• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

There is literally zero redeeming factors to the alola league

SinnohBoi

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Pick apart it as you may. The music, the animation, the episode structures and of course the battles and competitors. It's borderline unwatchable and for a show that is struggling with ratings, I figured olm would have put a bit more effort into this.

Honestly, if you don't like it, it's fine.

However, saying it has no redeeming qualities, though? There's no worse blind than the one that doesn't want to see. The Alola League might not be perfect but it has a lot of things going on in its favor.

Image result for may harley gif pokemon

James vs Jessie was all kinds of fun imo.

Both SM 130 and SM 132 have had lots of good stuff to show. Ilima vs Guzma, Suiren vs Mao and the eventual emotional fallout of Musashi vs Kojiro have been highlights. We haven't even finished the QF matches yet. It's a little premature to be labelling the entire League as irredeemable.

We still didn't see most of the best battles. It's still too early to reach a conclusion.

Honestly the only things I'm not crazy about is the fact that we won't get any full battles and that Ash's battles have been played for laughs and gags. Other than that, this is one of the cases where I actually appreciate them trying something new. We've gotten to see all of the battles for once and not all the battles have been bad. So far, in terms of battles, I'd say....

Good
Lana vs. Mallow
Lillie vs. Gladion
Guzma vs. Ilima
Kiawe vs. Sophocles(So far)
Sophocles vs. Mina

Okay...
Kiawe vs. Acerola
Hau vs. Samson Oak

Bad
Ash vs. Faba
Jessie vs. James
James vs. Gladion
Ash vs. Hau

Even if Ash loses here also, I can't say I'll be as mad as I was when he lost to Alain, Tobias, or Cameron. Especially Alain. If he loses to Gladion, it'll be okay, unless he loses for the sake of a gag.

Eh, SM ratings are actually up from XYZ in Japan.

Whether you like it or not, they are obviously doing something right.

They were until the time slot switch. Ever since the time slot switch, though, Pokémon Sun and Moon has been almost always outside of the Top 10 animé in Japan, even more so than XYZ. And I don't think that the recent League events will be doing the animé any favors.

Eh, SM ratings are actually up from XYZ in Japan.

Whether you like it or not, they are obviously doing something right.

First of all, ratings are not everything and don't have any indication on the quality of the anime. TVTokyo has gone on record saying they don't care about ratings, even if the Pokemon anime drops to below 3% ratings, which has happened in both XY/XYZ and SM.

Second of all, as someone else pointed out, the SM anime has not been faring better in ratings when compared to XY/XYZ.

Take a look at this:

The first link is for viewership ratings for XY/XYZ in Japan, while the second link is for viewership ratings for SM in Japan.

Ever since the time slot change, viewership ratings for the SM anime has basically been cut to two-thirds, sometimes even more so. But even before that, SM was barely keeping up in ratings when compared to XY. When you compare equivalent episodes, SM has only beaten XY on a few occasions. To add insult to injury, the SM anime has been out of the top 10 anime in viewership ratings since March (28 consecutive weeks), which has broken all previous records of the Pokemon anime. The most it had done so before was 7 consecutive weeks back in XY/XYZ. We should really thank Meltan's capture as well as the Misty/Brock cameos, otherwise the SM anime would actually have been out of the top 10 the entirety of 2019.

Before you argue that viewership ratings have steadily been dropping in Japan due to declining birthrates, each episode actually has a detailed rating separating viewership into age demographics. If you check those, SM has had lower viewership ratings among kids (4-12) and teens (13-19) when compared to XY/XYZ for most episodes.

While the time slot change definitely has effect on lower viewership ratings, there is no denying that the current genre of the Pokemon SM anime is not doing any favors. The lowest rated SM episode currently is SM126, which is probably the epitome of what SM is about.

Honestly, since the website I linked is considered an affiliate of Bulbapedia by both being members of Encyclopædiæ Pokémonis, I feel like we should translate those pages to English just to prevent people from bringing up misinformation about viewership ratings...

The Alola league has its faults, but it’s pretty okay for what it is. It’s laced with lots of character interactions, and literally no one is league exclusive character here. Everyone gets to root for their favourite character, whoever they are.

Some battles are laced with strategy, like Guzma’s, and Lillie’s. And we haven’t even seen the main Ash-battles yet.
It’s probably the most feasible league seeing the nature of the series. Some things could be better, but it’s entertaining enough for me.

This has been the most lackluster league in the entire series thus far. Everything that it has done could have been done in a generic tournament arc and would have possibly been better revived due to not having the title of Pokémon League and thus drawing the comparison to previous leagues. Black and White did it best with the Don George tournaments which drew in the entire cast plus recurring characters in a fun tournament. This League however, has yet to even live up to being called a League.

Good
Lana vs. Mallow
Lillie vs. Gladion
Guzma vs. Ilima
Kiawe vs. Sophocles(So far)
Sophocles vs. Mina

Okay...
Kiawe vs. Acerola
Hau vs. Samson Oak

Bad
Ash vs. Faba
Jessie vs. James
James vs. Gladion
Ash vs. Hau

I agree with you here, especially the bad ones

Leagues are supposed to be enjoyable, we've had plenty of battles but they're either too short or badly written. The battle royal round had potential and was something unique so credit where credit due

I agree with you here, especially the bad ones

Leagues are supposed to be enjoyable, we've had plenty of battles but they're either too short or badly written. The battle royal round had potential and was something unique so credit where credit due
While the battle royal was unique, it was also an incredibly lazy way to rush through the preliminaries and wasted numerous returning characters, relegating them to mete cameos as opposed to making this league feel like it rewarded you for having watched the series. In addition, if the writers really wanted the whole class to compete, the preliminaries would have been a good place for them to shine especially since they were never going to get as far as Ash or Kiawe.

While the battle royal was unique, it was also an incredibly lazy way to rush through the preliminaries and wasted numerous returning characters, relegating them to mete cameos as opposed to making this league feel like it rewarded you for having watched the series. In addition, if the writers really wanted the whole class to compete, the preliminaries would have been a good place for them to shine especially since they were never going to get as far as Ash or Kiawe.

Hopefully the Galar league will improve where Alola failed

First of all, ratings are not everything and don't have any indication on the quality of the anime. TVTokyo has gone on record saying they don't care about ratings, even if the Pokemon anime drops to below 3% ratings, which has happened in both XY/XYZ and SM.

Second of all, as someone else pointed out, the SM anime has not been faring better in ratings when compared to XY/XYZ.

Take a look at this:

The first link is for viewership ratings for XY/XYZ in Japan, while the second link is for viewership ratings for SM in Japan.

Ever since the time slot change, viewership ratings for the SM anime has basically been cut to two-thirds, sometimes even more so. But even before that, SM was barely keeping up in ratings when compared to XY. When you compare equivalent episodes, SM has only beaten XY on a few occasions. To add insult to injury, the SM anime has been out of the top 10 anime in viewership ratings since March (28 consecutive weeks), which has broken all previous records of the Pokemon anime. The most it had done so before was 7 consecutive weeks back in XY/XYZ. We should really thank Meltan's capture as well as the Misty/Brock cameos, otherwise the SM anime would actually have been out of the top 10 the entirety of 2019.

Before you argue that viewership ratings have steadily been dropping in Japan due to declining birthrates, each episode actually has a detailed rating separating viewership into age demographics. If you check those, SM has had lower viewership ratings among kids (4-12) and teens (13-19) when compared to XY/XYZ for most episodes.

While the time slot change definitely has effect on lower viewership ratings, there is no denying that the current genre of the Pokemon SM anime is not doing any favors. The lowest rated SM episode currently is SM126, which is probably the epitome of what SM is about.

Honestly, since the website I linked is considered an affiliate of Bulbapedia by both being members of Encyclopædiæ Pokémonis, I feel like we should translate those pages to English just to prevent people from bringing up misinformation about viewership ratings...
I think the big difference is that there was a pretty steep drop of viewership during XY, but SM viewership was more consistent until the time slot change.

Pick apart it as you may. The music, the animation, the episode structures and of course the battles and competitors. It's borderline unwatchable and for a show that is struggling with ratings, I figured olm would have put a bit more effort into this.
Ratings have never been a discussion, Pokemon has always had low Ratings since the starting of XY&Z. I wouldn't say there haven't been good stuff, Guzma's Cruel Battle Strategy, the epic badass moment between Ash and Gladion, Jessie Vs James, and plenty more.

Take a look at this:

I think it's more of a discussion that who has made the Top 10 in the Ratings more. SM even though having low numbers still made the Top 10 more than XY before the timeslot change. Only 13 Times out of the Top 10 in 90 Episodes for SM meanwhile 27 Times out of the Top 10 in 90 Episodes for XY. Both of them performed hideous when they entered their final Arc, SM clearly performed better against other Animes even sometimes topping MHA, while XY performed better in viewership regard.

Ratings have never been a discussion, Pokemon has always had low Ratings since the starting of XY&Z. I wouldn't say there haven't been good stuff, Guzma's Cruel Battle Strategy, the epic badass moment between Ash and Gladion, Jessie Vs James, and plenty more.

I think it's more of a discussion that who has made the Top 10 in the Ratings more. SM even though having low numbers still made the Top 10 more than XY before the timeslot change. Only 13 Times out of the Top 10 in 90 Episodes for SM meanwhile 27 Times out of the Top 10 in 90 Episodes for XY. Both of them performed hideous when they entered their final Arc.

While that is true, we must also consider the floor for entering top 10.

Back during XY, the floor for entering top 10 is much higher; XY029 had a rating of 5.2%, and yet it still wasn't enough to be within top 10. Another thing is that Yokai Watch was the height of its craze back when XY was airing, so that's one slot out of top 10 consistently taken.

On the other hand, the highest rating for an episode out of top 10 is SM013 with 3.9%, while Yokai Watch Shadowside and the reboot barely appears in the top 10 anymore. With the bar for entering reduced dramatically as well as one more slot to compete for, the SM anime has a better chance of entering the top 10. (That is, of course, until the time slot change)

videor.co.jp/tvrating/

The above link as well as animenewsnetwork has a pretty good archive of the top 10 anime tv rankings, so you can go back and check how the floor for entering top 10 has decreased over the years.

Of course, I must stress again. Viewership is not everything. TVTokyo doesn't care about viewership. According to their financial reports, the Pokemon anime is consistently ranked third in terms of revenue from anime. Nothing comes about from arguing viewership level for different series, other than causing arguments about the reception for different series...

While that is true, we must also consider the floor for entering top 10.

Back during XY, the floor for entering top 10 is much higher; XY029 had a rating of 5.2%, and yet it still wasn't enough to be within top 10. Another thing is that Yokai Watch was the height of its craze back when XY was airing, so that's one slot out of top 10 consistently taken.

On the other hand, the highest rating for an episode out of top 10 is SM013 with 3.9%, while Yokai Watch Shadowside and the reboot barely appears in the top 10 anymore. With the bar for entering reduced dramatically as well as one more slot to compete for, the SM anime has a better chance of entering the top 10. (That is, of course, until the time slot change)

videor.co.jp/tvrating/

The above link as well as animenewsnetwork has a pretty good archive of the top 10 anime tv rankings, so you can go back and check how the floor for entering top 10 has decreased over the years.

Of course, I must stress again. Viewership is not everything. TVTokyo doesn't care about viewership. According to their financial reports, the Pokemon anime is consistently ranked third in terms of revenue from anime. Nothing comes about from arguing viewership level for different series, other than causing arguments about the reception for different series...

That's true but that also goes shows that Pokemon's Rating from 2013-2016 declined, but less than most other anime. Sazae-San declined 6.6%, Chibi Maruko-Chan declined 4.9%, Crayon Shin-Chan had a 3% decline, Doraemon had a 2.4% decline, Detective Conan had a 1% decline, Pokemon had the least decline along with One Piece with a 0.9% decline. Sumo didn't lose that much TV viewership from XY&Z as most people tend to think, It actually gained more from XY&Z and almost equally matched the start of the XY Series. Compare that during the transition to BW-XY. I agree that TV Ratings don't matter that much but people who enjoy the show while watching it on TV are the casuals and the Anime's main target audience, heck to make Pokemon Family-Friendly was why they moved it to Sundays in the first place, but I agree it doesn't really matter that much if merchandise sells well.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom