• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Things in Pokemon that don't make sense

Reaction score
i don't understand why lugia isn't a water type
That's a good point. I suppose the best explanation is that it's Water qualities aren't prominent enough. A Pokemon's primary type would be based on what type qualities are strongest, and the secondary type would be, well, the runner up. But Pokemon can still have elements of a third type, like Lapras. Lapras is a Water and Ice type, and yet it can communicate psychically. So it has Psychic type traits. But those traits aren't enough to classify it as Psychic, not over either it's Water type qualities or Ice type qualities.

I suppose then that Lugia's Psychic and Flying type qualities are just too prominent, and whatever water traits it does have aren't enough to give it full on Water type status over the other two. Now whether or not that explanation works...

Reaction score
yea i get what you're saying but it's still the guardian of the sea that sounds like instant water type to me

█▄ █▄█ █▇ █ █▀█
Reaction score
yea i get what you're saying but it's still the guardian of the sea that sounds like instant water type to me
If you take a look at Lugia's learnset (ignoring the Normal-type moves), it learns 3 Psychic moves, 3 Flying moves, 2 Water moves, and 1 of Dragon, Rock, and Dark moves. If you take a look at the TM and HM moves (ignoring Normal-type moves again), it can learn 8 Psychic moves, 4 Water moves, and a bunch of other stuff. Like what reynard said, the other two types are way dominant over water (Psychic moves>Water moves; Can fly, has wings).

And I'm also betting the term "Guardian of the Sea" is just what Lugia is colloquially known as.

Reaction score
In addition to my earlier "how to Water types resist Ice attack damage" question, I have a few more. How is it that Water types take more damage from Grass type attacks? I get the other way around, that Grass types resist water damage. Plants may like water being thrown at them (although you can over water a plant). But what is it about Grass type attacks that ends up doing more damage that usual to a Water type body? It is just that Grass types can get around water attacks, so they are able to hit more?

Also, why does it seem like most Fire type Pokemon learn Fire Spin before Flamethrower. Okay, I get that some attacks use the same kind of skills. I could understand not being able to use some attacks. Pokemon grow too, and young Fire types may not have grown enough to produce a solid jet of flame. So maybe they would learn something like Ember first, like May's Torchick. That was a punch of small flames. But why Fire Spin before Flamethrower? It seems backwards. Fire Spin involves taking a jet of flame and making it go in a spiral motion. Wouldn't you have to learn how to produce a jet of flame in straight line (Flamethrower) before you cold even try making it spin? Wouldn't Flamethrower be first because it is easier? Some Fire types like Vulpix don't do that, but it just bothers me.

Lord Servine
Reaction score
I can understand Reshiram being able to fly with it's lightweight [relative] frame and booster in its tail.

But Zekrom? Does he use the friction of the air or something?

█▄ █▄█ █▇ █ █▀█
Reaction score
I can understand Reshiram being able to fly with it's lightweight [relative] frame and booster in its tail.

But Zekrom? Does he use the friction of the air or something?
Bulbapedia said:
Zekrom's tail contains a generator that produces energy for its Electric-based attacks and emits a sort of anti-gravity field which enables it to float and fly through the skies with minimal effects from aerodynamic resistance and the planet's gravity.

Reaction score
That children can actually afford to travel the world and that they have everything they need in those small backpacks that they carry around....

Battle? FC 0776 8124 7545
Reaction score
I don't understand why there is no wifi battling option for pokemon conquest.

Reaction score
1) How come you can't catch a Pokemon even if it fainted?

2) Even if your Pokemon use moves like Earthquake, the Player character won't get hurt

3) You're using a Legendary Pokemon in a battle, yet no one seems to say anything

4) Even though the Pokedex says certain Pokemon are temperamental or despise humans, you can still get one with a Jolly nature; or a Pokemon that would slowly warm up to you.

5) The Professors telling you that you may not use certain Key Items. Were they spying on me?