• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP They made it WAY too annoying to get Spiritomb early.

EmpoleonProd

Empoleon Master Trainer
Reaction score
I have two gym badges and I have 25 hours of playtime, mostly in the underground, which means I have an absurd amount of statues, I've been force-respawning the NPCs you need to talk to to get to the required 32 unique NPCs, I have 400 fossil digging sessions and 137 statue variants logged, I talk to literally every NPC I pass, and I'm still like 10 NPCs short. This is such a ridiculous grind for what should only take a few hours. I just wanted to catch the Spiritomb for my team and use it on my playthrough... Sheesh. I never got the opportunity to catch a Spiritomb on a playthrough in the original Gen 4 games so I figured I'd give it a go this time around but now I think I remember why I didn't. A rather rare level 25 single-stage Pokemon with the same base stat total as Raichu and Staraptor should take 3-4 hours max to obtain, it shouldn't be this convoluted. I'm in too deep with NPC encounters now so I can't stop, but I highly recommend nobody else try this, it's mad annoying.

Can you catch Spiritomb without getting Switch Online and talking to real players? If you can I'll be really chuffed. I've been talking to the NPCs in the Underground but I wasn't sure whether they counted towards the 32 total or not.

It's always annoying when there's a Pokemon you want to use but you can't get it early enough. Having to talk to 32 unique NPCs sounds like a bit of a tall order; if I recall correctly, in the original Diamond and Pearl you could talk to the same person 32 times.

Last edited:
Can you catch Spiritomb without getting Switch Online and talking to real players? If you can I'll be really chuffed. I've been talking to the NPCs in the Underground but I wasn't sure whether they counted towards the 32 total or not.

It's always annoying when there's a Pokemon you want to use but you can't get it early enough. Having to talk to 32 unique NPCs sounds like a bit of a tall order; if I recall correctly, in the original Diamond and Pearl you could talk to the same person 32 times.
Yes, you can. I can't even talk to non NPCs in the underground

I have two gym badges and I have 25 hours of playtime, mostly in the underground, which means I have an absurd amount of statues, I've been force-respawning the NPCs you need to talk to to get to the required 32 unique NPCs, I have 400 fossil digging sessions and 137 statue variants logged, I talk to literally every NPC I pass, and I'm still like 10 NPCs short. This is such a ridiculous grind for what should only take a few hours. I just wanted to catch the Spiritomb for my team and use it on my playthrough... Sheesh. I never got the opportunity to catch a Spiritomb on a playthrough in the original Gen 4 games so I figured I'd give it a go this time around but now I think I remember why I didn't. A rather rare level 25 single-stage Pokemon with the same base stat total as Raichu and Staraptor should take 3-4 hours max to obtain, it shouldn't be this convoluted. I'm in too deep with NPC encounters now so I can't stop, but I highly recommend nobody else try this, it's mad annoying.
From what I've read, it's ridiculously difficult to obtain Spiritomb until you've unlocked ALMOST every area of the Grand Underground, which requires travelling to different points of the overground map - I believe the final underground area is unlocked when you get to the Battle Area. Each of these areas has unique NPCs that spawn there and you cannot find every unique NPC in just the large 'main' underground area you unlock when you first get the kit. Either way, it doesn't seem possible (or at least, simple) to get Spiritomb until post-6th badge at least. If this person is wrong (and this person is correct, who I discovered halfway through writing this post, lol), then you can obtain Spiritomb as soon as you get to the Hallowed Tower, but it's both recommended and easier to wait until you unlock more areas of the underground, as that way you'll get a higher chance of new NPCs that you haven't spoken to before appearing there. Hope this helps.

I intend to still go for obtaining Spiritomb (when I get to Celestic Town), because it was literally impossible for me to get it in the originals, and I'd like the challenge.

Dang I was just thinking this earlier. I have 43 hours logged right now and probably at least half of them have been spent underground. I'm at Snowpoint, so I've explored four out of six areas in their entirety. And I've still only talked to somewhere between 22-28 unique NPCs. It's kind of ridiculous that it's actually harder to get Spiritomb here than it was in DPPt (it was mostly just tedious then, not to mention you could do it as soon as you got to the Hallowed Tower).

Is there a complete list/chart of all the NPCs' names and where they usually appear? I feel like that could make things a lot easier (or at least less frustrating) if it was possible to just see on paper which ones you haven't spoken to yet.

Dang I was just thinking this earlier. I have 43 hours logged right now and probably at least half of them have been spent underground. I'm at Snowpoint, so I've explored four out of six areas in their entirety. And I've still only talked to somewhere between 22-28 unique NPCs. It's kind of ridiculous that it's actually harder to get Spiritomb here than it was in DPPt (it was mostly just tedious then, not to mention you could do it as soon as you got to the Hallowed Tower).

Is there a complete list/chart of all the NPCs' names and where they usually appear? I feel like that could make things a lot easier (or at least less frustrating) if it was possible to just see on paper which ones you haven't spoken to yet.
I have no idea as to the validity of this, but this was the only guide I could find so far. What I would recommend personally is manually keeping track of the names of the NPCs you encounter in a notepad somewhere so you know which NPCs you've already spoken to, until an actual reliable guide to obtaining Spiritomb goes up somewhere. The comments on this Reddit post might also be helpful for you.

I have no idea as to the validity of this, but this was the only guide I could find so far. What I would recommend personally is manually keeping track of the names of the NPCs you encounter in a notepad somewhere so you know which NPCs you've already spoken to, until an actual reliable guide to obtaining Spiritomb goes up somewhere. The comments on this Reddit post might also be helpful for you.
These are actually extremely helpful! It's basically exactly what I was looking for, since now I can be sure of which ones I still have left to see. Thanks for digging those up! :bulbaLove:

I do hope that a more efficient way to do all this will be discovered/documented soon, if only just because nobody will have to go through all this confusion in the future lol.

Just as an update, I did finally get Spiritomb last night. I was a little closer than 10 NPCs when I made this post, I probably had closer to 5 to go, and at around 28 hours of playtime, I finally got the "Yulaah!"

In addition to combing the central underground area under Eterna/Hearthome several times, I did a lot of force-respawning NPCs in the section of underground under Oreburgh City, this is the area most guides make sure to mention, and for good reason, if you walk in and out of rooms enough time and memorize the possible NPC spawn locations, you can run into new NPCs somewhat quickly, especially if you're lucky, I ran into Leticia like 20 times in a row one time, but I also got new unique NPCs back-to-back, so it's pretty RNG-dependent. I'm just glad that's over with and I can play through the game with my very own Spiritomb. Just for kicks I caught a few duplicates with the Spiritomb exploit.

Spiritomb Exploit Tl;dr:
-if you have autosave on when you catch Spiritomb, right after it autosaves, you can restart your game and you'll still have the Spiritomb you caught but you can catch another, you can do this as many times as you want.

Spiritomb Exploit Tl;dr:
-if you have autosave on when you catch Spiritomb, right after it autosaves, you can restart your game and you'll still have the Spiritomb you caught but you can catch another, you can do this as many times as you want.
Since I'm not a fan of autosave I'll just clone it ^^

It is totally doable with only talking to NPCs. I finally did it yesterday and I am currently using Spiritomb as part of my team.

It is possible to obtain it with just two badges, the NPCs are not restricted to certain areas. They're RNG dependent so you need to enter and reenter the rooms where Pokémon appear to make them reset. It's just that only one NPC appears in each route at a time and each route has a main NPC that will appear 9/10 times. If you keep resetting them you can eventually get all 32, it just takes an unholy amount of time to do it, it took me 15 hours to get Spiritomb with three badges.
It's definitely harder than the originals unless you lived isolated and didn't have anyone to help you.

I have two gym badges and I have 25 hours of playtime, mostly in the underground, which means I have an absurd amount of statues, I've been force-respawning the NPCs you need to talk to to get to the required 32 unique NPCs, I have 400 fossil digging sessions and 137 statue variants logged, I talk to literally every NPC I pass, and I'm still like 10 NPCs short. This is such a ridiculous grind for what should only take a few hours. I just wanted to catch the Spiritomb for my team and use it on my playthrough...

Underground seems to be a lot of grind in general. Really something to consume our time and say the game has a long and lingering post-game.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom