• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are two many pokemon

There could be 3000 pokemon and it wouldn't be too much for me. And I'm fine with there being multiple pokemon based on an animal because most animals have subspecies and breeds anyway. Most pokemon take design ideas from more than just the animal anyway - zangoose is markedly different from yungoos.

spiders, monkeys, alpacas, camels,
better start thinking what was never done as a pokemon?

There will never be too many pokemon for me. I like different regions having similar animals and pokemon. I love the regional variants. Because the real world is FULL of similar animals. In fact there's so many drastically physically different breeds of dog its almost sickening.

IN FACT I DEMAND MORE CATS. I need all of the cats. And all of the foxes. grabby hands

Too many monkey pokemon? Well, monkey isnt a species name, its a quite large animal group. Monkeys: Facts, Types & Pictures

The legendary dogs pokemon WERE dogs BEFORE they died and were revived by Ho-oh, as you can see in pokemon generations. But now, raikou is clearly a tiger.

I would also love if they added that pokemon generation dogs as a official pre-evo species to raikou/suicune/entei

Last edited:
Okay so we have many animals and even items used for Pokemon. At this point I think the franchise is burned out. I'm sick of the same animals being used over and over again. Like we have 6 legendary dogs now and quote a few legendary birds. We Also did not need another sheep pokemon. I'm sorry Wooloo.

No one is forcing you to play

I'm in the camp of, as long as it's not the same type of animal, it's okay.

Like if they finally release Kotora after all these years, that's all fine and dandy because more than one type of tiger exists in real life so the Litten line is safe and Raikou is based off a mythical creature. Or if they come up with another type of jumping spider since theres a bunch of them in real life. But what's not okay is if they release two types of Pokemon based on something more specific...like how you can't really work with the same dog breeds more than for one line. Like Yamper is probably going to be the only corgi based Pokemon or Houndour and Houndoom will be the only Dobermans.

You can't reuse something that specific without overhauling everything or making regional variants. That's probably why they didn't come up with a new badger and just used the already established one with a new KISS paint job. Especially since the Japanese and European badgers look so similar other than being brown and grey respectively.

Personally, since it's possible that India is in the running for Gen 9 with the reveal of the curry mechanic. I await the day when we finally get to see that Indian elephant the Raichu and Gastly dex entries mentioned despite Phanphy and Donphan, dwarf/pygmy elephants, already existing.

Last edited:
Already have spiders (Spinarak, Dewpider), monkeys (a shitton), and a camel (Numel).

I don't think we have an alpaca yet?

Monkeys. Now 10 but no legendary one...
Spiders water, electric, poison? Could get more. Camels? There are more kinds. Also a rock/??? type would be more interesting.
Lama Arceus doesnt mean that we cant get regular Alpaca or lama again.

Tigers, lions, european lux, panthers, jaguars, gephards, sphinks, mantikor... Bastet.

There are also many unused wolf and dog motives yet.

Rat and mouse pokemon too.

I actually think that there should be more new Pokemon, as in entirely new species. I hate regional variants because I believe that it's a lazy way of revamping older Pokemon in an attempt to make them more relevant while also serving as an excuse to create less original Pokemon.

I disagree. Regional variants were the perfect addition in my opinion, because it mirrors real life, and how species evolve into different things overtime due to their environment and what not. It's not really lazy either, as almost the same amount of work goes into creating it as a brand new Pokémon, the only thing they have is an already existent Pokémon to base it on. That is hardly lazy, when they still need to create a whole new design (given, there are Pokémon like Dugtrio that just gets hair, but that is intentionally for comedic purposes, not because of laziness), new typings and movesets and everything else. With the work that goes into it, there is barely a difference between creating a new Pokémon, and a regional variant of a Pokémon, as such, calling it lazy makes no sense.

Only thing I don't like is when the variant only comes in a later part of the line. Like y'all gonna tell me that cubone randomly becomes a fire ghost in Pokemon Hawaii? Why? Do they ritually sacrifice abandoned cubone babies by tossing them in Wela Volcano.
When something like that happens, it could be environmental.

Like at least they kind of explained Alolan Raichu by saying it's from people feeding a normal Pikachu too many pancakes. Don't want a psychic mouse, don't evolve your Pikachu or feed it pancakes while in Alola.

Maybe they sacrificed Cubone many years ago and the rest of the species carries that burden and seeks revenge. Or maybe the Cuebone get cursed by touching bones of ancient Marrowak. It leaves it open to interpretation.

Galarian Weezing on the other hand is just a dapper Victorian industrialist looking to clean up all the smog that plagued Galar in the 1800s.

Maybe they sacrificed Cubone many years ago and the rest of the species carries that burden and seeks revenge. Or maybe the Cuebone get cursed by touching bones of ancient Marrowak. It leaves it open to interpretation.
I always thought that the Cubone line in Alola took up necromancy in an attempt to contact their dead parents, giving Alolan Marowak their Ghost-typing in the process.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom