• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

They show it to Ash, but never let him have it

Srebak

Reaction score
The Pokemon franchise has always made a big deal of Pokemon like Dragonite, Lucario (though those two became common pokemon to have by this point), Ghost-types, Psychic-Types, Houndour and Houndoom, and has made a big deal of the concept of Mega-Evolution. Yet while Ash has seen all of the mentioned stuff, they remain out of his reach

Every time a Dragonite, a Lucario, a Ghost-types, a Psychic-Types or a Mega Evolution is seen, they're either something Ash is helping for the sake of the episode's plot or something he's battling against. Why can't he have a Dragonite or a Lucario, Iris and Cameron both had them. He doesn't even get an Eevee or one of its evolutions, they're always something he just encounters but never gets to have. Would it really be so bad if he had a permanent ghost-type or psychic-type, it's not like they're really treated as being that rare or powerful anymore. Why not let Ash have a Mega Evolution (still not sure Ash-Greninja really counts), he has four pokemon capable of doing it. He doesn't need to bring them all in, he just needs one and he only has five Pokemon with him as it is.

In fact, Ash having these pokemon could have made for a great deal of interesting story lines; Ash having a Riolu first could have gone in a similar vein as Treeko's story arc from Advanced, and a psychic or ghost type pokemon in his care could have been given a more mischievous personality to keep them interesting. Ash could have had a story arc of his own about how difficult mega evolution was and how hard it is to adapt to. Even if Ash had a Persian, he could have had a story arc about how he was starting to get through to Persian's real personality and made it brush aside its snooty and fickle attributes and show what it was really made of.

Do people actually not understand the anime that they're watching (some people for many, many years)? It is fundamentally different from the games, in that a regular 10yo boy doesn't just get outta bed one morning and then 50hrs later be the region's champion and owner of the one-of-a-kind legendary Mewtwo. The anime has always been 99% about regular struggles of a regular guy, and unlike in fanfiction, most regular guys don't end up with extraordinary pokemon.

Yes, ghost and psychic types have been de-hyped over the years. He hasn't yet caught one, but what makes anyone think that that means he never will? Some people probably had fatal strokes when Satoshi caught a dragon, a previously "banned" type.

If any of you wanna experience the joys of Lucario, just catch one on your GameBoy and go wild.
Also, I'm sorry to say that I don't think any of the interesting storylines suggested sound any more interesting than the stories we already see every week.

Do people actually not understand the anime that they're watching (some people for many, many years)? It is fundamentally different from the games, in that a regular 10yo boy doesn't just get outta bed one morning and then 50hrs later be the region's champion and owner of the one-of-a-kind legendary Mewtwo. The anime has always been 99% about regular struggles of a regular guy, and unlike in fanfiction, most regular guys don't end up with extraordinary pokemon.

Agreed. I always get annoyed when people go on and on about how much better Red is than Ash. The point of the anime is not and never was for Ash to become the Champion. That's his goal, obviously, but the anime itself is about his travels and the bonds he forms with his Pokémon. It's like comparing apples and oranges. If you stop to think about it, the premise of a child being able to defeat the Pokémon League Champion who has trained for years with his/her Pokémon is ridiculous. It was never Ash's skill as a Trainer that made him unique - it's his determination and love for all Pokémon.

Every time a Dragonite, a Lucario, a Ghost-types, a Psychic-Types or a Mega Evolution is seen, they're either something Ash is helping for the sake of the episode's plot or something he's battling against. Why can't he have a Dragonite or a Lucario, Iris and Cameron both had them. He doesn't even get an Eevee or one of its evolutions, they're always something he just encounters but never gets to have. Would it really be so bad if he had a permanent ghost-type or psychic-type, it's not like they're really treated as being that rare or powerful anymore. Why not let Ash have a Mega Evolution (still not sure Ash-Greninja really counts), he has four pokemon capable of doing it. He doesn't need to bring them all in, he just needs one and he only has five Pokemon with him as it is.

In fact, Ash having these pokemon could have made for a great deal of interesting story lines; Ash having a Riolu first could have gone in a similar vein as Treeko's story arc from Advanced, and a psychic or ghost type pokemon in his care could have been given a more mischievous personality to keep them interesting. Ash could have had a story arc of his own about how difficult mega evolution was and how hard it is to adapt to. Even if Ash had a Persian, he could have had a story arc about how he was starting to get through to Persian's real personality and made it brush aside its snooty and fickle attributes and show what it was really made of.

I can't see Ash owning either a Dragonite or a Lucario, especially not when Iris already has a Dragonite and he's already met several Lucario over the course of his journey. They even had an entire story arc about a Trainer getting through to Dragonite's feelings - doesn't matter whether or not it was Ash, that storyline did happen. I do agree that the "Ash" stories are getting stale and I'd like to see some improvement, but at this point I watch XY mostly for Clemont/Bonnie/Serena-centered stories anyway.

As for the Mega Evolution, I'm honestly okay with the fact that Ash doesn't have a Mega Stone, because like I said, Clemont, Serena, and Bonnie all have story arcs of their own, far more than Ash does (if he even has one at all by this point). It's not so much Ash's story as theirs. Either way, with the Mega Evolution, the only Pokémon that it wouldn't be awkward for Ash to bring back and Mega Evolve is Charizard, and Charizard already came back for the end of BW. It would be way too random for Sceptile, Glalie, or Heracross to come back all of a sudden. I'm not going to deny that I really wanted to see a Charizardite Y find its way to Ash so that he and Alain could have a Charizard X-Charizard Y showdown, but it's pretty obvious by now that it's not going to happen.

That said, I do agree that it would be a welcome change for more Ash-central plots to begin emerging, ones that actually contribute to his growth and development as a Trainer, but I don't think it's necessary for him to get any of the hyped-up stuff to make it happen.

I just like how Dragonite is one of the go-to Pokemon to give a trainer whenever they want to show the audience how badass they are.

Like, whoa, that guy's got a Dragonite! Instantly you know they're an experienced, hard-edge trainer.

Or Professor Oak lol.

I do love what the people said above about how the anime is different and I do really like that Ash doesn't just all the best Pokemon and is the best ever BUT for argument's sake, he had a Larvitar (although never his) and a Gible and didn't train them much, so I kinda wonder why he didn't train those, because they could have been the super strong Pokemon he "never" seems to have (although I don't think this is true because the anime has shown the super strong doesn't really mean the base stats we are used to in the game, but really a strong bond and the ability to work hard, etc.) I don't know if I want him to get a mega or not, but it sure is fun to speculate on whether or not he will. I enjoyed speculating when we saw that poster with Sawyer's Sceptile for the first time and could wonder if it was Ash's, and I'm sure speculation will continue, but if Ash gets too good, the show wouldn't have any drama and it wouldn't be as enjoyable. People above I would say be careful about totally shutting down the arguments, because thats what makes this show so fun is that everyone has a different opinion on what they think will happen/want to see happen and being able to speculate is the point of this site.

oranges. If you stop to think about it, the premise of a child being able to defeat the Pokémon League Champion who has trained for years with his/her Pokémon is ridiculous. It was never Ash's skill as a Trainer that made him unique - it's his determination and love for all Pokémon.

...Funny you said Oranges. I don't want to criticize what you're saying because I totally agree, but remember the Orange Islands and Drake? It was pretty ridiculous Ash won that battle, and I'm glad that doesn't happen all the time because it isn't realistic, but that DID happen in this anime.

...Funny you said Oranges. I don't want to criticize what you're saying because I totally agree, but remember the Orange Islands and Drake? It was pretty ridiculous Ash won that battle, and I'm glad that doesn't happen all the time because it isn't realistic, but that DID happen in this anime.

The Orange Islands was a filler season anyway, but yeah, I definitely agree that I have a hard time believing Ash would be able to defeat Drake. I'm okay with it in this case though because it's a much more Battle Frontier-ish thing than the conferences that happen in all the other sagas. If it's more a series of challenges than an actual tournament, I think it'd be kind of a letdown if Ash didn't win it in the end.

It's so Ash can be an underdog and overcome opponents using the Power of Faith and Friendship™

Besides, I like them saving up the Lucario and Dragonite lines and Mega-Evolutions for special guest characters and special occasions.

^ So that means Ash Ketchum is no any special identity, despite that he is the protagonist of the show. How funny.

^ So that means Ash Ketchum is no any special identity, despite that he is the protagonist of the show. How funny.
And why do you think he is a special identity after all? He is just as good a main character as Serena or Iris or Dawn or Misty Or Tracey or (OK, I'll stop now!). (I am sorry I can't usually stand comments that seem to keep Ash in high esteem while his travel mates must look for shelter to shield from his Dazzling Gleam. :sick::sick:)

I won't lie, but I would like him to get a Riolu and maybe work with his Aura more like in a future region or when he's older. now that I said that I'm good. :D #TeamAsh!

In my opinion the Anime has always been about Ash's journey with Pikachu. though it's hard seeing our favorite supporting main characters leave and all that, fact is that they do leave and nothing we can do will change that (at least that I know of) but the one thing that hasn't changed is that Ash continues on to every new region and I for one am glad of it. I want him to have more plots and stories focused on him more and there is still so much the writers can do with him. I have a hard time understanding why he gets so much hate but if he's going to keep continuing to do so then I'll just make sure he get double the amount of love to override the hate. :D

I won't lie, but I would like him to get a Riolu and maybe work with his Aura more like in a future region or when he's older. now that I said that I'm good. :D #TeamAsh!

In my opinion the Anime has always been about Ash's journey with Pikachu. though it's hard seeing our favorite supporting main characters leave and all that, fact is that they do leave and nothing we can do will change that (at least that I know of) but the one thing that hasn't changed is that Ash continues on to every new region and I for one am glad of it. I want him to have more plots and stories focused on him more and there is still so much the writers can do with him. I have a hard time understanding why he gets so much hate but if he's going to keep continuing to do so then I'll just make sure he get double the amount of love to override the hate. :D
That sounded really interesting I will take that! #TeamAsh!

But, according to the second movie, Ash is the Chosen One. Surely they could do Something with that? or is that saved for the movies? which kinda sucks for ash.
"Hey, I saved the world!" "Sorry dude, that was a different part of the world..."

Aside from the fact that I'm pretty sure the chosen one stuff in m2 was dub added, that shtick is the cringeworthiest card they can play. Why can't Satoshi just be a normal, ambitious little boy?! Isn't it enough that he manages to coincidentally defeat every evil team, meet every legendary and become the apple of every Champion's eye?!!????!

Only thing I felt should've happened was either Mega Sceptile of Mega Charizard Y, Ash worked pretty hard with those two and an interesting story couldve been developed IMO if either was brought back for Mega Evolution. It wouldve been a nice balance of continuity, adding more to something already established in Ash's trainer career.

the say I see the producers want ash to be the underdog so they can't afford to give him powerful Pokémon but they can still tease us with it

There are 721 Pokemon, Ash wont get them all.

Also, he's had plenty of Pokemon. You're watching the wrong show if you want to see Ash wreck everything and at least he saves the world 50+ times and at least you see these Pokemon doing badass stuff.

Would it be ool if Ash got some of these Pokemon? of course! but he gets what he's given.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom