• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things in Pokemon that don't make sense

People have said that Lemonade cost $300. It's comparable to Yen, which makes 300 relatively cheap.

I have one thing that I can't really comprehend - this meme explains it all.
tumblr_m6wq49bmHg1r5a8p3o1_500.jpg

And I mean seriously, it's said to have created the universe how can you even capture it wtf

Magikarp can only learn Splash. In HG/SS, it can follow you around. How the f**k does it keep up with you and not be able to at least use a weak Tackle by slamming into the foe? It also says Magikarp can flop its way over mountains. How, then, can it not learn Bounce?

Azurill is a Normal type but its evolutions are Water types.
Why isn't Azurill a Water type to begin with?

The fact that it's dangerous to go in the tall grass without a pokemon and yet it's perfectly okay for a young kid to take down an entire evil organization. XD

I didn't actually know about that. Why can't it learn it in the real world? I mean, some DW moves make sense that you can't learn them IGW(In Game World)-Misdreavus learning Inferno, for example. Most of the time, Misdreavus aren't pyrokinetic. Apparently, DW ones are.

Frankly, Nothing about the Dream World makes sense.
(The whole concept seams half-baked and Lazily done.)

As for Bounce, it's the most logical Adaptation of Splash into an Offensive Attack.
Makes sense that not every Magikarp can learn it so easily.

Azurill is a Normal type but its evolutions are Water types.
Why isn't Azurill a Water type to begin with?

Hmm, that's a really good question. The information about it says that it is relatively weak, and it may not swim very well if it has to use its tail as a floatation device. A water type would be defined as a creature that manipulates water as a weapon, with the standard weapon being Water Gun, provided by an internal pump organ common for the type. A Normal type, IMO, is a Pokemon that doesn't specialize in using any of the weapons used by other types, like an "other" category or "none of the above".

Most of the moves it knows naturally are Normal type moves, and for most of its history, it acquired Water Gun rather late. So based on moves alone I can see the Normal type, but in the Pokemon universe... it doesn't make sense. The fact of the matter is that Azurill can still use Water Gun, so it has the pluming for it, and therefore the set of genes that define "Water types". I could understand it not learning Water Gun right away. To me, something like that should be instinctual to the type, but a baby Pokemon may not be able to use it right away because its organs may not have developed enough, the same way human babies can't walk until their legs get stronger and more coordinated with age, even though as humans they are born with the capacity to walk. So on a genetic basis, it should at least be classified as a Water/Normal type.

And I mean seriously, it's said to have created the universe how can you even capture it wtf

I assume they let you capture it because people would be throwing a fit otherwise. :p

Hmm, that's a really good question. The information about it says that it is relatively weak, and it may not swim very well if it has to use its tail as a floatation device. A water type would be defined as a creature that manipulates water as a weapon, with the standard weapon being Water Gun, provided by an internal pump organ common for the type. A Normal type, IMO, is a Pokemon that doesn't specialize in using any of the weapons used by other types, like an "other" category or "none of the above".

Most of the moves it knows naturally are Normal type moves, and for most of its history, it acquired Water Gun rather late. So based on moves alone I can see the Normal type, but in the Pokemon universe... it doesn't make sense. The fact of the matter is that Azurill can still use Water Gun, so it has the pluming for it, and therefore the set of genes that define "Water types". I could understand it not learning Water Gun right away. To me, something like that should be instinctual to the type, but a baby Pokemon may not be able to use it right away because its organs may not have developed enough, the same way human babies can't walk until their legs get stronger and more coordinated with age, even though as humans they are born with the capacity to walk. So on a genetic basis, it should at least be classified as a Water/Normal type.

Not to mention that Azurill live near water and splash around in water daily, so it makes even less sense as to why it's not part Water.

I assume they let you capture it because people would be throwing a fit otherwise. :p

Not to mention that Azurill live near water and splash around in water daily, so it makes even less sense as to why it's not part Water.

Good point on the Azurill thing. I suppose it's one of those things about the franchise that we can place in the "I reject your reality, and substitute my own" category along with Nidorina and Nidoqueen being unable to breed.

As I have been trying to figure how type resistance really works, this one has been bothering me a lot. How is it that Water types are resistant to damage from Ice type attacks? The typical Ice type attack is Ice Beam, right?

Okay, I get that many Water types can also use Ice Beam, but how is it that they resist damage from Ice attacks? Ice attacks freeze water. It should put Water types at a disadvantage, since they manipulate water for offense and defense. And they certainly can't use their natural environment to help them like with how they could resist Fire type damage. Can anybody help?

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom