• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

"There wasn't an obstacle then, and there still isn't" is not a glowing positive, it's just the norm.

Kinda the point I was going for

Again, this is the quote I was replying to:

You were talking about storage in Home, so I was talking about storage in Home.

If we want to look at the idea of battling in old games, then we'll also have to consider the fact that we don't know how long 3DS servers will be up, making it harder for people to find someone to play against, and we also don't know how long Bank will be up to allow people to transfer their Pokemon before they get stuck in 3DS games with no way out.

I never said anything about Home, like that never came out of my mouth....er fingers. And I highly doubt GF will let Bank end anytime soon, cause even they know not everybody is willing to use Home so they'd want to keep option open. Not to mention bot makes them money on 2 fronts so not the best idea to let it dies just yet..

It's a variation of the kind of food. It's still not the same thing.

If you ordered a burger with bacon, and you got a burger with no bacon, would you accept the waiter telling you that they gave you "the same order, but different"? That, even though you wanted bacon, it's not the entire experience of the burger, and you weren't buying the burger just for the bacon?

That's not really a variation, your analogy. What you're aiming for is a bacon burger but didn't have cheese in it. You can still have have a bacon burger with or without cheese, cause you still get you order, the cheese is just is just a variation your order. Now let's end the food analogies here before we make everyone hungry

Besides, shorter dev time doesn't just mean cutting Pokemon-it could also lead to other content being cut.

Other content like?

But what mutuality is there? You haven't had to change your stance on anything. You haven't had to adjust your playstyle. You haven't had to accept that something you want isn't in the game. You won't even consider the removal of Pokemon as a negative thing. Telling everyone that they need to change their opinions to match yours isn't "understanding from both sides". It's one side conforming to the other.

Trying to come o an understanding on both ends is not conforming. The point of a debate is to make both sides agree to something. And in case you have forgotten, I'm just as effected by Dexit any anybody here, I have many pokemon I was prepared to transfer over till I heard the news, which also left me a bit disappointed. So yeah, I did have to adjust, on playstyle and something that's not in the game, and I bet you never even tried to see where I'm coming from cause it's an opposing opinion. But I actually put in the effort to see where your complaints come from cause I'm also a victim. Now are you willing to put in the same effort to understand how or why I choose to not be effected?

Last edited:
The point being made about the anime is that if a delay had been decided on in late 2018, the staff would have planned for a filler saga instead of a new series. And something as big as Dexit shouldn't be a last-minute decision.

How is it ironic? Nobody expected Let's Go. Nobody expected a "Dexit".

We all thought Gamefreak had their shit together.
The first HD generation would not have been ready by 2018 without being rough around the edges. I just think it was naive to expect something adequate only two years after SM. There was no precedent to suggest it was possible.

The point being made about the anime is that if a delay had been decided on in late 2018, the staff would have planned for a filler saga instead of a new series. And something as big as Dexit shouldn't be a last-minute decision.

And yet, people are actually asking to GF to delay the games now, without considering the fact that the games themselves are just a portion of Pokémon as a franchise and a delay would put a wrench on all other parts of the franchise.

Besides, they (GF) had already tied their hands back when Let’s Go was announced, in which they said that they would have released a mainstream game this year.

Sure, they could have decided for a delay back then, upon realizing the massive workload that the newer games would involve, but for whatever reason, that’s evidently not an option. It could because of pressure from Nintendo, from the market, from deadlines, or from something else entirely. Who knows. Fact is, that for some reason we are unaware about, they couldn’t do anything else than resort to the cut, and changing plans now isn’t an option anymore.

Which is why I think people should advocate for the company to take more time for the next games, rather than asking for changes for SwSh. Use these incoming games as the base for Gen 9 or something, and improve from there.

I think everyone can learn from Dexit.
GF and Nintendo need to restructure the releases to give the series room to actually breathe.
While certain fans and Poketubers can learn that they don't need a game every year and stop making pseudo hype trains over something that doesn't exist.

Sees this post looks at avatar...

Of course!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not shitting on Let's Go (it does what it should do), it just took away the year some people expected a new generation.

I just don't think it's ironic that some people who are now critical on Sword/Shield also expected generation 8 to hit in 2018 before Let's Go was announced, as nobody expected Let's Go.

They were upfront with saying the next gen games where coming though. LGPE was used to iron out a lot of bugs I’m just surprised how low energy Sword and Shield seem to be.

That said X&Y and SM&USUM had the lowest number of new mon. S&M also removed hordes, triple and rotation battles. S&M removed the NatDex but no one noticed as trade was still possible.

Sad thing is I can’t walk away from Pokémon and a lot of the fans are that way all the horrible toxic people complaining will still buy the games.

And yet, people are actually asking to GF to delay the games now, without considering the fact that the games themselves are just a portion of Pokémon as a franchise and a delay would put a wrench on all other parts of the franchise.

Besides, they (GF) had already tied their hands back when Let’s Go was announced, in which they said that they would have released a mainstream game this year.

Sure, they could have decided for a delay back then, upon realizing the massive workload that the newer games would involve, but for whatever reason, that’s evidently not an option. It could because of pressure from Nintendo, from the market, from deadlines, or from something else entirely. Who knows. Fact is, that for some reason we are unaware about, they couldn’t do anything else than resort to the cut, and changing plans now isn’t an option anymore.

Which is why I think people should advocate for the company to take more time for the next games, rather than asking for changes for SwSh. Use these incoming games as the base for Gen 9 or something, and improve from there.

This is a good point I’ve made it several times as have others. The games need to release inline with the rest of the media TCG and anime/movies.

All GameFreak has to do is say they’ll patch the missing Pokémon in later problem solved. Heck as much as I hate the idea I’m being honest and saying I’d hate myself for it but I’d buy DLC NatDex.

The delaying games now conversation isn’t really relevant to this thread seeing almost everyone (I hope) is in agreement that a delay is not feasible.

Gradual patches, and two games not being incompatible with each other are valid things to ask for, as is planning a longer release schedule.

at this making new games is just an expense they have for merchandise
You’re acting as if the games have zero profit. There’s no reason to believe that it makes any less profit compared to any other video game series.

The delaying games now conversation isn’t really relevant to this thread seeing almost everyone (I hope) is in agreement that a delay is not feasible.

Gradual patches, and two games not being incompatible with each other are valid things to ask for, as is planning a longer release schedule.

You’re acting as if the games have zero profit. There’s no reason to believe that it makes any less profit compared to any other video game series.

The core games make money but it’s nothing compared to the mobile games GO made 5% of Pokémon LIFETIME revenue in 3 years. If true that’s what approximately $4.5 billion USD?

This is the issue it’s not that the games don’t make money it’s that the core games take more effort for less return. When TPC is deciding where to invest well from a business point of view that’s simple.

Edit

I read that it’s 5% of life time revenue but they say $ 2.5 billion which doesn’t add up. Regardless the mainline RPGs don’t come close to that in a 3 year timespan. Total for video game sales is 17.138 billion but I can’t tell if this includes Pokémon Go etc.

Last edited:
This is the issue it’s not that the games don’t make money it’s that the core games take more effort for less return. When TPC is deciding where to invest well from a business point of view that’s simple.
I do get the point, but the user acted as if the games are just a burden, when they probably make as much profit as other games (I think it’s even more because imo Pokemon games don’t take much resources to begin with compared to other games but I won’t present my opinions as fact).

It’s just that Pokemon is such a humongous franchise that the profits the games make look minuscule in comparison. I feel there is no doubt that the games pay for themselves in the profits they make. The narrative that they’re a ‘burden’ and a drain on resources isn’t really true.

The fact that Pokemon mobile apps are usually made in collaboration with other studios should be considered too. The profits will be shared by Niantic, Nintendo and Creatures and then GameFreak.

I do get the point, but the user acted as if the games are just a burden, when they probably make as much profit as other games (I think it’s even more because imo Pokemon games don’t take much resources to begin with compared to other games but I won’t present my opinions as fact).

It’s just that Pokemon is such a humongous franchise that the profits the games make look minuscule in comparison. I feel there is no doubt that the games pay for themselves in the profits they make. The narrative that they’re a ‘burden’ and a drain on resources isn’t really true.

The fact that Pokemon mobile apps are usually made in collaboration with other studios should be considered too. The profits will be shared by Niantic, Nintendo and Creatures and then GameFreak.

I agree to an extent the core games pay for themselves more so they do make profit. Most hardcore fans are buying 3 - 6 games a generation at $40 (now $60) each. GameFreak also owns shares in the Pokémon IP regardless AFAIK. GameFreak is also a tiny studio so they are in no way a burden. The mobile games will forever make more money than the core series but I think without the core series the franchise would lose it’s foundation.

GameFreak will get their cut regardless of who makes the game. I’d not see this as a bad thing it’s money for nothing effectively. I think the real issue is GameFreak don’t want to lose relevance or be overshadowed by some outsider company. They are panicking and looking to diversify their income streams with new IP.

Edit:

Nintendo, GameFreak and Creatures are the majority shareholders in The Pokémon Company. Nintendo has sole control over the IP.

Last edited:
the revenues from the mobile app go directly to TPC which, presumably, splits its revenues/profits equally between Nintendo, Creatures, and GF. there is no "then" here.
16 million units at 40 bucks is some 640 million dollars. sure, a lot of money compared to other video games in terms of revenue (though that's simply due to sheer volume of sales and the Nintendo Tax on their SKUs), but it's only ten percent of TPC's 6 billion in revenue. TPC's profit for that year (i think that figure is from 2016 or 2017) was some 240 million. not that that number is anything to sneer at, but it does demonstrate the TPCi has some pretty hefty expenses. now, the games certainly turn a pretty nice profit, but i would say most people severely overestimate how much that profit is. further, you're not going to convince anyone in management that investing more money and time in Pokemon games is going to be worthwhile. but of course, as always, you'd need internal financial information.

the revenues from the mobile app go directly to TPC which, presumably, splits its revenues/profits equally between Nintendo, Creatures, and GF. there is no "then" here.

16 million units at 40 bucks is some 640 million dollars. sure, a lot of money compared to other video games in terms of revenue (though that's simply due to sheer volume of sales and the Nintendo Tax on their SKUs), but it's only ten percent of TPC's 6 billion in revenue. TPC's profit for that year (i think that figure is from 2016 or 2017) was some 240 million. not that that number is anything to sneer at, but it does demonstrate the TPCi has some pretty hefty expenses. now, the games certainly turn a pretty nice profit, but i would say most people severely overestimate how much that profit is. further, you're not going to convince anyone in management that investing more money and time in Pokemon games is going to be worthwhile. but of course, as always, you'd need internal financial information.

Not sure it’s an equal split (likely based on the size of their shareholdings) but I agree with the point you’re making GameFreak’s shares in TPC are no less valid.

Edit

Adding

“Niantic's augmented reality Pokémon game, Pokémon Go, netted $68.1 million in January 2019. According to Sensor Tower (thanks, VentureBeat), that's up 84 per cent from January 2018, when Niantic made $37 million, and takes the game's total revenueto $2.3 billion.”

Pokémon Go still printing money...

The big issue imo is that they left things too open-ended and now it's turned into a war of assumptions.
What people want now are absolute answers.
How many mons are in the game
What exactly is Home
Is their a possibility for a post launch path
Depending on the responses to these questions will make or break our current scenario

Not sure it’s an equal split (likely based on the size of their shareholdings) but I agree with the point you’re making GameFreak’s shares in TPC are no less valid.
it's an "equal" split or as equal as you can get splitting an entity across three. Nintendo, Creatures, and GF each own 33-34% of TPC. Nintendo is effectively higher though because they also own Creatures.

The big issue imo is that they left things too open-ended and now it's turned into a war of assumptions.

Depending on the responses to these questions will make or break our current scenario

There will be no patch to add in any Pokémon in future according to Masuda-san’s Twitter. I don’t know if this is just his pride talking or the fact they know the games will sell why waste resources? I still hold out hope for a patch.

it's an "equal" split or as equal as you can get splitting an entity across three. Nintendo, Creatures, and GF each own 33-34% of TPC. Nintendo is effectively higher though because they also own Creatures.

Thanks I had thought GameFreak had a 25% stake. The last article I can find is from 2016 Nintendo apparently have a 10% stake in Creatures I can’t confirm it though.

Last edited:

The current scenario will remain the same till release. They made a mistake in that moment when they claimed that the cut of the national dex was needed because of the animations. They made a second mistake answering to the protest with a "sorry but no". Now there's really no way out.
Don't you get It? People would have already recovered from the lack of the dex if GF cared to give the proper answers when they had to.
Right now a lot of people are just frustrated because they feel ignored and deceived, this is why they are still clogging their social media. And there's really nothing Gf or Nintendo or TPCi can do...Not counting that all the flaws found by fans in the games or the better animations coming from a chinese bootleg mobile game don't really help people calm down on things that have been a problem in pokemon games for a long time.
Sw/Sh can end up being quite good games but, even if the sales will be good, they will bring this backlash with them in history and next games will receive the same treatment.
In this moment they should at least announce patches to keep quiet those who actually want the dex. It wouldn't stop the protest most likely but there's really nothing they can do for graphics and animations at this point cause they will not delay the games for obvious reasons.

The current scenario will remain the same till release. They made a mistake in that moment when they claimed that the cut of the national dex was needed because of the animations. They made a second mistake answering to the protest with a "sorry but no".

Agree up to this point. The people complaining about how the game looked at E3 etc need to wait for the games release it’s still being worked on. They would not have cared if not for the NatDex controversy. If you look on social media people were saying it looked good up until we were told about the Galar only Dex.

So all these people complaining on Twitter are just seeking likes and validation etc in my opinion.

The current scenario will remain the same till release. They made a mistake in that moment when they claimed that the cut of the national dex was needed because of the animations. They made a second mistake answering to the protest with a "sorry but no". Now there's really no way out.
Don't you get It? People would have already recovered from the lack of the dex if GF cared to give the proper answers when they had to.
Right now a lot of people are just frustrated because they feel ignored and deceived, this is why they are still clogging their social media. And there's really nothing Gf or Nintendo or TPCi can do...Not counting that all the flaws found by fans in the games or the better animations coming from a chinese bootleg mobile game don't really help people calm down on things that have been a problem in pokemon games for a long time.
Sw/Sh can end up being quite good games but, even if the sales will be good, they wilt l bring this backlash with them in history and next games will receive the same treatment.
In this moment they should at least announce patches to keep quiet those who actually want the dex. It wouldn't stop the protest most likely but there's really nothing they can do for graphics and animations at this point cause they will not delay the games for obvious reasons.
I agree but the lack of any proper answers is the real issue.
Reaffirming just reeved up the heat and u us in turbo mode.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom