• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

People are really focusing too much on the sales of the games...

Pokemon is a franchise, it's income is more than just the core rpg's, even though that is still a relevant portion of it's revenue. Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee have sold nearly 11 million copies and they have only been on the market for about 7 months now. Combined, they are the 5th best selling Nintendo Switch games.

Since we're talking about sales now, I thought I would try looking for sales numbers with each major Pokemon game. I found this on Reddit, though I have no idea how accurate it is. (This was posted a year ago.)

It's not surprising that sales dropped significantly after Gen 2 (I'm surprised by how little Crystal sold though), What is interesting though is the gradual dips beginning with XY. I'm curious where Sw/Sh will end up being after several years on the market.

That graphic is a year old, and at the time USUM had only been on the market for about 6-7 months. USUM have sold 8.3 million copies worldwide. Pokemon Sun and Moon have sold about as many copies as Pokemon XY sold, so I don't think that there is any "decline" in sales - Sun and Moon sold considerably well when you take into account that SM were the second generation of Pokemon games on the 3DS. Sun/Moon sales are at about 16 million worldwide, same for XY, and Nintendo 3DS sales worldwide are 75-78 million depending on where you course that information at; whereas the Nintendo DS sold 150 million units worldwide and DP sold 18 million. The DS had a larger install base, yet DP only managed to sell 2 million more than XY/SM.

In conclusion, I think there is room for SwSh to do well, I think the fact that the Switch is playing the role of being both a handheld console, and a "standard" console may bring in more fans because it's no longer limited to handheld. I know I sound overly optimistic, and I'm not defending SwSh to make it out to be a good game, just the odds of the game selling well are really in its favor.

Combined, they are the 5th best selling Nintendo Switch games.
This is super biased right now, but to be fair, what else is there on Switch to play that's not also on other platforms and doesn't require Switch Online/friends to play with to actually be entertaining on the full level? (Mario Kart or Smash against AI is only fun for so long, and not that worth it for offline play only)
You're free to correct me here (I'm actually asking for it tbh) but I got a Switch lately and I have this problem that I really can't find too many really interesting games. The ones that are interesting, I already have on PS4 or Steam, and why would I buy them again?

If you have a Switch, and it's not your only platform to play games, and you need games I feel like it's kinda obvious to grab Let's Go. Is just things from my perspective, though; and I'm assuming most households who have a Switch also have another platform to play games on because, let's be fair, Switch was very late to the party compared to PS4 or X-Box One.

In conclusion, I think there is room for SwSh to do well, I think the fact that the Switch is playing the role of being both a handheld console, and a "standard" console may bring in more fans because it's no longer limited to handheld. I know I sound overly optimistic, and I'm not defending SwSh to make it out to be a good game, just the odds of the game selling well are really in its favor.
Mostly agreed with that, although I'm just a bit salty that handhelds get absolutely underappreciated.

I have not, and will not, ever purchase a copy of the Pokemon Let's Go games.
Didn't either, I won Let's Go Pikachu in a giveaway and played until Brock and haven't felt like picking it back up either. Might just end up selling it eventually. I let my 14yo sis play it (and went co-op for her) so I saw everything there is, and still don't feel like picking it up again. She and I both agreed that most of the fun came of giving her Pokémon weird names and laughing about that kinda stuff, not really the game itself.

But I do know people who picked up a Let's Go game for the starter's cuteness, saw a lot of people say that the starter should have that kind of role in every Pokémon game (please don't) and a good portion really said they picked it up because, well, they have a Switch, are pretty much done with BOTW, so why not try Pokémon?

rather they can say that this species never was in Galar or will travel to it because Dynamax energy causes it to get sick...
They will put them in next games probably when they find out a better and shorter way to pack that data from the 3DF models and bigger data storage... They created a large Harry Potter and Game of Thrones beautiful land with the Power of Thanos snap, be happy that they made it this year and stop crying... they will find a way to make it all work together in future.

also who needs them all in one game? if they can make gen 8 next game with seperate in every game? colerate with gen 9 to adjust that? and so on?

Unless they are only saying this now as some sort of a reaction to Brexit, they better find a way to eventually bring back all of the other pokemon at some point. Every other Switch game is going all out. If there was ever a time to have all pokemon available in one game it would be now and yet they're clowning around like this?

The theme is also the strongest pokemon of them all and yet they decide to not make every pokemon usable in the game? at least make it make sense!

Seems like the people who supported LGPE enabled gamefreak into putting out mediocrity.

This pretty much says it all at this point very succinctly:

FCQwRnj.gif
Okay, stop. Remember the days when monsters were just static graphics and didn't actually have animations? FF1 through FF6, Pokemon through Gen 5, etc. You got to see some kind of visual effect onscreen, but it was otherwise left to your imagination how the monster would actually move/animate when performing the attack.

Game Freak's major animation problem is simply the sheer number of attack animation scripts combined with the sheer number of creatures on the roster that could perform them (particularly when Metronome/etc. get involved), as contrast to appearances in Smash Bros. and Pokken where the user's moveset is fixed (so everything CAN be animated explicitly). The workload increases with every subsequent generation, and while it's obvious that some Pokemon just don't have the right animation for a specific script, not every attack is a problem. Braixen's "special attack" animation was a good match for things like Ember and Flamethrower in XY, while Delphox had an animation specific to Mystical Fire that differed from the usual (as did several other Pokemon with exclusive moves). There are great attack animations and bad attack animations (multihit moves being notorious for the latter, non-signature Z-moves were problems too), but most actual examples fall somewhere in the middle.

In any case, better attack animations ultimately just boil down to giving each Pokemon species a more comprehensive repertoire of animations for the attack scripts to draw from. Unfortunately, this is also a workload that increases with each new generation (or at minimum, is proportional to the # Pokemon appearing in each game).

Game Freak w as unable to animate 151 Pokemon sprites due to hardware limitations back in the days of the Game Boy. To get around this, they left the sprites completely immobile and animated the attacks instead. It was kind of a brilliant solution at the time. However, time moved on; technology improved, and Game Freak's approach...did not.

They kept adding new Pokemon and adding new moves while using the same tactic they did in Gen I for over 20 years.

Honestly, I would have been fine if in, say, Gens IV or V, they revamped the whole system and stripped down the number of attacks to something more manageable if it meant giving each individual Pokemon animation. That's just me tho. I don't really see why we need both Scratch and Tackle, or Leer and Tail Whip.

Sugimori said right after XY's release that the games should be streamlined in terms of moves, items and abilities. He didn't mention Pokemon.
Speaking of items, evolutionary items should definitely be streamlined.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but we don’t really need the Moss and Ice Rocks anymore. As of Gen VII, they can just have Leafeon evolve with a Leaf Stone and Glaceon with an Ice Stone. Hell, they can use the Shiny Stone for Sylveon and not make it dependent on Amie/Refresh. This way, they don’t have to go out of their way to include entire mechanics just for the benefit of one or two Pokémon and can instead shift their attention to other things.

Similarly, why are the Sachet and the Whipped Dream still a thing? They never needed to be a thing. And why not just remove the Razor Claw/Fang and just have Gligar and Sneasel evolve by level up? Is it a retcon? Yes. Is it a problem? No. Not for me, anyway. The continuity of Pokémon evolution is pretty far down my list of priorities when it comes to these games.

Not to mention every digimon in cyber sleuth/hacker's memory only had 1-2 unique moves with unique animations. That's around 330 digimon (as of hacker's memory, which is also my favorite video game of all time) and if I recall correctly all the other moves had repeating animations used for almost all the other moves. For example, almost all status moves look exactly or almost exactly the same and same goes for damaging moves. That's far fewer move animations than pokemon has to deal with, (around 730 as of USUM I believe, and there will absolutely be many more added in SwSh, probably reaching at least 800) even if the signature unique digimon moves are very impressive looking. I don't think it can really even be compared.

The amount of employees on both development teams are comparable but the team for CS did not make 700+ impressive unique animations nor different move animations for each pokemon by any means and most of the move animations outside of the unique ones are very very simple.

Gamefreak also has more of a schedule with fans who don't like to wait and anime that needs to be wrapped up. Digimon games can come out whenever without much backlash.

It really seems like comparing a forest to a grove.

Last edited:
Of course, Game Freak choose to be small. Media.Vision's profits are nothing special, so they make do.

I think that the next Digimon Story entry will have more monsters than SwSh. The director said that he wanted to add quite a few, including obscure ones.

Of course, Game Freak choose to be small. Media.Vision's profits are nothing special, so they make do.
I could go on and on about how much I love Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory but I'd be going so off topic :bulbaLove:
If the next digimon story game has obscure digimon I'm hoping for Fangmon and Tobucatmon

But slightly back on topic I definitely wouldn't mind move animations like that for some moves, like the legendary's signature moves assuming they have them. I don't really expect it though.

really all they have to do to solve the animation issue is put in a hack check for offline play as well. that's what PBR did. if you try to put in an illegal pokemon, you get a bad egg. you can still hack in a 'legitimate' pokemon, but any pokemon with illegal movesets or wonky data is made into a bad egg. the animation work doesn't go away per se, but then you don't have to make edge case animations or have to worry about them.

The harsh reality is that Pokemon is a multimedia franchise. The game, the anime, merch, and card game all have to be released within a certain window and companies involved have projected earnings to consider. Delaying the game to 2020 would probably have a seriously negative effect on their finances so in their eyes that wasn't an option. The devs likely had their hands tied because there was no way to finish all of the new animations in time. On top of that, the new animations were probably a demand from upper management as well.

It really sucks but all we can do now is hope that they'll be added at a future date.

Sugimori said right after XY's release that the games should be streamlined in terms of moves, items and abilities. He didn't mention Pokemon.
Definitely. There's a lot of abilities that basically do the same thing but are listed differently because they have different names. That, and there's probably moves that almost nobody uses. They could use some trimming.

The harsh reality is that Pokemon is a multimedia franchise. The game, the anime, merch, and card game all have to be released within a certain window and companies involved have projected earnings to consider. Delaying the game to 2020 would probably have a seriously negative effect on their finances so in their eyes that wasn't an option. The devs likely had their hands tied because there was no way to finish all of the new animations in time. On top of that, the new animations were probably a demand from upper management as well.

It really sucks but all we can do now is hope that they'll be added at a future date.
Which would be fine. The problem is that they’re not planning on adding them at all. The new company policy is to never have the complete Nat Dex in a single game ever again. That’s what’s pissing people off.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom