• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

I feel like this whole controversy will be remembered in later years as an allegory for why graphics are not the most important things in games. Not that SwSh had particularly great graphical fidelity anyway.
Can you imagine if they decided to go with Detective Pikachu graphics and thus could only include the 60 or so Pokemon in that movie? That totally seems like a Masuda move.

I feel like this whole controversy will be remembered in later years as an allegory for why graphics are not the most important things in games. Not that SwSh had particularly great graphical fidelity anyway.

I actually defended their graphical limitations before, and stressed that it wasn't a main staple of the series as it is one coming off of handhelds. That was... until e3, and really even I cannot defend that aspect anymore. We know damn well what the Switch is capable of at this point, and it certainly can handle far more than what almost looks like a PS2 era showcasing.

It's funny that the graphics were brought up, bc if Pokemon looked and performed like Breath of the Wild:

Related image

mq3srte270531.jpg

In order for these games to reach their fullest potential, we've had to make some... hard decisions. For a long time now, we wanted to bring the highest possible experience to truly immerse you in the wonderful world of Pokemon. But, this has come at the cost of the quantity of things that were overburdening this possibility. We've reworked, and had to stream down items within the series, and moves that were redundant, but this sadly was not enough. We believe in this experience to obtain the highest quality possible that we believe you, our fans who have graciously supported us over the years, revisiting this world to capture, raise, and battle alongside your partners that you've grown attached to. Temporarily, the National Dex and the possibility for obtaining every single Pokemon within the game will need to be abandoned. We are working around this, so that in the future, you can reunite with your Pokemon in a brand new world of possibility. Please understand. We could have kept it at the cost of rushing the game and burning our assets, but a wise man once said: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." In order to achieve the vision we believe these games deserve, we can only support a certain number of Pokemon that fit within the advent of adventure.

Had this actually happened, then I probably would have been alright with a culling of the Dex, and hell I'd wager a good majority of the fanbase would have as well. Granted, it's not just the graphical measure or style of BOTW I'm praising here, but also the presentation and overall depth. I'd give almost anything for a Pokedex version of the Sheikah Slate. You'd be getting an amazing open world adventure, an great story that you can do at your own pace, and Pokemon Snap all wrapped up into one. You could document Pokemon and study them in the field with as much satisfaction as Prof. Oak or Birch would. Tame(?) and ride more docile nature Pokemon, while needing to battle and weaken less mild nature ones or species. Given the level of lifelike animation that would need to take place, coding that many Pokemon would logically become unfeasible until the future, or they would feature in their own separate adventures with the same level of detail given.

But sadly, I do not live within that wonderful reality. In handsight, Pokemon would have been better off going 2.5 2D/3D graphics like what @Silktree posted some pages back, during Gen 6. Kalos would probably had been better handled and appeared more alive and less barren, keeping a little of the 2D look would have also kept some charm for the Pokemon.

Perhaps that solution is better for those coughGameFreakcough who have coding troubles, Arceus knows not everyone is a computer wizard.

Honestly, BotW's massive overworld and open world format was not something I particularly enjoyed. So I would rather that Pokemon not go the same route. Or at least not quite to the same extent that BotW and other massive, open world games did. Especially if said overworld is relatively empty. Unless a world actually has a lot of substance to it, it becomes boring no matter how big or pretty it is. And I certainly felt that way with BotW (though to be fair, it did it a lot better than FF XV or No Man's Sky.)

Not sure of this is posted, but don't count on " everyone is here " for the future. From Masuda:

Pokemon Bank has, up to this point, allowed you to transfer up Pokemon that were not in the Alola Dex. As we've begun developing for the Nintendo Switch, we've given each individual Pokemon an incredible number of expressions. We've discussed internally, at length, about how to raise the quality standard [I assume of animations/interactions] of each of the (in terms of Pokedex number) over 800 Pokemon and maintain combat balance, all within the limited amount of time we have to deliver this brand-new game to you guys. As a result, starting with this game, we've decided to change our product direction. Basically, we've decided that the Pokemon that can be transferred between Pokemon Home and Sw/Sh will be limited to just Galar Dex Pokemon. We'll choose Pokemon that best match the setting of the game's various adventures.

RIP National Dex

Or are you referring to its aesthetics?
Aesthetics, sure. But I am also referring to the effort put into it. Masuda gave the excuse that they cut out Pokemon so there would be more fidelity with the animations and overall quality. But then you see from footage that everything from the graphics and simple animations are still the same as before, just now in HD.

If they had just left it at "There's too many Pokemon and we're on crunch time", then maybe more people would be a little more forgiving. But no, they tried to make it about the "improved" graphics and they're not.

Aesthetics, sure. But I am also referring to the effort put into it. Masuda gave the excuse that they cut out Pokemon so there would be more fidelity with the animations and overall quality. But then you see from footage that everything from the graphics and simple animations are still the same as before, just now in HD.
Be careful. Joe Merrick might come here and angrily show you the new animations that are so easy to miss, as if they made up for anything.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia they only have 143 employees. Masuda at one point said over 100 People worked on let's go, and they are releasing Town this year.

Yeah it's no wonder they couldn't squeeze in every model in SIX FUCKING YEARS. They overextended themselves like crazy.

They can afford to hire more dudes. So hire more dudes.

Last edited:
I didn't have that many problems with the graphics until someone pointed them out, so that likely won't be a problem for me. And I like the kind-of "limited open-world" approach, since I didn't enjoy breath of the wild at all, it was way too empty for me. I still am not a fan of the pokemon limitations, especially for challenges like egglockes and such, but I kinda get it. I just hope there are many cool new mons, and they don't forget about mega evolutions completely. Maybe they are in the sinnoh remakes? A man can dream.

Rant time. Please remain seated until further notice.

I hate to say it, but people are forgetting what the whole purpose of a new Pokemon game: the NEW content. Not the old content, the new stuff. Unless it is a remake, the whole point of a new Pokemon game is to show off the new stuff, not glorify the old stuff over and over and over again. People are like, "Oh, no, I can't use Totodile in Sword/Shield, the game is ruined for me." "Pokemon is dead because I can't use old Pokemon." "I'm canceling my preorder because I can't use Blaziken." Really? Is that all everyone cares about nowadays? People are allowed to be disappointed, but going as far as things like partitions, boycotting, and who knows what else because you can't use a particular Mon is completely childish. People are entitled to their own opinions, but when it's going as far as this, then that's just entering purely a self-entitled attitude. Remember, the games are NOT about the old stuff and the old stuff alone. It's about the NEW stuff. People really need to stop complaining so much and appreciate the games for WHAT THE HAVE! Not what they DON'T have. Yes, I get it, people can get attached to their Mons, I understand that, but when that fixation eclipses everything else, then that's going too far. I, for one, am going to enjoy Sword/Shield not for the OLD content, but for the NEW stuff. The new Mons, the new region, the new story, the new characters. You get it? I'm interested in the NEW stuff, and that's what people should be focusing on instead of whining about select old things not being in the games! That's the whole point of a new Pokemon game: what's important is the NEW STUFF, not what's old. Yes, I understand, people have certain things they want, I get that, but GF CANNOT cater to every single little thing the fans want. That's just not possible.

People really need to take a massive step back and remember that the games are meant to be enjoyed for WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER. It's not always about the old-and-familiar, as that's not the purpose of a new game. It's about making new discoveries, learning about the new content, exploring the games to their fullest, learning on the fly, and most of all, enjoying them for what they offer. Really, is that so hard to understand? No National Dex is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!! Sheesh, everyone, just cool your jets, take a step back, and appreciate what GF has put into these games before you start exploding like irate Electrodes over stuff that isn't in the games. The games are meant to be enjoyed for what they have to offer on their own, as that's their whole purpose. It's not about catering to every single whim and want that the fans have, it's about enjoying the games for what they already have to offer. The games are not even out yet and people are erupting like volcanoes because the games don't have one specific thing they want in it.

When these games come out, I will play them, not for the old stuff, but for the new stuff, so I can see what they have to offer and enjoy it as much as possible without complaining that a certain Mon I like isn't in them. That's one reason why I liked BW so much, as it allowed me to enjoy all the new content to the fullest without anything old bogging them down. To me, this is the same thing, and people really need to take a moment to simmer down and look at the big picture. People are entitled to their own opinions, as I'm indulging in that right now, but when it gets to the point that people are threatening the creators, signing petitions, and showing such childish outrage over minor stuff is going too far. Everyone, please, take a step back, cool your heads, and appreciate what the games are going to offer. Sure, you can't transfer EVERY Mon over, but so what? Is it really THAT important to have certain Mons on hand that you're willing to trash the games before they even come out? Does it really eclipse everything else that you feel the games (and the franchise) are ruined because of things like this? If so, then I suggest you quit the franchise here and now and never return, because you're clearly forgetting about what's important. It's not about the old, it's about the new, and the new should get center focus over everything else. And, most of all, it's ENJOYING the games as they are.

So what if you can't transfer EVERY old Mon into it, as they're NOT supposed to be the focus here. It's about the new Mons, the new characters, the new story, the new gameplay, the new region, just everything that is new. The old stuff really needs to step over to the side for once and allow the games, region, and characters to shine on their own. That's where XY and SM/USUM fell flat on, as the old overshadowed the new. Well, now it's time for people to stop complaining that the old isn't the focus and instead lock onto the new stuff that is going to take place in these games. Take a step forward for once and see what the games have to offer BEFORE complaining. The games haven't even come out yet, and people are going as far as petitions that GF aren't going to listen to anyway so they, the fans, can have every single little thing they want to satisfy their selfish attitudes. Face it, the games are coming out with what they've been planned to have whether you like it or not. My suggestion is this: pick up the games and play them as they are. Learn to enjoy them for what they have and not have a meltdown over the stuff they don't have. That's the whole point of a new game: to enjoy it for what it has, not what it doesn't have, as well as enjoy the new stuff instead of focusing solely on the old stuff. I get people are upset, really, I do, but it's going beyond sensible reason at this point. I'm complaining right now, too, and I apologize for it, but this is getting out of hand and I can't stay quiet while the world is self-destructing over very specific things that aren't in a soon-to-be released new game. Have our communities really gotten this toxic to the point no one is willing to simply enjoy the games for what they have to offer anymore? Is this what we've been reduced to? Everyone needs to step back, cool your heads, and look at the big picture. No matter how you slice it, the games will come out as planned with the content they're going to have as planned, and they will be purchased without fail. The best thing to do in this situation is enjoy the games for what they have, not what they don't have. That goes for Home, too, as it doesn't sound like it'll be just Bank 2.0. So, everyone, please, take a moment to cool your heads, take a good, long look at what the games have to offer, and just simply enjoy them for that. You're entitled to your own opinions, that's fine, but don't overblow it like the universe is about to implode. Act rationally, think logically, and save all final judgments until the games themselves have come out. That's all I will say now, as I think I've said enough.

I disagree completely. For many, many players, using their favourite Pokémon and making teams with their favourite Pokémon is everything (not particularly for the first play through of a game, but re-runs as well as online/competitive battles). There are players out there like me that will not enjoy playing Pokémon as much after I've finished the story, if I am no longer able to use my favourite Pokémon, then battling will simply not be anywhere near as enjoyable. Some people enjoy using the best strategies and will use any Pokémon they can to do so, but many others, prefer using their favourite Pokémon. A lot of players even have 'signature teams' with favourite Pokémon that will likely remain so for many years to come.

When you take into account everything that has been currently said in interviews and what not, it is becoming more and more clear that this will be the future of Pokémon games from now on. What this means, is that it could potentially be years before many players can use their favourite Pokémon again.

I can understand how annoying it would be seeing all the complaints around the internet, however, realistically, this is the only way in which Gamefreak may consider making changes to their current stance and nobody has to risk losing out on their ways of playing the games. One of the best things about Pokémon was the amount of freedom you had in playing, using any Pokémon you wanted, and any strategy you wanted, and this is no longer the case. It isn't a case of 'we only care about the old' but of 'It may be years before I can use my favourite Pokémon again, could I really enjoy these games as much? Will I be playing these games as much after post game if i will no longer get the enjoyment of testing myself against others with my team?"

until someone pointed them out
I was thinking the same way, but I became more unforgiving when GameFreak were the ones to point out graphics as the reason of excluding Pokémon. They dug their own graves on that front, essentially opening everyone to question the animations and graphics.

They are not doing games for the fans, they are doing it for them. For the sake of art. It's like a movie or a TV show, they have a way to see the things, and they do it their way.Either you like it or not, they don't give a f***. It only affect post game and the competitive battle.So every one,chill out and buy the game if you like it, don't buy if you don't like ,but for god sake,stop crying,this is not the end of the world.

Game Freak mentioned not wanting to leave people waiting, which is why they're pushing for the game to be released by the holiday season, despite issues that they're currently having

They impose a yearly release schedule on themselves, which anybody working in a creative field could tell you lends itself to weakened output, because it doesn't give you time to fully flesh out ideas. X and Y are probably the clearest examples of this, as entire plot threads and events like Eternal Floette were left hanging (or worse, created but just plain unused), and they didn't even bother to address their own efforts with a third version that time, such as by making a "Z", in spite of the fact that it would've been one of the few reasonably justified third versions they've ever made, from a story standpoint.

They also mentioned wanting to create a game "more exciting than Pokemon", which is why they have their A-team working on an entirely different game ("Town") while relegating Sword and Shield to their B-team..

What part of this is "doing it for them" or 'for the sake of art'? They've admitted that these games are not a priority for themselves.

What part of this is "doing it for them" or 'for the sake of art'? They've admitted that these games are not a priority for themselves.

The teams are named "1" and "2", which doesn't necessarily imply priority. Pokemon is handled by Team 2.

The teams are named "1" and "2", which doesn't necessarily imply priority. Pokemon is handled by Team 2.
I’m sorry, you’re gonna have to pardon my ignorance. How do the numbers 1 and 2 not imply priority?

I’m sorry, you’re gonna have to pardon my ignorance. How do the numbers 1 and 2 not imply priority?

I'm not saying they can't, but labelling teams after numbers could just be a way to enumerate them. Like, if I said, "here's teddy 1, and teddy 2", it doesn't mean that teddy 1 is more important than teddy 2. The more I think about this though, the more it does seem like a rather stretched point and I understand your confusion. I'm just bad at explaining stuff.

I find it hard to believe that Game Freak is prioritising other games over Pokemon, of all things. At they very least, it'd have equal priority with whatever else they're making.

I'm not saying they can't, but labelling teams after numbers could just be a way to enumerate them. Like, if I said, "here's teddy 1, and teddy 2", it doesn't mean that teddy 1 is more important than teddy 2. The more I think about this though, the more it does seem like a rather stretched point and I understand your confusion. I'm just bad at explaining stuff.

I find it hard to believe that Game Freak is prioritising other games over Pokemon, of all things. At they very least, it'd have equal priority with whatever else they're making.
The problem with the numbers is that you could look at it either way. Like, team 1 could mean it's the first and therefore more important team. But they could also be used as like an importance system, kinda like earthquakes or things. In which case, team 2 would be more important. We simply have no idea of knowing which is true and how it affects the development.

I signed the first one. I really, really hope Game Freak listens and adds a national dex. Scrapping a crap ton of content is just... it just sucks. There's also the risk that certain Pokemon from certain generations will be unfairly prioritized over others. Not to be mean to Kanto but... with the way they've been treating Kanto I wouldn't be surprised if most of the included Pokemon are from that region.

I signed the first one. I really, really hope Game Freak listens and adds a national dex. Scrapping a crap ton of content is just... it just sucks. There's also the risk that certain Pokemon from certain generations will be unfairly prioritized over others. Not to be mean to Kanto but... with the way they've been treating Kanto I wouldn't be surprised if most of the included Pokemon are from that region.
Yeah. For example, my favorite Pokemon is Zekrom. There is literally no way in hell a non-Kanto Legendary will be in any regional dex but its original one. So if they continue this approach, I'm SOL on using it till the eventual Gen V remakes, if those even happen. And after that...what then? Will I have to wait over a decade for Let's Go Patrat and Emolga to use it again?

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom