• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that should go away/be changed

Er. No thanks. Save the 'alternative gamplay' for the spin-offs.

Ah, well. I really don't have any problems with that. xD

Trying to balance everyone's suggestings, I imagine if GF took the time to consider each one, they wouldn't have enough time to actually get the games done.

I wouldn't mind a long break between games if it means there's a chance the newest game could be really good/better than the previous ones. But, then again, they wouldn't ever really listen to us anyways.

Yeah like I said, "unless they added another feature that work similarly that they could nerd rage over", which they most likely would. Just plain removing EVs and IVs or replacing it with a system far less deep would probably result in Gen IV being used more for competitive battling. Who knows though.

And I guess the glitches in SSB wasn't the best example, though they also complain about the battle mechanics being different in Brawl as well, with the game being more "floaty" as they put it, and different mechanics working somewhat different. So SSB still works as an example.

Oh, wow, I must of missed that. My bad.

Yeah, that's a better example.
Though, fans complain about Brawl over the silliest reasons, with the only good reason being that it takes a little too long to load. I think competitive players just have gotten too used to Melee and with Brawl being different it doesn't allow them to abuse like they used to. And they don't want to try to learn how to play competitively in Brawl. Then, there's the casual fans that complain about Brawl being too much of the same as Melee...

There's just no winning with a really diverse fanbase. Fans would always complain about something.

Oh, wow, I must of missed that. My bad.

Yeah, that's a better example.
Though, fans complain about Brawl over the silliest reasons, with the only good reason being that it takes a little too long to load. I think competitive players just have gotten too used to Melee and with Brawl being different it doesn't allow them to abuse like they used to. And they don't want to try to learn how to play competitively in Brawl. Then, there's the casual fans that complain about Brawl being too much of the same as Melee...

There's just no winning with a really diverse fanbase. Fans would always complain about something.

I was disappointed with Brawl (mainly the character roster), but i like it better than Melee overall. And I know the only reason I'm so disappointed with it is because I hyped myself for it and speculated so much. Same thing happened with KH2 cause I hyped it too much. I've learned not to hype things too much. You usually end up liking the final thing more if you don't. That's why I've been trying not to hype things like Zelda, Pokemon, KH Birth By Sleep, etc too much.

I wouldn't mind a long break between games if it means there's a chance the newest game could be really good/better than the previous ones. But, then again, they wouldn't ever really listen to us anyways.
Yes, that is correct. Which is why, at the end of the day, though I too have my own ideas of where the franchise should go (and hopes and dreams), I feel like Game Freak knows what they're doing and they should do it. Getting too much fan input (not saying they even do such a thing) is like poison -- partially because there's so many of us and partially because lots of times fans truly don't know what to settle on for improvements.

I've got the faith that these new games will have enough of the similar content to please while at the same time introducing unique content to bring back fan interest. The thing I'm curious to find out is how much of what is what.

Ya know, I used to think EV's were dumb.

But really, with the items you get in DPt, it's really easy now. It takes a lot less longer to do than simple level grinding actually.

They should just revamp the system entirely in my opinion.

Now, this would mean that Gen V couldn't be compatable with previous gens, which makes this an empty wish. I'll still dream though:

The system as it is is complicated and based on luck. Getting good IVs means having the patience to wait for the jackpot in the lottery. Nobody plays pokemon for the hidden, complicated statistics. People play pokemon for the battle-heavy action. IVs and EVs are not a barrier to this in single-player. However, if you want to play online, these systems are a massive barrier to playing.

Nobody plays pokemon for the IVs or EVs. They are a complicated system that detracts from the experience. The enjoyment you can receive from charting your IVs is akin to the enjoyment of plugging numbers into Microsoft Excel. That's not an experience that belongs in Pokemon, a game for all players, of all places.

As such, I think that the idea of 'fixing' the system by making it visible is solving the wrong problem (Though I'd take a patch for this system since they're obviously not changing it for the next generation. The patches for breeding in HGSS are appreciated, even if it only makes the system slightly less cumbersom.). I think that the system needs a giant overhaul. And it starts with making it more accessible and understandable to players:

First, instead of applying EVs (I don't care how realistic they are), why couldn't the game just say to the player "Level up! Pick a stat to receive a bonus!". If that breaks the flow too much, then have the game chart EVs is a visible way: make a page of EVs that the pokemon has earned, and instead of applying them automatically, allow the player to activate stored EVs (There could be an item for it, if it would make realistic players happy). Either way, charting EVs on a pokemon that must fight specific pokemon the entire time as a system HAS TO GO.

On IVs, I don't have a workable fix yet. If a patch were to be applied, I'd go with the one in RBY's system, where there were only 15 possible IV values instead of 31. That at least makes it easier to keep track of.

This. I couldn't (nobody couldn't IMO) have said it better.

Contest also should change. I'd like them to be removed, since IMO they add nothing to the main quest and as sidequest they are boring to me. But since they are already set in stone and are so popular, I think it won't happen, therefore I'd like them to be chnanged into something more interesting and interactive, and maybe having them as part of the main plot.

Getting too much fan input (not saying they even do such a thing) is like poison -- partially because there's so many of us and partially because lots of times fans truly don't know what to settle on for improvements.

I've got the faith that these new games will have enough of the similar content to please while at the same time introducing unique content to bring back fan interest. The thing I'm curious to find out is how much of what is what.

True enough. If they're willing to start doing more changes, then I'm going trust them to make the games more awesome. Gen V could really be show and tell.

I was disappointed with Brawl (mainly the character roster), but i like it better than Melee overall. And I know the only reason I'm so disappointed with it is because I hyped myself for it and speculated so much. Same thing happened with KH2 cause I hyped it too much. I've learned not to hype things too much. You usually end up liking the final thing more if you don't. That's why I've been trying not to hype things like Zelda, Pokemon, KH Birth By Sleep, etc too much.

I didn't mind the roster too much until I really starting playing the game. A bunch new characters seem to be worse than the ones that got replaced. Sonic, for example, is too cheap and should be replaced for the new game.

Totally true. I remember all the hype for a movie and being totally disappointed in the end. My friend was trying to hype me up for HG/SS and I was like "NO." because I wasn't going to be disappointed. And lo behold, I liked HG more than I thought. I've learned to not hype anything too mcuh, especially popular stuff.

Totally true. I remember all the hype for a movie and being totally disappointed in the end. My friend was trying to hype me up for HG/SS and I was like "NO." because I wasn't going to be disappointed. And lo behold, I liked HG more than I thought. I've learned to not hype anything too mcuh, especially popular stuff.

Same here. Sure, I'm pretty excited about Gen V coming soon, but I don't feel alot of hype about it either. I'm keeping it on the down-low for now until more info comes within the next few months leading up to the games' release.:smokin:

I seen somebody here mention something about wanting to choose which stats would get raised after your Pokemon are leveled up. I think that'd be a pretty cool idea too. That's something that I'd like to do with my Garchomp in Platinum, I've given it some Irons or whichever one it was that raises Defense, and it's not workin' too well.

I hope not. Filling in gaps was half the sinnohdex, and that brought up some highly suspect design work. More mono-types, please, they tend to make for more iconic pokémon

Tullio

I know what you mean...but I've always wanted a Reptile type dragon. (Dragon/Grass)

I know what you mean...but I've always wanted a Reptile type dragon. (Dragon/Grass)

That would be awesome.

It would be nice if some of the pokemon actually were allows 3 types. Like Charizard : Dragon, Flying and Fire. More challenges, IMO.

I have to say, I've read all 7 pages so far and I was amazed that HMs were only mentioned twice or so. I guess there aren't many people who share my opinion that the HM system needs to be revamped in some way. Many of the moves are pretty bad, and having to keep/transfer an HM mule in your party takes up valuable space.

I think that one thing they could do is to improve some of the crappier HM moves drastically. Cut and Rock Smash come to mind instantly. Raising the base power on these would go a long way in making them useful and indeed desirable moves.

Barring that, it would be interesting if they extended the abilities that HMs provide to other moves. Maybe moves like Slash, Aerial Ace, and other slicing/shredding based attacks could work equally well at slicing down trees. And I can imagine that climbing walls would be easy with Vine Whip.

A second idea would be to give specific Pokemon the power to do these things on their own without having to learn a special move, kind of like an ability but secondary to that. I think Kabutops and Scyther could probably slice down a tree without needing to learn it from an HM, and Machamp could probably push boulders without knowing Strength.

Alternatively, maybe there could be a fifth, alternative slot for learning HM moves only. That way your Pokemon would not be burdened by troublesome moves while the game preserves its flow by not allowing you to surf/fly/cut/etc. too early.

I realize that these ideas are likely impractical, and they would break backward compatibility and could even damage the very game flow that HMs were designed to preserve. I don't know, I've just always been bothered by the way they were implemented and I feel like there are alternatives that can keep the mechanisms intact while allowing diversity with moves and party lineup.

Well, that went on longer than I thought it would...

Many of the moves are pretty bad, and having to keep/transfer an HM mule in your party takes up valuable space.

I agree with you here.

This is one of the things that bother me.
I've got a bundle of pokemon that I could fill up the space with, but Bidoof is VIP, right?

But, I'm sure they won't change anything about the HM system/mechanics. It would disturb the flow of what they got going, as you stated. Besides, I don't see that many people complaining about it, so it's not a big issue.

Thanks.

Actually what I think might happen is that you would have one pokemon out of the pokeball in the first slot and the other six slots are available.

Re: Things that should go away.

4. Berry Trees dying. Or maybe I'm the only person in the world that has a problem with this? I love the berry system, I do, but I don't have the type, nor the patience, to walk around the world every day, just to pick berries or water them so I don't loose them forever. Unless this has changed since S/R, the system seriously annoys me. Especially when I have started a new game, and don't know basic moves like fly yet. >__>

I actually like the berry system as it is because it's more realistic this way.(if you want to farm some barries you have to learn the basics of real farming:planting,watering and collecting the harvest before it gets rotten and you lose it).Looks like farming isn't for everybody.My advice to you is:if you don't have the patience to pick and water barries, DON'T.It's not like you can't do without them until such a time when you have learned the move fly.

Another thing i hope would change is the rarity of the starters.This fact has always bugged me.How come you can't incounter any of the starters at any stage in the wild but you can catch at least a legendary in the game.The starters are effectivelly rearer than the legendaries.

And another thing that i hope would change,though i doubt it, is the fact that we are forced to start with one of three pokemon families when there are currently 58 complete pokemon families(with three evolutionary stages) any one of which is suitable to be a starter.It's simple really: you chose a pokemon and the rival choses a pokemon of whatever type is oposite to the type of your chosen pokemon.I always liked fire,grass and bug pokemon but i wanted to start with different pokemon than the starters.I wanted to start with magby as the fire type and oddish or lotad as the grass type.Instead i was forced to choose between chimchar and turtwig.In the older games i was jealous of the first trainers because they had caterpie and nothing else.I wanted to start with caterpie but i couldn't because i was forced to choose between only three pokemon.I understand that back in the first two generations there weren't that many complete pokemon families ,but now? why the restrictions?In the fourth generation i chose turtwig as my starter.When i finished the game turtwig was still unevolved because right after i caught another pokemon i put turtwig in a storage box and never took it out again.

And here we have another instance when we could have an evo of an old pokemon. That's right, I'm talking about tropius. I love tropius and it's a pretty good pokemon without and evo but I think it could use an evolution.

I think that one thing they could do is to improve some of the crappier HM moves drastically. Cut and Rock Smash come to mind instantly. Raising the base power on these would go a long way in making them useful and indeed desirable moves.

Barring that, it would be interesting if they extended the abilities that HMs provide to other moves. Maybe moves like Slash, Aerial Ace, and other slicing/shredding based attacks could work equally well at slicing down trees. And I can imagine that climbing walls would be easy with Vine Whip.

A second idea would be to give specific Pokemon the power to do these things on their own without having to learn a special move, kind of like an ability but secondary to that. I think Kabutops and Scyther could probably slice down a tree without needing to learn it from an HM, and Machamp could probably push boulders without knowing Strength.

Alternatively, maybe there could be a fifth, alternative slot for learning HM moves only. That way your Pokemon would not be burdened by troublesome moves while the game preserves its flow by not allowing you to surf/fly/cut/etc. too early.

I realize that these ideas are likely impractical, and they would break backward compatibility and could even damage the very game flow that HMs were designed to preserve. I don't know, I've just always been bothered by the way they were implemented and I feel like there are alternatives that can keep the mechanisms intact while allowing diversity with moves and party lineup.

Those ideas are very good. Only the second idea might be too limited as a Player would have to get a certain Pokemon to use that fits what is needed.

I like the first idea since Surf proves to be a great move despite being an HM. And the third as that way a Player doesn't have to worry about HM taking an move slot that could be used for something else. Or keeping slaves to do the jobs.

And they could always work around it to get a better flow that uses the idea of the original flow.

The trainers, all the time I find myself fighting a fisher spammed with Magikarp or a rancher or farmer!

And another thing that i hope would change,though i doubt it, is the fact that we are forced to start with one of three pokemon families when there are currently 58 complete pokemon families(with three evolutionary stages) any one of which is suitable to be a starter.It's simple really: you chose a pokemon and the rival choses a pokemon of whatever type is oposite to the type of your chosen pokemon.
OMG this has been bugginG me FOREVER. I've noticed that in the games and the anime when characters start with different pokemon, like a bellsprout or a meowth or a pidgey or something. I seriously said to myself, 'Why can't I start with a meowth or a weedle if they can?'

OMG this has been bugginG me FOREVER. I've noticed that in the games and the anime when characters start with different pokemon, like a bellsprout or a meowth or a pidgey or something. I seriously said to myself, 'Why can't I start with a meowth or a weedle if they can?'

Yep, even IN THE GAMES, you're the only one (or one of a few) with a Charmander or a Mudkip, and that's awkward. I mean, according to the storyline, you end up with a starter Pokémon incidentally or accidentally, but never on purpose (save RBG and the retconned start in Platinum), but now that's as clichéd as the villanous teams and the gym thing. I'd like a new start for the story, like someone else (NOT THE PROFESSOR) giving you your first Pokémon or actually catching it by yourself in the wild, like Wally did in RSE. Or why not start already with your own Pokémon(reminds me of Red's Poliwag in the Adventures manga)?

Back in 1998, I wanted to start with Abra or Machop... until I fell in love with Blastoise and Charizard after seeing those awesome boxarts. But no other starter has caught me like those two T_T

I'd like to see item storage again. It was nice not having to leave important items laying around because my bag was full, but I really didn't like the ammount of stuff in my bag as time went on. Its really anoying to have to go through all that stuff just to get to the one item you need (which is always at the bottom of the list). I tried to organize my bag once too... never again...

I'd like both item storage and unlimited bag. That way, my bag doesn't get filled up unnecessary, and I can just drop of the items I don't use for now, and pick them up later, for better system in my bag.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom