• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that should go away/be changed

Re: Things that should go away.

I REALLY want the alternate-gender rivals to go. They haven't been entertaining - ever. There have been 3: May/Brendan in RSE, Dawn/Lucas in DPPt, and Kotone/Whatever in HGSS. In RSE, you fight this rival 4 times. You fight this rival zero times in DPPt, with 2 double battle. I don't have the data on this rival in HGSS. Based on the previous two, we can say that you don't really battle these rivals very much.

However, my peeve is how they are an excuse for the developers to lead you by the hand in a forced in-game tutorial. Need the Itemfinder? Don't worry, this rival will hand it to you with a long explanation, even if you could figure it out on your own. Need some random item? Your rival has it to give it to you when the developers feel your ready (No skill required). Passing by the daycare center or need to learn how to catch pokemon? Don't fret, this rival has the abilities to pep you with cheer and friendship.

Seriously, these rivals bug the heck out of me. They're obviously not considered the real rivals, or else there wouldn't be the need to have another one. They only serve to make the game more linear. From what I've seen, this rival in HGSS now makes the Daycare Center a required visit, explaining the features to you. Great, 5 more minutes I have no control for. I don't like being walked around like a show dog to be spoken at. The alternate-gender rivals have shown to be nothing but.

Jean-Luc Pikachu said:
It WOULD take more effort, but it's improvements like that that I would expect from a new Gen.

I, and many other people, on the other hand, prefer to see improvements in the story, characters, game features, usability, gameplay (where aplicable), and functionality.

There's always some give-and-take with game development. You can't expect to be 100% in every part without sacrificing some other stuff, unless you've already got something that works wonderfully and doesn't need to be tweaked. They did a good job of bringing the graphics up to a DS-level quality with DPPt and made great strides in the functionality and story with HGSS. I feel like they need to bring more of that to the table over the looks.

DPP took up half the size of the gamecard. Game Freak is a COMPANY and I except graphical changes too. I would say "yeah, these people have a life, it'll be fine" if this was a fan project, but it's a COMPANY that makes MONEY. They aren't doing this from the goodness of their hearts, and if I'm going to shell out another 30+ bucks after HG/SS for a new Generation I expect improvement in all areas. It would be more practical to use 3D models but you can't just say "everything is a trade off, let's not improve a major area of the game". Keep in mind HG/SS IS BASED ON A GAME THAT CAME OUT ALMOST TEN YEARS AGO. There are minor story tweaks in the later events of the game, but we shouldn't have to be working back up to where we were in Gen II. In an entirely new generation I expect improvements on EVERYTHING. We could have said "forget the animations in Crystal and give us more story". After all, Red and Blue only used, like, two colors, so it would be too complicated! Let's make a Pokemon game with the plot of a Shakespearean play with Atari graphics to make it easier for GameFreak.

To people who've went against my first post:

Someone from somewhere said:
So I've been thinking recently, in recent years Game Freak have come up with a bunch of new types of trainers (and by types of trainers, I mean Youngsters, Bug Catchers etc) in 3rd and 4th gen. A few from 3rd gen managed to make their debuts in Kanto in Fire Red and Leaf Green. Some are okay, but what kinds of trainers do you not want to see.

Here are mine:

Breeders - Okay, when I'm strolling through the wilds battling trainers to boost the levels of my pokemon for the gym in the upcoming city, I stumble across a Breeder or two. These guys come equipped with 3+ baby pokemon that give a paltry amount of experience points upon defeat, resulting in my leaving the battle with the thought "what a waste of time". To make matters worse, they tend to delay the battle by using status-effecting moves.

Cowboys - Can't remember what they're really called, but did we really need a bunch of Texan ranchers added to the trainer ranks?

Ninja Boys - The worst and most idiotic types of trainers.

Fisherman with Magikarp x6 - Fishermen are fine, except for the one guy in every single game who happens to have six Magikarp early on in the game. At such an early point in the game, they won't be dying easily, and they're always faster than your pokemon with their base 80 Speed, so you get to see them Splash at least twice before receiving your grand 12 experience points for defeating them.

Ace Trainers/Cooltrainers - They would be completely fine if they weren't so damn arrogant.

It's already proven that the fourth generation games aren't even on the largest available DS chip, so I believe we're allowed to demand more frames for the sprites.

o_O really? well....thank you!

Wow. I never knew that!

o_o Y'know, that's really something they should put in the manual. (Thanks for the tip.)

that is something that should be in a manual!

but sephiroth, how did you find out?

Heh, didn't expect the "golden hand" was so unknown :p You're welcome. Actually, I don't even remember when I found out about it, I've been using it for years :p Yes, it's been around since Ruby and Sapphire, though the mass move tool was introduced in FRLG. And X or Y activates it on the GameCube games, can't remember which button (might be both).

I had to check the manual; it has only a small paragraph about "Someone's PC". Guess they should expand that.

Well, the Breeders I agree with- generally people who raise cute little baby Pokemon wouldn't be battling them against random strangers I suppose. The Ninja Boys are like the annoying kids at a Halloween party so that adds realism. The Cowboys bring in some of the most intriguing aspects of Western culture and aid to the familiarity of the game with American audiences. The Fishermen make me laugh and are quite enjoyable, if only for their humor, and there are lots of arrogant asses in real life- but, just as in real life, it's more fun to crush them after they've been so mean.

To people who've went against my first post:

So, we should just get rid of variety altogether. :/

That being said, don't drop a single thing. In regard to cries, I do agree with going the Stadium route in regards to cries - at least update them to Generation IV standard. In regard to sprites, I'm calling for higher-quality sprites with high-quality animations. I'm not calling for BlazBlue or KoF12-level HQ sprites, but something more than just the pixelated stuff we have right now.

Hey, as long as they make them better, Gen IV quality would be great. Better than Stadium is even better- I just use it as an example since, despite being 10 years old, it still has better Pokemon sounds than our current DS games @_@

Well true. I didn't really look at that post (the quote, I mean) but sooner or later they'll hit the wall with new trainer ideas.

There's a few things I think could be given a miss in the new generation...

• Inscense (Why can't they just have Pokemon that you breed and get the baby form, like back in Gold and Silver? Who cares about continuity?)
  • "Annoying men" who won't let you pass no matter how hard you try (which, let's face it, is just a lazy excuse to stop the player entering a new area, without having to invent another HM)
  • Tentacool (Why is it in every single region? And on the water routes where you do find it, it's the ONLY Pokemon there. They're really hard to escape from and use Acid on all your Pokemon, poisoning them, and then you realise you've run out of Antidotes. It's as if Game Freak WANT to annoy us.)
  • Naff Pokemon designs (Claydol and Bronzong)

I like the old cries the way they are. What I think they should do is make the newer Pokemon's cries sound more like the old ones.

Yeah, I would hate to have to rip out my headphones/mute the game every time a new Pokemon goes out.

DPP took up half the size of the gamecard. Game Freak is a COMPANY and I except graphical changes too. I would say "yeah, these people have a life, it'll be fine" if this was a fan project, but it's a COMPANY that makes MONEY. They aren't doing this from the goodness of their hearts, and if I'm going to shell out another 30+ bucks after HG/SS for a new Generation I expect improvement in all areas. It would be more practical to use 3D models but you can't just say "everything is a trade off, let's not improve a major area of the game". Keep in mind HG/SS IS BASED ON A GAME THAT CAME OUT ALMOST TEN YEARS AGO. There are minor story tweaks in the later events of the game, but we shouldn't have to be working back up to where we were in Gen II. In an entirely new generation I expect improvements on EVERYTHING. We could have said "forget the animations in Crystal and give us more story". After all, Red and Blue only used, like, two colors, so it would be too complicated! Let's make a Pokemon game with the plot of a Shakespearean play with Atari graphics to make it easier for GameFreak.

It's meaningful improvements vs. inconsequential improvements. As a matter of fact, I'm with you, they shouldn't give us anything less than what we've seen in DPPtHGSS. In addition, I expect graphical updates too, but I'd rather they focus their attention on stuff that's going to enhance the gameplay and make me want to keep coming back to replay the game for years to come. Getting Pikachu to fart around for 3 more frames isn't worth it to me, but maybe it sparks something in you.

Also, I don't see why bringing up the DS cart space has to do with anything. So, it can hold much more than what they put on the game initially. But I don't think the issue was ever about filling up the game card. To me, it sounds like they consciously decided to hold everything to a specific standard (so the whole shebang: graphics, gameplay, and extra data; all were tailored to be what they are). Thus, the empty room for places to visit, things to do, people to meet and battle, is ready and waiting to be filled.

Have Square-Enix partner with GameFreak on this...

Yeah, I doubt it, but it'd be to-die-for graphics...maybe...

It's meaningful improvements vs. inconsequential improvements. As a matter of fact, I'm with you, they shouldn't give us anything less than what we've seen in DPPtHGSS. In addition, I expect graphical updates too, but I'd rather they focus their attention on stuff that's going to enhance the gameplay and make me want to keep coming back to replay the game for years to come. Getting Pikachu to fart around for 3 more frames isn't worth it to me, but maybe it sparks something in you.

Also, I don't see why bringing up the DS cart space has to do with anything. So, it can hold much more than what they put on the game initially. But I don't think the issue was ever about filling up the game card. To me, it sounds like they consciously decided to hold everything to a specific standard (so the whole shebang: graphics, gameplay, and extra data; all were tailored to be what they are). Thus, the empty room for places to visit, things to do, people to meet and battle, is ready and waiting to be filled.

Nah, I think we're actually in agreement- it's not so much that I want more frames no matter what, it's that the way they're doing it now doesn't look very smooth. I just want updates in all areas somehow.

And Alpha- Kingdom Hearts DS. That's all I will say. D:

Nah, I think we're actually in agreement- it's not so much that I want more frames no matter what, it's that the way they're doing it now doesn't look very smooth. I just want updates in all areas somehow.

And Alpha- Kingdom Hearts DS. That's all I will say. D:

Kingdom hearts 358/2 Days actually. There is no game out on the market with the name "Kingdom Hearts DS". Just a little nit-picking.

Anyways, on topic: the only thing I think should go away is poffins. I hate creating those things, and it annoys me even more that they are required to get certain things like evolving Feebas.

I'd also like to see them do away with those godawful Game Boy quality pokemon screeches and replace them with better quality cries.

That's very old. They should replace the cries with the anime versions. I'd rather have them cutely say their names than hear them screech like a constipated dinosaur! Ridiculous.

I'm probably alone on this but playing Platinum, I found the underground feature arduous as hell. I'd rather it had been removed, then have to spend 30 minutes taking orders from that old man to get down there.

^nah I don't think the underground was popular at all, so most people are in agreement there.

Myself included. I couldn't get spiritomb.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom