• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

There's just something about Pokemon...

Bittersweet

We're very concerned.
Reaction score
What is it about the Pokemon games that's so fun?
After more than 10 years, the games are still fun to play; there's something intrinsically enjoyable about them. What is it? What's this magic ingredient that's kept me interested for about nine years?

Is it because you're competing to become a master and there's something about that?...Like it's a challenge you just HAVE to meet?

Is it because you're competing in a League and earning small prizes along the way, cheering you on along your quest?

Is it because it's fun to collect all these creatures to battle for you?
Is there something fun about sending in creatures to fight for you?

Is there something about the gameplay?

What makes these games so fun; I'm curious to hear other people's ideas.
Please discuss.

Well i can only speak for myself,when i say this. The gameplay is good, and the game mechanics are good as well. but there is nothing like the feeling of powning some noob ass trainer. with some strong EV trained pokemon. it almost makes me feel sorry for them, because i know they never stood a chance. on another not it also made me aspire to collect things, it took me nearly a year of collecting to acquire all these pokemon. some of which have a lot of sentimental value to me like my first level 100. it goes without saying at least for me that the most collecting and mobbing is my favorite part and is what is going to keep me coming back for more.

The fact that every time you play the game, you get a new experience. The new generations of pokemon are enjoyable to grow, breed and evolve to different pokemon. The thing that keeps me interested is the new pokemon that I try and catch, the new legendaries and the new gyms and elite four.

This game will continue to be awesome until they stop making them. It will then continue to be awesome.

There are a few things about the Pokemon games I like:
-The game mechanics (that change with every passing generation)
-The plot/storyline
-The Pokemon that are available from start to finish

There's another thing... There's no way to 'beat' a Pokemon game. I mean, sure, some people consider if you catch all 493 pokemon, then you 'beat' the game. But there's still much more to do! You can have many goals, such as getting all egg moves on your pokemon, getting every shiny, getting enough pokemon so that you always have the right ID number for the lottery... yeah, I could go on forever. Pokemon games just never end!

For me I just want to be the very best, perhaps even the best there ever was. The real test is catching Pokemon, but training them is my primary cause. I like traveling through the different regions, searching for Pokemon far and wide. I meet as many as I can so I can understand the power that's inside.

Pokemon simply appeals to almost everyone, especially you and me. I feel like playing these games is part of my destiny. I have made a lot of great friends through the years, and stopped great evils in the Pokemon world. I have learned that courage and heart will pull us through. We should teach eachother the game mechanics and how to win, but remember always that we GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL.

For me, it's the whole journey. I really like traveling to see the new regions and places with my team. It feels like I was with friends, traveling around and just having fun. I do like the battling aspect of the whole franchise as well.

Last edited:
I suppose that the reason I play is not for the battles or anything, it's for the pokemon and the region. I loved the ideas behind pokemon. They're simple, but cool. Well, most of them *coughrhyperiorcough*. And the regions are always awesome and diverse. The legends, the story (simple though it may be) and the villains always intrigue me.

also, as an actor, I loved the role playing factor.

So, in the end, it's not the battles or the trades, but the creatures and the wonderous land they live in that makes it so appealing.

The fact that its so different than anything else out there is what appeals to me. Its also the discovery and sense of adventure that comes from playing the games. I just love catching the new and exciting creatures while exploring totally new environments.

Or it could all be Japanese mind control..... :dizzy:

Consistency. That's what does it for me. With Digimon, Medabots,Yugioh, Bakegamon, and even Neopets, the worlds are so big that it's impossible to keep track of everything. Everything gets chopped and changed so much that it becomes frustrating to keep track of. Pokemon, however, goes by the KISS principle -- Keep It Simple Stupid. so for me, it's easier to get a grasp on the regulated growth of the Pokemon World as opposed to the population explosions of it's rivals
Yeah, I know, I'm weird

Pokemon, however, goes by the KISS principle -- Keep It Simple Stupid.
IVs, EVs and almost 500 Pokemon would like to have a word with you.

I keep playing because I like the noise the EXP meter makes. No, not really, but there's something addictive about watching the levels climb and your Pokemon get stronger. I enjoy the grinding :lol:

IVs, EVs and almost 500 Pokemon would like to have a word with you.QUOTE]

But they're all built around the same basic structure; battles have stayed essentially the same for over 10 years...but they're starting to show their age, so I think they should change how the battlefield's set out, but that's off topic... God, I ramble on.

For me I just want to be the very best, perhaps even the best there ever was. The real test is catching Pokemon, but training them is my primary cause. I like traveling through the different regions, searching for Pokemon far and wide. I meet as many as I can so I can understand the power that's inside.

Pokemon simply appeals to almost everyone, especially you and me. I feel like playing these games is part of my destiny. I have made a lot of great friends through the years, and stopped great evils in the Pokemon world. I have learned that courage and heart will pull us through. We should teach eachother the game mechanics and how to win, but remember always that we GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL.

Dude...Come ON...:dodgy: ...Still...LOL.

I keep playing because I like the noise the EXP meter makes. No, not really, but there's something addictive about watching the levels climb and your Pokemon get stronger. I enjoy the grinding :lol:

I like that sound.

Well, I love turn-based JRPG's with a passion.

Pokémon is like a turn-based JRPG, but with near endless possibility of characters (with over 490 Pokémon, with stats that can grow very differently, some can have two different abilities, some are split evolutions, IVs/EVs).

And I like some specific Pokémon so much they make me want to play the game, and some characters make me want to play it.

haha

For me, I love turn based RPG's and I get a real feeling of actually undertaking a journey when playing Pokemon games that I just don't get in other games.

But that´s not what made Pokemon popular in the first place.The reason behind its sucess was precisely that the game was simplier than most JPRGs of its time.Polished,endless,fun? sure,but compared to other games,it was definetly simplier.

But that´s not what made Pokemon popular in the first place.The reason behind its sucess was precisely that the game was simplier than most JPRGs of its time.Polished,endless,fun? sure,but compared to other games,it was definetly simplier.

Did you even read the post I was replying too? The guy I quoted was saying that he likes Pokemon because it essentially hasn't gotten more complicated as the years have gone on like other series. It started out very simple, I agree.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom