• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you want to see done in Pokemon Gen 8 (2019)

• The option to skip tutorials. I've seen people suggest a question at the start asking "have you played Pokemon" and using that to set all other tutorials, but actually, it's even easier than that: Just ask "Do you want to learn about X?" at the start of any tutorial, and skip past it if players say no. (And let new players repeat tutorials)
  • Let nicknames be changed at any point. Names are purely for fun, and don't affect game balance or anything like that-why should you have to progress in the game to change them? (Shoutout to XY, where you couldn't change names until after the fifth badge-that's more than halfway in the game!)
  • Speaking of which-stop with the block on renaming Pokemon with other OTs. Yes, some people have sentimental nicknames for Pokemon, but I doubt anybody's going to give sentimental Pokemon away forever. At most, they'd lend them and ask for them back, at which point they could just rename them to what they wanted.
  • A type-boosting item for the Fairy-type. It's so minor, but it just doesn't seem right to leave it out.
  • More Poke Ball designs, they're always fun.

• Speaking of which-stop with the block on renaming Pokemon with other OTs. Yes, some people have sentimental nicknames for Pokemon, but I doubt anybody's going to give sentimental Pokemon away forever. At most, they'd lend them and ask for them back, at which point they could just rename them to what they wanted.
This, I know I'm not the only one who likes having all the names of my Pokemon in the same language or letting them have their original name instead of a nickname.

moves and abilities that would trap and immobilize from using moves or escaping oponents for one turn like a new entry hazard? a sound type entry hazard? could be ghost or fairy.

I am thinking that Generation VIII might not be able to communicate with previous games, just like how Generation III couldn't communicate with Generations I or II, and in Generation III, they introduced about 130 Pokemon. So based on that, I am leaning towards 130 Pokemon being introduced in Generation VIII. I agree with some people to minimise the Kanto Pokemon and have more focus on the newer Pokemon. I would prefer a more open world for Generation VIII. like visiting Gyms/Trials in any order, and with Generation II, this was done in a limited way when it came to Kanto in which the first seven gyms were able to be done in any order (Viridian City was locked until you did the other seven Kanto gyms though).

With Eevee, I am leaning towards a Poison-type evolution (I read somewhere that one of the evolved forms of Eevee introduced in Generation II was intended to be a Poison-type) and Bug-type. There were evolved forms of Eevee introduced in Generations II, IV and VI so I think in Generation VIII, there will be a new Eeveelution with Poison- and Bug-types introduced.

I would also like to see new Pokemon introduced mid-generation in Generation VIII.

I am thinking that Generation VIII might not be able to communicate with previous games, just like how Generation III couldn't communicate with Generations I or II, and in Generation III, they introduced about 130 Pokemon. So based on that, I am leaning towards 130 Pokemon being introduced in Generation VIII. I agree with some people to minimise the Kanto Pokemon and have more focus on the newer Pokemon. I would prefer a more open world for Generation VIII. like visiting Gyms/Trials in any order, and with Generation II, this was done in a limited way when it came to Kanto in which the first seven gyms were able to be done in any order (Viridian City was locked until you did the other seven Kanto gyms though).

With Eevee, I am leaning towards a Poison-type evolution (I read somewhere that one of the evolved forms of Eevee introduced in Generation II was intended to be a Poison-type) and Bug-type. There were evolved forms of Eevee introduced in Generations II, IV and VI so I think in Generation VIII, there will be a new Eeveelution with Poison- and Bug-types introduced.

I would also like to see new Pokemon introduced mid-generation in Generation VIII.
I don't think that Gen 8 will be unable to communicate with previous games. GF created Pokemon Bank to ensure that this situation never happens again.

I don't think that Gen 8 will be unable to communicate with previous games. GF created Pokemon Bank to ensure that this situation never happens again.
Not only that, but Gen I and II are now also compatible with the current generation, which' system was build on Gen III's. There's little to no reason to disable communication between the current and next games (though it will probably remain one-way)

As far as transfers go, one thing I am worried about is that they're going to discontinue support for Transporter and all of our 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen Pokemon would be stuck in those games from that point on. I'm not sure they can keep Bank compatible with the DS games forever as the series shifts to newer hardware.

I know lots of people say they want the game more open-world like the latest Zelda and Mario, but I have no idea how that could work. One way that I WOULD like to see it be similar to Zelda, though, is a more explorative dynamic. Like, send you off into the wilderness with just your Pokemon, similar to Link just roaming around Hyrule. I think if they did this, they could also revamp the Totem Pokemon idea .It kind of bothered me that despite being wild Pokemon, all the totems (well, I guess except for Kommo-o) were basically tied to a trial captian, which in a sense didn't make them feel "wild." Also, if they keep the whole thing from Let's Go where you see the Pokemon in the wild before you battle, I think a bigger world is a must.

Easy. Make a seamless world in which you can go in any direction you want and allow gym battles/trials/whatever to be beaten in any order like with BotW's Divine Beasts.

• Let nicknames be changed at any point. Names are purely for fun, and don't affect game balance or anything like that-why should you have to progress in the game to change them? (Shoutout to XY, where you couldn't change names until after the fifth badge-that's more than halfway in the game!)
But XY's name changer was in Camphrier Town, accessible before the second badge. Did you misremember?

The only part about this block that's really been bugging me: I have no way to change the name of my unnicknamed Japanese Kartana in USUM to its English equivalent. Come on Game Freak, you made wireless international trading a thing back in Gen IV and this is still a problem? Not every Pokémon is lucky enough to evolve...

Besides the aforementioned Fairy-boosting item, I'd also like to see a space to keep all these items we're getting that isn't the Bag. We've gotten so many items by now, even divided over categories some pockets are just really, really full. With the changed item selection while in-battle the separate Pokeball pocket was no longer necessary, but now the normal items pocket is just overflowing... I mean, there are tons of other items in there too, but it's definitely one of those things that just create extra clutter

The things I'd really like to see aren't exactly new, but instead returning from older games:
- I'd love to see the player character to first meet his/her starter Pokemon in the lab again, since this hasn't happened for a good long while now.
- A hot spring with healing properties again (similiar to Ember Spa in FireRed/LeafGreen)
- The return of all elemental Gems
- The return of swarming Pokemon and D/P/Pt PokeRadar mechanic (which allowed you to find Pokemon outside the regional Dex)

Just remembered what I want for the Gen 8 games to include, a separate pocket for Mega Stones, also keep Z-Crystals in their own pocket as well. Basically, remove as much clutter as possible. Clutter is the reason why I don't even care about using held items in the first place. Way too much stuff in one pocket if there aren't additional specific pockets. Heck, it became way too tedious to find the right evolutionary item just to evolve my Pokemon, items should not be hard to find in the bag.

Ditch Natures. One less random aspect that will ideally make people less prone to cheating.

I think they could still be a positive element to gameplay (lots of games involve you boosting one thing at the cost of another), they just need to be able to be altered by the player.

Ditch Natures. One less random aspect that will ideally make people less prone to cheating.
While I think people should play the game in whatever way they like, natures are indeed a double-edged sword. The fact that in competitive play some pokemon become pretty much unusable because of their nature is disappointing. But they do work as flavour, and they did/do have their function.
I think they could still be a positive element to gameplay (lots of games involve you boosting one thing at the cost of another), they just need to be able to be altered by the player.
Being able to alter them at a price seems like a good idea honestly. I thought hyper training was a good step in that direction, though the fact that grinding your pokemon to level 100 in SuMo is made fairly difficult is less great. It's fine to create a fairly high treshold, but SuMo especially has very little way of reliably levelling your pokemon once you're past level 70 or so...

So a way of changing them post-game (cause really, natures matter less during the main game) would be good. I'm pretty sure natures are here to stay. And if altering won't be an option, can't they at least give us an alternative to battles again? Gen VI was a little disappointing in that regard, with the simplification of Contests. I said it elsewhere already, but they were a good way to still feel like a pokemon with a bad nature for competitive battling was still viable in a different aspect of gameplay. Cause a pokemon that benefits from certain stat boosts in battle might very well need different boosts in a contest. And I'd really like to see GF explore that notion again, Pokemon being good at different things. I mean, even the Battle Palace mechanics had you reconsider a Pokemon's nature and moveset, cause what would have worked well in competitive might work less well in that style of battle

And if altering won't be an option, can't they at least give us an alternative to battles again? Gen VI was a little disappointing in that regard, with the simplification of Contests.
In addition, please allow us to do these alternatives online and not limit it to local play. To this day, I’m still disappointed that I can’t do Contests online. I wanted my Contest meta game!

Some LGPE mechanic migration, since it left a positive impression on me. Specifically:
  • A battle facility that includes the Master Trainers system from LGPE (or just have them spread around again). It was interesting training up specific evolutionary forms for mirror matches, and gave every single Pokemon a purpose.
  • The candy/AV system. It was nice to be able to have direct control over competitive aspects from the very start, without the need for a bunch of special equipment that isn't available until halfway through the game, and halfway through my team being ruined with the wrong stat investment from grinding and trainer battles. Plus, the candies and AV's are more powerful than EV's, so it's just a direct upgrade. Bring it in.
  • Nicknaming on the fly. We shouldn't have to go to some random town just because we want to rename our Pokemon.
  • PC box in your inventory. Just give us the standard box sets with backgrounds and names, though. The single box with all of your Pokemon dumped in it was kind of a mess. It was nice being able to change up my team without having to drop what I was doing to run back to the Pokemon Center.
  • Following Pokemon. This is the Switch, a more powerful machine. We've already seen the follow models that were embedded in SM. The follow texts in LGPE were even directly lifted from HGSS, with a few new additions to spice things up. There's no excuse anymore. Make it a permanent part of the game. LGPE even let you put away your Pokemon if you wanted to run around alone. Just commit to this. It's one of the best aspects of a game about bonding with your monsters in the first place.

For other things:
  • Reduced Kanto exposure. Hopefully LGPE allowed them to get their Kanto love out of their system, so the references will be toned down anyway. I love the other Generations of Pokemon, too. I want to see them get loved and integrated into the world, and I'd rather see them as the older Pokemon peppered into the Dex a bit more. I want to see Regional forms and character outfits for them, too.
  • Sidequest-y minigames that contribute to either Pokemon growth or customization. I don't mean anything like the godawful transfer minigames or the musical like in Gen 5. I mean something like a little arcade-y game or puzzle that helps you get candies, or a new hat, or just something to diversify the gameplay a bit. Could even be Inverse Battles, a Battle Pike style maze, PokeWood Studios, or some other ruleset gimmick. A sideshow thing that encourages you to play it, but doesn't hold anything important hostage behind it. Maybe even more small substories, like finding the child's granfather's Dartrix, or teaching the wrestling trainer's Pokemon new moves. I enjoyed those in SM/USUM.
  • E4/Battle facility achievements. I know not everyone cared about achievements, but I kind of enjoyed getting the stars for beating the Pokemon League with a monotype team, or only one Pokemon, or whatever. Just as in my previous point, though, it would be cool if you got a title for it, or a shirt or something.
  • Custom PC box designs, like building them from a template of different patterns or whatever that you can recolor, especially if they're done giving us unlockable PC box skins. I liked those.
  • An auto-kickback system for trade evos on the GTS. You upload your Pokemon on your side, another person uploads their trade evo on their side, they evolve, then get sent back to their owner. Because trade evos are a hassle and need to be made more accessible, especially item trade evos. Make a separate tab for "Evolution Station" or whatever name they can give it. It still requires other people, it no longer requires vetting people across the internet and coordinating timeslots to make sure your Pokemon doesn't get stolen.

- 90+ new pokemon
-less emphasis on kanto UNLESS we get cross-gen evolutions
- bigger, more open routes
-Continues down the story-driven, cinematic path gen 7 was headed, but allows for more flexible progression (think kanto region design, but with SM story)
-Not a tropical/warm region
-keep overworld encounters from LGPE in

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom