• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

They really need to make the GTS smarter

Most annoying part of the GTS in SM for me so far was trying to get a Celesteela (since I'm playing Sun). You search for Celesteela and it's loads of people offering Celesteela wanting Celesteela in return for it. What is the point?

There should be a rating system or something so you can only ask for something equal to what your asking for,or a separate area to trade ultra's and legendaries.

But after trying to find a Dratini or kangaskhan for an hour I wouldent have minded sending an ultra beast just to get em and stop looking

Most annoying part of the GTS in SM for me so far was trying to get a Celesteela (since I'm playing Sun). You search for Celesteela and it's loads of people offering Celesteela wanting Celesteela in return for it. What is the point?
People hoping to get one with a Nature/IV spread they want? Still sounds annoying, though. Maybe an option to filter out trades like that would be just what we need.

Some ability to 'report' a trade would be nice. The fact that these non-viable trades remain on the system basically forever and start cluttering up the lists of results is part of what makes the GTS annoying. I'm not sure how the details should work, though....

It gets pretty ridiculous when people are requesting things like Dialga and Zekrom, which are impossible to have (right now at least). Besides, the level 5 Pikipek or Zubat that they're offering just isn't worth it.

Why do people even place Zubat on GTS anyway, at least a non-shiny one? Are there people who think, "Oh, I really love that Zubat! I'm gonna give away my Lunaala for that, even though I could catch a million Zubats in the wild!"

It gets pretty ridiculous when people are requesting things like Dialga and Zekrom, which are impossible to have (right now at least). Besides, the level 5 Pikipek or Zubat that they're offering just isn't worth it.

Why do people even place Zubat on GTS anyway, at least a non-shiny one? Are there people who think, "Oh, I really love that Zubat! I'm gonna give away my Lunaala for that, even though I could catch a million Zubats in the wild!"
Could be a giveaway you stumbled upon. Zubat is common trade fodder for GTS giveaways.

In response to this, I think some Pokemon are valuable enough to command a mythical in return. I actually got super excited tonight because I saw a shiny Latias on Gen VI GTS (because I check for it every once in a while since its my favorite shiny) and all they were asking for was a Jirachi, which I have 5 of (4 from this past year's giveaway for my 4 gen VI games) and I was getting super excited that I could finally get my favorite shiny, but then trade was denied because Jirachi is a special Pokemon.

This is very frustrating, if I decide that I value the other Pokemon just as much as my mythical Pokemon, I should be allowed to trade it. There are already ways to filter out trades asking for special Pokemon and to filter to people only asking for Pokemon you own in return, so if trading mythical Pokemon bothers you, just use the filter. I thought it was really useful to have 4 gen VI games so I could get each mythical 4 times and have some available to trade for shinies I wanted, but now it seems like that is basically impossible, unless I ask random people for trades and show them and hope they might have something I want.

Anyway, I think trade restrictions really shouldn't be necessary, just don't be stupid. If someone wants to ask for something they don't deserve, who cares. And who's to say what one person values over another. This is especially true when it comes to shinies, because even a very common Pokemon is still at least somewhat rare as a shiny. I also think a shiny filter would be nice, so it would be easier to check in GTS for shinies.

3 - Reverse search. Select a Pokemon from your box and search for all trades requesting it. Useful for those times where you have something to trade off but aren't really looking for anything specific in return.

I would LOVE THIS OPTION. Sometimes after long bouts of Wonder Trading, I have some cool Pokemon but none of them nicknamed, which makes them worthless to me. I'd gladly give them away if I knew someone on the GTS wanted it. :V

I'm very disappointed with how many vital features are lacking on the GTS. How hard can it possibly be for a player to be able to see a summary screen for deposited pokemon? HA pokes are near impossible to find on the GTS with too much false advertising. A real pain since HAs are pretty annoying to get, especially HA Alolan Geodude. I use the GTS these days just to get dex filler.

I'm very disappointed absolutely nothing has been improved about the GTS too. I know making only 'fair' trades available is just too complicated, so not asking for that.

But I'd really want stuff like:
  • "Only show trades asking for Pokémon you have" should be on by default, I think there's very few people who want to see trades they can't make anyway. Make this default and make "Also show trades asking for Pokémon I don't have" the option.
  • Show all the options in one place. Like you fill in what Pokémon you want in one place, if you want Legendaries/Mythicals to show up in another, and what kind of trades you want to see in again another place. How hard can it be to just put all these options on the first page before starting the search.
  • Would like "Don't show trades with Legendaries/Mythicals" to be on by default too, there's probably more people who want to trade regular mons than Legendaries.
  • Reverse Search, including an option with "Only show Pokémon I don't have" so completing the Pokédex becomes a lot easier than having to search for each mon one by one. It's also just nice to see what I can get for my breedject, Wonder Trade is just too full of garbage.
  • Being able to deposit multiple Pokémon. Not asking for this to be endless, cause that would break the system, but is two or three too much too ask for?
  • A Summary Screen. I absolutely do not understand why this is not a thing yet, it really can't be that hard to show it right and would prevent a lot of unfair trades.
But seeing that Festival Plaza exists, it seems making something practical and efficient is not GF's thing ^^;

They should also make it so that, for example, instead of just only Kingdras, you can send in a Seadra + King's Rock if a Kingdra is what the other person wants.

This.
When you deposit Pokémon, you should be able to ask for a Pokémon with a certain held item, else trading your Porygon would be useless.
You can ask for the evolved form, but some people would still make silly demands.

A part of me wants to spend $20 on an Action Replay just so I can hack a level 1 Mewtwo with 0 IVs in all stats and an Quirky nature and give it to these folks who want to give a measly Gumshoos or Ratatta in return.

I used the GTS a lot when I was filling my 'dex and it was frustrating to get the message "Sorry, this Pokemon has already been traded." Why still have it up for trade, then??

The GTS is worthless for any other endeavor other than getting a foreign Ditto to Masuda method a shiny Pokemon. I never use it to breed for competitive-ready Pokemon. It's not worth it.

Last edited:
A part of me wants to spend $20 on an Action Replay just so I can hack a level 1 Mewtwo with 0 IVs in all stats and an Quirky nature and give it to these folks who want to give a measly Gumshoos or Ratatta in return.
That makes it two of us 8D

One thing I thought of that would help streamline the GTS: If when you deposited a Pokemon, and there was already a trade up that meets your conditions, and you meet theirs, it'd automatically make that trade. It'd help streamline the system.

Also, take away that "you can't tread this Pokemon, it's special" bullcrap. If you're still gonna let people ask for them, let us deliver if we think of it as worth it.

Also, in my eyes putting Pokemon into "tiers" or giving some kind of value system to the trades is an effort in futility. Since specific Pokemon have different values to different people. I may see a trade that you think is reasonable as bloody ridiculous. There would invariably be dissatisfaction to that system, since it would refuse a trade you may think is reasonable.

A Summary Screen. I absolutely do not understand why this is not a thing yet, it really can't be that hard to show it right and would prevent a lot of unfair trades.

This is probably the best thing they can do to improve the GTS and I also don't understand why this isn't a thing yet either, it would completely remove the smokescreen behind GTS trades and you could actually verify what you're actually getting and search for more detailed things like stats, natures, and abilities. You'd think it would be common sense to include this, but clearly Game Freak is lacking in common sense.

One thing I thought of that would help streamline the GTS: If when you deposited a Pokemon, and there was already a trade up that meets your conditions, and you meet theirs, it'd automatically make that trade. It'd help streamline the system.
With how quick some of my 'Sun exclusive for Moon exclusive' trades go, I wonder if this is not already a thing, and goes someway to explaining why the system is so clogged with heavily biased trades: no one's offering a Mewtwo for a Rattata.

A Summary Screen. I absolutely do not understand why this is not a thing yet, it really can't be that hard to show it right and would prevent a lot of unfair trades;

I have a theory. But you're not gonna like it.

The GTS is designed to be inclusive. That much we know, for its purpose was to help people who don't have friends get the pokemon they want faster, and to help facilitate trades with other countries. But what it it tries to be inclusive in a sense more fitting with Karen's ideology. To that end it would seem like the GTS would only show the most basic information. Nickname, item and species, with the filters being for gender (for the pokemon) and to remove those asking for Mythicals and Box Mascots, and to limit the results to those matching or not matching certain parameters (mainly the location of origin and and a limit to what pokemon you have in game). There is no way to view competitive knowledge because GF might see that as going against the spirit of the GTS. Likewise this might also be the motive to limiting further, as the 4th incarnation doesn't show markings on the pokemon and limits messages to predetermined ones, forbidding you from requesting anything beyond gender (like say IVs and HA) or from saying if it has anything of competitive vaule like those 2 things.

There's another element of communication as well. It can be assume that if you can use the GTS, you have internet, and that means you have access toa browser. From there it can be assume that GF's intention on that front would be hoping that fans would set up their own trade communities (the trading boards here and on other fansites, r/pokemontrades and affiliated subreddits, etc.) and that players lookign for anything more specific would try to go and make an offer on those forums, and then use the Link features to trade.

All of this means that the GTS might be this way by design, and not by ignorance.

Alternatively, they might also assume that people looking to get into competitive might be willing to breed by themselves and that they would be satisfied with any pokemon as a starting point, which would explain why they didn't obscure the pokeball or shiny models, but fails to take into account Ditto's popularity in this aspect (and that you need a pokemon with a HA to breed a pokemon with an HA)

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom