• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you liked + disliked about XY's plot

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Things I Liked:
  1. Ash X Serena
  2. Ash getting a Fully-evolved Water Starter AND A Pseudo-Legendary

Things I DIDN'T like:
  1. Ash losing to the most overpowered Gary stu since Tobias from Sinnoh
  2. Alain not being disqualified for his criminal affiliation once exposed
  3. Ash NOT Moving onto the Elite 4(If He needed to lose in order to move to the next region; He could just lose against one of the Region's elite 4 after winning the Pokemon League, It's not THAT hard to figure out a way for him to be able to continue, and have a League Victory under his belt; I Mean, He Won the Orange League and STILL Was allowed to move onto the next region; Why not do that for any of the video game regional leagues, Maybe he could(and DEFINITELY s-h-o-u-l-d) do that in Galar?!!

Liked:

• The way that Ash did serious training in this saga and earned his wins without too much cheapness.
  • The cast's chemistry as a whole unit. Only OS's cast was better as far as their charisma goes.
Disliked:

• Ash having three Flying-types on his Kalos team.
  • Ash having no genuine sixth Pokemon since Goodra wasn't on his team again until the League.
  • Ash not catching a Grass-type that could've filled that sixth empty slot.
  • Greninja pandering for almost the entirety of XYZ.
  • The Naruto rip-off scenes featuring Froakie's line mostly.
  • Several comedic and visual gags borrowed from other anime in general.
  • James once again only having one Pokemon while Jessie had two. Also him not evolving Inkay.
  • Bonnie's presence in the cast in general. She brought nothing of value and mainly did """"cute"""" things.
  • Serena's lack of motivation at the start of the saga and her going almost a year with no goal.
  • AmourShipping.
  • The fact that the 2nd and 3rd Mega Evo specials didn't feature Zinnia.
  • Also the fact that Iris didn't get a Kalos comeback.
  • The lack of noteworthy ORAS promotion in the XY saga itself outside of Sawyer and a few wild Pokemon.
  • Tierno, Trevor and Shauna being awfully bland friendly rivals who may as well have not existed.
  • Showcase arc being rushed. Also the decision to change Serena's goal to Contests when Showcases ended.
  • Alain showing up in the main series and wrecking everyone.
  • NO Drasna or Wikstrom in actual episodes. Also no Chatelaines.

• Ash having three Flying-types on his Kalos team.
  • Ash having no genuine sixth Pokemon since Goodra wasn't on his team again until the League.
  • Greninja pandering for almost the entirety of XYZ.
  • The Naruto rip-off scenes featuring Froakie's line mostly.
  • Several comedic and visual gags borrowed from other anime in general.
  • James once again only having one Pokemon while Jessie had two. Also him not evolving Inkay.
  • Bonnie's presence in the cast in general. She brought nothing of value and mainly did """"cute"""" things.
  • Serena's lack of motivation at the start of the saga and her going almost a year with no goal.
  • AmourShipping.
  • The fact that the 2nd and 3rd Mega Evo specials didn't feature Zinnia.
  • The lack of noteworthy ORAS promotion in the XY saga itself outside of Sawyer and a few wild Pokemon.
  • Tierno, Trevor and Shauna being awfully bland friendly rivals who may as well have not existed.
  • Showcase arc being rushed. Also the decision to change Serena's goal to Contests when Showcases ended.
  • Alain showing up in the main series and wrecking everyone.
  • NO Drasna or Wikstrom in actual episodes. Also no Chatelaines.

I'm still confused as to why people keep saying that Bonnie didn't do anything important. I can definitely understand not liking her and she did a lot of traditionally cute things, but I think her role in the Team Flare arc was more than enough to justify her inclusion in the cast. No one could have fit that role considering how much she bonded with Squishy and everyone else was busy with their own roles during the Team Flare arc too. I still don't mind that Iris didn't get an appearance in Kalos, but it would have been nice if they had still used all of the Kalos Elite 4 instead of just two of them.

Serena's goal didn't change to Contests either. She specifically said that she was going on a Performance journey and she still wants to be a Kalos Queen like Aria. She's just using Contests as a stepping stone in order to become a better Pokemon Performer. That still frustrates me on many levels and it was a really bad decision in my opinion, but Serena didn't suddenly want to become a Top Coordinator instead of the next Kalos Queen.

Liked:
+Gorgeous animation
+Team Flare
+Bonnie (before the title change)
+Cool battles
+Pokemon with a lot of depth and personality
+Team Rocket at their second best
+Ash at his best
+Amourshipping (poor fool, she makes me laugh)
+Gym Leaders
+The most dramatic and dire moments since DP

Disliked
-Ash-tachii at its second dullest
-Clemont being useless between his gym battle with Ash and the Flare crisis
-Serena not doing much for the first 40 episodes
-The rivals were chumps
-Showcases
-Ash was a stiff this time, and may have been a little TOO good...
-The overall cast being small, with recurring characters going long stretches between appearances, the COTD population the highest it had been since early AG, and an almost record breaking number of episodes where Ash-tachii & the TRio were the only humans around.
-Ash getting TWO Dragon-types, and then not doing much with them
-Ash-Greninja
-Some of those dramatic moments were them making mountains out of molehills

Last edited:
  1. Ash NOT Moving onto the Elite 4(If He needed to lose in order to move to the next region; He could just lose against one of the Region's elite 4 after winning the Pokemon League, It's not THAT hard to figure out a way for him to be able to continue, and have a League Victory under his belt; I Mean, He Won the Orange League and STILL Was allowed to move onto the next region; Why not do that for any of the video game regional leagues, Maybe he could(and DEFINITELY s-h-o-u-l-d) do that in Galar?!!

The lack of time due to the anniversary was a factor but I feel like this might also be because there was barely any material on the rest of the Elite 4 aside from Malva. I can only hope they get further developed in Galar.

There really isn't any suitable option, looking at the Gen 6 mons and the whole Kalos pokedex even.

I will always disagree with this. Her trying to find a goal was the point.

I feel like she might in Galar? Leon and Hop looks alot like her...

I actually really didn't mind them. It's no worse than how they did Barry. Shauna was actually pretty good in terms of being Serena's rival.

• Also the decision to change Serena's goal to Contests when Showcases ended.

Literally the worst thing ever. There was no need for her to go to Hoenn since ORAS is no longer a thing. Contest aren't even in Alola. Like what was the point??

The lack of time due to the anniversary was a factor but I feel like this might also be because there was barely any material on the rest of the Elite 4 aside from Malva. I can only hope they get further developed in Galar.

Considering how some people thought that Ash was too good during XY and had issues with his team, I don't know if Ash getting to the Elite 4 would have been well received either. People would have been excited about it, but it could have also been annoying for some if the focus was still primarily on Ash Greninja.

SerenaToAlola said:
There really isn't any suitable option, looking at the Gen 6 mons and the whole Kalos pokedex even.

I still feel like Skiddo would have been a nice choice for Ash, although maybe they didn't want to give him a Pokemon that he could easily ride around on. At the very least, I wish that they had given Ash a sixth Pokemon instead of just saving that slot for Goodra, especially when Goodra didn't really have any standout moments during the Kalos League.

SerenaToAlola said:
I feel like she might in Galar? Leon and Hop looks alot like her...

I don't think that would be a good reason for her to show up in Galar. I wouldn't be against the idea necessarily, but I think that there would need to be something more for Iris to show up beyond new characters having similar designs to her.

SerenaToAlola said:
I actually really didn't mind them. It's no worse than how they did Barry. Shauna was actually pretty good in terms of being Serena's rival.

Barry wasn't a typical upbeat friendly rival though. He had more personality than the XY rivals and was often impatient/eager for a battle whenever he ran into Ash. Shauna wasn't really much of a rival for Serena, but a lot of that has to do with how I don't think Showcases were nearly as difficult as the show kept trying to say that they were. Plus, Serena defeating Shauna in a regular Showcase really ruined any impact defeating her in the Master Class could have had. While I don't think that Tierno was a great rival either, I thought he was an improvement over how he was handled in the games. At least he actually had a team that fit nicely with his goal and used dance moves as part of his battling style. I still don't know why they didn't give him a Ludicolo in the games, but at least he got on in the anime. Plus, he was shown to be pretty good in battle and I still think his match against Sawyer was the best battle of the Kalos League. Trevor was just extremely boring and would be more forgettable if he wasn't used to further hype up Alain's Mega Charizard X.

SerenaToAlola said:
Literally the worst thing ever. There was no need for her to go to Hoenn since ORAS is no longer a thing. Contest aren't even in Alola. Like what was the point??

I can kind of see why they did that. Serena didn't want to stay in one place learning from one person because she felt like she wouldn't be able to grow more properly. So the idea of going on a journey to improve her performance skills kind of made sense. I just think it was a terrible idea to have her use Contests as a stepping stone for her true goal for so many reasons. She'd be better off traveling around as a Pokemon Street Performer instead since at least that would more directly benefit her goal. Becoming a Coordinator just requires her to learn new skills that wouldn't really translate as well into Showcases. Plus, using a much more challenging goal in order to improve her skills for Showcases, probably one of the easiest competitions shown thus far, is just rather bothersome.

Are we just going to pretend that Skiddo's and Phantump's lines didn't exist? There were older Grass-types available in Kalos as well, which were free game since it's not like the cast was restricted to only catching Kalos Pokemon (Clemont caught Luxray despite it being from Gen 4 and having no relevance to Gen 6). Point is that there were options for him as far as Grass-types go, it's just that the writers said "nah" and called it a day...

Last edited:
Are we just going to pretend that Skiddo's and Phantump's lines didn't exist? There were older Grass-types available in Kalos as well, which were free game since it's not like the cast was restricted to only catching Kalos Pokemon (Clemont caught Luxray despite it being from Gen 4 and having no relevance to Gen 6). Point is that there were options for him as far as Grass-types go, it's just that the writers said "nah" and called it a day...

I did* consider them but I don't think either fits ash. Skiddo would be a better fit with Serena. Phantump, Jessie.

(Edited for typo lol)

Last edited:
I didn't consider them but I don't think either fits ash. Skiddo would be a better fit with Serena. Phantump, Jessie.

I don't know if Skiddo would really fit with Serena. It would be some kind of Pokemon she could race with, but that wasn't something she was really interested and showed no desire to combine her racing skills with her Performances. Admittedly, it would have been interesting to see how she could have incorporated a Skiddo in her performances, but I don't think it would have been a better fit for Serena than Ash.

Jessie already got a Pumpkaboo, so I don't think that they would have given her a Phantump on top of it, especially when Team Rocket seem to get only one capture per series nowadays. I could have seen it working for Ash as kind of a rival for Jessie's Pumpkaboo. There would have been the added bonus of Ash getting his first official Ghost type Pokemon since I don't think Haunter really counts.

I mean I can kinda understand why some people wouldn't have wanted Ash to get Skiddo or Phantump, but the point that they were two Kalos Grass-types that Ash could've caught still stands. The writers for whatever reason must not have cared enough about Ash having a Grass Pokemon in XY, but you'd think that they would've given him something to fill that last slot instead of them just waiting for Goodra to come back for the league and then having Ash ditch him afterwards.

Considering how some people thought that Ash was too good during XY
Why would they have a problem with that; He was at his MOST Competant, and at his very best!!! Why would they want him to be a loser or incompetant like in Best wishes, or A Human Pincushion like in Alola?!!
. Trevor was just extremely boring
I Disagree; He was the only one who Kept his Game Counterpart's Goal in the Anime[like he doesn't have any differences between his in-game character & anime characterization]; Wanting to take Pictures of all the Pokemon in the Pokedex. . . I Mean It's definitely got Its charm; Since It's not like any other canon(meaning they're also in the games and not just anime-exclusive characters) non-filler characters

Why would they have a problem with that; He was at his MOST Competant, and at his very best!!! Why would they want him to be a loser or incompetant like in Best wishes, or A Human Pincushion like in Alola?!!

I still think his skills were better in DP. His team was overall better and his Gym battles were generally better than what we saw from Kalos. He wasn't bad in XY by any means, but I just think DP has an edge over XY in terms of Ash being competent. I don't think that people wanted him to be a loser or incompetent. I think that the problem for some people was that he was kind of put on a high pedestal and had long stretches of victories. I can kind of see that issue, particularly with putting Ash on a high pedestal, but it didn't really bother me that much. I also still don't really see how he's a human punching bag in Alola and that he wasn't that bad in BW.

p0pp1i0D3f3nd3r said:
I Disagree; He was the only one who Kept his Game Counterpart's Goal in the Anime[like he doesn't have any differences between his in-game character & anime characterization]; Wanting to take Pictures of all the Pokemon in the Pokedex. . . I Mean It's definitely got Its charm; Since It's not like any other canon(meaning they're also in the games and not just anime-exclusive characters) non-filler characters

Wanting to take pictures of Pokemon isn't a bad goal, but there just isn't much to really do with it to make the goal or by extension Trevor more interesting. Sometimes the anime changing characterization or events from the games can be good. Tierno actually had a team that fit with his goal and the Team Flare arc was a more solid climax, or at least more interesting, than what we got from X/Y. Plus, Trevor barely had any noteworthy appearances. Shauna introduced Serena to Pokemon Showcases and became her rival. Tierno tried to help Ash prepare for a Gym battle and showed up a few times in order to battle against Ash. The only noteworthy appearance from Trevor was when he wanted to take a picture of Moltres, but that was because of Ash's Fletchinder evolving. They could have found another character or reason to go find Moltres instead of having Trevor appear. Even Trevor taking part in the Kalos League came out of nowhere when he had little interest in battling and he was included just so that Alain could crush his team with just Mega Charizard X.

I agree. He was really cute and refreshing throughout. I wish he had appeared more and done more but whenever he appeared it was fun.

Because struggle drives the narrative and allows people to have an easier time connecting to the character. IIRC Ash struggled once against Viola and then was like "nuh uh, I'm great" for the rest of the series up to XY&Z where his biggest struggle was "I'm 2 stronk to control dis" (I know it's not as simple as that, but from a general perspective that's how it was). The point isn't to make him an absolute loser, though, and I understand some people don't really care about this stuff, of course.

I can't deny I was rooting for Shota above everyone else on the league just because he didn't spend most of his screen time being too good.

Something I disliked was how little pokemon Clemont and Serena have. They both only had 3 in their traveling party and that's pretty sad imo. They could have given Serena a cosplay Pikachu and a Swablu/Altaria. If not, I think it'll be cute if Serena and Clemont got Plusle and Minun respectively, they can be Pikachu's cheerleaders.

Last edited:
I can't fully talk about this since I've only seen tidbits of the series, but like.

Ash-Greninja.

I love Greninja as much as the next guy, but did we really need to make Ash's a special snowflake one that afterwards got implemented in the main games?

You have a Charizard that can Mega Evolve in the box, man! You have a Sceptile that can Mega Evolve in the box! Or use Mega Heracross for all I care!

Alain having a Charizard as well would have made perfect sense for Charizard to return and duke it out while showing how strong it got while training, especially since it is one of the very few mons that is, apparently, a somewhat recurring member.

Something I disliked was how little pokemon Clemont and Serena have. They both only had 3 in their traveling party and that's pretty sad imo. They could have given Serena a cosplay Pikachu and a Swablu/Altaria. If not, I think it'll be cute if Serena and Clemont got Plusle and Minun respectively, they can be Pikachu's cheerleaders.

Given their goals didn't really require battling, I think that having three Pokemon made sense for both Serena and Clemont. Having too many Pokemon could have resulted in some of them becoming too forgettable, which happened with other characters like Misty and Brock's original series teams. As cute as the idea of Serena having a cosplay Pikachu sounds, I don't think that they'd want to give another main character a Pikachu. Plusle and Minun being Pikachu's cheerleaders sounds like a cute idea too, but I wouldn't want them to have a team slot used primarily for a cheerleader.

That being said, I would have been okay with Serena catching a fourth Pokemon. That could have potentially worked out okay, even though I still think three was a good limit given how her goal didn't involve battling. A Sawblu would have been a nice fit. I still wish that May had caught one back in AG and it could have potentially given the series a bit more OR/AS promotion if she was able to get a Mega Altaria. I still wish that Mega Luxray happened during OR/AS so Clemont could have gotten one. It's a shame since I really liked the backstory between Clemont and Luxray and seeing Luxio come to be with Clemont after all that time was still touching, but Luxray didn't get a lot of standout moments afterwards.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom