• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

There's Arceus and then there's...Death?

Do you Agree/Disagree?

• Yes

Votes: 89 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 106 54.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see where it says Arceus is the life pokemon. (it is alpha, study greek myth a tad)

I didn't say whether or not Arceus represented life... I just said that I'm not sure what's going to happen, like if they expand on Arceus' legend/myth by making a counterpart or whatever. What I had previously posted, I was saying whether or not that had to do with the original topic of this thread, which had something to do with Arceus and the concept of death. I'm not the original poster of this thread, so I wouldn't know.

I was thinking balance and dualities, actually. I mean, they are Yin and Yang pokemon, right?

That's what I just pointed out in my previous post.

4 words come to ny mind

Optimus Prime and Megatron

Both on oppisite sides of the spectrum for intenions but ultimatley are BROTHERS?? Anyone else hoping that this could possibly be the solution to the problem. Maybe (not death, although i'd love that idea) but rejection of not being a "god" so to speak and revenge is his angle?

Eh?..eh?
I really have no idea on what the big picture is that im trying to get across just thought of a new perspective of things to look at

well if arceus has a counter-part, that would mean that said-pokemon would have created a dragon trio as well? maybe zekrom and reshiram are part of that trio? just a thought.

Arceus isn't a Judeo-Christian 'god,' he's based off a Chinese legend. Besides, he isn't really a god pokemon. That's just myth fodder.

We need a scientific theme with the legendaries again. Black and White seems promising on that delivery actually, but you never know.

Hmph.

@ the bolded & underlined part:
i also wouldn't think a christen would kill people just for fun on video games but look at WoW, GTA, (insert almost any other video game that isn't deemed "childish" by the masses or purely a sports game here), but they do.
THIS IS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE

I understand your arguement,at least.Thanks.

Arceus isn't a Judeo-Christian 'god,' he's based off a Chinese legend. Besides, he isn't really a god pokemon. That's just myth fodder.

What about its name orgins?

Arceus's name may come from the words arch (highest) and deus, which is Latin and Greek for god. It may also have a root in the Latin word arcanus, which means secret; sacred mystery. Arceus's name may also come from the word archaic (ancient), which comes from the Greek arkhaios, and is derived from the ancient Greek word for "beginning", arkhē. It could have also come from the Latin word archetypus (original). Alternatively, Arceus's name can be seen as a portmanteau of Zeus, the most powerful of Greek gods and arch (highest). Another theory may be the combination of Zeus and Ra spelled backwards. Zeus being the king of gods and Ra being the solar god and creator. Those two qualities are shared by the Pokémon. Nevertheless, Arceus's name origin and possible theories have led fans to believe that Arceus may be in fact a creator deity in Pokémon form.

Arch+Deus = "Highest God" whatever the actual orgins are, its a safe bet to assume its the god pokemon as from the movie you can see it can destroy life or create ie (like it did with the land to make it green and fertile and destroying it) I suppose that doesn't prove that its the god pokemon, but its close given the info we have on it

In any case, its stated to be the original one, the first, so

well if arceus has a counter-part, that would mean that said-pokemon would have created a dragon trio as well? maybe zekrom and reshiram are part of that trio? just a thought.

IMHO that is quite possible... but, did that mean that this "counterpart" (if he did exist) also created a counterpart of the lake trio (and all other Pokemon) too?

It is possible that there is more than one of each legendary in each world.

Ponder that for a moment.

so could another Arceus (or more) be the opposite of the Arceus we have seen?

Or.... Arceus created more of itself to help create the universe. This means there are multiple Arceus (likely 17), and the ???-type Arceus is the evil one. Now that would be cool, having a storyline where you could see 17 Arceus at once. Of course, they could just be parts of one whole. Either that, or the Anti-Arceus could be much weaker than its good counterpart, like how (according to Christianity) Satan is just the bouncer to Hell, and God made everything. So Anti-Arceus would be a renegade servant to Arceus, that has his own realm. aka Giratina.

...Even the so-called "Gods of the Pokemon world" are not single deities. There are probably many of the same Legendaries throughout the world, explaining why there were Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza in HGSS and RSE, Regice, Regirock, and Registeel in Platinum and RSE, Moltres, Articuno and Zapdos in DPPt (Pt only?) and in FRLG/HGSS as well as Dialga, Palkia and Giratina in DPPt and HGSS. There's also Lugia and Ho-oh in FRLG (or was it Emerald?) and HGSS and Latias/Latios in RSE and HGSS. What's stopping Arceus from being just like all the other legendaries?

Or.... Arceus created more of itself to help create the universe. This means there are multiple Arceus (likely 17), and the ???-type Arceus is the evil one. Now that would be cool, having a storyline where you could see 17 Arceus at once. Of course, they could just be parts of one whole. Either that, or the Anti-Arceus could be much weaker than its good counterpart, like how (according to Christianity) Satan is just the bouncer to Hell, and God made everything. So Anti-Arceus would be a renegade servant to Arceus, that has his own realm. aka Giratina.
...you have no idea how stupid this sounds to me...

What I'm saying is that the Anti-Arceus is Giratina. Why?
1) It owns its own realm, albeit a flawed one
2) It seems to be drawn to death, and, supposedly, was put in its alternate dimension as a punishment
3) I'm aetheist, but I think it's interesting to use metaphors with spiritual context. If you'd like to know, I got my stuff from Dante's Inferno, which was paraphrased from the Bible. Aiee.
4) On multiple legendaries..... Remember, since 10-year-olds are catching these things (putting the world out of balance), Arceus has to make new ones all the time (remember what Arceus did in the Sinjoh Ruins to get , and hide them in new places so more l0-year-olds can't find them, so the world won't fall apart. Even then Arceus created multiple copies of itself, so it has backup, should a kid find the Sinjoh Ruins or the Hall of Origin. This means all the Arceus' caught so far are duds, and the real one was the one that teleported you to the Sinjoh Ruins, which could not be caught.

Sorry for sounding stupid, Venator. I'm a Noob, you see.

What I'm saying is that the Anti-Arceus is Giratina. Why?
1) It owns its own realm, albeit a flawed one
Flawed? How would it be flawed if you never lived in human world?

2) It seems to be drawn to death, and, supposedly, was put in its alternate dimension as a punishment
Drawn to death? I know you are quoting the Pokedex entries here but why would it be drawn to death? Maybe it was drawn to a cemetary for some reason other than death? I mean, other than corpses, there is generally stone, metal and grass in a cemetary. Who's to say it isn't drawn by a specific stone used as a headstone? And how woulda Pokedex writer know about the backstory of Giratina if it is "the Forgotten One"?
3) I'm aetheist, but I think it's interesting to use metaphors with spiritual context. If you'd like to know, I got my stuff from Dante's Inferno, which was paraphrased from the Bible. Aiee.
But Arceus, though his name may come form Greek and Latin, is not based directly on the Christian god and draws from other mythologies with its form. Most notably Chinese... hmmmmmmmm... I sense a disturbance in the force.
4) On multiple legendaries..... Remember, since 10-year-olds are catching these things (putting the world out of balance), Arceus has to make new ones all the time (remember what Arceus did in the Sinjoh Ruins to get , and hide them in new places so more l0-year-olds can't find them, so the world won't fall apart. Even then Arceus created multiple copies of itself, so it has backup, should a kid find the Sinjoh Ruins or the Hall of Origin. This means all the Arceus' caught so far are duds, and the real one was the one that teleported you to the Sinjoh Ruins, which could not be caught.
Supreme Master Arceus? Why would there be such a thing? That's like assuming Satoshi Taijiri or whoever designed Arceus does not believe in the Japanese belief of Shintoism. Still sounds stupid to me.

Sorry for sounding stupid, Venator. I'm a Noob, you see.
Stupid is as stupid does in my book. Not that you act stupid its just I think your idea is stupid.

No. More like one Arceus with a bunch of copies so people can leave it alone, unlike all the other legendaries, who keep getting caught by 10-year-olds, which it has to replace. Also, if you notice, the catchable Arceus has no arms, as the Pokedex says. It can't even learn punching moves. The real Arceus has a thousand arms. Guess who? Flying Spaghetti Monster. Arceus was made to be anynomous, an anaglam of gods, and although its appearance resembles Eastern Deities, its creation of the universe is akin to a Monotheistic God. It wasn't meant to mirror any religion or god.

Getting off Arceus. So, I assume, an Anti-Arceus would have to be a anaglam of many 'evil' gods, like Set, Beelzebub, Satan, Eris (Hades isn't evil), and Loki. So...... A vengeful, spiteful, devious, tricky, and sadistic creature that has all the power of Arceus, but is only able to destroy. Sounds good?

It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
It is told in mythology that this Pokémon was born before the universe even existed.
It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world.
According to the legends of Sinnoh, this Pokémon emerged from an egg and shaped all there is in this world.

Reading is fun.

In the study of folklore, a myth is a symbolic narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form.

Typical characteristics

The main characters in myths are usually gods or supernatural heroes. As sacred stories, myths are often endorsed by rulers and priests and closely linked to religion. In the society in which it is told, a myth is usually regarded as a true account of the remote past. In fact, many societies have two categories of traditional narrative—(1) "true stories", or myths, and (2) "false stories", or fables. Myths generally take place in a primordial age, when the world had not yet achieved its current form. They explain how the world gained its current form and how customs, institutions, and taboos were established.

Some theories propose that myths began as allegories. According to one theory, myths began as allegories for natural phenomena: Apollo represents fire, Poseidon represents water, and so on. According to another theory, myths began as allegories for philosophical or spiritual concepts: Athena represents wise judgment, Aphrodite represents desire, etc. The 19th century Sanskritist Max Müller supported an allegorical theory of myth. He believed that myths began as allegorical descriptions of nature, but gradually came to be interpreted literally: for example, a poetic description of the sea as "raging" was eventually taken literally, and the sea was then thought of as a raging god.
I believe I've established something.

Add to the fact that the myths that tell of the creation of time and space are in a library inside of an old book and guess what? Arceus is described as a god in ancient legends.

It's a video game where children go around, defeat the mafia, and stuff eldritch abominations into little balls, and you're saying it's impossible for ancient legends to be true?

It's a video game where children go around, defeat the mafia, and stuff eldritch abominations into little balls, and you're saying it's impossible for ancient legends to be true?
And you're saying it isn't? The game is more or less our world with matter-to-energy converters inside a ball and creatures to catch with them. Has there been anything that proves that this isn't our world with one addition and a replacement? I mean, they reference parts of the real world in Pokedex entries and character monologues but you're saying that it isn't our world. Yeah...........................

No, this is not our world. It's a pro-human environment, but it's not our world.

Apparently you haven't read this yet. And I don't mean it is actually our world. I mean it is based off of ours with basically one replacement (Pokemon for animals) and one addition (Pokeballs a.k.a. Matter to Energy converters).

I understand. Also, in the Pokemon world, Japan makes up for most of the world's landmass, there are made up areas, and parents are really irresponsible with their kids (Happy 11th birthday! Go run around the continent we live on! Bring back an Arceus!).

Keep in mind that we are for the first time exploring a place different than Pokemon-Japan in Isshu. I say it's based on a part of China and that we will continue to branch out until we hit America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom