• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things in pokemon that dont make sense

Mythicalzoe

Reaction score
Discuss some of the logic twisting aspects of our beloved franchise.

Trade evolutions are nonsense.What if the trainer never trades then what?

James's Weepinbell evolving in Cassidy and Butch's Daycare.
James's second Weepinbell evolving.
DNA splicers not usable on Blastoise and Venusaur or the Legendary Birds.
4Kids not censoring out the Cider bottle Psyduck opens in a Christmas short.
Charmander, Cyndaquil and Fennekin not evolving into a Fire/Fighting type.

I've got a few.

- Kangaskhan is just born with a baby in its pouch and has no pre-evo. Like... what?

- Incenses. Why do you need an incense to get something's naturally younger form?

- How they say their names in the anime. It just doesn't seem realistic, and doesn't make them feel like actual creatures. Just like... some kind of contrived form of cartoon, really. I'm sure they do it so the children can remember their names 'cause there's so many of them. In any case, it's not canon in my headcanon.

- Nidorina and Nidoqueen can't breed for some reason. Why haven't they fixed that yet?

- Genderless Legendaries that look like visible biological creatures. I think they should just have randomized genders like any other Pokemon. Heatran does it, after all. Why not the others?

There are countless more, but I can't think of them at the moment. So if I think of any more, I'll post them.

I've got a few.

- Kangaskhan is just born with a baby in its pouch and has no pre-evo. Like... what?

- Incenses. Why do you need an incense to get something's naturally younger form?
What happens I think with Kangaskan is the baby turns into an egg and metamorphosizes into an adult like a caterpillar to butterfly (RL animals similar to Caterpie and Butterfree), the adult can produce a baby through asexual reproduction if she doesn't have one. The reason the baby only turns into an egg through breeding is because the baby's parents need to create the eggshell.

Another similar theory of mine is that the baby only carries half the chromosomes of an adult Kangaskan (and anything in the same egggroup), the mother can produce these when she doesn't have one (like in my above theory) in a similar manner to male humans and animals in real life produce sperm, except one at a time. The father provides the other half of the chromosomes (again, in a similar manner to humans and animals) and the two halves become an egg (like a female mammal's egg and male mammal's sperm becoming a fetus) and the egg develops and hatches into the adult form just like any other non evolving Pokemon's egg.

As for incenses, I think it's based on humans using incenses to set the mood for baby making. In the Pokemon's case however, not setting the right mood for baby making means they'll make an adult/adolescent instead.
Imagine the pain for your Snorlax as she produces a full size Snorlax egg ><. Do your Pokemon a favor and make sure to remember Incenses everyone!

Magically turning strange elemental creatures into energy that can go inside a ball capsule.

10 year old kids getting sent on a journey into a region with a huge organized crime syndicate.

Pokémon doesn't have to make sense. :p

Banette's Pokedex description. Somewhere in the Pokemon world, a doll company is making millions selling an infinite number of dolls that all look exactly the same; conveniently enough all of these dolls are discarded at some point in time and then they get mad.

Don't get me wrong, I love Banette and the concept around it. It just doesn't make any sense when you really think about it. xD

Also Nosepass. just... Nosepass. Nothing about this thing makes any sense.

Why Steel is weak to Fighting. I'm sure there is a reason for it, but it's something I don't know of. I'm pretty sure if I were to punch or kick a piece of steel, I'd severely hurt myself.

One of the biggest mysteries to me is how wild pokémon recover when they faint. We know that caught pokemon are ko'd when they faint and don't spontaneously recover, so how do wild pokemon do it?

Another one for me is why pokeballs are so cheap but fresh water is so expensive. It's not even water that is specifically safe for human consumption, pokemon can presumably drink from any reasonably clean river so why can't you just take a canteen a fill it up?

Why don't people die of poisoning when they hang out with Gastly?

4Kids not censoring out the Cider bottle Psyduck opens in a Christmas short.
Charmander, Cyndaquil and Fennekin not evolving into a Fire/Fighting type.

Actually, I'm fairly certain that several cartoons I watched as a kid included drunk characters or featured characters drinking for comedic effect (also, drinking on special occasions, like characters popping champagne or fantastical equivalents of it). It's just cider, watching a pokémon drink it for comedic effect won't turn kids into alcoholics.

Why should those starters be partially fighting? There's already a Fire/Fighting pokémon, it makes no sense to force all fire starters to be fire/fighting even when it would be awkward with their designs.

Trade evolutions are nonsense.What if the trainer never trades then what?

I think that pokemon evolve whenever there are significant moments in their life, like due to time and experience or otherwise important events, and that in the game levels exist more out of convenience than anything. In real life, we grow and learn from our experiences. You don't magically get over your teenage mindset on the morning of your 18th birthday (and I know way too many people who are much older than 18 and still act and think like teenagers :dodgy:), but it's easier to pick that date for legal purposes.

So in the case of evolutions by trade, beyond it being an incentive to convince your friends to play with you, it could mean that being passed on to a new trainer is a significant event for that pokemon for whatever reason. It would be kind of cool if they tied it up with characteristics that pokemon has, like pokemon of a species that would be more dependent on humans or whatever ascribing more importance to being traded than less domesticated kind of pokemon, if this makes sense.

Gardevoir being either gender
Hatching giant Pokemon from eggs. Like when you hatch a Snorlax or a Lapras.

-You cannot punch Ghosts but licking and biting them (no innuendo intended) is an effective way of dealing with them. Also, digging a rock is more effective than digging a plant.

-How Hippowdon is able to produce endless sand from its body.

-How Iris gets around in that dress.

I've got a few.
- How they say their names in the anime. It just doesn't seem realistic, and doesn't make them feel like actual creatures. Just like... some kind of contrived form of cartoon, really. I'm sure they do it so the children can remember their names 'cause there's so many of them. In any case, it's not canon in my headcanon.

Yup, I agree. I found it a lot better when the Pokemon made sounds instead of their name in Pokemon Origins.

Another thing that doesn't make sense is when taking a Photo in Pokemon X and Y in the sea (I forget it's location) even though you aren't riding a Lapras in the photo you're on a Lapras.

Ash and Team Rocket being alive after so many electric shocks.

Also, how does Team Rocket survive blasting off? Does Giovanni employ ninjas to roam around the Pokemon world and cushion his agents falls?

Gardevoir being either gender
Hatching giant Pokemon from eggs. Like when you hatch a Snorlax or a Lapras.

Why not though? There are pokemon that have more gendered designs and they still come in both sexes.

I assume large pokemon are born rather small and have large eggs anyway. We just don't see a size difference in the game because that wouldn't be practical.

-How Hippowdon is able to produce endless sand from its body.

My theory is that Hippowdon stores sand in his body and/or grinds rocks nearby to turn them into sand.

Gamefreak putting things in that don't make sense. and expecting them to make sense.
Mew appearing before trainers who successfully flee from a trainer battle and then beat a Slowpoke.
The Lavaridge Cookie at the Vermilion Dock. Also, how did a truck get to an area of the dock that doesn't connect to any road or path?

Well, whenever Squirtle is having too much fun, its sunglass start to fall off. Squirtle pushes them up in fine style and sends subliminal messages.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom