• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

I recall Gamefreak saying one of their reasons for sacrificing Pokémon, was so that the Pokémon that do make it in the game are more expressive and have higher quality animations. However, going back and watching some of the gameplay videos we have of Pokémon Sword and Shield, Pokemon's battle animations don't really look any different than what they always were. For instance, in a video that featured the E3 Demo, Sobble was battling Vulpix, when both of those Pokémon used their attacks, they barely moved at all. Throughout the video, when a Pokémon did move, it was nothing more than a Pokémon bouncing/jumping up. If this is the best we have to look forward to in terms of Pokemon's animations, then I fail to see how they were working on higher quality animations for each Pokémon.
this is one reason why i am curious about the next trailer coming out because what if the more elaborate animations are for fully evolved pokemon or for moves that are more likely to stick around because they are more effective in tougher battles?

this is one reason why i am curious about the next trailer coming out because what if the more elaborate animations are for fully evolved pokemon or for moves that are more likely to stick around because they are more effective in tougher battles?

I'm not too hopeful on that. Gamefreak never specified that certain Pokémon would be updated, they said that they cut Pokémon so that they could focus their attention on the Pokémon that are in the games. That implies all of them. And from what we've seen so far, I doubt any other Pokémon would be that much better.

Well, I'm seeing where the sacrifice of animating every Pokemon in favor of better models for certain Pokemon is coming into play; that high quality animation of Yamper's Tail Whip today utterly sold it, for me. The tail is so perfectly still as the entire Pokemon swivels back and forth; a lot of passion indeed must have been necessary to copy that over the 3DS games.

Think back to Lucario vs. Tyranitar in the first Direct. Not to mention the Max Raid footage.

Last edited:
Well, I'm seeing where the sacrifice of animating every Pokemon in favor of better models for certain Pokemon is coming into play; that high quality animation of Yamper's Tail Whip today utterly sold it, for me. The tail is so perfectly still as the entire Pokemon swivels back and forth; a lot of passion indeed must have been necessary to copy that over the 3DS games.
I won’t defend GF on the animation department, but is Tail Whip the animation to focus the criticism? The work on it, regardless if made in the past or how, isn’t nearly as bad as the Double Kick of the world.

You know, on youtube on the offical pokemon channels, the japan one I find it super interesting that they dont show the like and dislike ratio and they disabled the comments. on the english one both the regular one and the uk one, the likes and dislike ratio is shown and comments are not disabled.
do you think its is about shielding the japanese audience about the dex issue? or do you think that they are hiding negativity from the japanese audience?

the JP videos haven't allowed likes/dislikes and comments for a long time.
oh ok. well this is the only time i made and effort to look just out of curiosity because of the dex stuff. i just assumed they did because all the other pokemon channels did.

Aaand now that they've revealed Gigantimaxing, basically an extension of Dynamaxing but the gigamax Pokemon has a new design exclusive to that state. So the picture about GF needing more development time per species is a bit more clear, because at least some Pokemon actually have two models that the team needs to design and animate, in the same way that Mega Evolutions were themselves an additional model to design/animate.

Even so, it's another clear sign of accretion , a hallmark of which is "in one generation out the next". How many things can they establish in the canon before the canon itself collapses under its own weight? We've already seen it in terms of sheer Pokedex count....

At the end of the day they could patch it in if they wanted to. If Pokémon Go had not eclipsed the main series in terms of earning potential them they would have I’m sure of it. It is for this reason GameFreak moved focus away from the core Pokémon games and why there was no one within the Pokémon Company willing or able to help like they did with X & Y.

Gameboy - 3DS cartridges were all proprietary and they managed with much lower storage space. I’m sure the next Yokai game on Switch will have more sprites than SW&SH.

Gameboy - 3DS cartridges were all proprietary and they managed with much lower storage space. I’m sure the next Yokai game on Switch will have more sprites than SW&SH.
YKW4 also has removed Yo-Kai, but they promised that more will be added through patches. So at least they're better in that regard.

YKW4 also has removed Yo-Kai, but they promised that more will be added through patches. So at least they're better in that regard.

That’s very much! I did not know this in fact I’ve only recently got into the series through my wee ones. I’ve not played all of the games yet but kind of disappointed how much better they are compared to the recent Pokémon games in terms of features etc.

Sorry didn’t mean to go off topic.

I really don't think it is fair to compare YKW to Pokemon. Yes, they're similar enough but monster collecting RPGs are an actual genre. (Which Pokemon did not found, btw. It only just made it popular.) Yes it is a little disappointing from first glance that YKW has a lot of re-skinned monsters, but that is its own thing. It doesn't have to be identical to Pokemon and frankly that's why I like it.

I really don't think it is fair to compare YKW to Pokemon. Yes, they're similar enough but monster collecting RPGs are an actual genre. (Which Pokemon did not found, btw. It only just made it popular.) Yes it is a little disappointing from first glance that YKW has a lot of re-skinned monsters, but that is its own thing. It doesn't have to be identical to Pokemon and frankly that's why I like it.

I’m not trying to compare them directly and obviously I’m a Pokémon fan first. That said the YKW games are more advanced for the most part than Pokémon of late. I’m not hating on S&S either I under why it is this way just think it’s short sighted.

I would say Pokémon was first the only games I can think of were the SMT and a DQ game. Both of which allowed you to fight alongside your monsters. Pokemon was the first game were you actually battled only with the monsters and it was the first were the goal was to “Catch em All”. I’m willing to admit might be wrong here but I certainly do think Pokémon started the genre properly.

I somehow doubt that YW 4 will have over 350 monsters even after all the patches, but at least the models and (relatively complex) animations are all new.
It's been explicitly stated during the 2019 Anime Expo (and later reported on by Nintendo Soup) that Yokai Watch 4 will have over 800 yokai after patches.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom