• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that frustrate you in games?

One-hit KO's. I'm not bothered by enemies that can smash your HP bar quickly... I'm bothered by the ones who have some kind of move that means insta-death if it hits. Every time that happens, it just feels incredibly cheap.

Also, "There is no game in the game slot" when there is. Cue the swearing.

The general trend in the industry towards rehashing, style over substance, and cheap experiences. A lot of games nowadays feel like soulless cash grabs.

-Difficulty spikes in the second/third level/world/chapter
-Difficult Platforming
-Water levels with air meters

Am I really the only person who doesn't hate grinding?I love grinding.The only reason I stop grinding in Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones is because there's no monsters on the map and I don't want to break my weapons in the Tower of Valni or Lagdou Ruins after I beat the game.

Quick Time Events. This has to be the laziest type of gameplay ever, press a button in time and something happens, fail to press the button you die or take a huge aumont of damage.

-Disappearing/Unreachable Boss Loot.
I absolutely hate when I take out some crazy boss and my loot disappears or lands in some unreachable spot of the map. Very minor glitch but incredibly frustrating when you need something out of that boss loot.

Oh, I've got a new one. AI opponents that gang up on you during what's supposed to be a free-for-all.

When an enemy or boss steals an item from you or prevents you from using magic.

Glitches that can crash the game. Hurts even more if you haven't saved in a while.

One example: in Devil Survivor (at least Overclocked, probably in the original too), some free battles have cards that can be analyzed. There is a chance the game will crash if the card is analyzed.

Trophy glitches. These especially suck when its a trophy that takes a ridiculous amount of time to do.

Best example: Dragons Bane in Dragon Age Inquisition. The game I guess "miscounts" how many dragons you've slayed and stays at 9/10 instead of increasing to 10/10 after the last dragon. You have to slay all 10 in a single play-through so if it glitches you have to do an entire new play-through and hope it doesn't happen again. :(

Game-breaking bugs. The kind that force you to reload save files and lose hours, days, WEEKS of progress. That happened to me last night, and I don't think I've gotten that angry in a very long time.

Something I really hate in games are battle you are not supposed to win. Its incredibly frustrating have to start an un-winnable fight and sit through it all when there could have just been a cutscene showing the player lose.

Missions that throw unexpected bullshit at you, and I'm not talking about a plot twist that adds new enemies to the mix. I'm talking about the kind where there's an enemy hiding somewhere you have no way of knowing about until he pops out and kills one of your units. The only way you can be prepared for it is if you either spoiled yourself beforehand or have done the mission already in a previous playthrough...and that's just messed up imo.

Bosses that seem to enjoy teleporting every which way, making it difficult to land any hits.

Attacks that wipe you/your party out in one hit can be frustrating to say the least. For example, Etrian Odyssey IV's semi-final boss, while it does have some very hard-hitting attacks (as in, OHKO hard), they mostly only hit one or two party members, and it can't use them in quick succession... Until you get its health in the red and first it uses two of those high-damage attacks in a row, then it uses an attack which does at least 1000 damage to the whole party (or about 500 if you defend, but you would have to know it was coming), which will likely knock them all out since 500 is a fairly high amount of health for a party member to have at that point in the game. Granted, you can protect one or two members of your party from this if you have a certian class in said party, but if you don't have that class, you will most likely die a lot.

Having to rely on the Mega Evolution capable Kanto Starters in X/Y to deal with opponents due to the lack of Mega Evolutions for the Kalos Starters. Here's to hoping Pokemon Z fixes this mistake they made, since the Kanto Starters were nothing more than spotlight hogs for X/Y in comparison to the newly introduced Kalos Starters to where it was just too plain unfair for the Kalos Starters in terms of viability.

I was thinking of anything I could contribute to this thread, and I was nearly finished with an entire post about RNG, really anything that's random or luck-based. I started by talking about a game that I think handles randomness well, which is Minecraft. In that game, you're in a new world every time you start a new game, but the game presents the player with options and balance. This means that even if I play through the game one time starting in a forest surrounded by pigs to farm and eat, and then start a new game where I'm dropped in the middle of a desert with no animals anywhere in sight, the game encourages me to find another solution. Maybe I'll find a cave, and in the cave will be a skeleton spawn point, allowing me to set up a trap for the skeletons so that they die and give me their bones whenever I want, so that then I can use bone meal to fertilize mushrooms I found elsewhere in the cave and live on an endless supply of mushroom soup. Can you tell that I'm speaking from experience?

As I got further in depth with this concession, I realized that "bad RNG" isn't really about unpredictability, it's about poor balance and trial-and-error. My real issue is with situations where I can't progress further in the game without crossing my fingers and hoping that something good happens. The example that immediately comes to mind is getting my party wiped out repeatedly by the same person in Pokemon, and being stuck in a situation where I just have to fight her again and hope that this time she doesn't tell her Miltank to use that one move and that I can get some good hits in before she makes that decision that I have no agency over, thus making Pokemon no longer a game but a gamble, and then SHE USES THE MOVE AND MY WHOLE TEAM IS DONE FOR ALL OVER AGAIN AND--

I actually didn't have any trouble with Whitney's Miltank when I was a kid. I can't remember why, or else I'd be offering my strategies since she seemed to cause so many other people a lot of misery. Noobs.

Bosses can summon more enemies or freeze you anytime, no hint or mission for you to do in game, bad angle view, difficult to control, no help or tutorial, character moving really slow in RPG, some scene that take every single item from you and some annoying thing that gamer could meet...

Accidentally hitting treasure chests in Rune Factory games. Try to clear the area of monsters, one miss swing of the weapon, and no more treasure. (They totally appear at random too.)

There is a phenomena among the Monster Hunter fandom known as the Desire Sensor (though other fandoms may or may not have something like it, I just haven't heard about it). If you are a MH player, then you pretty much don't need to read the rest of this post since you have a pretty good idea where this is headed, but for those of you who don't know what I mean, let me explain.
In Monster Hunter, the only way to increase your stats is to make new weapons and armor. As for how you do this, you either get various matterials by mining/gathering during quests or you slay a couple monsters and collect parts from them, which you make into new gear. However, since you need a specific amount of certian parts/matterials to make a given piece of gear and the matterials/parts you get are (semi-)random, this can lead to some problems. For example, say you are a relatively new player and are attempting to make some Low-Rank Rathian gear... Not that this is something that happend to me, I'm just giving an example. To make it you need Rathian parts, obviously, so you go out and hunt a few Rathians and harvest their corpses for parts... Pretty brutal when you think about it. However, as you are almost done with a complete armor set and just need a few more... I dunno, Rathian Scales perhaps (a.k.a. the most common thing she drops), the game just spontaniously decides to stop giving you them and instead decides to throw various parts at you that you have no real use for. Needless to say, this can be really f***ing annoying, especially since solo monster hunts, assuming you have gear at the same rank as your target, last at least ten minutes. Need I say anything more?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom