• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that frustrate you in games?

Hyperdimension Neptunia Series has a few frustrating moments

1.Level Grinding(made all the more frustrating by having very low xp given at start of game)
2.Often difficult to reach save points
3.Super strong enemy filled dungeons(level 65-70 kind)
4.Ending lockouts(means if you get one ending all others are locked)

Police system, depending on how it's handled.

In games like Saints Row and Prototype it's fine; you actually have a chance. In GTA 5, you really don't. It's cool that they tried to put a realistic approach on the feds, but that's kind of thrown out the window when they try shooting me relentlessly just for accidentally bumping the back of their car, or even standing near a cop for more than ten seconds. Damn Rockstar, patch it down a little. Right now it's more of a don't-do-crime simulator.

1) Level Grinding in Pokémon BW, courtesy of the EXP-vs-level scaling . Well, someone said before, I don't have as much time as I used to, so having to do extra routine work just to gain levels is going to be a chore for me. Quite frustrating when you're just before defeating N and Elesa, and when overlevelling isn't a feasible option. (Finding Audino was not a reliable option for me.) At least in XY, you can avoid wild encounters, raise more Pokémon, and/or battle gym leaders with unevolved Pokemon.

2) Having to forfeit items in Mario Kart after Double Dash. Barrage of items from CPUs, with you as being their priority target, and being forced to forfeit your precious star/mushroom/etc you've kept as an emergency item, are not fun.

3) Steep difficulty curve. Again, Pokémon Black: Burgh -> N/Elesa. Also, Fire Emblem 6 (Elibe), Chapter 8 -> Chapter 11-14.

4) Same old story in the Super Mario Series, of Peach being kidnapped, again! Shake things up, dev team! I'm actually fine with the Pokémon formula, though.

Anti-Grinding in general. I get that that the developers don't want you to spend too much time in a single area in the game, but if your having a tough time it helps to know that you can go back to an are and level up some to get a leg up.

Sometimes the Bag/Items UI is super frustrating or just plain terrible. Right now I'm specifically thinking of The Sims 3. Each character has its own bag, and there is a shared family bag. Alright, that's fine, but don't make me switch between Buy and Live modes twice just to be able to access both of them. Especially if you have a super elaborate property, it can take a few minutes to access something that should have been a separate tab all along.

Grinding in RPGs. It is a chore, enough said. Also, not knowing where to go (mainly in RPG or Action Adventure games) because some developer thought giving the hints to some random NPC instead of important characters, was a great idea.

Also, overpowered AI in Fighting games. Like, how the fuck I am supposed to beat the bosses in SNK, as well as Capcom Fighting games? There is no way, unless you use some dumb anti-fun strategy, like low kicking the boss during the whole fight or something like that. And sometimes, not even that works!!

Besides that, I hate when companies start milking franchises, like Game Freak does with Pokémon, Square Enix with Final Fantasy, etc. That frustrates me a lot. Is it that hard to stop making games for a franchise and make something new and original instead?

I absolutely hate when strategy games add too many luck elements or things that are basically made to screw over the player which aren't avoidable unless you knew about it in advance.

Bosses that heal themselves up when you fight them. More annoying if the damage you inflicted is less then the damage it heals... Even more annoying if said boss has a barrier...

*angrily eyes Metatron from Devil Survivor Overclocked, who she tried to face earlier today... Might have to grind now...*

Last edited:
Bosses that heal themselves up when you fight them. More annoying if the damage you inflicted is less then the damage it heals... Even more annoying if said boss has a barrier...

I can add to that: bosses that either have HUGE amounts of HP to begin with or ones like the ones from Dark Cloud for the PS2 (i.e. bosses with different HP depending on your equpiment.) Try taking on the first boss from that game with just a broken Dagger and broken Slingshot. You WILL die.

Which brings me onto another thing I hate: breakable weapons. Sure it's fine in games like Fire Emblem: Awakening (unless you lose weapons like the Book of Naga) where you can just by Reeking Boxes and grind like heck (though that's still not enjoyable at all) or equip Armsthrift but why did they need to include the Big Knife in Ocorina of Time?!

And speeking of Fire Emblem: Permadeath. 'nuf said.

And here's a list of other things that iritate me in games:

-Games freezing
-Corrupted saves
-Unsolveable puzzles :dumb:
-Difficuilty spikes
-EVIL/cheting CPUs
-EVIL cheating CPUs
-Overpowered items/characters (Meta Knight anyone?)
-Power-ups that hinder you (Mario Kart Wii's Thunder Cloud is a good example :uhoh:)
-Kirby's Epic Yarn Games that are too easy
-Games that are too hard
-Forgetingto pick up/not knowing about an item you can't complete a game without and having to backtrack (the only time I'm against backtracking)
-That game developers can't make games like they used to/ruin great franchises (Spyro in a nutshell :eek:hdear:)
-Near-unavoidable death/near-death blows (Tabuu in a Deku Nutshell)
-Paid memberships (the reason I've never played WoW (besides the fact that I don't have a gaming computer))
Region-specific distribution events (seeing as I live in New Zealand I don't get to many non-Wi-Fi event Pokemon)
-Event Pokemon (that aren't Mew, Arceus or Manaphy)
-Hour-long load screens (especially if they waste computing power which could go towards loading on a pointless animation)
-Moldorm

There are definately others but those are the ones I can think of right now.

When the creators expect you to be friggin' psychic to figure out what the heck to do next. Like in Paper Mario 2, when you have to figure out how to find Don Pianta. Really? By walking through a little crack in the wall? Who ever would've guessed?

When the creators expect you to be friggin' psychic to figure out what the heck to do next. Like in Paper Mario 2, when you have to figure out how to find Don Pianta. Really? By walking through a little crack in the wall? Who ever would've guessed?

I do dislike when the designers make it nearly impossible to figure out what to do. This happens often in many of the Zelda titles, and even in regular JRPGs.

I also dislike the unforgiving game difficulty featured in many indie games. I like difficulty, but there comes a point when the game can become so frustratingly difficult that the game becomes no fun to play.

Bad video game cameras are quite a cancer in gaming too. Few things screw up a 3D game experience than the CAMERA being a bigger threat than whatever foe or obstacle might be in your way.
You'll find yourself walking or jumping into things you don't intend to like an idiot most likely. (Even though it's a wonky camera to blame.)

"The game disk could not be read. Please check the Wii operations manual for more information."

I do dislike when the designers make it nearly impossible to figure out what to do. This happens often in many of the Zelda titles, and even in regular JRPGs.

I also dislike the unforgiving game difficulty featured in many indie games. I like difficulty, but there comes a point when the game can become so frustratingly difficult that the game becomes no fun to play.

I hate when you can't figure out what you're supposed to do. I've been playing Legend of Zelda: Majora's mask, and if it weren't for online walkthroughs, the moon would have crashed into Termina about 10 times over.

Rubber-band A.I in racing games. The core reason why Mario Kart 64 is the worst one of its series, IMO (It is ridiculous). GT6s rubber band is pathetic, which is shocking that a "real driving simulator" has it. When you get closer to an A.I, it'll slow down for you (even if your 20 seconds away from them) and when you go in front of them they then go faster than their normal pase making it a boring stuck-together moment until they might spin you out (because the A.I does that). Rubber band A.I just ruins the single-player experience.

Lag. Not really the fault of the game proper, but after getting completely screwed over mid-combo in an MMO and sitting there as you get tossed around only to find that, once the lag storm ceases, you just got killed is the most frustrating thing ever. If it was my own stupid fault for getting killed, I would have been a bit more fine with it, but it's when something starts interfering with my ability to play to the best of my ability that really gets me ticked.

As for actual game mechanics...nothing aside from lag frustrates me more than walking through long stretches of absolutely nothing. Be it pointlessly large corridors or needlessly expansive overworlds, I don't want to spend half an hour trying to walk from point A to point B with absolutely nothing interesting in between. Especially if there isn't even any pretty scenery to gawk at.

Only thing I can think of is unskippable cutscenes and dialogue. They're one of the only things that can make usually-calm me absolutely rage.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom