• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you “should” like but don’t

Reaction score
Have you ever had something that seems like it should be right up your alley, but for some reason it just doesn’t appeal to you? If someone were to recommend it, they would likely be surprised if you said no? Maybe you’d be surprised yourself?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is Escape Rooms. I really like games and puzzles and am in the millennial demographic that seems to be the target audience. But I’ve never had an urge to get a group of friends and try it out. Maybe Blumhouse ruined it with their movies?

The first one that comes to mind for me personally are ARGs, and similarly, the "analog horror" genre. I like the concept of those things on paper, and I know they can be great when executed well (I really enjoyed Petscop, and that whole "Mario 64 personalization" thing from a couple years ago), but for the most part... I just find a lot of it pretty corny.

Also, a few musical artists. Despite being the exact target audience for their music, I really can't get into My Chemical Romance at all. I don't dislike them — their style is just not really my thing — but man, my friends won't let me hear the end of it. :p

Modern anime/manga.

I am an avid player of Jrpgs to the point I never play western games. And Japanese games and anime/manga are closely inter-related so I should enjoy them, right?

... WRONG. oh so Wrong.
I hate them. From the tropes to the humor, everything falls flat for me. I can't stand how many episodes there are, can't stand the fact I can't just finish a story with a sense of completion like I do with games, can't stand the fact that I have to see another genki 'Omnomnomnom' big eater girl joke for a bazillionth time, I don't want no moe, no 'can't get no girl's guy jokes, none of it, period. Japanese games are SO much better, in writing, in pacing, in everything and the worst moments in those games actually what makes them closer to anime.

I never got into Yu-Gi-Oh for some reason. I really like a lot of mythology, but something about Yu-Gi-Oh, especially the anime, just didn't make sense to me. Also the fact that when it first came out, it was in the same time slot as Digimon but on a different channel, didn't help. I was already committed to the digital monsters and didn't want to have to switch between two shows during commercial breaks back in the day.

Romanticism in Classical music (aside from some very late era music). I would say it's the only style of classical music I am not as big of a fan of, but if we began talking about 20th and 21st century styles (twelve tone serialism and beyond) then that wouldn't be true... BUT as far as early 20th century and before it is the only era of classical music that doesn't vibe with me.

It's unfair to say that as a whole, but you know what I mean.

Family guy, Rick & Morty, South Park, etc. I like dark comedies but those ones just go too far they become hard to watch. I also don't like that those shows can get away with making racist and sexist jokes all the time but when other shows slip up they get hardly punished.

SpongeBob, I like the sea and I loved similar comedies of the time like Fairly OddParents and KND Kids Next Door, but for some reason I just couldn't connect to the characters, they felt so...dumb. I liked the colored Krabby Patties and the first movie though.

Star Wars. I've watched a few parts of the prequels but haven't really enjoyed them, they felt like slow-paced condensed seasons of a show. And nowadays it's public knowledge that the franchise has too many installments to keep up with and most of them rely on nostalgia. I liked the Clone Wars Tartakovsky series as a kid and might see it again someday though, even if I didn't completely understand what's going on.

- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

- Pokémon: Legends Arceus

- Gaming in general. I'm not much of a gamer, even though I have a lot of other "nerdy" interests and hobbies. Gaming is just something I never really got into, except for most of the big Nintendo titles. It just seems like too much of an expensive hobby to keep up with, and most of the popular games nowadays don't really interest me for some reason anyway.

- As for one that got recommended to me by an online friend who is a hardcore fan of it: My Hero Academia. By all accounts it should allign with my tastes, but it just... doesn't. I found it pretty lacklustre and never really got into it. Although I've come to realize I don't care for most big shonen anime, with a few notable exceptions.

Last edited:
I don't really enjoy using Netflix anymore. I used to love it, but I find the feature where things start automatically playing in the background really aggravating, like I'm just looking at a show's menu and deciding whether I want to watch it or not. But no, they're all like, "I'm playing this for you whether you like it or not." And you can only turn this off if you're using Netflix on a computer or other device, but not on a TV.

Plus, a lot of thumbnails they use seem to be promo images from later seasons or screenshots that contain obvious spoilers, which I guess is harder to avoid when you're watching a completed series. I shouldn't get so hung up about spoilers and it's probably a tactic to lure viewers in, but sometimes it makes it harder to actually enjoy the show.

At least most of the other streaming services I use don't do either of these things. There, I said it.

In some ways, I kind of miss the days of DVDs and Blu-Rays, especially making of features and other bonus bits. At least Disney+ is starting to include these.

Last edited:
I can’t believe I forgot about this one but with the new Amazon series as a reminder it needs to be said. I really Tolkien as a worldbuilder and philosopher but I have a very hard time actually getting through his stories.

Fellowship of the Ring is the only movie from the original trilogy I’ve watched all the way through though I have seen and enjoyed pieces of the others. Was really not a fan of the first Hobbit movie and never bothered with the sequels. Bookwise I have tried with both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings but I think my attention span is too short, I just find myself drifting away far too easily :p

In contrast, I definitely admire Tolkien himself after reading biographies about his life, and his lecture “On Fairy Stories” is a treasure. Also if my profile pic and background don’t give it away, the imagery that comes from his stories is peak fantasy in my opinion. If anyone finds a Pokémon fan creation set in a Pokéverse version of Middle Earth by all means let me know.

So I feel pretty comfortable calling myself a fan, but I also feel like a fraud if that makes any sense.

Edit: also I feel like a bad nerd, but comics/graphic novels just don’t do it for me. Most I have read feel overly expositional. Maybe because the “word pictures” have been replaced with actual ones. They have a place but just not my thing.

Last edited:
The outdoors. I love nature and animals and beautiful scenery, and I love learning more about the natural world. But actually being in it? It turns out I hate bugs, sweating, and getting wet or dirty, and getting even slightly hurt by anything is a no-go for me. I really wish I was more outdoorsy! But I can only handle tiny doses before I start wishing to go back inside and just read about it instead.

Well, despite it being part of my favorite RPG franchise, I have a lot of trouble trying to like Breath of Fire 4.

The story is one of the better ones but I just can't connect to the main characters. This game's Nina is the weakest in my eyes, Ryu's dragon powers are a huge letdown after Breath of Fire 3's glorious Dragon Gene system, with many of them being downright ugly, I can't stand Cray or Deis in this game despite loving Katt/Rei and Deis' previous version, the combo system, while good, suffers a lot from timing issues, as a character's Agility can make or break the combo, while also robbing the game of several staple spells from past games like Lightning element spells, the map has been HEAVILY simplified, giving you preset paths and no room to explore, fishing is a real pain now, as it became way too "realistic", the minigames are downright obnoxious and several of them are required to progress the game, with at least one per area, its placement in the timeline is very much up for debate, and the Master system is a bit too convoluted, with many obscure, stupid, or extremely difficult requirements to meet in order to get good skills.

Not to mention I hate a lot of the NPCs in the game. Kahn is an overrated "comic relief", Marlock is the worst member of the Manillo Clan I've ever seen, I LOATHE Zig and his crew for being sexist pricks, Chino is a real brat who forces the party into two of the aforementioned obnoxious minigames in one of the most difficult-to-navigate towns in the game, Yuna is... well... Yuna, especially since he becomes a Karma Houdini, and more. Really, it's often cited as the best Breath of Fire game but I personally feel that Breath of Fire 3 is far superior, especially since 3 actually makes you ask several moral questions throughout the game, especially after beating it, while 4 feels more like a "back to basics" situation.

Overall, Breath of Fire 4 feels like a really big letdown following Breath of Fire 3, and I can't really get myself to enjoy it like I can with other Breath of Fire games.

EDIT: One thing I forgot. To Breath of Fire 4's credit, it does have beautiful sprites and music. And at least I like it better than Breath of Fire 5. Don't even get me started on THAT monstrosity.

Last edited:
Pokemon HGSS. This game has a lot of features, but somehow it isn't my favorite mainline Pokemon game (it's ORAS and the Gen 5 games instead). I don't really care for most of the Johto characters expect for Morty, Silver and Karen, it's hard to level up Pokemon and some HGSS fans love to bash other games which is something that I don't like especially as an ORAS fan. I'll be honest, HGSS is an example of how I don't really care if a game has a lot of cool features even though its story sucks and has problems that actually affect the gameplay. In my own opinion, just because something is beloved by critics and the fandom alike, it doesn't mean that I'm going automatically to like it.

Anime. I SHOULD be getting into them, especially popular ones like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and One Piece, but I just... couldn't.

Funny enough, I used to watch quite a lot as a kid (mainly Pokémon and Digimon), but as I got older the interest kinda fell off. Speaking of Jojo, wasn't there another bizarre anime comedy called Bobobo-something or other, which was on Cartoon Network in the early 2000s? And I think there was this blue jelly thing as one of the main characters.

Last edited:
Another recently came to mind. The first trilogy in the MegaMan Battle Network series, specifically BN3 (though I do have trouble liking BN2, as well). Considering BN3 was supposed to be the finale I feel they could've done better, especially since BN6 did a much better job tying up as many loose ends as possible. Getting back on track, a lot of my distain for BN3 lies mostly in the bosses. Many are gimmicky, have obstacles, hang out in the back row, or any combination of the above, making them flat-out annoying to fight. And some had ridiculous requirements to the later versions (ie: BubbleMan Beta will only appear if you're at critical HP, showing he's a coward).

Next up, the Navi Customizer was really flawed, especially since it worked hand-in-hand with Style Change in that game, effectively locking you out of certain Navi Customizer Parts unless you specifically grinded to get a certain Style. And forget about the version exclusive NCPs. An added nail in the coffin is that the certain NCPs were needed to progress the story, some of which were obnoxious and gimmicky (like Press or Energy Charge). While I have issues with BN4's Navi Customizer at least it was the first time you could have access to all the NCPs without needing to endlessly grind to get them.

So, overall, I have some trouble liking the first trilogy of Battle Network, especially BN3. I'm willing to give BN1 a pass since it just screams "first try" and it was laying out the foundation for the series. And that game wasn't too bad for a first try, either. While BN4 was a train wreck it at least smoothed out several rough edges that the first few games had, along with opening up better mechanics that would become mainstays (Emotion Window, more useful transformations, AirHockey, etc).

Many people tell me that I would make a great mortician, but I have no interest in pursuing that field whatsoever. I'm not squeamish or anything, I'm just kinda ambivalent to it. Honestly, I'd rather know what about me screams "I want to give corpses makeovers," as opposed to literally any other profession in existence.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom