, they have also been pretty lazy on that front as well), but perhaps outsource the programming to a more talented studio or even collab with one. Probably one of Nintendo's since the main series games only ever release on Nintendo devices anyway.

After over 20+ years since GRBY, you'd think that GF would have improved a lot since with their methods. Clearly they haven't. I don't know if the pressure of releasing new generations has anything to do that, but I earnestly feel that GF should expand as a company and create more original projects. Especially now that Pokemon is losing momentum.

I used to be starkly adamant that only Game Freak should handle the main series because they know that series best. But in light of recent developments and the reveal of how grossly-incompetent their programming is, my opinion is starting to change.

I still think GF should absolutely be in the lead as far as designing the Pokemon games (though I won't lie, they have also been pretty lazy on that front as well), but perhaps outsource the programming to a more talented studio or even collab with one. Probably one of Nintendo's since the main series games only ever release on Nintendo devices anyway.

After over 20+ years since GRBY, you'd think that GF would have improved a lot since with their methods. Clearly they haven't. I don't know if the pressure of releasing new generations has anything to do that, but I earnestly feel that GF should expand as a company and create more original projects. Especially now that Pokemon is losing momentum.

GF just strikes like like the production team on Season 8 of Game of Thrones - they're there because they have to be, not because they want to be.

GF just strikes like like the production team on Season 8 of Game of Thrones - they're there because they have to be, not because they want to be.
It's pretty much just that. Game Freak didn't even have any intention to continue the series after GSC. They only had to to fulfill a growing demand that came with the high popularity. We have truly come full circle now.

This is why I call myself a fan of Gen 1. Not because of nostalgia (the Gen 1 games were extremely flawed and even I've grown tired of playing them), but because they were imbued with love and creativity that the series is now lacking. Same with Gen 2. Both generations took risks and it were those risks that really paid off.

I'm of the opinion that I don't want a Pokemon game every year. I would rather wait two or three years for the best possible game than get half finished games every year. Sun and Moon were rushed out for the 20th anniversary and it showed. SwSh are poorly programed because "Gotta make that November deadline!" instead of taking that time to learn how to make a game in 2019. I'm not even going to waste my money on a Pokemon Home subscription because what's the point of transferring up all of my long time favorites who have been by my side since Sapphire if I won't be able to use most of them?

There is also another thing about the storage system. There is a chance that Pokémon Bank won’t stay around forever. It could end up deactivated at some point in the future, just like the DS and Wii servers have been shut down.

So, there will be some point where all those past captures will stay stuck in the 3DS games unless moved to the HOME cloud storage beforehand.

As such, what would be better option? To move the Pokémon forward and rotate the rosters with each game, or to keep them all together but permanently stuck in past games? The first smart genius who says “all Pokémon in the same game” will get a tomato thrown on their face by yours truly. :v

I think the issue a lot of people have is worrying about their favourite pokemon no longer being in the game series.
Thankfully, all but alolan raichu have been confirmed as far as my own favourites go but one of my friends LOVES whimsicott which is not likely to make an appearance. It's sort of the base for her party every time.

The change also starts the question of will they ever put some of these pokemon back into the main games or will it be 'bye, you aren't popular enough'. I personally expect a swsh 2 situation that adds all the pokemon in a few years.

Also i do have to question the fact that TRUBBISH has been confirmed for the Galar dex. It is rubbish (Though probably someones favourite mon too).

I can somewhat understand people being taken by surprise with this, namely due to the crappy explanation but like I've said, after a series of bad decisions and constant makeovers, I'm not surprised and people should be prepared for this and worse, just in case, not creating high expectations.

I honestly think that it would be more acceptable and useful storywise if they were to say that there's a ban in Galar on foreign Pkmn due to invasive species in order to take advantage of Brexit and Trump's Wall!!

Nintendo should be more involved with Game Freak much like Iwata was at the time.

Yesterday I thought on how Game Freak should search for a new Iwata to solve this mess just like he saved space back in Gold/Silver and allowed the inclusion of Kanto.
GF's justification seems like the one from Ubisoft when saying that they didn't had the resources to make a female protagonist in Unity when most of the times, Ubisoft recycles animations from one protagonist to the other!

It is and I find myself more excited for it than I ever have been with SwSh.

I think people are focusing too much on one statement I made in my post. Especially when I actually do agree with the criticisms for this decision. My main point with my contribution is that TPCi, Nintendo, and GF have gotten too greedy and it's led to them pumping out releases without any significant developments. The last few generations have honestly been lazy and essentially rehashes of the same-old. SM was a small step in the right direction (though I honestly suspect the only reason GF did what they did with that was because Yokai Watch was growing more popular), but the execution of it was poorly done and honestly feels like a step back to me than a step forward.

Granted, Level-5 hasn't been much better with how they released three major "generations" (if the YKW games can even be called that) on one platform alone. But they did see a dip in sales with YKW 3 and from the sounds of it they did recognize that fact and are looking to improve. Which we can see with YKW 4. So I at least have to commend to Level-5 that they are willing to take feedback and actually take risks with their series.
GF unlike Level 5 does admittedly have the advantage of partners like Nintendo who are realiable and probably wouldn’t screw them over. So they should look to take advantage for those trustworthy allies for future games if they are having coding issues. If Nintendo can’t help them with trustworthy people, then that’s worrying.

Yesterday I thought on how Game Freak should search for a new Iwata to solve this mess just like he saved space back in Gold/Silver and allowed the inclusion of Kanto.
GF's justification seems like the one from Ubisoft when saying that they didn't had the resources to make a female protagonist in Unity when most of the times, Ubisoft recycles animations from one protagonist to the other!
Even if they found a new Iwata, though, then the whole mess solving is only on the shoulders of one person and that just feels so highly inefficient in comparison to....well, taking care not to make a too big mess to begin with?
I mean if there's always someone to solve your mess, would you even really care about the mess you make anymore if it's of not much consequence to you?

As I said in the main SwSh thread, I wouldn't accept anybody other than Game Freak to design the Pokémon creatures themselves. I think this component should always remain Game Freak's responsibility. I simply don't trust anybody else to be capable of giving the Pokémon their unique Pokémon vibe.

However, the more I think about it, the more I start to warm up to the idea of Game Freak letting somebody else develop everything else (region, human characters, main features, side features, plot, etc).

I've always liked PKMN for being a game that had Japanese vibes so much that I felt that it lost it after Gen. V with the regions being inspired somewhere else, so I think that GF can stay but they need to have staples on which to build the series instead of always diving into something new, stop switching internal teams and instead increase the number of the ones that handles PKMN and also listen to fans not only in Japan but around the world, even if that too big a task.

PS: remove Ohmori and Turner!

Last edited:
Even if they found a new Iwata, though, then the whole mess solving is only on the shoulders of one person and that just feels so highly inefficient in comparison to....well, taking care not to make a too big mess to begin with?
I mean if there's always someone to solve your mess, would you even really care about the mess you make anymore if it's of not much consequence to you?

Indeed, but just like I've replied on another thread, they should hire more people and have a much larger and Pkmn dedicated team, instead of switching internal teams.

Indeed, but just like I've replied on another thread, they should hire more people and have a much larger and Pkmn dedicated team, instead of switching internal teams.
Well, yeah. If they want to keep their pace with when they release games, and can't manage, they need more people and probably also more skill. I mean, if you try to bake a big cake, it doesn't matter if it's just 3 people who never tried baking before or 10 people who never tried baking before, their cake will just never match the one 5 people who are real professionals would make.

I'm not saying Game Freak doesn't have professional employees but the way they cut corners just lets me personally believe that they need to expand in quantity as well as in quality... or just keep cutting content and eventually accept defeat because I think there'll be a limit on what people will accept.
These petitions, the dislikes on a YT video are just a start and reputations can spread pretty fast.

Well, yeah. If they want to keep their pace with when they release games, and can't manage, they need more people and probably also more skill. I mean, if you try to bake a big cake, it doesn't matter if it's just 3 people who never tried baking before or 10 people who never tried baking before, their cake will just never match the one 5 people who are real professionals would make.

I'm not saying Game Freak doesn't have professional employees but the way they cut corners just lets me personally believe that they need to expand in quantity as well as in quality... or just keep cutting content and eventually accept defeat because I think there'll be a limit on what people will accept.
These petitions, the dislikes on a YT video are just a start and reputations can spread pretty fast.

Another option would be to just end their patterns. Pkmn doesn't need to come out every X years and having "new game, remake, better version"! I prefer to wait and have a good experience than just receiving rushed stuff only to have latter a "final/complete" version sold again (which isn't cheap). I bought Emerald and Platinum, but after the late I was disapointed on how it was only a little upgrade so I didn't bought UMUS and I've decided that I'll wait for Sh2Sw2 and even if it doesn't come, I can deal with it.

While I absolutely agree that GF shouldn't be pumping out releases so quickly (though I also highly suspect that the blame also lies on Nintendo's and TPCi's shoulders if they're pressuring them), pacing themselves still won't lead to an improvement of their programming if they're not actually taking steps to streamline it.

At best, pacing themselves and slowing down on the releases would have only delayed the inevitable. We would have still gotten to the point where GF throws in the towel and admits "We can't keep including everything anymore." Although if they were given more breaks and room to experiment with other projects, then maybe GF would have had more opportunities to actually learn.

It's as I said, we've come full circle.

Rant time. Please remain seated until further notice.

I hate to say it, but people are forgetting what the whole purpose of a new Pokemon game: the NEW content. Not the old content, the new stuff. Unless it is a remake, the whole point of a new Pokemon game is to show off the new stuff, not glorify the old stuff over and over and over again. People are like, "Oh, no, I can't use Totodile in Sword/Shield, the game is ruined for me." "Pokemon is dead because I can't use old Pokemon." "I'm canceling my preorder because I can't use Blaziken." Really? Is that all everyone cares about nowadays? People are allowed to be disappointed, but going as far as things like partitions, boycotting, and who knows what else because you can't use a particular Mon is completely childish. People are entitled to their own opinions, but when it's going as far as this, then that's just entering purely a self-entitled attitude. Remember, the games are NOT about the old stuff and the old stuff alone. It's about the NEW stuff. People really need to stop complaining so much and appreciate the games for WHAT THE HAVE! Not what they DON'T have. Yes, I get it, people can get attached to their Mons, I understand that, but when that fixation eclipses everything else, then that's going too far. I, for one, am going to enjoy Sword/Shield not for the OLD content, but for the NEW stuff. The new Mons, the new region, the new story, the new characters. You get it? I'm interested in the NEW stuff, and that's what people should be focusing on instead of whining about select old things not being in the games! That's the whole point of a new Pokemon game: what's important is the NEW STUFF, not what's old. Yes, I understand, people have certain things they want, I get that, but GF CANNOT cater to every single little thing the fans want. That's just not possible.

People really need to take a massive step back and remember that the games are meant to be enjoyed for WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER. It's not always about the old-and-familiar, as that's not the purpose of a new game. It's about making new discoveries, learning about the new content, exploring the games to their fullest, learning on the fly, and most of all, enjoying them for what they offer. Really, is that so hard to understand? No National Dex is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!! Sheesh, everyone, just cool your jets, take a step back, and appreciate what GF has put into these games before you start exploding like irate Electrodes over stuff that isn't in the games. The games are meant to be enjoyed for what they have to offer on their own, as that's their whole purpose. It's not about catering to every single whim and want that the fans have, it's about enjoying the games for what they already have to offer. The games are not even out yet and people are erupting like volcanoes because the games don't have one specific thing they want in it.

When these games come out, I will play them, not for the old stuff, but for the new stuff, so I can see what they have to offer and enjoy it as much as possible without complaining that a certain Mon I like isn't in them. That's one reason why I liked BW so much, as it allowed me to enjoy all the new content to the fullest without anything old bogging them down. To me, this is the same thing, and people really need to take a moment to simmer down and look at the big picture. People are entitled to their own opinions, as I'm indulging in that right now, but when it gets to the point that people are threatening the creators, signing petitions, and showing such childish outrage over minor stuff is going too far. Everyone, please, take a step back, cool your heads, and appreciate what the games are going to offer. Sure, you can't transfer EVERY Mon over, but so what? Is it really THAT important to have certain Mons on hand that you're willing to trash the games before they even come out? Does it really eclipse everything else that you feel the games (and the franchise) are ruined because of things like this? If so, then I suggest you quit the franchise here and now and never return, because you're clearly forgetting about what's important. It's not about the old, it's about the new, and the new should get center focus over everything else. And, most of all, it's ENJOYING the games as they are.

So what if you can't transfer EVERY old Mon into it, as they're NOT supposed to be the focus here. It's about the new Mons, the new characters, the new story, the new gameplay, the new region, just everything that is new. The old stuff really needs to step over to the side for once and allow the games, region, and characters to shine on their own. That's where XY and SM/USUM fell flat on, as the old overshadowed the new. Well, now it's time for people to stop complaining that the old isn't the focus and instead lock onto the new stuff that is going to take place in these games. Take a step forward for once and see what the games have to offer BEFORE complaining. The games haven't even come out yet, and people are going as far as petitions that GF aren't going to listen to anyway so they, the fans, can have every single little thing they want to satisfy their selfish attitudes. Face it, the games are coming out with what they've been planned to have whether you like it or not. My suggestion is this: pick up the games and play them as they are. Learn to enjoy them for what they have and not have a meltdown over the stuff they don't have. That's the whole point of a new game: to enjoy it for what it has, not what it doesn't have, as well as enjoy the new stuff instead of focusing solely on the old stuff. I get people are upset, really, I do, but it's going beyond sensible reason at this point. I'm complaining right now, too, and I apologize for it, but this is getting out of hand and I can't stay quiet while the world is self-destructing over very specific things that aren't in a soon-to-be released new game. Have our communities really gotten this toxic to the point no one is willing to simply enjoy the games for what they have to offer anymore? Is this what we've been reduced to? Everyone needs to step back, cool your heads, and look at the big picture. No matter how you slice it, the games will come out as planned with the content they're going to have as planned, and they will be purchased without fail. The best thing to do in this situation is enjoy the games for what they have, not what they don't have. That goes for Home, too, as it doesn't sound like it'll be just Bank 2.0. So, everyone, please, take a moment to cool your heads, take a good, long look at what the games have to offer, and just simply enjoy them for that. You're entitled to your own opinions, that's fine, but don't overblow it like the universe is about to implode. Act rationally, think logically, and save all final judgments until the games themselves have come out. That's all I will say now, as I think I've said enough.

Another option would be to just end their patterns. Pkmn doesn't need to come out every X years and having "new game, remake, better version"! I prefer to wait and have a good experience than just receiving rushed stuff only to have latter a "final/complete" version sold again (which isn't cheap). I bought Emerald and Platinum, but after the late I was disapointed on how it was only a little upgrade so I didn't bought UMUS and I've decided that I'll wait for Sh2Sw2 and even if it doesn't come, I can deal with it.
Honestly, not forcing oneself to release a game every x years should be the most obvious thing, but for whatever reason (whether it's Nintendo, TPCi, or really just Game Freak we don't 100% know either way) they're not doing it, and well, it still printed money and people (including me) went along with it, not complaining much, or at least not enough.

I also would prefer to wait for a good experience. If Ruby/Sapphire, or even Diamond/Pearl were never a thing and Emerald or Platinum just happened to begin with, it would've been great. I wouldn't miss those versions, because once their improved version released, I never felt any urge to play them ever again. Diamond wasn't bad, but why play Diamond if you have Platinum? What I disliked about USUM was that overall it felt just like too much cheaper than SM in how Emerald and Platinum were a final version that basically combined their initial two games, and USUM was just... DLC content slapped onto the cartridge, to again be sold full price. (At least that's how it felt)
BW2 are a whole different matter, as they're sequels although even then there could have been one sequel to combine them, probably. But that's all in the past.

If SwSh2 or any of those variations come, I won't really be interested anymore. It needs a bit more than GF possibly caving now due to petitions and complaints to get back at their games. I'd be willing to consider it once it feels they got their stuff completely together overall, should that happen, but not before that.

While I absolutely agree that GF shouldn't be pumping out releases so quickly (though I also highly suspect that the blame also lies on Nintendo's and TPCi's shoulders if they're pressuring them), pacing themselves still won't lead to an improvement of their programming if they're not actually taking steps to streamline it.

At best, pacing themselves and slowing down on the releases would have only delayed the inevitable. We would have still gotten to the point where GF throws in the towel and admits "We can't keep including everything anymore." Although if they were given more breaks and room to experiment with other projects, then maybe GF would have had more opportunities to actually learn.

It's as I said, we've come full circle.
Very much this. Although as much as I, too, suspect it's not entirely on Game Freak, I'm not sure who's to blame to what degree with their release pace.
I've already said this in the other thread but Game Freak could have realised at gen 3 that they will not be able to keep putting all their Pokémon into every single game and started making different rosters for different games, so that each Pokémon in existence gets some opportunities to shine.
If you're making your third games, and you already exceeded the double number of what you initially started with (gen 1 having 151 Pokémon, gen 3 had 386) then it's a point, where you should consider if it's a good idea to always support all the monsters you create. Not only think for this game, and maybe the next after, but also think ahead for in 10 years.

There would have been an outcry had it been done earlier, it wouldn't have been smooth at all. But gen 3 already got an outcry for not allowing transfers from gen 2, and had gen 4 not allowed for transfers either, it would be our reality now and we wouldn't be able to miss it at all now, and no transfers would also have made a national dex useless.

Overall I absolutely agree with you, though.

Not all of our grievances has to do with the drop of older species though.

A lot of us are simply irked by GF's greed, mismanagement, and how the games have gotten same'ish and stopped taking risks. Even before Sun/Moon came out, which was a massive disappointment for me (despite having every species coded into the games), I was already growing tired of GF giving us the same rehashes over and over again in a very short period of time. And although Sun/Moon did take a step forward in trying to innovate, its execution was poorly done at best and should have probably been developed for the Switch instead.

While I absolutely agree with you that the new content is what's more important, the fact is....Sword/Shield doesn't offer enough new stuff to interest me. It just doesn't. All it really gives us is a bigger region with new species, which every other generation has done, and Dynamax formes which really aren't all that great or exciting. It's not a selling point for me especially after being burned by Sun/Moon. And unless Sword/Shield offers a lot more, then I probably won't be interested.

If I do decide to get Sword or Shield, then it'd probably be used copy.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom