• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things in Pokemon that don't make sense

I always wondered (and still do sometimes) how an escape rope works.

Simple. Pictotechnology, manipulation the very particles that make up the atom to move the player out of a cave by GPS signals. The rope is actually very inefficient at doing this job and thus requires at least several yards of it.

As for ropes, they clearly are highly advanced technology with teleportation technology.
Simple. Pictotechnology, manipulation the very particles that make up the atom to move the player out of a cave by GPS signals. The rope is actually very inefficient at doing this job and thus requires at least several yards of it.
Sounds good enough of an explanation to me.

How in the olden days if Pokemon hatched at level 5
I kind of miss those days.

How can a golem--who lacks a mouth--eat a berry in order to restore its HP? What am I doing, shoving Oran Berries in the holes near my Golett's arms? Does...not...compute...!

You crush the berry and you extract the juices in the berry. Then all you have to do is pour the juice over the Pokemon and there you have it.

The whole thing with splash... Pokemon that learn it, learn it when it is weak. put weak in the tearms of younger. think of weak, or young, pokemon as babies. babies cant pull something complicated off so they sit and make noises and maybe roll around. what can those weak pokemon do? not much at their age.. thats my opinion anyways..

How could a Pokemon pull down a meteor from space using Draco Meteor?

If you follow the anime, it creates an energy (Special attack) meteor that explodes in midair.

Why can't Nidorina/queen breed? If it was a glitch from GS, why wasn't it fixed?

If you follow the anime, it creates an energy (Special attack) meteor that explodes in midair.

Why can't Nidorina/queen breed? If it was a glitch from GS, why wasn't it fixed?

I think this is something that everybody probably ignores in fanfic. If it was a glitch or something, then I guess the game company isn't admitting it. And it doesn't make sense. How come the male variety is able to breed in what is essentially the teenage and adult stage, and yet the female can't? Isn't that rather unfair to the females? And would that mean that in order for Nidorans to breed, they would have to lay eggs when they are still in their first stage? Oh yeah game, that's a brilliant idea, force them to lay eggs in their first stages, the ones that are least able to defend their children from predators, unlike their adult stages.

Here's something else: How is Gyarados a secondary Flying type? A Water type makes sense, but how is it a secondary Flying type? How does it have any physical features that would indicate Flying type? Based on attacks, it only knows one Flying move, Bounce, which really isn't much. And that came in during Gen IV, but Gyarados has always been Water/Flying. If anything, Gyarados should be Water/Dragon.

WHY? Typing needs to make some sort of sense. WHY?

Here's something else: How is Gyarados a secondary Flying type? A Water type makes sense, but how is it a secondary Flying type? How does it have any physical features that would indicate Flying type? Based on attacks, it only knows one Flying move, Bounce, which really isn't much. And that came in during Gen IV, but Gyarados has always been Water/Flying. If anything, Gyarados should be Water/Dragon.

WHY? Typing needs to make some sort of sense. WHY?

The Idea is that Gyarados is the Evolution of a 'Karp' that Aspires to be a Dragon.
But you can't just be a Dragon just because you want to be.
In Evolutionary-terms, Gyarados developed it's Flying Type in it's quest to ascend,
because Dragon is not a type that one can so easy just take on, as though it has a choice.
So, Sea Serpent is the closest it managed to achieve.

It's inspired by the Story of how a carp who learned to "Fly" could make it over a wall (or gate) and thus become a Dragon.

Oh, okay. Still, even with that in mind it doesn't totally make sense, because despite the inspiration, Gyarados doesn't seem to show any particular qualities that would make anybody classify it as a Flying type, even secondarily.

Oh, okay. Still, even with that in mind it doesn't totally make sense, because despite the inspiration, Gyarados doesn't seem to show any particular qualities that would make anybody classify it as a Flying type, even secondarily.

It's implied.

Kind of like Chinese Dragons who fly with no apparent means to do so.

And like Mantine, who are Water/flying when their "flying" aspect is more akin to Flying Fish,
Used only to breach the surface for a short time
(though, with Mantine, they have considerable "Hang-time.")

Also, it's highly implied that Gyarados have been known to "fly" in myths about it,
though it has not been shown in the Anime, while Mantine has been shown to "fly" above the water.

I am of the headcanon that the reason Nidorina and Nidoqueen cannot breed is because they are "too spiky to mount," if you know what I'm saying. Nidoran F can breed, though, so perhaps she's less spiny? Makes sense to me.

How Pokemon don't die from being electrocuted, burned, cursed, blown-up, hit in the heads with rocks, whacked by something that can level a mountain, falling into a rift in space, poisoned, sliced, bitten, eaten, and hit with highly corrosive acid. I know they're supposed to resist it, but are their bones harder than diamond?
Maybe during battles, Pokemon naturally hold back their full strength in order to avoid killing their opponents? Most battles are friendly, after all. Or maybe they're a lot sturdier than the animals in our world, or humans. Well, maybe the humans are sturdier, as well; look at how some of them can handle Pokemon attacks (anime physics aside; don't forget how, in GSC, Lance's Dragonite used Hyper Beam on a Team Rocket member and they lived).

Minimum age, and this can be explained in some other thread, idr where it is.. ANYWAY! The theory was that kids can be trainers at any age, but there is an age you must be to enter the league and have a trainer card. The whole "Muse Be 10" rule is only in the anime. We don't know how old most of the player characters are, possibly between 11-12, but the preschoolers can have Pokemon, just not battle Gym Leaders, or the E4.
Actually, I like that theory. Perhaps the preschoolers are just using their parents'/older siblings' Pokemon? Especially for those preschoolers with the lv 60-something 'mons.

I was always under the impression that they used their noses when they used Slash and Aerial Ace, so those noses must be mighty sharp.
They can learn Hone Claws as well.
I used to think that some of the dirt around Diglett's body was its feet/paws, and that hidden in its paws were retractable claws. Then, I found a PokéMeme that suggested that Diglett's "dirt" is actually its "foot" (sort of like how a snail only has one foot). I think I'm going to combine the two and say that Diglett has one "foot" that it uses to move, but that part of its "dirt" is indeed its paws with retractable claws.

The question is, does Dugtrio have individual sets of "paws" or does it share its whole body whilst having three heads, like Dodrio?

On an unrelated note, I'm still trying to figure out how battles work underwater when you use Dive. How can you even use Fire-attacks underwater? I heard in some canon (manga, maybe?) that the trainer and Diving 'mon are surrounded in a bubble, which explains their ability to breathe; do wild Pokemon enter the bubble, and that's how you can easily do battle with them? That seems to make a little bit of sense, considering I doubt the series has anything else to say on the matter.

Minimum age, and this can be explained in some other thread, idr where it is.. ANYWAY! The theory was that kids can be trainers at any age, but there is an age you must be to enter the league and have a trainer card. The whole "Muse Be 10" rule is only in the anime. We don't know how old most of the player characters are, possibly between 11-12, but the preschoolers can have Pokemon, just not battle Gym Leaders, or the E4.
Actually, I like that theory. Perhaps the preschoolers are just using their parents'/older siblings' Pokemon? Especially for those preschoolers with the lv 60-something 'mons.

On an unrelated note, I'm still trying to figure out how battles work underwater when you use Dive. How can you even use Fire-attacks underwater? I heard in some canon (manga, maybe?) that the trainer and Diving 'mon are surrounded in a bubble, which explains their ability to breathe; do wild Pokemon enter the bubble, and that's how you can easily do battle with them? That seems to make a little bit of sense, considering I doubt the series has anything else to say on the matter.

About the age thing: I agree with you there in a way. The way I see it, you need a license to possess a Pokemon, that's sensible, like how we have pet licenses. And considering how powerful Pokemon can be, I can easily imagine a governing body wanting to establish a license system for that.

And the whole "10 years old" requirement is the legal limit to get your license, just like we have age requirements for driver's licenses. If a kid younger than 10 has a Pokemon, I would think it is because their parent or guardian got a license for them. So while it is still technically the kid's Pokemon, legally, responsibility for the Pokemon would fall to that parent or guardian, since the name on paper is that of the parent or guardian. And then when the kid turns 10, they can apply for a license in their own name, so then they can claim full responsibility and ownership for the Pokemon. And the license is also needed to compete in a League tournament or challenge a Gym for a badge, so on and so forth.

As for the underwater fighting, you're right. Fire attacks would not work underwater, as the water would block all the free oxygen needed to light and maintain any blast of fire. And considering that many fire types generate flames externally, being in water would seriously hurt them (and for Charmander, could outright kill it). The only way to set water on fire is to drop potassium on it or any other element in the same column of the periodic table. Those elements react with water and release hydrogen gas, and the energy of the reaction is enough to set off the gas, so you end up with fire on top of water, but only on top. I imagine the games simplify things, but in a realistic setting the trainer would be stuck on land.

Using an invisible warp string that tears through the fabric of space-time. It grabs several asteroids (only small ones as larger ones cannot fit in the rip) and warps them through to the battlefield. If they run out of small asteroids, it will use rocks from the ground.

Using an invisible warp string that tears through the fabric of space-time. It grabs several asteroids (only small ones as larger ones cannot fit in the rip) and warps them through to the battlefield. If they run out of small asteroids, it will use rocks from the ground.

Well, that's pretty much how I've been explaining it...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom