• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Rant time. Please remain seated until further notice.

I hate to say it, but people are forgetting what the whole purpose of a new Pokemon game: the NEW content. Not the old content, the new stuff. Unless it is a remake, the whole point of a new Pokemon game is to show off the new stuff, not glorify the old stuff over and over and over again. People are like, "Oh, no, I can't use Totodile in Sword/Shield, the game is ruined for me." "Pokemon is dead because I can't use old Pokemon." "I'm canceling my preorder because I can't use Blaziken." Really? Is that all everyone cares about nowadays? People are allowed to be disappointed, but going as far as things like partitions, boycotting, and who knows what else because you can't use a particular Mon is completely childish. People are entitled to their own opinions, but when it's going as far as this, then that's just entering purely a self-entitled attitude. Remember, the games are NOT about the old stuff and the old stuff alone. It's about the NEW stuff. People really need to stop complaining so much and appreciate the games for WHAT THE HAVE! Not what they DON'T have. Yes, I get it, people can get attached to their Mons, I understand that, but when that fixation eclipses everything else, then that's going too far. I, for one, am going to enjoy Sword/Shield not for the OLD content, but for the NEW stuff. The new Mons, the new region, the new story, the new characters. You get it? I'm interested in the NEW stuff, and that's what people should be focusing on instead of whining about select old things not being in the games! That's the whole point of a new Pokemon game: what's important is the NEW STUFF, not what's old. Yes, I understand, people have certain things they want, I get that, but GF CANNOT cater to every single little thing the fans want. That's just not possible.

People really need to take a massive step back and remember that the games are meant to be enjoyed for WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER. It's not always about the old-and-familiar, as that's not the purpose of a new game. It's about making new discoveries, learning about the new content, exploring the games to their fullest, learning on the fly, and most of all, enjoying them for what they offer. Really, is that so hard to understand? No National Dex is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!! Sheesh, everyone, just cool your jets, take a step back, and appreciate what GF has put into these games before you start exploding like irate Electrodes over stuff that isn't in the games. The games are meant to be enjoyed for what they have to offer on their own, as that's their whole purpose. It's not about catering to every single whim and want that the fans have, it's about enjoying the games for what they already have to offer. The games are not even out yet and people are erupting like volcanoes because the games don't have one specific thing they want in it.

When these games come out, I will play them, not for the old stuff, but for the new stuff, so I can see what they have to offer and enjoy it as much as possible without complaining that a certain Mon I like isn't in them. That's one reason why I liked BW so much, as it allowed me to enjoy all the new content to the fullest without anything old bogging them down. To me, this is the same thing, and people really need to take a moment to simmer down and look at the big picture. People are entitled to their own opinions, as I'm indulging in that right now, but when it gets to the point that people are threatening the creators, signing petitions, and showing such childish outrage over minor stuff is going too far. Everyone, please, take a step back, cool your heads, and appreciate what the games are going to offer. Sure, you can't transfer EVERY Mon over, but so what? Is it really THAT important to have certain Mons on hand that you're willing to trash the games before they even come out? Does it really eclipse everything else that you feel the games (and the franchise) are ruined because of things like this? If so, then I suggest you quit the franchise here and now and never return, because you're clearly forgetting about what's important. It's not about the old, it's about the new, and the new should get center focus over everything else. And, most of all, it's ENJOYING the games as they are.

So what if you can't transfer EVERY old Mon into it, as they're NOT supposed to be the focus here. It's about the new Mons, the new characters, the new story, the new gameplay, the new region, just everything that is new. The old stuff really needs to step over to the side for once and allow the games, region, and characters to shine on their own. That's where XY and SM/USUM fell flat on, as the old overshadowed the new. Well, now it's time for people to stop complaining that the old isn't the focus and instead lock onto the new stuff that is going to take place in these games. Take a step forward for once and see what the games have to offer BEFORE complaining. The games haven't even come out yet, and people are going as far as petitions that GF aren't going to listen to anyway so they, the fans, can have every single little thing they want to satisfy their selfish attitudes. Face it, the games are coming out with what they've been planned to have whether you like it or not. My suggestion is this: pick up the games and play them as they are. Learn to enjoy them for what they have and not have a meltdown over the stuff they don't have. That's the whole point of a new game: to enjoy it for what it has, not what it doesn't have, as well as enjoy the new stuff instead of focusing solely on the old stuff. I get people are upset, really, I do, but it's going beyond sensible reason at this point. I'm complaining right now, too, and I apologize for it, but this is getting out of hand and I can't stay quiet while the world is self-destructing over very specific things that aren't in a soon-to-be released new game. Have our communities really gotten this toxic to the point no one is willing to simply enjoy the games for what they have to offer anymore? Is this what we've been reduced to? Everyone needs to step back, cool your heads, and look at the big picture. No matter how you slice it, the games will come out as planned with the content they're going to have as planned, and they will be purchased without fail. The best thing to do in this situation is enjoy the games for what they have, not what they don't have. That goes for Home, too, as it doesn't sound like it'll be just Bank 2.0. So, everyone, please, take a moment to cool your heads, take a good, long look at what the games have to offer, and just simply enjoy them for that. You're entitled to your own opinions, that's fine, but don't overblow it like the universe is about to implode. Act rationally, think logically, and save all final judgments until the games themselves have come out. That's all I will say now, as I think I've said enough.

There's not enough new content, though. We're still using the same archaic battle system, with the same archaic collect the badges plot, with the same lazy "Look we just took a map of England and renamed it Galar" world that offers no surprises because it's just the real world with some Pokemon slapped onto it.

If they ever revamped the battle system, or set the games in a totally original world instead of a place GameFreak artists want to go on vacation to, or did away with the Badge narrative entirely and had a plot with actual stakes then there'd be new stuff.

Instead this is leftovers. And it's leftovers where half of the stuff we like has been thrown away.

* If the focus was on new Pokemon, we'd have been shown more like we got in Black and White's marketing.

* If the focus was on new human characters they'd have interesting personalities instead of wanting to win a trophy.

* If the focus was on new gameplay it wouldn't be the same gameplay from a 20 year old game.

* If the focus was on the world, it wouldn't be England with a Pikachu taped next to the Big Ben.

* If the focus was on story it wouldn't be about collecting badges in a slightly different region for the 8th time.

We put up with the laziness in the franchise because our favorite characters, the Pokemon, came back for every game.

Now there's nothing to come back for.

There's nothing new here. If a second Sheep Pokemon is what it takes to impress you, good for you. But now that Pokemon doesn't have the excuse "We can't change things up too much because we have to accomodate 800 pre-existing characters", there's no excuse for the franchise's laziness.

We're still using the same archaic battle system....
So is Dragon Quest. Or Mario Kart. Or Tetris.

While I absolutely agree with you that the new content is what's more important, the fact is....Sword/Shield doesn't offer enough new stuff to interest me. It just doesn't.
With the small caveat that this is based on early impressions of incomplete information. Still, early impressions are certainly powerful, sometimes even prophetic.

I can agree that there are areas where Game Freak's internal Pokemon game engine design isn't necessarily well optimized. But the simple fact is that continuing to support old Pokemon in every main game is an ultimately unsustainable affair. It's not much different from everyone wanting more characters in Smash Bros. (We did get that this time around, sure, but it probably won't happen again.)

There's not enough new content, though. We're still using the same archaic battle system, with the same archaic collect the badges plot, with the same lazy "Look we just took a map of England and renamed it Galar" world that offers no surprises because it's just the real world with some Pokemon slapped onto it.

If they ever revamped the battle system, or set the games in a totally original world instead of a place GameFreak artists want to go on vacation to, or did away with the Badge narrative entirely and had a plot with actual stakes then there'd be new stuff.

Instead this is leftovers. And it's leftovers where half of the stuff we like has been thrown away.

* If the focus was on new Pokemon, we'd have been shown more like we got in Black and White's marketing.

* If the focus was on new human characters they'd have interesting personalities instead of wanting to win a trophy.

* If the focus was on new gameplay it wouldn't be the same gameplay from a 20 year old game.

* If the focus was on the world, it wouldn't be England with a Pikachu taped next to the Big Ben.

We put up with the laziness in the franchise because our favorite characters, the Pokemon, came back for every game.

Now there's nothing to come back for.

There's nothing new here. If a second Sheep Pokemon is what it takes to impress you, good for you. But now that Pokemon doesn't have the excuse "We can't change things up too much because we have to accomodate 800 pre-existing characters", there's no excuse for the franchise's laziness.

Then if that's how you feel, then I suggest leaving the community and not looking back, as we don't know the full content of the games just yet. What we've seen so far has shown that these games DO have plenty stuff to offer, and the stuff they have to offer is, in fact, rather good. If using the same battling style over and over and having certain character mentalities was considered a bad thing, then the 40 year franchise known as Dragon Quest would've been dead years ago, and yet they released the 11th mainstream game to critical acclaim, and they recently revealed that the Heroes from Dragon Quest 3, 4, 8, and 11 would be in Smash. They have stuck to the same mentality for years, and they're still doing fine, so Pokemon has been sticking to their guns in terms of the battling, catching, and, the fact is, it works. The games ARE offering new stuff, much of which we don't know just yet, so that means there is still more to discover. But, if you feel there is nothing left to come back for simply because you can't use a certain Mon or the fact that it's core mentality has stayed the same, then hang up your Poke Balls and not look back, because if that's how you feel, then you shouldn't even bother with anything involving Pokemon anymore. I was planning on hanging up my Poke Balls due to the switch to the Switch, and yet here I sit, awaiting the new games with my new Switch. Why? Because, as a fan, I want to see what's next.

To start, we know very little about the characters in the games, just little tidbits about them. That means they could still show sides of them that we don't know. What's saying that Leon isn't a b**** in sheep's clothing, using his public status to hide possible wrongdoings? Conversely, what's saying Leon is just a unwitting pawn like N to a more sinister force that he's unaware he's helping? We don't know that. What about Hop? Is he really just an energetic kid who wants to be the champ? Or does he actually, deep down, want to prove his skill and get out of his older brother's shadow? We just know small bits about the characters right now and that's it. That means anything is possible for those characters to flesh them out. Just because Leon's the "champion" means very little outside of it being a title, and just because Hop is a "rival" means just as little at face value.

Look at Lillie from last gen. They simply called her a "mysterious assistant" upon reveal and that's it. Sure, it rang a few bells that she'd be important, but her importance ended up being quite high, her character was very well fleshed-out, and it helped create one of the bigger plots that Pokemon has ever had. And all we knew of her before the games came out was that she was "mysterious". Simply put, we know little about the characters, so they could be exceptionally great. Or they could fall flat like XY's rivals. We simply don't know yet, and that's one reason to give the games a chance without fussing over stuff that isn't in the games. Unless, of course, you've already played and beaten the games, thus know everything about them right now to support your argument.

As for the region itself, it may be Britain/Scotland flipped upside-down, but it's still a new location that Pokemon hasn't explored yet. Tell me, have we ever had a place like the Wild Area before? I don't think so. Just because it's a real-life area that been Poke-fied doesn't dismiss the fact that it's a new region. Would it make you happier if they did a region based off of another fantasy series, like a region based off of, say, Fastoon from Ratchet & Clank, instead of a region based off of a real-like area? You have to realize that Pokemon takes real-life areas and puts them to work in their universe. So what if Galar is Britain/Scotland turned on its head? It's still a new region, which means it could still hold new things. The Wild Area alone is a brand new thing for Pokemon, let alone the fact it has no level cap, can have very, very diverse weather (the new thunderstorms, for example, use both Rain and Electric Terrain, something that hasn't been done before), and also promote more interactive player connection outside of just battling and trading. That's all new stuff, not "leftovers" as you call it.

Moving on, "To be a Master" may be a cut-and-paste goal for the franchise, but, the fact is, it works. Like my Dragon Quest example, if a hero going out to save a world, as cliche as it is, still sells games, then it works. And yet, there is still stuff we don't know. And while, sadly, we'll never get a game like BW again, were the old is completely cut for the new (much to my joy), there is, in fact, still new stuff in the games, despite still having some old stuff. Yes, the formula hasn't changed much, but like I said with Dragon Quest, if it still sells, then it does what it needs to. So, how can you call it "leftovers" when you haven't even played them yet? Yes, the formula is the same, yes, they trimmed some of the fat to streamline the games, yes, the region is Britain/Scotland upside-down, but the fact remains: it does it's job to sell. So, calling it "leftovers" is a bit harsh when you haven't even played the game yourself. My suggestion is this: play the game and reserve final judgment then. But, if you feel that the only "good" stuff is the old-and-familiar and are not willing to give the games a chance, fine, that's your call, I won't force you to buy them. But, the fact is, the games are not even out yet, we know only tidbits of the characters and region itself, and we don't know just how big/small the Dex will be, and yet everyone is acting like it's the end of the universe because you can't use some old Mons. That's what I find so puzzling that the fandom is THAT obsessed over what's familiar to them and not willing give the games a chance because they lack SOME content. I'm still willing to give these games a chance and see for myself if they can provide enough to make them worth the $60 price tag. You can complain all you want about not having everything in them, I'll still buy them for what they do have, and not focus on what it doesn't have. That's should do for now.

Oh yes: One of the biggest new features of Sword/Shield will be the seamless "Wild Area", promising to be the closest to an open-world Pokemon game we've ever gotten. Go look at an assembled route map of Kanto and how much of that map poster did we actually get to set foot on, maybe 10%? Then look at maps like in Witcher 3 or Legend of Zelda (NES) where it's literally 100% traversible, it's not even a comparison.

It's kind of weird to rename the area outside of cities the "wild area" just so they can show off what other games have already done. They had names before: they were routes. They just fenced off everything with barriers and I doubt this is any different.

Then if that's how you feel, then I suggest leaving the community and not looking back, as we don't know the full content of the games just yet.

I'll be doing that just as soon as we get more details on Home, which unfortunately is going to take a year.

To start, we know very little about the characters in the games, just little tidbits about them. That means they could still show sides of them that we don't know. What's saying that Leon isn't a b**** in sheep's clothing, using his public status to hide possible wrongdoings? Conversely, what's saying Leon is just a unwitting pawn like N to a more sinister force that he's unaware he's helping? We don't know that. What about Hop? Is he really just an energetic kid who wants to be the champ? Or does he actually, deep down, want to prove his skill and get out of his older brother's shadow? We just know small bits about the characters right now and that's it. That means anything is possible for those characters to flesh them out. Just because Leon's the "champion" means very little outside of it being a title, and just because Hop is a "rival" means just as little at face value.

Look at Lillie from last gen. They simply called her a "mysterious assistant" upon reveal and that's it. Sure, it rang a few bells that she'd be important, but her importance ended up being quite high, her character was very well fleshed-out, and it helped create one of the bigger plots that Pokemon has ever had. And all we knew of her before the games came out was that she was "mysterious". Simply put, we know little about the characters, so they could be exceptionally great. Or they could fall flat like XY's rivals. We simply don't know yet, and that's one reason to give the games a chance without fussing over stuff that isn't in the games. Unless, of course, you've already played and beaten the games, thus know everything about them right now to support your argument.

They're still mostly a collection of sport anime tropes. I'm not fan of sports anime and the fact that Pokemon keeps on doubling down on those tropes is really annoying. And it's usually the same set in every game - hero who wants to get a trophy. Incompetent but friendly rival who wants the same trophy. Girl who doesn't like to battle but likes Pokemon. The celebrity Champion. Etc. etc.

There was a sense of mystery and menace in the Gen 1 narrative that unfortunately has been destroyed as the narrative has removed all of the danger for the protagonist. Remember when Team Rocket fucking murdered a Pokemon? Yeah, I do. It made them threatening. I can't think of a single other evil team that has managed to give a character, Pokemon or human, anything more than a boo-boo that is taken care of with a band-aid and a kiss from mommy. I may hate the Gen 1 Pokemon designs, but the story took risks that only Gen 5 ever managed to even attempt slightly to match.

And now our evil Team is slightly rowdy sports fans who need to be told to cheer a little quieter. Cripes, people. I understand the game are marketed towards children, but as I've said before - prior to Pokemon XY the "children" in question were the ages of 9-13, not the ages of 4-8.

Tell me, have we ever had a place like the Wild Area before?
Yes, in many, many, many other franchises.

The problem is that other games have done it first and much better. The thing that allowed for Pokemon to only keep up to trends 10 years after every other JRPG series is that the 800 character roster made the game unique. Now that's gone.

Pokemon had a monopoly on being the only video game franchise that keep all its most important interactive content going forward.

Now that it doesn't, it's just another JRPG with some collection aspects, which are a dime a dozen - and goes into even more direct competition for money and attention than ever before. And what we've seen so far with Sword and Shield are "innovations" that every other JRPG franchise was doing in the PS2 era.

Moving on, "To be a Master" may be a cut-and-paste goal for the franchise, but, the fact is, it works. Like my Dragon Quest example, if a hero going out to save a world, as cliche as it is, still sells games, then it works. And yet, there is still stuff we don't know. And while, sadly, we'll never get a game like BW again, were the old is completely cut for the new (much to my joy), there is, in fact, still new stuff in the games, despite still having some old stuff. Yes, the formula hasn't changed much, but like I said with Dragon Quest, if it still sells, then it does what it needs to. So, how can you call it "leftovers" when you haven't even played them yet? Yes, the formula is the same, yes, they trimmed some of the fat to streamline the games, yes, the region is Britain/Scotland upside-down, but the fact remains: it does it's job to sell.

There are storyline actual stakes in Dragon Quest because people can and do die. The in universe stakes in a Pokemon game usually boil down into "if I loose this battle, my Pokemon will be stolen" at best. At worst it's "if I loose this battle I might not get the trophy and will have to wait a year". I fail to see the excitement in either from a narrative perspective. I'm not saying Pokemon has to be a grimdark bloodbath, but the story should possibly move away from "little boy wants trophy" and do literally ANYTHING FREAKING ELSE.

It's like the narrative from some bizarro world where Disney's Mighty Ducks or the Bad News Bears went on for 20 years of movies.

So, calling it "leftovers" is a bit harsh when you haven't even played the game yourself. My suggestion is this: play the game and reserve final judgment then. But, if you feel that the only "good" stuff is the old-and-familiar and are not willing to give the games a chance, fine, that's your call, I won't force you to buy them. But, the fact is, the games are not even out yet, we know only tidbits of the characters and region itself, and we don't know just how big/small the Dex will be, and yet everyone is acting like it's the end of the universe because you can't use some old Mons. That's what I find so puzzling that the fandom is THAT obsessed over what's familiar to them and not willing give the games a chance because they lack SOME content. I'm still willing to give these games a chance and see for myself if they can provide enough to make them worth the $60 price tag. You can complain all you want about not having everything in them, I'll still buy them for what they do have, and not focus on what it doesn't have. That's should do for now.

This is the straw that broke the camel's back for most people. Pokemon is VASTLY INFERIOR narratively, in world design, in graphical design, and in basically every metric you can measure to every other JRPG and WRPG. The selling point is the large roster of Pokemon. Without that, it's not just another JRPG series - it's sadly an extremely sub-par JRPG series. Just comparing screenshots of Dragon Quest 11 to Pokemon 8 on the same hardware is a sobering sight and tells you exactly which one has more expertise, love, and polish put into it.

Oh yes: One of the biggest new features of Sword/Shield will be the seamless "Wild Area", promising to be the closest to an open-world Pokemon game we've ever gotten. Go look at an assembled route map of Kanto and how much of that map poster did we actually get to set foot on, maybe 10%? Then look at maps like in Witcher 3 or Legend of Zelda (NES) where it's literally 100% traversible, it's not even a comparison.
We haven't seen anywhere the level of interactivity in the Wild Area that we get in the Witcher, much less Legend of Zelda. The Wild Area is basically a big thing of grass that you can ride a bike into. Visually, it looks different for Pokemon, but I haven't seen any screenshots of the main character riding on Pokemon in the water or gliding through the air on the back of a Pokemon or climbing a surface. In terms of interactivity, it seems to be just a large hallway. A prettier hallway than we've gotten before in Pokemon, but a free camera and seeing enemies on the map does not an innovation make.

Before bringing up Dragon Quest, I'd suggest to actually play some games in that series or at least do some research. Yes the battle systems are for the most part identical, but there HAVE been innovations between games.

I've only played two games in that series so far. But I can say that DQ 7 had class/job changes, while DQ 8 had the feature for characters to "Psych Up" as well as level up individual skills. Point is, the DQ games' gameplay has relatively been the same but it still had changes to keep it fresh.

Pokemon's battle system isn't the problem here anyway. The problem is that GF doesn't do enough with the features they introduce. I watched the trailer video of Dynamax Pokemon, and all I saw were giant Totem battles that were....really no different from ordinary battles. Like big whoop, my Pokemon becomes giant? Yay? I feel like GF could have done something better but they got lazy with it. And since all it is is just Mega Pokemon and Totem battles combined, I'd rather just have them in the game separately.

The reason Black and White had such an engaging story was that the Evil Team Plot - who ACTUALLY HAD GREAT MOTIVATIONS TO THE POINT WHERE YOU COULD SIDE WITH THEM - ate the badge plot, stomped on it, and threw it away so that an ACTUAL STORY could take place.

I was hoping that was going to be the trend. Or even a signal that GameFreak knew the "Collectz teh Badgez" story was dead and this was their farewell to it.

And then . . . well, you people know the rest. : /

I mean who knows - maybe there's only 3 Gym Leaders in Pokemon Sword and then there's a plot twist halfway through the story for REAL conflict to take place? I freaking doubt it, though, given that the last two games have stuck steadfastly to "Collectz teh Badgez" (oh but they're not Badges in Alola it's a trial we changed the name give us credit lol).

Then if that's how you feel, then I suggest leaving the community and not looking back, as we don't know the full content of the games just yet. What we've seen so far has shown that these games DO have plenty stuff to offer, and the stuff they have to offer is, in fact, rather good. If using the same battling style over and over and having certain character mentalities was considered a bad thing, then the 40 year franchise known as Dragon Quest would've been dead years ago, and yet they released the 11th mainstream game to critical acclaim, and they recently revealed that the Heroes from Dragon Quest 3, 4, 8, and 11 would be in Smash. They have stuck to the same mentality for years, and they're still doing fine, so Pokemon has been sticking to their guns in terms of the battling, catching, and, the fact is, it works. The games ARE offering new stuff, much of which we don't know just yet, so that means there is still more to discover. But, if you feel there is nothing left to come back for simply because you can't use a certain Mon or the fact that it's core mentality has stayed the same, then hang up your Poke Balls and not look back, because if that's how you feel, then you shouldn't even bother with anything involving Pokemon anymore. I was planning on hanging up my Poke Balls due to the switch to the Switch, and yet here I sit, awaiting the new games with my new Switch. Why? Because, as a fan, I want to see what's next.

While I appreciate the sentiment that we should focus more on the positives than the negatives, I think this is misrepresenting the situation. The new features seen in Sword and Shield like the Wild Area and Dynamaxing do look somewhat interesting– but hardcore fans don't play for the new features or the latest battle novelty or to see the latest flashy animations or to experience a great storyline (in Pokemon? Don't make me laugh) or for the new characters.

Hardcore Pokemon fans play the Pokemon games to collect, battle, and trade Pokemon.

Removing 300+ Pokemon from the roster in Sword/Shield is to remove the central aspect of what we're even here for.

The only thing left are the other features which are either gimmicks that won't stick around long term anyway (Dynamaxing) so who cares, or stuff like the Wild Area, which as others have pointed out, are concepts that other franchises have already done ten times better (and I suspect probably won't remain permanent fixtures going forward either, if I'm honest).

In other words, once they start removing Pokemon from Pokemon, the franchise doesn't have much left worth sticking around for– as critics have pointed out for decades now, the Pokemon games are formulaic and lack true innovation and worthwhile features, but hardcore fans are addicted to it like a drug anyway 'cause ya gotta catch 'em all.

Last edited:
Not to mention that telling the critics to leave is only going to negatively impact the series. Cause the fewer people there are, the less Pokemon is going to sell.

But you know what, maybe that should happen. Since companies only listen when people talk with their wallets. And maybe only then they will finally get the message.

The reason Black and White had such an engaging story was that the Evil Team Plot - who ACTUALLY HAD GREAT MOTIVATIONS TO THE POINT WHERE YOU COULD SIDE WITH THEM - ate the badge plot, stomped on it, and threw it away so that an ACTUAL STORY could take place.

I was hoping that was going to be the trend. Or even a signal that GameFreak knew the "Collectz teh Badgez" story was dead and this was their farewell to it.

And then . . . well, you people know the rest. : /

I mean who knows - maybe there's only 3 Gym Leaders in Pokemon Sword and then there's a plot twist halfway through the story for REAL conflict to take place? I freaking doubt it, though, given that the last two games have stuck steadfastly to "Collectz teh Badgez" (oh but they're not Badges in Alola it's a trial we changed the name give us credit lol).
Trials were pretty much the same as gyms and yet people went INSANE without them. So even if they try to take risks creatively, the fanbase won't allow them...

Game Freak, in general, has an issue with removing content rather than refining them. We just never thought it would happen to the Pokemon.

As much as the wild area is just bringing Pokemon up to par with other JRPGs that's actually a nice progression of how they took an old feature (having Pokemon available along routes) and updated them. Instead, Game Freak decides to scrap every feature it has outside of the core ones but now they've even given up on that.

Trials were pretty much the same as gyms and yet people went INSANE without them. So even if they try to take risks creatively, the fanbase won't allow them...

Well I mean they marketed them as hugely different from Gyms but they were really just Gyms with a different name, a minigame (for some of them) and one fat Pokemon instead of Gym Leader with 2-5 Pokemon.

" Act rationally, think logically, and save all final judgments until the games themselves have come out. "

My logic and reason tell me that the people who charged fiddy bucks a Mew a year ago aren't paragons of benevolence. Depending on what comes next, and how fast bank is closed I'm thinking about dropping out of being current on the series altogether. "What you see is what get" has been my motto lately when comes to this sort of thing.

This pretty much says it all at this point very succinctly:

FCQwRnj.gif

No, seriously. This third version crap needs to stop.

You are on the Switch now, Game Freak. It's about time the initial pairs like SwSh start having enough content to not require a third version later on.

Just don't release a game until you consider it third-version-tier-complete.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom