• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that should go away/be changed

I would love to see them get rid of Evs/IVs and replace it with something far less confusing. I have yet to figure IVs out and I am not good at EVs.

I would love to see them get rid of Evs/IVs and replace it with something far less confusing. I have yet to figure IVs out and I am not good at EVs.

Well, you don't really need to understand EVs and IVs unless you want to battle competitively. Thats the reason the system is good. You can ignore, just play the storyline game, and be no worse off, or you can use it to create a competitive team if you wish.

Well, you don't really need to understand EVs and IVs unless you want to battle competitively. Thats the reason the system is good. You can ignore, just play the storyline game, and be no worse off, or you can use it to create a competitive team if you wish.

I just would like it to be easier to do since I love to battle but right now I am not very good against human players.

I think the best compromise between simplifying the EV/IV system and keeping things the way they are is to give the player some way IN GAME to view their pokemon's IVs/EVs. It could be something as simple as an extra 'page' on their summary page, or an option when viewing a pokemon in your PC.

I do think the partial randomness that comes with the IV system should be removed, however. No matter how good of a breeder you are, if you're unlucky, there's nothing you can do. However, since it is an 'unessential' element to gameplay, this wouldn't be such a big deal to me.

This is a game, kid. Don't look at it so logically. Those myths are there for us to infer that is what happened in the Pokemon world. I doubt all that stuff is in there so people can say, "Well, that is what COULD have happened, but there is a chance it's false!" It's a kids game...all that "logic" doesn't need to be applied.

Oh sure, because no media marketed at kids has ever had extra interpretations thrown in for the older audience as well. :|

Yeah, Pokémon games will always be kid-friendly - but that's a very different thing from being two-dimensional with a flat world that's exactly what it appears on the surface. Game Freak knows that a lot of fans are older now, and the games have gotten deeper and at least a little more mature over time.

And cut the condescension, by the way - there's no need for that.

I think the best compromise between simplifying the EV/IV system and keeping things the way they are is to give the player some way IN GAME to view their pokemon's IVs/EVs. It could be something as simple as an extra 'page' on their summary page, or an option when viewing a pokemon in your PC.

I do think the partial randomness that comes with the IV system should be removed, however. No matter how good of a breeder you are, if you're unlucky, there's nothing you can do. However, since it is an 'unessential' element to gameplay, this wouldn't be such a big deal to me.

Maybe a "special exam" or checkup preformed in a PokeCenter, say in the third or forth town?

They should just revamp the system entirely in my opinion.

Now, this would mean that Gen V couldn't be compatable with previous gens, which makes this an empty wish. I'll still dream though:

The system as it is is complicated and based on luck. Getting good IVs means having the patience to wait for the jackpot in the lottery. Nobody plays pokemon for the hidden, complicated statistics. People play pokemon for the battle-heavy action. IVs and EVs are not a barrier to this in single-player. However, if you want to play online, these systems are a massive barrier to playing.

Nobody plays pokemon for the IVs or EVs. They are a complicated system that detracts from the experience. The enjoyment you can receive from charting your IVs is akin to the enjoyment of plugging numbers into Microsoft Excel. That's not an experience that belongs in Pokemon, a game for all players, of all places.

As such, I think that the idea of 'fixing' the system by making it visible is solving the wrong problem (Though I'd take a patch for this system since they're obviously not changing it for the next generation. The patches for breeding in HGSS are appreciated, even if it only makes the system slightly less cumbersom.). I think that the system needs a giant overhaul. And it starts with making it more accessible and understandable to players:

First, instead of applying EVs (I don't care how realistic they are), why couldn't the game just say to the player "Level up! Pick a stat to receive a bonus!". If that breaks the flow too much, then have the game chart EVs is a visible way: make a page of EVs that the pokemon has earned, and instead of applying them automatically, allow the player to activate stored EVs (There could be an item for it, if it would make realistic players happy). Either way, charting EVs on a pokemon that must fight specific pokemon the entire time as a system HAS TO GO.

On IVs, I don't have a workable fix yet. If a patch were to be applied, I'd go with the one in RBY's system, where there were only 15 possible IV values instead of 31. That at least makes it easier to keep track of.

I think EVs need to be ditched completely in favor of bringing back the stat exp. system. With EVs, you are only able to max out two stats. Since defensive pokemon have to use three stats (HP, Defense, Sp. Defense), while sweepers only need two (Speed and either Attack or Sp. Attack), the system favors sweepers and I feel that's one of the things that's led to the sweeper-heavy metagame.

But yeah, that's a pipe dream since they'd have to break backwards compatibility.

I think EVs need to be ditched completely in favor of bringing back the stat exp. system. With EVs, you are only able to max out two stats. Since defensive pokemon have to use three stats (HP, Defense, Sp. Defense), while sweepers only need two (Speed and either Attack or Sp. Attack), the system favors sweepers and I feel that's one of the things that's led to the sweeper-heavy metagame.

But yeah, that's a pipe dream since they'd have to break backwards compatibility.

Maybe learn what strategy is before wanting to take down a whole system because "OMG SWEEPERS!!!!!!!11111"

-At least 60% of the new Pokemon should be unusual dual types. Stuff like Dragon/Grass, Fighting/Water, Fire/Psychic, Ground/Ice, etc.

-The regional dex should contain more than half the amount of Pokemon in the National Dex. For example, if the next gen has a total of 600 Pokemon you should be able to see about 370-400 Pokemon pre-national dex.

-The more badges you earn the more Pokemon the trainers you meet should have on their team. So after you earn your sixth badge the majority of the remaining trainers should have five or six Pokemon each. Trainers should also have a lot more evolved Pokemon and more variety.

-The surrounding caves, lakes, grass areas, etc for each town or city should have at least 20 different Pokemon each.

-Dual type gyms but the Pokemon themselves don’t have to necessarily be both types. For example if a gym specializes in fighting and electric Pokemon, Pokemon “xyz” doesn’t have to be an electric/fighting. The gum leader and gym trainers can have 3 fighting and 1 electric, or maybe 2 fighting and 2 electric. Mix and match.

-You can rebattle any trainer at any time, just ask them. The level of their Pokemon wont increase until after you beat the Elite Four but you wont be required to use the VS Seeker, Phone Call, Trainer Eyes, or whatever.

-Purchasable TM’s after each badge you earn. They can charge the best ones for an insane amount of money but nevertheless you should be able to buy them as you please if you have the cash.

-Minigames for each major town or city to break the monotony between battles. Prizes such as stones, pearls, shards, healing items, etc can be offered depending upon your score.

Other than improved graphics and a better story that’s pretty much all I want to see changed.

I'm failing to see why "luck-based" = bad.

Keep in mind that the way EVs and IVs are used by the competitive community are kind of the opposite of the spirit of battle Game Freak and the games try to put forward - they're not going to suddenly encourage stat-grinding and selectivity by making EVs and IVs visible.

I have no problem with EVs and IVs existing really. I don't pay attention to them or worry about them at(though I never use rare candies still), and it doesn't affect things at all for me when I play in-game or with my other friends who likewise don't worry about them. And the EVs and IVs give people who are into those things something to NERD RAGE about, and being a fellow nerd I understand the importance of needing to nerd rage over something. Taking away EVs and IVs will take away their nerd rage outlet.

It's like in Super Smash Bros. how competitive players perfer Melee over Brawl because Brawl removed the glitches that they abuse and NERD RAGE over, while mroe casual players like myself like Brawl for what it is. I wouldn't be surprised if competitive players still played Gen IV competitively over Gen V if they removed things like EVs and IVs, unless they added another feature that work similarly that they could nerd rage over.

-At least 60% of the new Pokemon should be unusual dual types. Stuff like Dragon/Grass, Fighting/Water, Fire/Psychic, Ground/Ice, etc.

I hope not. Filling in gaps was half the sinnohdex, and that brought up some highly suspect design work. More mono-types, please, they tend to make for more iconic pokémon

Tullio

I'm failing to see why "luck-based" = bad.

Keep in mind that the way EVs and IVs are used by the competitive community are kind of the opposite of the spirit of battle Game Freak and the games try to put forward - they're not going to suddenly encourage stat-grinding and selectivity by making EVs and IVs visible.

It's not bad, per say... It just depends on how the luck is used. With IVs, it's more troublesome with it's depending on luck. I think all RPGs need some type luck used in their systems, but sometimes it just a pain to try to get something that depends on random luck. I know of an example, but at the moment I can't remember it.

I doubt the way IV/EV are used totally opposite; I think it's just something that Game Freak wouldn't want to prominently put forth as then less of the fans would be laidback with playing. I can see them not wanting Pokemon to be mostly competitive and less just for fun, but rather as it is now. I can't see them having a problem with those that use the system to get competitive, they wouldn't just encourage so much that casual players would be turned off.

I do like Phoenicks' idea on how to change it, but I can understand why Game Freak keeps such things hidden. Maybe it's time for two actual different versions of Pokemon. One for casual with the current system and one for those that want get a more competitive value out of their games with a different system.

And the EVs and IVs give people who are into those things something to NERD RAGE about, and being a fellow nerd I understand the importance of needing to nerd rage over something. Taking away EVs and IVs will take away their nerd rage outlet.

It's like in Super Smash Bros. how competitive players perfer Melee over Brawl because Brawl removed the glitches that they abuse and NERD RAGE over, while mroe casual players like myself like Brawl for what it is. I wouldn't be surprised if competitive players still played Gen IV competitively over Gen V if they removed things like EVs and IVs, unless they added another feature that work similarly that they could nerd rage over.

Being a nerd myself, I think glitches and battle systems are a bit different. With a different system, nerds can still rage over it if it's good enough. With glitches, each new game we have less to have fun abusing, so I can see why they would prefer an older game rather than the new one. If they remove EV/IVs, as long as they replace it with something better, nerds can still rage over it and not to mention, more glitches can pop up. Double bonus!

What else would you describe a caricature of "OMG SWEEPERS!!!!!!" as?

Yelling seeing at it's in caps followed by exclamation marks, if I said he was whining I would have told him so, you see I'm not afraid to voice my opinion of what I think other people Phoenicks.

Anyways if you just use a strategy you can beat sweepers with walls or tanks..while yes EVs effect things there are moves which will help you cripple and destroy sweepers. Other times it's a good thing to try fight sweepers with sweepers.

Maybe it's time for two actual different versions of Pokemon. One for casual with the current system and one for those that want get a more competitive value out of their games with a different system.
Er. No thanks. Save the 'alternative gamplay' for the spin-offs.

You know, IVs and EVs were originally meant as a way to diversify the Pokemon population, so that (under normal circumstances) no two Pokemon would be alike. EVs were reworked so you couldn't max them all out in each stat, thereby making you think about what to level out (and ultimately giving you less work to worry about). It's the players that take it to such a high level of degree with competition. Why not just implement more user-friendly resources to allow them to better get what they want (which is Max 31's across the board, double 252 stats, and all that great crap).

So I wouldn't like a change, or at least not a complete overhaul. The competitive players will simply move on to the next big metagaming part regardless, so I don't think they should throw away this system they've spent 10+ years refining. Where as, if they adjust it to allow easy-access for the metagame players to do their thing, they also invite the average player to do the same. They've made tiny advancements over the games to accomplish this.

Reading peoples' posts, trying to get a feel for what the collective desire is, it's too all over the place. People want something new, but not different. Or more of the same, while less of this and that. Trying to balance everyone's suggestings, I imagine if GF took the time to consider each one, they wouldn't have enough time to actually get the games done.

Being a nerd myself, I think glitches and battle systems are a bit different. With a different system, nerds can still rage over it if it's good enough. With glitches, each new game we have less to have fun abusing, so I can see why they would prefer an older game rather than the new one. If they remove EV/IVs, as long as they replace it with something better, nerds can still rage over it and not to mention, more glitches can pop up. Double bonus!

Yeah like I said, "unless they added another feature that work similarly that they could nerd rage over", which they most likely would. Just plain removing EVs and IVs or replacing it with a system far less deep would probably result in Gen IV being used more for competitive battling. Who knows though.

And I guess the glitches in SSB wasn't the best example, though they also complain about the battle mechanics being different in Brawl as well, with the game being more "floaty" as they put it, and different mechanics working somewhat different. So SSB still works as an example.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom