• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things You Don't Want To See In ORAS

Know what I really hated in the originals? Jumping through friggin' hoops to get a Feebas. That random tile bullcrap. It was like playing Russian roulette with all but one of the chambers filled but instead of instant death via bullet you just waste either minutes or hours of your life depending on how lucky you are searching for a damn fish.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned that yet since I didn't bother reading the earlier pages and this is my first time on the forum in ages, but yeah. That's the main thing at the moment just because I remember getting irrationally upset looking for the stupid thing.

Know what I really hated in the originals? Jumping through friggin' hoops to get a Feebas. That random tile bullcrap. It was like playing Russian roulette with all but one of the chambers filled but instead of instant death via bullet you just waste either minutes or hours of your life depending on how lucky you are searching for a damn fish.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned that yet since I didn't bother reading the earlier pages and this is my first time on the forum in ages, but yeah. That's the main thing at the moment just because I remember getting irrationally upset looking for the stupid thing.
I say leave it as is - the main difference between then and now is that we have a GTS now.

I say leave it as is - the main difference between then and now is that we have a GTS now.

Isn't that just a reason why they SHOULDN'T leave it as it is?
I mean, which person in their right mind would wast their time trying to look for one Pokemon when they could find it on the GTS more easily? Especially considering that people that haven't played RS before, or those that don't know about the Feebas, won't look for it anyway. It would become useless to leave the feebas in ORAS as it was before, since no one would try to catch it anyway.

It literally took me years to find a Feebas in Emerald. In fact, I only found it three weeks ago.

It literally took me years to find a Feebas in Emerald. In fact, I only found it three weeks ago.
Damn i should play on the lottery because it took me 15 minutes to fish a Feebas in Sapphire.

Most veteran players ought to have a Feebas/Milotic by now. This will only really be a problem for people that cannot trade with their own games or don't have Pokémon Bank or are starting with ORAS. Anyone else can just breed one. I had to make a tile map of both water patches on Route 119 back then, which made the search not too difficult and even kinda fun. Still, should probably be changed for convenience's sake.

I found tiles less of a pain than rippling water, though.

For me it was the other way around. With a simple repel, the rippling water was guaranteed to show up eventually, and Feebas/Milotic were pretty easy to fish out. Tiles, on the other hand, annoyed the hell outta me. I first caught Feebas in Platinum, and that was hell. Not as hellish as trying to find one in Emerald, but still not fun.

I remember spending weeks and weeks trying to find a Feebas in Ruby...and when I finally did hook one, I KO'd it. That still bothers me.

Needles to say, I'm all in favor of making finding one easier.

I know I'm probably going to get a lot of hate or whatever for this, but to be honest, I liked most of the RSE the way it was, although to be honest as well, I rather it be more like Pokemon Emerald then Ruby/Sapphire. For example...

-Being able to battle both teams and not just one.
-Pokemon Emerald version of Pokenav, rather then the Ruby/Sapphire version. Most notably, Pokemon Emerald has Match Call, where Ruby/Sapphire does not.
- The Battle Frontier from EMERALD. NOT the one from Platnium/Soulsilver/Heartgold.
- Rayquaza is envolved like in Emerald in some way. It doesn't have to be as much as Emerald, but still a little bit.
- Wallace is the Champion while Steven takes on the role as a "Super-Trainer" like Red in GSC/HG,SS. (I'm going to get so much hate for this.)
- Difficulty setting like BW2, but from the beginning.

There's probably some other stuff I can think of later, but pretty much I was okay with everything in Pokemon X and Y (like new Exp. Share) that for some reason everyone doesn't like in this thread... I wouldn't mind that stuff from X/Y returning,

Basically, I guess pretty much like Pokemon Emerald with Ruby and Sapphire mixed in some, and with some stuff or whatever from X/Y, ya know?

Don't make it easier. Get over it, wusses.

Don't make Blaziken the only one with a mega evo.

I never thought I would hear someone say this. How is it harder to find a Pokemon in specific tiles when said tiles are actually marked? Seriously how? You could be looking for hours trying to find the right tile in RSE, but when they're marked and pop up frequently it takes like, 5 minutes.

I never thought I would hear someone say this. How is it harder to find a Pokemon in specific tiles when said tiles are actually marked? Seriously how? You could be looking for hours trying to find the right tile in RSE, but when they're marked and pop up frequently it takes like, 5 minutes.
Haha, my bad. I thought Feebas and Milotic had the same stupid encounter rate as non-Audino Pokémon in shaking grass do (5% and 1%). I never bothered catching another Feebas after I did it in Ruby and again in Emerald. I've just bred them since.

With the 65%/70% ratio of fishing them (Feebas/Milotic) in rippling water, yes. It is much easier in rippling water.

Here's what I don't want:
- Relicanth and Wailord required to get Regis. It took me a long time to get both of these (I was looking for 20 minutes to get a Relicanth and it took me two days to get my Wailmer up to a Wailord). Please make it easier.
- Unova/Kalos-style Gyms and Elite 4. Keep the Hoenn-style ones.

- Rival having an insignificant role. Expand May/Brendan's role, please. Have them show up.
- Lack of post-game. Seriously, we need lots of post-game.
- No post-game Safari Zone. Please give us Emerald's post-game Safari Zone expansion!

What I really want is them to incorporate elements of Emerald into these games.

For the love of Talos don't make that Regi sidequest easier! Part of the fun for me was searching for those two, and as everyone knows, its the journey to the destination that is most worth it. I felt so satisfied after finding them and getting the Regis that my family thought I had a mental breakdown.

As for the Elite Four, either buff up their teams levels from their original levels to make them more of a challenge or make the later ones scale up in level as you defeat them. This way, I can have my freedom of choice and you can have your challenge.

Haha, my bad. I thought Feebas and Milotic had the same stupid encounter rate as non-Audino Pokémon in shaking grass do (5% and 1%). I never bothered catching another Feebas after I did it in Ruby and again in Emerald. I've just bred them since.

With the 65%/70% ratio of fishing them (Feebas/Milotic) in rippling water, yes. It is much easier in rippling water.

I'd say even the 5% and 1% Rustling Grass Pokemon are easier, even. Having to search specific tiles for a particular Pokemon is just utterly ridiculous, it's a giant game of find the needle in the haystack that can take hours, and the fact that Feebas only appears roughly 20% of the time on the particular tile just makes things worse. Whereas with the Shaking Spots, you just need to wait a bit for them to appear. Even if it's a rare Pokemon, you'd have an easier time sifting through 100 Shaking Spot Pokemon than potentially 2000 Pokemon by searching every tile on the route.

I'd say even the 5% and 1% Rustling Grass Pokemon are easier, even. Having to search specific tiles for a particular Pokemon is just utterly ridiculous, it's a giant game of find the needle in the haystack that can take hours, and the fact that Feebas only appears roughly 20% of the time on the particular tile just makes things worse. Whereas with the Shaking Spots, you just need to wait a bit for them to appear. Even if it's a rare Pokemon, you'd have an easier time sifting through 100 Shaking Spot Pokemon than potentially 2000 Pokemon by searching every tile on the route.

And finding a needle in a haystack is much easier to ( hint get a magnet :p) i never knew how to get feebas until long after gen 3 had ended it's pain so hopefully he's easier to find in the remake

Perhaps. All sources I found today and back then all say Feebas has 50% chance of appearing in its tiles, though. Also, it's less than 2000 tiles. If I remember my map, it was even less than 200 water tiles in the entirety of Route 119.

What I did for the tile searching was fish with Old Rod (Fastest fishing in RSE) and I had made myself a tile map in a notebook. I fished 3 times in each tile. If I didn't find Feebas, I marked it and moved to the next. Didn't take me more than an hour that way.

Rustling grass on the other hand has ridiculously low percentages for certain Pokémon, and add the fact that you must waste time circling around to make them appear makes it waste as much time, if not more, than tile searching with the aid of a map. I know I couldn't stand it at least. I was really lucky to find a Sawk in a random rustling grass trek.

Still, if I have to pick between rippling water and specific tiles, gotta go with rippling water. The encounter ratios weren't anywhere near as horrid as those for rustling grass.

Last edited:
Perhaps. All sources I found today and back then all say Feebas has 50% chance of appearing in its tiles, though. Also, it's less than 2000 tiles. If I remember my map, it was even less than 200 water tiles in the entirety of Route 119.

What I did for the tile searching was fish with Old Rod (Fastest fishing in RSE) and I had made myself a tile map in a notebook. I fished 3 times in each tile. If I didn't find Feebas, I marked it and moved to the next. Didn't take me more than an hour that way.

It's 400 tiles, and if you're searching through them 3 times each (although I think that's too low, with a 20% encounter rate you really should search at least 5 times), that still you potentially 1200 wild encounters, which is far too many to be searching through. I find it very hard to believe that you could search through all of that in an hour unless you're lucky.

Rustling grass on the other hand has ridiculously low percentages for certain Pokémon, and add the fact that you must waste time circling around to make them appear makes it waste as much time, if not more, than tile searching with the aid of a map. I know I couldn't stand it at least. I was really lucky to find a Sawk in a random rustling grass trek.

Still, if I have to pick between rippling water and specific tiles, gotta go with rippling water. The encounter ratios weren't anywhere near as horrid as those for rustling grass.

I think part of the reason why Rustling Grass encounters were so low was because Audino was an important part of 5th gen's EXP system, and so they made it easy to find so you could grind on them. That's no longer the case this gen, and you can see that Audino is not nearly as common as it used to be as a result (like almost everything else in XY, it can only be found on one route in the game), so if they were to bring this mechanic back the way it was in 5th gen, the encounter rates probably would not be as ridiculously skewed as they were.

But even then, it only takes about 30 seconds max for Rustling Grass to appear (depending on how many Pokemon you've caught, they pop up more frequently as you catch more). So even the rarest ones don't usually take more than an hour to find.

I don't want the Safari to turn into a friend safari that is only accessible post E4.

I don't want to see plants blocking doors in houses, not sure what that was about again lol.

I don't want to see tons of water

I personally don't want to see them change the way to find Feebas by making it easier. It was just one of the challenges of the game that made it more rewarding to find one. I personally never found one in Emerald (as I didn't search for one) but I did take this challenge in Diamond, and I think I was down to the last 5 or so tiles when I finally found a Feebas. Can you imagine the accomplishment I felt after all that time? And, to be honest, perhaps because it was Post Game, but I didn't think it took all that long to fish for one in Mt. Coronet despite not finding it until I was almost out of tiles~

So, if anything, perhaps they could put Feebas in a few more tiles, like 8 or so, but I really wouldn't mind it staying the same.

Solution to the Feebas tiles problem:

The Feebas you fish from those tiles is holding Miloticite.
(Or the Miloticite is found within those tiles in some other fashion, to avoid repeats I guess. Maybe if you fish in them you fish the stone itself, avoiding the itemfinder.)

The idea is that because of how Milotic isn't as rare and unobtainable of a pokémon as it was back then for that to be the reward of that task, we reward it with Mega Milotic instead.

Back
Top Bottom