• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that frustrate you in games?

I strongly dislike when there is a character who cant be enhanced/upgraded/leveled-up unless you do something stupid like a mini game. I hate mini games. I'm more likely to stop using that character than buckle down and work at a mini game.

I strongly dislike when there is a character who cant be enhanced/upgraded/leveled-up unless you do something stupid like a mini game. I hate mini games. I'm more likely to stop using that character than buckle down and work at a mini game.
Behold, my only major gripe with Mario Tennis Power Tour. You have to do a stupid amount of work to get the final Power Shots...

I’m digging this thread up cuz I have a good one. It kept me up at night, and I wouldn’t rest until I screamed it from the rooftops!

This isn’t exclusively a video game thing, but I notice it most in games; making a reboot for an old series and giving it the same title as the first game. I hate it! How stupid do publishers think we are, do they think we’re either going to forget about the first game (in many cases the reason the reboot exists), or be tricked into buying some new game because it has the same title as a good game?

There are so many examples and it rains on my parade when I hear of a new one. Doom, Thief, God of War, Sonic the Hedgehog, Turok, Syndicate, SimCity, Tomb Raider, and the list goes on. When I say these names, am I talking about games from the ‘90s or some new one that we have to make some unofficial moniker for? It’s such a little thing, but maybe that’s precisely why it gets under my skin. At this point, I have respect for franchises that take the good with the bad and call their damn game Doom 4 or whatever the case may be. It’s such a simple thing, guys.

-Ice puzzles, just ice puzzles.
-Sliding puzzles like those found on Avalon Code. Specially if they are bigger than 4x4.
-Having every single character already unlocked in my games. That made Ultra Street Fighter IV disappointing for me and is why I'm glad they didn't take this route in Smash. Unless...
-Having a character being locked behind an almost impossible task. I like having to unlock things, but you should do something reasonable.
-Steep difficulty spikes. I feel it's bad game design when one part is easy and the next one extremely hard, like the Ultra Necrozma fight. Doesn't help that most mobile games do this.
-Having to unlock things through PvP. I like playing alone, and I shouldn't be punished for doing that. I'm looking at you, Brawlhalla!

Characters that just won't shut up as I'm getting shot down left and right. glares at "Kid Icarus: Uprising".

When a game gives you a limited resources to bypass challenges you don't feel like doing, but prevents you from using said resources on the really hard challenges that you'd actually want to bypass. "Glares at Smash Ultimate"

Characters that just won't shut up as I'm getting shot down left and right. glares at "Kid Icarus: Uprising".
Yeah, it's definitely a shame that you need to finish the game once before you can make everyone shut up. I mean, I love the mid-level banter, but I can see how other people could seriously find that annoying.

Difficult CPUs even with the setting set to "easy".
Thank you, you reminded me why I don't like older fighting games. Street Fighter II was hellish to complete on the lowest difficulty, and you know what's worse? That they don't show you your ending if you don't do higher difficulties. And that's not getting to Mortal Kombat and their complete unfair bosses like Kintaro and Motaro. It's almost as if they hated the players and wanted them to suffer.

Weather reliance, such as being unable to climb during rainstorms in "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild".

Parts where I have to be super careful with an item I can't keep in my inventory, a great example of that annoying aspect was that sidequest in Twilight Princess where you had to deliver a barrel filled with hot water to a Goron at one of the Castle Town's entrance. That's easier said than done, because on your way, you get attacked by Bulblins who shoot flaming arrows at you, not only that, but there's also the fact that if you don't do it fast enough, the water is going to cool down, it also cools down if you set it down on the water that's on the field. Overall, I hated that sidequest and the fact that it was kept for the remake.

For me, the most frustrating thing in a videogame I ever dealt with was the Monkey Caves in EarthBound.
It's not really the Monkeys I have a problem with, but it's the fact that if you don't have something one Monkey wants, you have to backtrack for an hour or two in order to get it, and your mom comes into your room while you're playing and says "WILL YOU STOP PLAYING THAT SILLY MUSIC? IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!"

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom