• Bubapedia Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Our technical staff are continuing to monitor the wiki to try and resolve these ongoing issues that are impacting page and image loading. We apologize for the inconvenience. We'll update as soon as we've got more information on this for you.

• Check out our new Mysterious Garden forum style if you haven't already - we're sure you'll love it!
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Things you “should” like but don’t

Battista

Nostalgic Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Have you ever had something that seems like it should be right up your alley, but for some reason it just doesn’t appeal to you? If someone were to recommend it, they would likely be surprised if you said no? Maybe you’d be surprised yourself?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is Escape Rooms. I really like games and puzzles and am in the millennial demographic that seems to be the target audience. But I’ve never had an urge to get a group of friends and try it out. Maybe Blumhouse ruined it with their movies?

Orchid

remarkably unremarkable
Reaction score
Pronouns
he/him
The first one that comes to mind for me personally are ARGs, and similarly, the "analog horror" genre. I like the concept of those things on paper, and I know they can be great when executed well (I really enjoyed Petscop, and that whole "Mario 64 personalization" thing from a couple years ago), but for the most part... I just find a lot of it pretty corny.

Also, a few musical artists. Despite being the exact target audience for their music, I really can't get into My Chemical Romance at all. I don't dislike them — their style is just not really my thing — but man, my friends won't let me hear the end of it. :p

dashing_stunning

A relic of the glorious age
Reaction score
Modern anime/manga.

I am an avid player of Jrpgs to the point I never play western games. And Japanese games and anime/manga are closely inter-related so I should enjoy them, right?

... WRONG. oh so Wrong.
I hate them. From the tropes to the humor, everything falls flat for me. I can't stand how many episodes there are, can't stand the fact I can't just finish a story with a sense of completion like I do with games, can't stand the fact that I have to see another genki 'Omnomnomnom' big eater girl joke for a bazillionth time, I don't want no moe, no 'can't get no girl's guy jokes, none of it, period. Japanese games are SO much better, in writing, in pacing, in everything and the worst moments in those games actually what makes them closer to anime.

Kung Fu Ferret

Soaring Hope
Reaction score
Pronouns
He/Him
I never got into Yu-Gi-Oh for some reason. I really like a lot of mythology, but something about Yu-Gi-Oh, especially the anime, just didn't make sense to me. Also the fact that when it first came out, it was in the same time slot as Digimon but on a different channel, didn't help. I was already committed to the digital monsters and didn't want to have to switch between two shows during commercial breaks back in the day.

Aulos

Sappho's Friend
Reaction score
Pronouns
She / Her
Romanticism in Classical music (aside from some very late era music). I would say it's the only style of classical music I am not as big of a fan of, but if we began talking about 20th and 21st century styles (twelve tone serialism and beyond) then that wouldn't be true... BUT as far as early 20th century and before it is the only era of classical music that doesn't vibe with me.

It's unfair to say that as a whole, but you know what I mean.

Nicolas721

Reaction score
Family guy, Rick & Morty, South Park, etc. I like dark comedies but those ones just go too far they become hard to watch. I also don't like that those shows can get away with making racist and sexist jokes all the time but when other shows slip up they get hardly punished.

SpongeBob, I like the sea and I loved similar comedies of the time like Fairly OddParents and KND Kids Next Door, but for some reason I just couldn't connect to the characters, they felt so...dumb. I liked the colored Krabby Patties and the first movie though.

Star Wars. I've watched a few parts of the prequels but haven't really enjoyed them, they felt like slow-paced condensed seasons of a show. And nowadays it's public knowledge that the franchise has too many installments to keep up with and most of them rely on nostalgia. I liked the Clone Wars Tartakovsky series as a kid and might see it again someday though, even if I didn't completely understand what's going on.

Neo Blaze

At least let me dream a little
Reaction score
Pronouns
He / Him
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

- Pokémon: Legends Arceus

- Gaming in general. I'm not much of a gamer, even though I have a lot of other "nerdy" interests and hobbies. Gaming is just something I never really got into, except for most of the big Nintendo titles. It just seems like too much of an expensive hobby to keep up with, and most of the popular games nowadays don't really interest me for some reason anyway.

- As for one that got recommended to me by an online friend who is a hardcore fan of it: My Hero Academia. By all accounts it should allign with my tastes, but it just... doesn't. I found it pretty lacklustre and never really got into it. Although I've come to realize I don't care for most big shonen anime, with a few notable exceptions.

Last edited:

bittersweetVICTORY

Reaction score
Pronouns
she/her/hers
For some reason, Nichijou just never appealed to me, even tho I really enjoy a lot of similar over-the-top goofy slice of life stuff. The music's great though, and I'll happily consume that on its own.

ToxicWhiskers

Hey! Mission!
Reaction score
Pronouns
She/They
I don't really enjoy using Netflix anymore. I used to love it, but I find the feature where things start automatically playing in the background really aggravating, like I'm just looking at a show's menu and deciding whether I want to watch it or not. But no, they're all like, "I'm playing this for you whether you like it or not." And you can only turn this off if you're using Netflix on a computer or other device, but not on a TV.

Plus, a lot of thumbnails they use seem to be promo images from later seasons or screenshots that contain obvious spoilers, which I guess is harder to avoid when you're watching a completed series. I shouldn't get so hung up about spoilers and it's probably a tactic to lure viewers in, but sometimes it makes it harder to actually enjoy the show.

At least most of the other streaming services I use don't do either of these things. There, I said it.

In some ways, I kind of miss the days of DVDs and Blu-Rays, especially making of features and other bonus bits. At least Disney+ is starting to include these.

Last edited: