• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that frustrate you in games?

Wait, what??? What kind of person does this? When Rock Band 3 had pre-order bonuses, they at least programmed a code to obtain them for the people that got it elsewhere.

It's rare, but it does happen every now and then. There have actually been petitions for the company to release the locked data for everyone, but, clearly, they're not listening. I missed out on Mons like BlackWarGreymon for a while before I "learned" of the aforementioned trick and exploited it in order to finally complete said game properly. I really don't know why anyone would do that, but I have seen/heard of cases in the past where pre-order codes were the only way to unlock certain data that was necessary for the game to be completed. I don't know many other cases, as I have narrow interest searches, but I have heard of it popping up every so often. Again, they're kinda rare, as only very select games tend to get hit with it, but it has happened, which is why I often dread that if I don't get a certain pre-order game ASAP I might have some content locked away, as Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth proved.

EDIT: Forgot to mention something. This was back at least a year ago when I was looking into it, and they recently re-released Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory as a "complete edition", so that may no longer be the case now (at least in the re-release's case, anyway). But during that time I ran into maybe one or two other examples, if memory serves, while hunting for a solution, so the cases of it happening are very far and few between. But, it proves that it has happened before. And, besides, given the fact that some games actually got the green light despite being either unpolished, unfinished, or riddled with bugs (Sonic 06 comes to mind), it can mean that such situations can arise, which is unfortunate for gamers (and their wallets) who get stuck with such issues.

Last edited:
First off, it's when you need to obtain items/characters that can very much qualify as bragging rights rewards in order to 100% complete a game. As a casual gamer, I prefer to just take my time and enjoy a game. But when certain items/characters are locked behind extremely high barriers that require insane skill to obtain in order to 100% the game, that's where I fall short. A very good example for me is N. Tropy in Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled. While I can unlock his ghosts in the Time Trials, beating his ghosts are quite another thing, ESPECIALLY since it often requires liberal use of Blue Fire, something that I STILL haven't mastered (I suck at racing games because my reflexes get panicky whenever I'm forced to react to high speed events). I've only beaten a couple of his ghosts, with the most recent race (the newest Grand Prix's track) being the first time I actually curb-stomped him (without Blue Fire, despite it being accessible in the track), so unlocking his actual character, let alone his digital clock skin, is a massive uphill battle for me.
Imo this isn't really that bad. Since 100%-ing a game in and of itself is very much bragging rights. So it doesn't exactly bother me overly much.

Imo this isn't really that bad. Since 100%-ing a game in and of itself is very much bragging rights. So it doesn't exactly bother me overly much.

Well, it bothers me, especially when it gets factored into the plot. Remember the Ice Ball M chip from Megaman Battle Network 3? Or the entire Coldman section in Megaman Battle Network 4? Those required rare chips with certain codes in order to progress with the story, many of which can be classified as bragging rights rewards if you don't know certain tricks of getting around it. The Coldman situation is even more so, as the more playthroughs you go through, the harder and harder it is to get those specific chips, as those codes become virtually non-existent by that point. So, that's why it bothers me, as whenever a bragging rights reward item is necessary for any part of the game, especially plot-wise, that's when it becomes frustrating.

Anyway, another thing that recently came to mind: cashgates. You know them, you loath them, the part of the game where you're forced to pay large sums of in-game money in order to progress the plot. It's why Moneybags from Spyro is so hated, and why I really dislike Ratchet & Clank Going Commando's liberal use of it (especially that 10,000 bolt fee for the info on the Protopet, which Ratchet himself lampshades). So, yeah, cashgates are every player's bane.

Well, it bothers me, especially when it gets factored into the plot. Remember the Ice Ball M chip from Megaman Battle Network 3? Or the entire Coldman section in Megaman Battle Network 4? Those required rare chips with certain codes in order to progress with the story, many of which can be classified as bragging rights rewards if you don't know certain tricks of getting around it. The Coldman situation is even more so, as the more playthroughs you go through, the harder and harder it is to get those specific chips, as those codes become virtually non-existent by that point. So, that's why it bothers me, as whenever a bragging rights reward item is necessary for any part of the game, especially plot-wise, that's when it becomes frustrating.
Ok yeah, this I can absolutely understand. When it's factored into the story, then yes, it is absolutely horrible. 100% agreement on this point.

Anyway, another thing that recently came to mind: cashgates. You know them, you loath them, the part of the game where you're forced to pay large sums of in-game money in order to progress the plot. It's why Moneybags from Spyro is so hated, and why I really dislike Ratchet & Clank Going Commando's liberal use of it (especially that 10,000 bolt fee for the info on the Protopet, which Ratchet himself lampshades). So, yeah, cashgates are every player's bane.
Oh yes. There is a reason that the revenge sequence in Spyro 3 felt so god damn good.

Oh yes. There is a reason that the revenge sequence in Spyro 3 felt so god damn good.
True. It never bothered me that he kept asking for money (because I tend to find everything the first time), however, thanks to his massive jerkass-ness, this + the fact that he is a butt monkey was extremely satisfying.

True. It never bothered me that he kept asking for money (because I tend to find everything the first time), however, thanks to his massive jerkass-ness, this + the fact that he is a butt monkey was extremely satisfying.

Agreed. It's funny how he went from an annoying, yet decently helpful (as he taught Spyro moves like the head bash), generally neutral-aligned character to an outright jerkish and antagonistic chew toy who would charge you every chance he could get. Made his beatings in Spyro 3 all the more satisfying because he had sunk to that level.

Things that are basically luck of the draw or RNG, like a Pokemon's nature (thankfully the mints in Sword and Shield are presumably solving this), and their ability. Then there's things like EV yield for defeating Pokemon. Now I have to make sure my Pokemon doesn't get held back by unhelpful EVs and make sure they get as many helpful EVs they can.

Bosses with annoying attack patterns.

Anything that takes too long.

Artificial difficulty.

Lack of flexibility and having to do things in a certain order.

When there's poor collision. fortunately this has only happened to me twice, and both times it was annoying at worst, but still.

Thanks to playing Miitopia like a madman, I found another thing that frustrates me: games that tell me when to take a rest. Specially if they ask me if I want to rest every three stages like Miitopia does. Couldn't they have done the same thing as the Mother series, where they only ask you to take a rest after an excessive amount of time playing?

I thankfully haven't encountered very many instances of this, but I'm a little frustrated with the existence of games that were purposely designed in mind to be played with multiplayer as the core focus. Where even though the games still offer single-player, the levels and other aspects are still specifically designed around multiplayer. LoZ: Tri Force Heroes and Dragon Quest IX are both good examples of this.

I played Tri Force Heroes and did quite a few of the stages alone. But some of the levels and boss fights were so hard that they were next to impossible without the help of other players. And when wifi services for the 3DS shut down, as it happened with the DS and Wii, that will severely cut into the playability of this game. Developers already know that the wifi services will not last forever, so I don't know why some still insist on making these.

I thankfully haven't encountered very many instances of this, but I'm a little frustrated with the existence of games that were purposely designed in mind to be played with multiplayer as the core focus. Where even though the games still offer single-player, the levels and other aspects are still specifically designed around multiplayer. LoZ: Tri Force Heroes and Dragon Quest IX are both good examples of this.

I played Tri Force Heroes and did quite a few of the stages alone. But some of the levels and boss fights were so hard that they were next to impossible without the help of other players. And when wifi services for the 3DS shut down, as it happened with the DS and Wii, that will severely cut into the playability of this game. Developers already know that the wifi services will not last forever, so I don't know why some still insist on making these.
You kinda remind me of how annoying it was to not be able to unlock everything in Rock Band and Guitar Hero. Even if you can unlock a good chunk of content if you only play one instrument (or two if you're using the guitar controller), there are things that you can only unlock if you play with at least one other player, which is now impossible for me thanks to RB3 being dead on the Wii.

An even more frustrating example would be Band Hero for DS, since that game didn't have online multiplayer. You want to unlock everything? Too bad, you need three other people with DS/3DS and a copy of the game to be able to complete it.

A game hiding an objective in the most obnoxious place, or vague markers
Oh yes, I remember that one annoying Green Star in Galaxy 2 where you had to fall to get it, the most bothersome place being fenced.

Here's another one, the game teasing you when it shouldn't in the first place. What I mean are items that are out of reach in places that you're meant to visit only once. Twilight Princess HD specifically had that one annoying-to get stamp in the Goron Mines, that stamp required you to get access to the Clawshot, which could only be obtained right on the next dungeon. So if you plan to open every chest in every dungeon, you're forced to leave that one for much later. That and the one annoying cube planet that could never be reached by cannon in Galaxy 1, I lost so many lives because of that alone.

When a game has NO customization options and has been made in the past 20 years.

Grindy stuff for cosmetic rewards only. I have been recently playing Super Mario Odyssey again and to get every single hat and outfit in the game will require so much grinding, I know that Bowser's Kingdom's beanstalk bonus level makes it easier on the grind, this doesn't make it as less time consuming as it is bothersome. And with varying prices on hats and outfits, some will naturally take more grinding than others. And guess what, all of that stuff is just for looks, sure a few outfits are required to get specific Power Moons, but other than that, it's so much grinding that the time it takes can rival those of RPGs.

Having to play a level again (like recent Kirby games, if you miss a collectible its not enough to just go back and get it but you have to finish the level again compared to Crystal Shards where you can just get the shard you missed and then leave) or doing a previous task to accomplish a new one.

(like recent Kirby games, if you miss a collectible its not enough to just go back and get it but you have to finish the level again compared to Crystal Shards where you can just get the shard you missed and then leave)
What you're describing sadly doesn't apply to the enemy cards, mostly because they depend on the end-of-level minigame. So you still have to beat the level for those, and there are more cards than levels...

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom