• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that frustrate you in games?

Julum

Reaction score
For me, it's the bugginess of some games, at the moment. For example, Saints Row IV on the PS3. I enjoy the game, but it freezes for me. A lot. They really need to patch up the game a bit so I don't constantly have to do parts of a mission over again. How about you?

For me, it is the fact that many games involve many different gods that are fake but needed to be worship. Example: Arceus, Nanyru, Goddess of Time, etc

Having to go ages and ages without a checkpoint of any sort, especially when the game gets really hard. Having to play the same thing over and over doesn't add to the challenge, it just turns something that should have been fun into a tedious chore.

-Not being able to save when I want
-Artificial difficulty (making things an hassle to do just so we take longer to beat a game)
-Unskippable cinematics
-Doll-like female characters that look like they could be broken by a breeze
-VERY difficult sequences. I like challenges, but I'd rather not spend hours doing the same thing over and over again (but this is personal preference)
-etc...

Almost killing an enemy, then getting wiped out. Double points if it's an enemy that gives good shit when it's dropped. Like, one time, I was facing a King Behemoth in Final Fantasy XIII. So close, then it dropped Fang, who was the party leader, which for whatever reason means the game is over.

And cheating computers. Moreso in a game where you and the opponent are supposed to be on equal grounds (eg Pokemon).

Grinding. I hate it. When an RPG (or other game, but I mostly see it in RPG's) relies on grinding in order to get money/experience/gear etc., it just irritates me to no end.

For those who don't know, grinding is when a game forces you to repeat the same menial tasks over and over again in order to progress. A great example would be the dozens of "Kill XX amount of monster" quests you see in MMO's. One of my favorite MMO's ever did this too. No joke, the quest was "Defeat 100 Council Soldiers." Do you know how annoyig and tiresome it is to have to hunt down a specific enemy and defeat 100 of them??

Game developers, grinding isn't fun. It's repetitive. It's boring. It's obnoxious. Please stop putting it in your games. Thank you.

FINDING THE SAVE POINT.

I especially hate those certain RPGs that don't let you save anywhere. You just have to wander around to find them omg. The worst is when they didn't even put save points in every village -.- At least allow a quick save plz I'm going through this dungeon for thirty minutes and still no save point omg

Water levels. I hate the physics behind them. They have a tendency to be very tedious too. (Pretty much every Water-themed dungeon ever from Legend of Zelda for example.)

Rubberband AI - like in Burnout 3, if anybody has played that. That game frustrated me so much until I figured out what was going on. >.>

Also... The Sims 3... That game frustrates me. Well, maybe not the game itself, but the way EA handled it. It really represents everything wrong you can do with a game... Not making it complete, making countless Expansion Packs which are overpriced and poorer in quality than the ones in the original two games, and the god awful The Sims 3 Store... The series seriously had no need for DLC when they already had Expansion Packs and Stuff Packs. EA killed it.

Actually, I have another, which does bother me on a more personal level. Unfair representation between the genders of an avatar character. I'm talking about things like Pokemon Trainer only being male in Brawl, and Leaf being completely absent from HG/SS, even though it easily could have been implemented to choose whether you fought her or Red.

Truth be told, I wasn't too bothered by Pokemon Trainer only being male in Brawl, but if PT returns in SSB4 and is only male, after the developers went out of their way to create a male alternate costume for Wii Fit Trainer, then I will certainly be mad.

Enemies respawning. I HATE that! Especially if said enemies were hard to kill, only for them to respawn if you scroll just a few pixels off-screen. That was very common in NES games, and you know how unforgiving a lot of those games can be.

Pixel perfect jumps are annoying, but they aren't too bad if you practice enough and get the timing right. The enemies respawning thing is just mean.

I've been playing a lot of GTA online recently and I've decided that the things that frustrate me in video games are other people. Just like real life.

In RPGs, grinding that's mandatory (not defeat x amounts of enemies like in Wizard101 but repeat the same dungeon over and over for mandatory loot like in Spiral Knights).
In platformers, jumps that require perfect timing and/or movement.
In horror, long gaps between save points (for long ones like Cry of Fear, not short ones like Slender) or inability to save anywhere (again, for long ones like SCP Containment Breach, not short ones like SCP-087).
In online games, legal griefing. Something that's intentional in some games and annoys me to no end.

When a game has puzzles or anything that can be so difficult to figure out what to do without potentially spending hours of trial-and-error, unless you get lucky, that you'll need a walkthrough on hand at all times while playing the game. Using a guide for a 100% game completion (completing all side quests, finding every hidden extra item or unlockable, etc.) is fine, but requiring the use of one to refer back to every so often just to actually play the game can ruin any enjoyment of playing it, as is often the case for many early Point-and-Click adventure games, for instance.

Extreme difficult puzzles, I remember one of the most frustrating ones when I was a kid in the temple in Lost in Blue >_<, spend hours trying to figure how to move every rock, pushed one the wrong way? Leave, enter and start again. I almost threw the game once XD.
No save points. When you have literally only one save point in the zone so you can save before the boss without going back all the way.
This one's kinda stupid but a bad soundtrack, it throws me off when a the song don't fit the scenario. Yeah, ya got a soundtrack maniac here.

1.- time limits: i hate games that tell me that i have to do something in certain ammount of time, i ususally tend to explore every single corner of any part of any game,but if i have a time limit then i have to hurry and i have this feeling that i left something behind
2.-social justice is gaming: this have to do more with the gaming community but im getting tired of social justice, or is racism, or sexism or classism, is just annoying, i hate when people demands (not ask) to the game developers to change gender or color skin to the main characters to adjust to their taste, is like some people dont realize that not all games have to target everyone, im cool with more female main characters but it have to be the developer the one who wants to make one, not being forced to make it

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom