• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things You Like Better In Original Series

Comedy and more TR screentime.

Nowadays if it's not a contest, or a focus episode, they're only going to get 1-2 mins of screentime.

For once there was much more comedy and humor with emphasis being put on adventure and friends exploring world together in each other company.

Chemistry between main characters felt more organic, spontaneous and full of color. With original trio delivering together as main cast and antagonists who challenged their plans lot of sarcasm, playful banter, hilarious moments with their questionable escapades, flaring atmosphere and emotion(big credit goes to JJM trio too as they challenged main heroes plans with often brilliant and original approach back in day). As they helped to flesh out each other personalities and let their friendship breath in new directions. Growing in close and very supportive of each other group of friends.

Extra credit to Original series goes to fact of still having Misty around. Being
truly unique character who had lot of emotion, fire, passion and charisma. Had interesting pokemon, unique dreams of becoming water pokemon master reaching for big positions such as E4 members which we never had in main cast.

Contained big determination, persistence and love for water pokemon and battles being tough, strong girl which isn't damsel in distress and knows how to take care of herself. Making Kanto, Orange and Johto feel much richer thanks to her presence

But its not just that, its whole theme Original series promoted that I liked being designed to tell largely different view on world than what we are getting with newer generations. Containing arguably deeper, more mature content in this show. Being one of main reasons why i still appreciate this era of pokemon alot.

Its enough to take a look at arcs such as mentally disabled Sabrina developing twisted image on world(still amazes me how well written that arc was), giant squid monster Tentacruel destroying whole Porta Vista resembling 11 september attack which caused episode to end up temporarily banned, sending to viewers important message about nature and its role in human life.

Ninetales old couple of centuries waiting for return of its master who passed long ago not realizing his not coming back(for more curious ones episode im referring to is "Just Waiting on a Friend" from Johto). Pack of Houndour aggressively attacking anyone to find food for their sick comrade feeling endangered and desperate in their attempts.

Latios dying in fifth movie sacrificing own life to prevent destruction of Alto Mare city.
Giovanni launching offensive in finding mewtwo and his brethren clones in Mewtwo returns special exploring more on its psychological characteristics and inner thoughts. Contemplating if there will ever exist place for clones like him to find peace and live, or they will forever be viewed as outcast by human society wanting to distance himself from anything related to humans. Almost ending up killed in attempt to save it army of clones.

All of this moments made me excited, impressed and fond of Original series much more than i was able to be for future generations.

Another aspect which caught my attention and brought my level of enjoyment to higher level when watching OS was more emphasis put on psychological growth of human characters, their own feelings, past, various fears, motives and traumas questioning themselves and world around or learning how to overcome past flaws and move forward.

examples:
We can see that through writing centered around main protagonists too such as Brock and his siblings being abandoned by irresponsible parents having to take father role. Wanting to run away from that life and pursue his own dreams , growing up fast to be able to take care of his brothers and sisters. Or for Misty growing without parents and berated by sisters and everyone else leaving negative effect on her. To the point of developing facade of tough, tomboyish girl which inside felt vulnerable and just wanted support and approval she never really got from her family(explored more in episodes such as princess doll set, when confining herself to friend Sakura from Johto of Ash, Brock being her true "family" etc).

There was use of real guns, riffles, bombs, tanks etc. I especially well remember episode where Growlith were trained to stop robbers and disarm them. With OS portraying pokemon world as more rough, dangerous place with rainbows and sunshine not happening everywhere bringing sense of realism into plot.

Causing OS to become known for having highest number of banned episodes due to controversy following them for primarily kids show,.
Now im not saying how DP, BW,XY etc didn't had more mature elements in story. It would be foolish to deny that when taking look at Paul, Hunter J, Alain and Lysandre or even whole N arc.

But generally speaking i feel OS contained more charm, thought complexity and dramatic twists coming from writing staff. Genuinely enjoying in every single part of it.

This is just my opinion but i feel pokemon turned from family oriented anime(especially when mr. Shudo was still in charge)into more lighthearted, kid friendly show for most part as it became burdened by more attention being given to advertising and formulaic elements which weren't as noticeable so much back in day.

Naturally im still enjoying it, but just not to same level as i used to with OS being capable of delivering more unpredictable and thrilling sensation when being eager in waiting for next episode to air and what might come out of it. Due to writing staff experimenting so much back in day due to formula not being set yet.

From Kanto:
-Pikachu having a personality.
-Fleshed-out COTDs and gym leaders.
-Japan references.

From Kanto & Johto:
-Team Rocket having more memorable costumes.
-Gag Pokemon not being overused.
-More of Team Rocket as an organization.
-A rival with a snarky personality.

The use of Japanese. I think creating a whole new language because 4kids seemed to had demanded it's ridiculous, as well as using fewer elements from their own culture (remember the festivals, references, holiday specials, inside jokes, etc...?) Funny that Pokemon's the ONLY anime I've ever seen it happening, maybe it's the only indeed!

Anyway other stuff'd be the more adult jokes and less censore, way way less...

The use of Japanese. I think creating a whole new language because 4kids seemed to had demanded it's ridiculous, as well as using fewer elements from their own culture (remember the festivals, references, holiday specials, inside jokes, etc...?) Funny that Pokemon's the ONLY anime I've ever seen it happening, maybe it's the only indeed!

I agree 100%. I think a big part of the thing that drew people to Pokemon in the first place just how different it was from every other kids' show on TV, and the fact that it was a show made for Japanese audiences with no consideration for how foreigners will accept it was a big part of that. Kanto had more cultural references, more slapstick, and more "adult" humor. All of that would slowly get chipped away over the years until the show became the whitewashed, vanilla shadow of its former self that it is now.

Dialogue. The OS actually had funny snark-to-snark combat, much of it between Ash and Misty. BW tried to replicate it with Iris being Misty 2.0, but it never really went far beyond Iris' overused "What a kid!" line.

What I liked from the original series:
-the creative titles of some of the episode titles such as "The School of Hard Knocks", "Here comes the Squirtle Squad", and "A Chansey Operation"
-The theme song
-the BGM
-Ash and Pikachu's personalities
-Jessie, James, and Meowth's personalities
-Ekans, koffing, and victreebel
-Butch and Cassidy. Especially the mispronunciations of Butch's name

I didn't like OS as a whole but Kanto is definitely one of my favorite seasons.
I loved Ash's character.
TR was awesome and so were their pokemon.
Loads of Rocketshipping.
Tons of Humor.
Lots of Emotional episodes.
The Background music.
So,All I can say,Kanto,I miss you. :'(

The fact that there was actual tension in some of the episodes. A great example could be found right at the beginning when Satoshi defends Pikachu from all those Spearow. It really gave the feeling that both of their lives were truly in danger. All the tension in the current episodes just seems so shallow in comparison.

I definitely agree on the lack of Japanese culture as well. The fact that 4Kids likely demanded it be removed as well as the fact that the Japanese producers capitulated just rubs me the wrong way to say the least. Thanks to that, the show in its current state barely resembles the one that got me into anime/manga in the first place.

Like everyone else seems to be saying, I think the humor was better back then. There was a lot more of it, and a lot of different types of jokes. I miss all the running gags that existed such as Magikarp salesman, Jigglypuff, and James' Victreebell. I also think there was a lot more unusual things that could occur and that episodes followed the game much less. A lot more anime exclusive locations that were pretty cool. In general I think the episodes were a bit more creative. TR didn't always have to be the bad guys, they didn't always blast off from just a thunderbolt (I don't remember when exactly that started, but in my opinion it was a MAJOR copout), and the motto didn't have the stupid background it has now (they often did different stuff when they said it and wore all sorts of interesting costumes). In general I think there was a lot more creativity, danger, humor, intensity, and edginess. I think they have dummed it down a bit and made it much more PC for today's audience. Don't get me wrong, I love the current show, but those are some of the elements I would love to see return.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom