• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Honestly, it was only a matter of time before they either decided to remove Pokémon from the games or to go with a full reboot and scrap every single Pokémon.

Do people really think that they could be able to balance the even growing number of Pokémon? That they’ll be able to keep a good quality when the number of Pokémon reaches 1.500? 2.000? 3.000?

It’s simply almost infeasible, and the more there is to program, and the longer time they would need to insert stuff into the games. Do you want them to reach a point of needing five-six years to release a new mainstream game? I mean, I know that some people wouldn’t mind much, but if they were to have the luxury of time, it would probably take that long to cram all that material. And, well, we know how many fans and the businessmen are impatient about that.
This! This is what I was talking about. I do recall reading that the decision was hard to make. Perhaps they simply forgot to mention it?

But that's the thing. When they say they are the same, they literally mean they are the same. There are a few twitter posts from animators and modelers confirming this.
without actually seeing the skeletons of the pokemon, i highly doubt you could just off the cuff say they are the exactly the same. especially considering that there'd be the under-the-hood ("texture") stuff that wouldn't necessarily translate. of course, that also still wouldn't invalidate my other point anyways.

I still firmly believe that the LGPE Pokémon models, look a lot better than the SwSh models.

I didn't know how much I preferred no-outline models, until I saw LGPE.

Last edited:
This! This is what I was talking about. I do recall reading that the decision was hard to make. Perhaps they simply forgot to mention it?

At this point the fans have admitted to having no problem with an additional year (I certainly have no issue with it) in response to the idea of fan want for games quicker. As to the mon count....with how they've slowed down in new Pokemon since Gen 6 reaching 2000 is a concern for Game Freak decades down.

At this point the fans have admitted to having no problem with an additional year (I certainly have no issue with it) in response to the idea of fan want for games quicker. As to the mon count....with how they've slowed down in new Pokemon since Gen 6 reaching 2000 is a concern for Game Freak decades down.
Let's take a look shall we:

Gen 1 brought 151 to the table (this is justified being the first batch).
Gen 2 brought in 100
Gen 3 introduced 135
Gen 4: 107
Gen 5: 156
Gen 6: 72
Gen 7: 88

According to this, since Gen 5, the amount of new Pokemon has never been over 100 (Gen 8 notwithstanding). It makes sense seeing as Gen 5 was the last generation to use 2D Sprites. Now if they had stayed with 2D sprites, would they be able to make more than 100 Pokemon?

They forgot to mention that it takes time to program in all Pokemon-but they took the time to program them all into LGPE, despite not using hundreds of them?

There is a good difference between strings of data and models. Copy pasting data is a relatively faster process, and copying all that data is mainly used as a failsafe way to not make the games crash or break if someone purposely hacks them, like for example trying to import unavailable Pokémon to LGPE by bypassing the locks and stuff.

Also, at times it can be risky to remove chunks of data, and there have been cases of corruptions in the games because the devs removed something that kept things together. So, it’s usually better to import data that will simply be disabled than it is to remove something without knowing what it’s going to affect.

It’s more or less the same reason they didn’t scrap stuff like the Gems even if they were made unavailable, and it’s a practice that many game developers follow as well. Not only Game Freak.

Let's take a look shall we:

Gen 1 brought 151 to the table (this is justified being the first batch).
Gen 2 brought in 100
Gen 3 introduced 135
Gen 4: 107
Gen 5: 156
Gen 6: 72
Gen 7: 88

According to this, since Gen 5, the amount of new Pokemon has never been over 100 (Gen 8 notwithstanding). It makes sense seeing as Gen 5 was the last generation to use 2D Sprites. Now if they had stayed with 2D sprites, would they be able to make more than 100 Pokemon?
They wouldn't. 1000 pokemon are a lot, let's be honest. 2D or 3D wouldn't have changed the truth. Having 1000+ pokemon to deal with every new gen is annoying. Having 300 pokemon par game means you can add more new ones, you can focus more on the animations of those pokemon, you can adapt a new mechanic to more pokemon etc.
The problem? They didn't improve the ones they included in Galar.

Imagine this scenario:

• Let's go pikachu/eevee. You only have 151 pokemon. All of them receive new hd models, new (proper) animations).
  • Sword/Shield. You only have 400 pokemon. All of them (that haven't before) receive new hd models and animations.
  • D/P remakes. You only have 400 pokemon. All of them (that haven't before) receive new hd models and animations.
Result? They would have 80% of the work done for gen 9. Gen 9 will have proper models and animations for all pokemon and can include them all. And even if it wouldn't have of all them, I wouldn't honestly care, cause the sacrifice would be justified with (I don't know) better graphics or new gameplay features. Something.
The problem now? Why did they cut the pokemon for? What is it?? I really hope the August trailer (that is usually the most interesting one) really answers this question.

There is a good difference between strings of data and models. Copy pasting data is a relatively faster process, and copying all that data is mainly used as a failsafe way to not make the games crash or break if someone purposely hacks them, like for example trying to import unavailable Pokémon to LGPE by bypassing the locks and stuff.
This is a genuine question since I’m rather naive on the way games tend to handle this type of thing: Do they genuinely want to keep in fail-safe code in the event of hackers? My gut feeling is to say that they shouldn’t care; if you hack the game and it breaks then...that’s a good thing, no?
Also, at times it can be risky to remove chunks of data, and there have been cases of corruptions in the games because the devs removed something that kept things together. So, it’s usually better to import data that will simply be disabled than it is to remove something without knowing what it’s going to affect.

It’s more or less the same reason they didn’t scrap stuff like the Gems even if they were made unavailable, and it’s a practice that many game developers follow as well. Not only Game Freak.
As a software developer myself, I must say that this is terrible practice. I’m not sure how 1:1 this translates to game development, but in general you are never supposed to leave-in code that you aren’t going to use. If you leave in “useless” code because there’s a chance taking it out could break the final product, then that’s a problem you should fix before deployment. Otherwise, what you end up with is a compounding issue where you can be filling storage and processors with functions you don’t even need. It’s just very bad practice.
That’s not to say this isn’t what they are doing it’s just...you would think a company of this caliber would know better.

without actually seeing the skeletons of the pokemon, i highly doubt you could just off the cuff say they are the exactly the same. especially considering that there'd be the under-the-hood ("texture") stuff that wouldn't necessarily translate. of course, that also still wouldn't invalidate my other point anyways.
I literally stated in my post that experts at animation and modelers proved that they are the same models. I'm not saying anything of the cuff. I'm trusting the people who know what they are talking about.

i feel like as a dev you should already know that what constitutes "best practices" isn't what often happens in reality.
I literally stated in my post that experts at animation and modelers proved that they are the same models. I'm not saying anything of the cuff. I'm trusting the people who know what they are talking about.
and i am saying that unless these people are looking at the files of SwSh, there's no way for them to have proven that these are the same models.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom